Looking to get a golf scholarship...

However we have a problem....
Ok, well I will be going into my junior year this year and want to get a golf scholarship. The biggest problem I face is this- My school plays sand greens... Yes the greens are sand instead of grass. I live 10 minutes from Manhattan, KS and go there to practice on grass in the summer (Colbert Hills, Stagg Hill, Wildcat Creek, etc).

Needless to say, my putting is awful because I dont get the speed and break right most of the time. I go 3 times a week to colbert to work on my putting and chipping for 2 hours alone, then hit away on the driving range. One day I was there the coach from K-State was there with the team. I was at the far end, staying out of the way. I see him walk up, watch me for about 10 minutes until I am done. He doesnt say a word the whole time. I was wearing my highschool polo at the time so I was hoping he was looking at me, and I was hitting the ball really well that day.

The next week, I was at a demo day at Stagg Hill. The head pro there came out and did the same thing when I was hitting all the clubs there. There were about 50 people there, but he followed me around most of the time, talked to me, got my name and school, etc. He said to me that he thought I was hitting extremely well, and also asked if I was on a golf team, to which I said yes, then he asked if I was the 1 man, which is also true.

My biggest problem is the fact that I play sand greens! Colleges hardly look at Class 3A (school level in kansas, about 220 Highschool students) let alone sand greens. Now my question is- How do I get recognized by colleges? I played with a kid who got a full ride to a D3 school to golf, but didn't bother to ask him how he got it. I ended up beating him 1 of the 2 times we were grouped together.

What should I do? I really want to do this, but simply dont know how...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='putt4_66' date='03 July 2010 - 10:33 PM' timestamp='1278221631' post='2553803']
[quote name='anthonykimfan03' date='03 July 2010 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1278217299' post='2553733']
D-3 schools do not give athletic scholarships
[/quote]

Not true. My godson is on an athletic football scholarship to a D III school. It's not full, but a round number that pays for about 1/2 of total expenses.
[/quote]
No DIII golf scholarships

Pretty sure there aren't any D3 scholarships for any sports. Some get "academic" scholarships in lieu of athletic scholarships. Coaches and sports would obviously play a role in this scenario. This happened for one of my good friends.

To the OP, if you actually have the game to play D1 then coaches will notice you. I went to a smaller high school in Iowa and one of my buddies ended up going to Air Force to play golf. I also have two other buddies that play at a JUCO and DIII school respectively (Same one as mentioned above).

I'm not sure what you shoot, but golf isn't all about distance and ball striking. I know from other posts, you claim to hit the ball very far, maybe these people are enthralled with your distance, as it's something that captivates many. I practice at a course that the local state university team uses and on one occasion the coach commented on my ball striking while I was practicing at the same time as the team. Was I good enough to play there? Heck no, but it was kind of cool to hear that.

[quote name='putt4_66' date='04 July 2010 - 12:33 AM' timestamp='1278221631' post='2553803']
[quote name='anthonykimfan03' date='03 July 2010 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1278217299' post='2553733']
D-3 schools do not give athletic scholarships
[/quote]

Not true. My godson is on an athletic football scholarship to a D III school. It's not full, but a round number that pays for about 1/2 of total expenses.
[/quote]

I was wrong. Division III has no athletic scholarships in ANY sport. The NCAA web site states this fact. I know my godson was recruited by the athletic department for football and offered a small scholarship. His father went to the school and managed to get the scholarship increased. It obviously was an academic scholarship that was offered, and accepted, even though the football coach got involved to some degree. I did not know this until now.

Ref:
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/ncaa/legislation+and+governance/committees/division+iii/general+information/new+diii+homepage+what+does+diii+have+to+offer

[quote name='gboldman23' date='04 July 2010 - 12:50 AM' timestamp='1278226202' post='2553868']
Pretty sure there aren't any D3 scholarships for any sports. Some get "academic" scholarships in lieu of athletic scholarships. Coaches and sports would obviously play a role in this scenario. This happened for one of my good friends.

To the OP, if you actually have the game to play D1 then coaches will notice you. I went to a smaller high school in Iowa and one of my buddies ended up going to Air Force to play golf. I also have two other buddies that play at a JUCO and DIII school respectively (Same one as mentioned above).

I'm not sure what you shoot, but golf isn't all about distance and ball striking. I know from other posts, you claim to hit the ball very far, maybe these people are enthralled with your distance, as it's something that captivates many. I practice at a course that the local state university team uses and on one occasion the coach commented on my ball striking while I was practicing at the same time as the team. Was I good enough to play there? Heck no, but it was kind of cool to hear that.
[/quote]

Yes, I do hit the ball far, but my short game is my Achilles heel on grass greens. Sand greens are crazy slow, thats why I spend so much time on the chipping and putting greens. My accuracy with all clubs, and my mental game is what I am also working on. I can be even in practice then come out the next day in a tourney and shoot 9 over...

Also, the school may be D2... This was 3 months ago he told me this... Just got the name and assumed.

[quote name='drewlbk5231' date='04 July 2010 - 12:07 AM' timestamp='1278216434' post='2553718']
[quote name='Bryant' date='03 July 2010 - 11:10 PM' timestamp='1278213032' post='2553639']
you cant get a sports scholarship to any school thats not NCAA division 1 and even then i think there are tons of restrictions.
[/quote]

Incorrect
[/quote]

dont be misinformed please. when you say that im incorrect you better also use some support to your argument, D3 schools can offer finical aid but they can't offer athletic scholarships.

