2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 Rescue review

golfbum9

my review
This is my first review ever. I am not a professional writer or anything guys so please keep this in mind. :)

Proud to say I've been given the honor of being one of a test panel to try out and review the new SuperFast 2.0 Rescue. A HUGE Thanks to both TaylorMade Adidas Golf and GolfWRX!!! THE Best golf site on the net. :clapping:

Let me preface this with a little history - I have been around the industry and played golf virtually my entire life. Used to be a long iron player preferring a 3i off the tee until recently, since nowadays off of the turf was an entirely different story. I am a traditionalist playing blades and persimmon in my youth, immersing myself into the club ®evolution as a full fledged club junkie - then coming full circle to a bag of old, but in my opinion "Best of's".
I only had a 1st gen. Adams Idea Pro VS Proto 18* 2h in the bag to compare and compete for the spot - so unfortunately this might not help you guys much for other comparisons.

On to the review; 2011 TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue 18* 3h(?) stock REAX 60 S flex.
No range time, this golf club has not seen a mat... straight to the golf course. 4 rounds now :D

Looks;
Initially thought the white, complete with pinstriping including the word Burner around the perimeter of the crown would be distracting. I found this not to be the case at all once on the course. In fact, the head appeared smaller which was probably TM's intention. In the peripheral vision, I was able to track the white clubhead slightly in the backswing, which at first was a bit strange but got used to it pretty fast. The driver might be a different story for me though - the color does make the clubhead look bigger.

Performance;
Here is where it's at! 1st shot ever was with this club was from a downhill lie to an uphill green playing an additional 2 clubs at roughly 205-210yds. First shot was with the 2.0 - Brilliant ballflight and dancing. Next was the Idea Pro - just ok. A lower ballflight and just short of the apron. In all honesty if this shot was during a real round, I probably would have layed up because of the lie alone. A great start.

Sound;
Solid feel and similar sound to the Idea Pro, a "thwack" but theres a bit of a "tink" to go along with it. Not in a bad way though... for me, feel and ballflight matter most - check and check. :good:

Distance;
I haven't measured the loft of them, the SF distance is same or longer off of the deck and the tee shots were a trade-off. I prefer the ballflight of the 2.0 even off the tee. Got up quick and leveled off, unlike the Idea Pro which seems to climb as it goes. Because of this higher initial launch angle, I was able to yield better distance out of the light to medium rough. Even had a knockdown punch shot through the trees resulting in the short grass.

Con;
Actually there is one con for me. The grip. Which is an easy fix. However, it should be mentioned those that prefer a "Winn style" grip will probably like them.

Conclusion;
The SuperFast 2.0 Rescue has earned the spot in the bag by the turn it's first time out. This says alot in and of itself.
The Idea Pro which has been in my bag for awhile is now in the back up bag. :wave:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Wormiez' timestamp='1301335671' post='3096444']
Nice review. How was your feel and response to the TM weight compared to Adams?
[/quote]
Thanks!
Feel and balance are subjective and personal of course, but for me - the feel were similar, with the 2.0 having an added "tink" sound. A slightly crisper feel and quicker rebound while still being solid through the ball.

Haven't measured the SW, but to me the SF 2.0 seemed to swing slightly head heavy compared to the IP - likely due to the lighter shaft. But I think it's well balanced and goes thru the light to mid rough nicely.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='golfbum9' timestamp='1301164153' post='3090638']
This is my first review ever. I am not a professional writer or anything guys so please keep this in mind. :)

Proud to say I've been given the honor of being one of a test panel to try out and review the new SuperFast 2.0 Rescue. A HUGE Thanks to both TaylorMade Adidas Golf and GolfWRX!!! THE Best golf site on the net. :clapping:

Let me preface this with a little history - I have been around the industry and played golf virtually my entire life. Used to be a long iron player preferring a 3i off the tee until recently, since nowadays off of the turf was an entirely different story. I am a traditionalist playing blades and persimmon in my youth, immersing myself into the club ®evolution as a full fledged club junkie - then coming full circle to a bag of old, but in my opinion "Best of's".
I only had a 1st gen. Adams Idea Pro VS Proto 18* 2h in the bag to compare and compete for the spot - so unfortunately this might not help you guys much for other comparisons.

