Opinions needed: Buying new EPON AF-Tour blades, has anyone played KBS Tour shafts?

Mizunofan

I am close to pulling the trigger on a new set of EPON AF-Tour forged blades (3-PW).

My buddy's pro shop is an authorized EPON fitter. The demo 6-iron I hit had a "SST Pure" KBS Tour X-flex shaft in it. I was hitting the ball well and the feel was great. However, I'm wondering if the shafts simply felt so good because they were "Pure'ed?"

I am a big fan of Nippon Steel Pro 1150 shafts. However, my buddy is recommending the KBS Tour shaft with "pure-ing."

Any experience with KBS shafts vs. NS shafts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Bridgestone Tour B - X driver + FUJIKURA Speeder757 Evolution III 
Cobra F8 Tour 3-wood + ALDILA NV Green 75s
BRIDGESTONE Tour B XD-H 21* + Nippon NS Pro950 UT
Irons: MIZUNO Pro221 + DG S300
Mizuno MP-T5/MP-T22

BETTINARDI BB-1f 

BRIDGESTONE TOUR B RX 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi got a demo 6 iron at the moment with kb tour s flex pured and ive ordered a set in satin finish very good shaft indeed ive had 1150nippon before, not as good as KBs IMO but its your call.

Best of luck Jamie

Thanks for the info., Jamie! I'm going to order my set this weekend. I'm not sure if the satin finish is available through my rep. He currently has a set of heads in the standard finish, told me it will take about a week to build my set.

Can I ask what kind of grips you ordered? I have always played Golf Pride Tour Velvet, thinking of trying one of GP's newer grips.

Jim

Mizuno MP-T5/MP-T22

BETTINARDI BB-1f 

BRIDGESTONE TOUR B RX 

KBS tour 5.5 (stiff) shafts are the best shafts I have ever used. They have added at least 10 yards to my shots.

Doc

what were you playing before? if the KBs are lighter its no surprise you hit them longer. if you want to find an even better shaft by your measure, why not go to graphite? i think iron shafts need to be assessed by how trajectory, accuracy and feel, and not how far you hit them

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Hi Jim, I am in between two, golf pride white/black,or the iomic which i think is much more stickier and seem to be much better when washed and scrubbed,it has taken my club fitter almost 2months to get the satin finish but they will be here this weekend and ill get them on the easter week holidays and i am getting coloured ferrules to match the grips (will post pictures)

Cheers Jamie

Gee, didn't know I was going to be critiqued on my response and that I had to be more specific. I have played the S300's, Project X (6.0), and the NS Pro 1150 shafts and of these three the NS Pro shafts had the best feel and were more responsive. I do have a set of graphite shafts in one of my sets but while they are longer they feel soft, hit it too high, and are not as consistent in accuracy. So, let me say it again, the KBS shafts are the best shafts I have ever hit. They are longer, the trajectory is lower and more boring, and the feel is dynamic. Some of my clients, and I have experienced this also, say they can feel the shafts loading up on the down swing and then feel the release. And, accuracy is much better, a tighter grouping of shots.

So, while I am sure that everyone has their favorite shafts, the new KBS Tour 5.5 shafts are the ones for me. The NS Pro's 1150 would be my second choice.

Doc

Gee, didn't know I was going to be critiqued on my response and that I had to be more specific. I have played the S300's, Project X (6.0), and the NS Pro 1150 shafts and of these three the NS Pro shafts had the best feel and were more responsive. I do have a set of graphite shafts in one of my sets but while they are longer they feel soft, hit it too high, and are not as consistent in accuracy. So, let me say it again, the KBS shafts are the best shafts I have ever hit. They are longer, the trajectory is lower and more boring, and the feel is dynamic. Some of my clients, and I have experienced this also, say they can feel the shafts loading up on the down swing and then feel the release. And, accuracy is much better, a tighter grouping of shots.

So, while I am sure that everyone has their favorite shafts, the new KBS Tour 5.5 shafts are the ones for me. The NS Pro's 1150 would be my second choice.