[quote name='Bryant' date='04 July 2010 - 12:30 PM' timestamp='1278261019' post='2554225']
[quote name='drewlbk5231' date='04 July 2010 - 12:07 AM' timestamp='1278216434' post='2553718']
[quote name='Bryant' date='03 July 2010 - 11:10 PM' timestamp='1278213032' post='2553639']
you cant get a sports scholarship to any school thats not NCAA division 1 and even then i think there are tons of restrictions.
[/quote]

Incorrect
[/quote]

dont be misinformed please. when you say that im incorrect you better also use some support to your argument, D3 schools can offer finical aid but they can't offer athletic scholarships.
[/quote]

Unless there has been a fairly recent and rather drastic change in the rules, all college classifications with the exception of DIII can offer athletic scholarships and the only restrictions are if you have the required athletic skill and have the academic skills to gain admittance.

[quote name='Bryant' date='04 July 2010 - 12:30 PM' timestamp='1278261019' post='2554225']
[/quote]

Incorrect
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ok? Did you know that there is a division between D1 and D3, called d2?(Witty I know) From what I understand, they can offer athletic scholarships, so as the previous poster stated, you are incorrect.

From a college student, rely more on Academic Scholarships... Get in touch with the golf coach at KSU and see exactly what he is looking for. Also, look at Junior Colleges. I know Barton just barely had enough to fill their roster. Check out some of the schools in the Jayhawk Conference.

http://www.kjccc.org/members.html

[quote name='ttaylor0024' date='05 July 2010 - 12:49 AM' timestamp='1278308945' post='2555239']
[quote name='funkyfedora' date='04 July 2010 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1278300583' post='2555106']
Are you wanting to play at KSU? Or just a small school?
[/quote]

I just want a scholarship, take a load off the tuition. Ideally, yes K-State, but that is a long shot.
[/quote]

Scholarships are nice, but they aren't everything. The school has to be a good fit for you. I had the option of having a chance to play golf at a small, academically superior liberal arts school in the midwest or go to a large public school known for partying and not play golf. After visting the private school, I realized that everyone would be exactly like me in terms of socioeconomic status and would not offer as many opportunities to shine as the public school. I chose what may have appeared to be the less academically inclined school, but have yet to have any regrets in my decision and the opportunities it offers.

• 2 weeks later...

Start playing some other tournaments with some good postings. Get a good resume together and no school will say no to a good resume.

Ping G400 LST 8.5 w/ Tensei Orange 70TX tipped 1"Β 
Titleist 917 F3 15 w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.2TS X tipped 1"
Callaway X Forged UT 18 w/ KBS $-Taper X
Mizuno MP-25 4-W w/ C-Taper X
Taylormade Tour Preferred EF Chrome 52/56 w/ KBS Tour S
Taylormade High Toe 60 w/ KBS 610
Odyssey 7

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='garth.diesel' timestamp='1279121307' post='2575350']
Start playing some other tournaments with some good postings. Get a good resume together and no school will say no to a good resume.
[/quote]

How should I go about doing this? pgajuniorseries.com? I dont have alot of money for entry fees into tournies...

[quote name='ttaylor0024' timestamp='1280038115' post='2597412']
[quote name='garth.diesel' timestamp='1279121307' post='2575350']
[/quote]

How should I go about doing this? pgajuniorseries.com? I dont have alot of money for entry fees into tournies...
[/quote]

It takes money to make money,(or save it in this case). I would check with your local pga section. They have tournaments here that are like 45 bucks to get into. They are only one day, but anything is better than nothing, especially in your case with the greens. Actually we have our championship in a couple days, and its only like 55 bucks to play at a completely private awesome course. And we got free practice rounds.

[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1280060870' post='2597571']

It takes money to make money,(or save it in this case). I would check with your local pga section. They have tournaments here that are like 45 bucks to get into. They are only one day, but anything is better than nothing, especially in your case with the greens. Actually we have our championship in a couple days, and its only like 55 bucks to play at a completely private awesome course. And we got free practice rounds.
[/quote]

Ok, thats not bad and would work. Now, just got to do some investigating...

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1278201492' post='2553372']
if he got a full ride to a d3 school is was academic and not athletic
[/quote]

indeed

Mavrik 9* set -1 w/ Ventus Black 6tx

Mavrik SZ 15 w/Β Rouge 80x tipped 1"

Miz H4 2 iron ctaper 130x

TM TP MB 06' PX 7.0 4-pw

TM Hi-Toe 52* c taper 130x

Miz T22 Raw 56* KBS 130x

Miz T22 Raw 60* KBS 130x

Odyssey Metal X Milled #1Β  34"

-Prov1x left dash

I'm in Iowa and goin to play golf at a D3 here starting in the fall. There are some really great golfers that come out of D2 and D3 - so don't restrict yourself to only D1. It's all about what feels the most comfortable. My dream was to play D1, but the fact is I'm not quite talented enough to do that yet.

I have been improving on my average score every single year I have kept track (since freshman year in high school). And if everything goes to plan I hope to improve every year in college..maybe giving me a chance to go onto one of the mini tours after I put in a lot of hard work.

If I do well enough I might even be able to transfer after 2 years, we'll see. I'm just saying going to a D2 or D3 is fine. Your preferences might also keep you from going D1 right away (like location, costs, etc).

Your best bet would talk to your coach and see if he/she can give you some names of coaches at colleges they know. then contact them about your interest in playing for them. Also stop by your local courses and ask the pro there if they would be willing to help you out. I know when students come in asking about golf in college we usually try to help them out and point them in the right direction.

[quote name='ttaylor0024' timestamp='1278200670' post='2553351']

What should I do? I really want to do this, but simply dont know how...
[/quote]

[url="http://www.collegegolf.com/collegegolf/"]http://www.collegegolf.com/collegegolf/[/url]

You can get a one-year membership to the Ping College Golf Guide for $20, and the info contained within the site is well worth the price.