On to the review; 2011 TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue 18* 3h(?) stock REAX 60 S flex.
No range time, this golf club has not seen a mat... straight to the golf course. 4 rounds now :D

Looks;
Initially thought the white, complete with pinstriping including the word Burner around the perimeter of the crown would be distracting. I found this not to be the case at all once on the course. In fact, the head appeared smaller which was probably TM's intention. In the peripheral vision, I was able to track the white clubhead slightly in the backswing, which at first was a bit strange but got used to it pretty fast. The driver might be a different story for me though - the color does make the clubhead look bigger.

Performance;
Here is where it's at! 1st shot ever was with this club was from a downhill lie to an uphill green playing an additional 2 clubs at roughly 205-210yds. First shot was with the 2.0 - Brilliant ballflight and dancing. Next was the Idea Pro - just ok. A lower ballflight and just short of the apron. In all honesty if this shot was during a real round, I probably would have layed up because of the lie alone. A great start.

Sound;
Solid feel and similar sound to the Idea Pro, a "thwack" but theres a bit of a "tink" to go along with it. Not in a bad way though... for me, feel and ballflight matter most - check and check. :good:

Distance;
I haven't measured the loft of them, the SF distance is same or longer off of the deck and the tee shots were a trade-off. I prefer the ballflight of the 2.0 even off the tee. Got up quick and leveled off, unlike the Idea Pro which seems to climb as it goes. Because of this higher initial launch angle, I was able to yield better distance out of the light to medium rough. Even had a knockdown punch shot through the trees resulting in the short grass.

Con;
Actually there is one con for me. The grip. Which is an easy fix. However, it should be mentioned those that prefer a "Winn style" grip will probably like them.

Conclusion;
The SuperFast 2.0 Rescue has earned the spot in the bag by the turn it's first time out. This says alot in and of itself.
The Idea Pro which has been in my bag for awhile is now in the back up bag. :wave:
[/quote]

Although I appreciate the efforts and the author must be a good player to begin with and modest in his writing, Honestly speaking, I didn't receive the same feeling as this review did not address some of the fundamentals of the club reviews. I am sorry to be honest.

I think a "playing experience, from a veteran player is more or less more accurate than a "review". and I can tell the author enjoys the club.

I would like to know:

(1) how the club setup out of the box, set-up, weight, length and loft compares to other "new" or "past popular" or "major brand" similar hybrids.

(2) what is the initial reaction to the new hybrid's aesthetics, front view, top view, rear view, does the initial look and feel promote confidence? As we know the player would like the aesthetics and the design to inscribe more confidence or "love" of the club, thus, promoting confidence to hit it or use it.

(3) how does it feel by just waggle and/or just swing it in your living room compares to the above mention hybrids. Heavier, lighter, feel confident to swing it, did you feel you need to adjust the swing a bit? Release earlier? Lagging? Swing weight different (feel versus actual)? White versus Block (a la 910h).

(4) Not going to the range at all? How can you review a club without hitting and monitoring different shots? Work the ball? Miss hits? Forgiveness? But, I do appreciate the "playing experience", hell, I don't even know what course and hole condition the author played on.

(5) From my experience, to use the 3 hybrid in a round, either you are teeing off a short hole, approaching on a PAR 5, a long PAR3, lay up to a specific yardage for the next shot, out of the rough, chipping near the green (rarely, if you have a higher lofted hybrid, which is preferred). I would bet you won't use it more than twice in a round, If at all. It will be difficult to review it this way. Although author has "4" rounds with it, but, I assume no more than a total of more than 20 hits. After all, the hybrid did not receive the type of attention it deserves, but, how many time we have said, out loud or in our mind "Thank God for the invention of the hybrid, because we would of never pull off the type of shots the hybrid allowed us to do."