Doc

thanks, no offense meant. what is your swing speed with driver? im currently looking into maybe changing from DGS300 too. KBS have a more responsive tip which accounts for the kick at the bottom feel.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

No problem :) My swing speed with the driver is 108 and the cpm I use in my driver is 256. I think as a clubbuilder that the S300's are kind of old technology and not as beneficial as some of the newer shafts. The Project X shafts, the N.S. Pro shafts, and the KBS shafts just offer more improvements in their shafts. Kind of make it easier to control your shots and still get that little bit of extra distance. But then again, many excellent golfers still believe in the S300 shafts.

I guess I am just trying to say that you need to test out the different shafts and find the one that is best for you. Ha, we have no problem trying out different irons and drivers until we find what works best for our game. So, why not experiement with different shafts. A master clubbuilder I work with says (not sure I agree totally with him) that about 85% of the performance of a club comes from the shaft. So, the shaft should be our main focus in choosing, not the head.

Anyway, find a shaft that works for you and you will be much happier and shoot lower scores.

Fore!!!!

Doc

The demo 6-iron I hit had a "SST Pure" KBS Tour X-flex shaft in it. I was hitting the ball well and the feel was great. However, I'm wondering if the shafts simply felt so good because they were "Pure'ed?"

No, the shafts feel great anyway.

I am a big fan of Nippon Steel Pro 1150 shafts. However, my buddy is recommending the KBS Tour shaft with "pure-ing."

Any experience with KBS shafts vs. NS shafts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I have a set of AF Tours w/KBS Shafts. They are a perfect match.

The KBS iron and wedge shafts are the only shafts I play now. I am one of the few who do not like the NSPro shafts.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with their feedback!

Jim

Mizuno MP-T5/MP-T22

BETTINARDI BB-1f 

BRIDGESTONE TOUR B RX 

For the record I'm one that tried KBS shafts and didn't really like them. I prefer the Nippon line but, hey, that doesn't mean they're better shafts it just means I prefer them over what's available for "my game".

By the way, where do you guys find demo's in the Epon clubs, I'd love to be able to hit some before pulling the trigger on a set!

Jim

What swingweight did you get on the KBS tours? Someone told me it's best to go with a swingweight of D1 or lighter (lighter than OEM norm of D2) if you really want to feel the effec of the KBS counterbalanced shaft.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

What swingweight did you get on the KBS tours? Someone told me it's best to go with a swingweight of D1 or lighter (lighter than OEM norm of D2) if you really want to feel the effec of the KBS counterbalanced shaft.

3-9 came in at D2 the PW at D3.5

Built off of a 38" 5 iron.

I have iron sets shafted with KBS anywhere from D1 to D3 and don't notice much difference in the effect of the shaft. I prefer the D3 SW over the D1.

For the record I'm one that tried KBS shafts and didn't really like them. I prefer the Nippon line but, hey, that doesn't mean they're better shafts it just means I prefer them over what's available for "my game".

By the way, where do you guys find demo's in the Epon clubs, I'd love to be able to hit some before pulling the trigger on a set!

Jim

NOVOGOLF in Tappan, NY is where I demo'ed and ordered (today) my EPON AF Tour blades.

Mizuno MP-T5/MP-T22

BETTINARDI BB-1f 

BRIDGESTONE TOUR B RX 

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this post.

I ordered my set today:

EPON AF Tour blades (standard chrome finish) w/ KBS Tour shafts -- SST Pure'ed, S-flex, Golf Pride Multidecade Compound (red) grips.

I am picking them up Saturday, will post pics when I get them!

Mizuno MP-T5/MP-T22

BETTINARDI BB-1f 

BRIDGESTONE TOUR B RX 

Jim

NOVOGOLF in Tappan, NY is where I demo'ed and ordered (today) my EPON AF Tour blades.