(6) I appreciate the manufactures brings the DEMO opportunity to as many courses out and I appreciate the people who is setting it up for the players to try and evaluate the club before purchasing it. The DEMO opportunities really bring the necessary experiences to the players and to help them to select the right clubs. The TaylorMade truck is awesome, the marketing really pays off as the TaylorMade DEMO always draws the most crow. Not to mention their technologies and undisputed results. But, if the Cleveland guys can bring a Profile launch monitor with their DEMO, I would of think it is a standard way for all manufacture to do so, NOT! Not even the big brands! What's up with that?

Thanks for the interesting reading GolfWRX is my favor site to sound off different "review" and comments.

tiger168

My [i]sincere[/i] apologies my first review wasn't up to your standards... from 6 posts :rolleyes:

If you read again, you will see (maybe not) I answered your questions 1 and 2 within my review and your no3 in a reply to previous poster. Not to mention - how would anyone know what inspires confidence in you, or what you'd think looking at or waggling a golf club. Can't help you there.

It was 4 rounds by the time I wrote the review.
It's foolish to go by what happens at the range - results on the golf course are all the matter.

Hope that clears things up for you :ok:

edit to add I see you've edited your above post

[quote name='golfbum9' timestamp='1301607175' post='3106927']
My [i]sincere[/i] apologies my first review wasn't up to your standards... from 6 posts :rolleyes:

If you read again, you will see (maybe not) I answered your questions 1 and 2 within my review and your no3 in a reply to previous poster. Not to mention - how would anyone know what inspires confidence in you, or what you'd think looking at or waggling a golf club. Can't help you there.

It's foolish to go by what happens at the range - results on the golf course are all the matter.

[/quote]

No apologies necessary, golfbum9! I appreciate you sharing of your experiences.

Like golf, I am brutally honest, and maybe to a fault. Maybe playing too much.... LOL...

All I've grasp is that you think range is over rated (there are people think otherwise) and you don't know what confidence means (to you as I was not to ask how it will feel for "me") nor how to translate and take advance of the design of this particular club the way I hope to see to inspire, it's subjective and personal, and I appreciated you have gone as far as you can.

"Review" however, and to be an authority is to have wider scope, an open mind and be as thorough/thoughtful/methodical as possible. Otherwise, as I have appreciated in your reading, a mere "subjective experiences". I am read it, am I?

There is no wrong or right answers, I also invested the time and effort to read and reflect and feedback. After all, this is what this forum is all about, isn't it?

Thanks for sharing.

tiger168

[quote name='tiger168' timestamp='1301611215' post='3107136']
[quote name='golfbum9' timestamp='1301607175' post='3106927']

[/quote]

No apologies necessary, golfbum9! I appreciate you sharing of your experiences.

Like golf, I am brutally honest, and maybe to a fault. Maybe playing too much.... LOL...

All I've grasp is that you think range is over rated (there are people think otherwise) and you don't know what confidence means (to you as I was not to ask how it will feel for "me") nor how to translate and take advance of the design of this particular club the way I hope to see to inspire, it's subjective and personal, and I appreciated you have gone as far as you can.

"Review" however, and to be an authority is to have wider scope, an open mind and be as thorough/thoughtful/methodical as possible. Otherwise, as I have appreciated in your reading, a mere "subjective experiences". I am read it, am I?

There is no wrong or right answers, I also invested the time and effort to read and reflect and feedback. After all, this is what this forum is all about, isn't it?

Thanks for sharing.

tiger168
[/quote]
A review isn't meant to be thoughtful nor methodogical. It is merely opinion based on personal experience. A written "review" is ones experience shared with others. That's it. If you want design principals, then contact TaylorMade :ok:

Golfbum - thanks for the review - I noticed you are playing the club in stock stiff - I seem to always be a 'tweener' in flex - reg vs stiff - can you give me some insight into either swingspeed or what iron shafts you play - I am assuming you were pretty happy with how the stock stiff played for you so just trying to get a gauge - my iron swings with say a 5 iron are in the lower to mid 80's with a medium tempo - thanks for your insights

This REAX is a 60gr. shaft so it doesn't play or feel stout, yet it's not loose either. I'd consider it a Firm flex.
For me the ballflight gets up quick and flattens out. The other thing I noticed is that the 2.0 is easier for me to knock down or hit high when I wanted.

Your results may differ, but the S flex in this club works well for me.
Hope that helps.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='golfbum9' timestamp='1301622084' post='3107742']
This REAX is a 60gr. shaft so it doesn't play or feel stout, yet it's not loose either. I'd consider it a Firm flex.
For me the ballflight gets up quick and flattens out. The other thing I noticed is that the 2.0 is easier for me to knock down or hit high when I wanted.

Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Like poster above, trying to guage which flex to get in the OEM shaft. I am 95 =SS.

What is your driver swing speed Golfbum?

Ping G15Miyazaki Kusala - 12°

Callaway Epic Speed – Fuji Ventus VeloCore - 18°

Ping G430 Max FW – Alta CB 65 Black - 21°

Ping G430 H – Alta CB 70 Black - 26°

Ping G425 – Alta CB 72 Slate 7-PW

Vokey SM9 – 50 / 56 / 58

Odyssey White Hot OG #5 - 34”

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Irishputter' timestamp='1322057453' post='3840501']
[quote name='golfbum9' timestamp='1301622084' post='3107742']

Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Like poster above, trying to guage which flex to get in the OEM shaft. I am 95 =SS.

What is your driver swing speed Golfbum?
[/quote]
88-92 cold to warm. I'm more of a swinger, not a hitter with a late release.

• 2 weeks later...

So I frequent our DIck's Sporting Goods store here in Chattanooga and often drop in to check out new golf equipment and just catch up with the guys working in the 'pro shop' there. I'm a relatively new golfer with above average (so I've been told....I don't know what average is to be honest) swing speed and tour level ball speed. I'm like an 18-20 handicap as I'm a terrible putter and go O.B. off the tee probably twice a round leading to wasted strokes. Anyways I say all of that just to give you a background.....

Went into DSG the other day and a guy who had purchased a 3,4,5 Burner Superfast 2.0 hyrbrids was there trying to sell his hybrids back. He couldn't hit them and he was gong to go with the Rescue 11. I overheard the conversation, and having 'never met a stranger,' I jumped right in. The clubs were 2 months old and DSG was going to give him $40 bucks for each of the clubs. To make a long story short, I ended up talkin the guy into selling the #3 hybrid to me for the same price, $40. I didn't know if I'd like it, but I knew that was a deal I couldn't pass up.

The SF 2.0 3hyb that I have is a stock stiff shaft and 60g shaft. Pretty light, but man does this thing get up and go. I've spent a lot of time screwin around on the simulator @ DSG as its about as close as I'll ever get to playing St. Andrew's. My ball speed with the driver at DSG has been in the 175-183 range and my distance in the 275-310 range(I never hit it more then 275-280 when I'm at the course, just for the record). I picked up my new-to-me burner 2.0 hybrid and took a few practice swings before jumping on the simulator.

Prior to this purchase, I had played an r11 rescue 3 hy as well and didn't hit it great. I typically hit it about 210-220 off the tee and about 190-200 off the deck. I took 12 swings on the driving range mode of the simulator and....

1. I didn't hit a ball less than 260 and no ball speed lower than 140(Why do I carry a driver or a 3w??)

2. I hit 3 balls 289, 291, 293. All 3 had 156 ball speed.

3. Shot grouping was pretty tight, though I did play one fade and one draw, so the monitor said my shot grouping was 84 yds, but more like 84 feet at most if u take out the 2 shaped shots.

One of the pros at DSG wasnt believing the numbers I was putting up with the hybrid and neither was I. But they were the same over and over and over.

Took it out to the course today.....CRUSH CITY. I hit 2 balls in the 270 range off the tee today. From the fairway I hit it once and hooked a ball left. If I had to list one drawback it is pretty light and at times that clubhead may come through awkwardly and you might see a hook, but I was able to hit it high, etc.