Congrats! I picked up my set a few weeks ago from the same place!!!! Those guys are the best! 3-PW KBS Tour X flex SST PUREd and MOI Built! AWESOME!!!! I can honestly say, I like them better than my MIURAS! Im a golf whore and buy stuff all the time regardless of how good the product is! haha! But, I will definitely say, probably the best sticks I've played to date. Super soft, great feedback/performance and just works of art. Bill is most definitely talented when it comes to building sticks. Super clean and much better looking than oem.

Did you know chikara wedges will be in sometime within the next couple of weeks???? SICK! :partytime2:

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my new sticks over the weekend, specs are as follows:

EPON AF-TOURs 3-PW

KBS Tour shafts, X-flex, soft-stepped

Golf Pride Multidecade Compound (red) grips

I wholeheartedly agree, NOVOGOLF is the best! Bill is so meticulous when building custom clubs that they look better than the stock Mizunos I used to buy from him.

I was on the fence about having my shafts undergo the SST Pure-ing process, but Bill sold me on the merits of it. Boy, am I ever glad I did! It's hard to describe; the shaft and the clubhead feel like one piece, as if they were carved from a single piece of steel. Each club feels perfectly balanced. I would definitely encourage everyone to demo a club that is "pure'd" vs. one that has not been "pure'd."

Will post pics when the weather clears up tomorrow.

Btw, I should now change my log-in name on the site from "mizunofan" to "EPONfan"

Mizuno MP-T5/MP-T22

BETTINARDI BB-1f 

BRIDGESTONE TOUR B RX 

I've never hit KBS and likley won't. I did however test Nippon Pro's some time back and didn't like them. Not my idea of a performance shaft. As for SST puring, choose your shafts wisely and you'll find it's not needed.

Project X Flighted 6.0 are the best shafts for my game...

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

As for SST puring, choose your shafts wisely and you'll find it's not needed.

Project X Flighted 6.0 are the best shafts for my game...

no offense, but your comment about choosing your shafts wisely and you'll find SST PUREing is not needed sounds like a typical OEM statement. Are you insinuating that PX shafts do not need to be PUREd? I've had 2 sets with PX and every single one of them on the PUREing machine came out all over the place from typical OEM shaft label down install. Some of the shafts were so out of round, it was ridiculous. Playability before and after was night and day and the supporting data on the Trackman proved that my disperson was much tighter with the PUREd set.

I switched to KBS and the roundness factor was significantly better than my PXs, yet they still had quite a bit of out of plane oscillation which was eliminated with PUREing.

In my experience (and I've had quite a bit) with club builders, it's always the guys that dont have the SST PUREing machine that talk down on it and say that Spine alignment or Floing is the same thing blah blah blah. Most if not all the guys that do have the SST PUREing machine also have the latest in fitting technology, shafts, heads, etc. I dont know. That's my take on it and based on the results that I've had, I will never go with typical off the rack builds ever again. You dont know what you're missing until you've had a set built from scratch, with head weight sorting, MOI, Pureing, etc. You cant even compare OEM assembly to a Custom set built by someone that knows what they are doing.

Anyway...sorry mizfan for hijacking your thread. Good luck with the irons. You will love them!

Scuderia (btw, is this your ride?),

No worries, the more opinions the better.

Here are a few pics of the club taken indoors (apologies, not much of a photographer)

Mizuno MP-T5/MP-T22

BETTINARDI BB-1f 

BRIDGESTONE TOUR B RX 

those Epon's look a lot like Titleist forged irons (font style on the #, higher toe/lower heel, Z-inspired back, sole widens from heel to toe, chrome finish.) someone (who should know) had told me Titleist used Epon's founderies.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

Here are a few pics of the club taken indoors (apologies, not much of a photographer)

OK so how're you hitting 'em?

Going from the NS 950 to KBS X-stiff (130 grams sounds like a massive step......... how are you handling it? Even with the soft step, it must feel kinda heavy?

Oh and by the way - you want it feel like "one piece" from shaft to head - get rid of the New Decades. They wear out quickly and will start to feel like the grips aren't giving you any control because of the half cord-half not thing.

These Epons look like the Titleist Zs, eh?