Anyone else had ridiculous numbers like this? Please don't think this is a boastful article. I had 43 putts last weekend...I'm no major winner. I just am newly addicted to golf and can't get enough of it or these forums.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

[quote name='Drew In Chattanooga' timestamp='1324012822' post='3946959']
So I frequent our DIck's Sporting Goods store here in Chattanooga and often drop in to check out new golf equipment and just catch up with the guys working in the 'pro shop' there. I'm a relatively new golfer with above average (so I've been told....I don't know what average is to be honest) swing speed and tour level ball speed. I'm like an 18-20 handicap as I'm a terrible putter and go O.B. off the tee probably twice a round leading to wasted strokes. Anyways I say all of that just to give you a background.....

Went into DSG the other day and a guy who had purchased a 3,4,5 Burner Superfast 2.0 hyrbrids was there trying to sell his hybrids back. He couldn't hit them and he was gong to go with the Rescue 11. I overheard the conversation, and having 'never met a stranger,' I jumped right in. The clubs were 2 months old and DSG was going to give him $40 bucks for each of the clubs. To make a long story short, I ended up talkin the guy into selling the #3 hybrid to me for the same price, $40. I didn't know if I'd like it, but I knew that was a deal I couldn't pass up.

The SF 2.0 3hyb that I have is a stock stiff shaft and 60g shaft. Pretty light, but man does this thing get up and go. I've spent a lot of time screwin around on the simulator @ DSG as its about as close as I'll ever get to playing St. Andrew's. My ball speed with the driver at DSG has been in the 175-183 range and my distance in the 275-310 range(I never hit it more then 275-280 when I'm at the course, just for the record). I picked up my new-to-me burner 2.0 hybrid and took a few practice swings before jumping on the simulator.

Prior to this purchase, I had played an r11 rescue 3 hy as well and didn't hit it great. I typically hit it about 210-220 off the tee and about 190-200 off the deck. I took 12 swings on the driving range mode of the simulator and....

1. I didn't hit a ball less than 260 and no ball speed lower than 140(Why do I carry a driver or a 3w??)

2. I hit 3 balls 289, 291, 293. All 3 had 156 ball speed.

3. Shot grouping was pretty tight, though I did play one fade and one draw, so the monitor said my shot grouping was 84 yds, but more like 84 feet at most if u take out the 2 shaped shots.

One of the pros at DSG wasnt believing the numbers I was putting up with the hybrid and neither was I. But they were the same over and over and over.

Took it out to the course today.....CRUSH CITY. I hit 2 balls in the 270 range off the tee today. From the fairway I hit it once and hooked a ball left. If I had to list one drawback it is pretty light and at times that clubhead may come through awkwardly and you might see a hook, but I was able to hit it high, etc.

Anyone else had ridiculous numbers like this? Please don't think this is a boastful article. I had 43 putts last weekend...I'm no major winner. I just am newly addicted to golf and can't get enough of it or these forums.
[/quote]

I just ordered an 18 degree yesterday without ever hitting one and can't wait till it gets here because I have heard nothing but good things. I was contemplating whether or not to get the superfast 2.0 3 wood but after seeing the new RBZ one comin out soon, I think I'm going to wait. I hope I get numbers on the course like you.

A ditto to some super no's with a 2.0 SF, 21 deg.stock S.

I am an absolute hack in golf, who likely cannot hang in the same bars/coffee shops as most on here in the game. But, I am super fit for my age, above avg. strength for a smaller stature guy (Fowler size); and on the range - where I am most comfortable and way better, I crush 80 percent range balls out 215 yds.

I probably should have gone all SF 2.0 hybrids (I replace the 5w mostly with a 17 deg. JPX 800, my 4 iron with a 24 deg. Acer custom build with steel shaft). I say that head design, so low and swooped back to the ground on such a compact hybrid head is a dynamite combo. I like the white design (paint is not too durable..), the shaft is ok but long, the Winn Lite grip is so so.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370