King Tec Hybrid

So I am having some7 wood issues, too much spin/launch causing me gapping issues. That 7 wood will be in the classifieds soon, but in an effort to get a gap between 4 iron and 3 wood I explored the hybrid world. 

hit g430, mizuno stz (i think, it was the small one), cobra king tec and dark speed.

the king Tec was by far the best performer. Was getting ball speeds in mid-ish 150’s, carry around 250 with 4k backspin with a draw. Could cut it and get a softer flight but risked a high spinner that went more right than intended 

anyone here have one or hit one extensively? If so, what was your opinion on it? Pros, cons etc.

thanks for the input!

It's the best hybrid on the market imo and quite a few others think the same way. 

• Like 3

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

10 hours ago, poor_putting said:

So I am having some7 wood issues, too much spin/launch causing me gapping issues. That 7 wood will be in the classifieds soon, but in an effort to get a gap between 4 iron and 3 wood I explored the hybrid world. 

hit g430, mizuno stz (i think, it was the small one), cobra king tec and dark speed.

the king Tec was by far the best performer. Was getting ball speeds in mid-ish 150’s, carry around 250 with 4k backspin with a draw. Could cut it and get a softer flight but risked a high spinner that went more right than intended 

anyone here have one or hit one extensively? If so, what was your opinion on it? Pros, cons etc.

thanks for the input!

I haven't hit one extensively but thought this might be helpful, and will update more once I manage to put some time behind it.

I recently went for a fitting at a very reputable fitter here in the UK and got fitted for a 3 Hybrid (19*).

We tried multiple different head and shaft combinations and it was one of those clubs that was proving tricky to dial in and find the right fit. We tried all the usual suspects like Ping.

When I tried the Cobra King Tec (2023 model) it immediately clicked with me and performed by far the best out of all the previous ones we tried. I got fitted with a Mitsubishi C6 Black (2022 version) 70 gram hybrid shaft for reference.

It felt like this was slightly fade bias (to me at least) and helped me keep the ball online without worrying about the left side.

I like the fact the face appears to look very square with less bulge compared to others allowing me to swing into it with more confidence like an iron, it flew high and landed soft and the distance I got was a perfect gap for me between my 3W and 4 iron.

I haven't received my hybrid yet, and it's still in the build process at the fitter, once I get it and put it through some real life paces I will be able to give you more thoughts on it.

• Like 1

Vessel Player IV Pro - Season Opener '24

Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond 8* - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6 X

Ping G430 Max 3W 15* - Mitsubishi Kai'Li Blue 70 X

Cobra King TEC '23 3H 19* - Mitsubishi C6 '22 Black H 70

Titleist T150 4-GW - NS Pro 1050GH S

Vokey SM10 54.10S / 60.8M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 R

L.A.B. Link1 - TPT x L.A.B. Shaft

Callaway Chrome Tour - Triple Track

42 minutes ago, Min said:

I haven't hit one extensively but thought this might be helpful, and will update more once I manage to put some time behind it.

I recently went for a fitting at a very reputable fitter here in the UK and got fitted for a 3 Hybrid (19*).

We tried multiple different head and shaft combinations and it was one of those clubs that was proving tricky to dial in and find the right fit. We tried all the usual suspects like Ping.

When I tried the Cobra King Tec (2023 model) it immediately clicked with me and performed by far the best out of all the previous ones we tried. I got fitted with a Mitsubishi C6 Black (2022 version) 70 gram hybrid shaft for reference.

It felt like this was slightly fade bias (to me at least) and helped me keep the ball online without worrying about the left side.

I like the fact the face appears to look very square with less bulge compared to others allowing me to swing into it with more confidence like an iron, it flew high and landed soft and the distance I got was a perfect gap for me between my 3W and 4 iron.

I haven't received my hybrid yet, and it's still in the build process at the fitter, once I get it and put it through some real life paces I will be able to give you more thoughts on it.

Thanks for sharing, I agree with you on not being scared of the left side with this hybrid. That was with the heavy weights in heel and toe. I would imagine it could be made even more fade biased by putting the lighter weight in the heel. 

Do you happen to remember how the weights were setup when you were being fitted? 

12 hours ago, poor_putting said:

thanks for the input!

I've got one in the bag. It's one of the best hybrids on the market if you don't like hybrids. Sits square, can put weight in the toe, and is versatile. It's a bit shallow faced, but once you get used to it you'll be fine. I think the King Tec has been around for a while, you should be able to score a deal on one.

• Like 2

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F @ 49, 54S @ 55, 60M

SC NP2

It's a great option as a Max type hybrid and the previous gen can be had for a steal. The weight adjustability is really nice. That said I prefer a smaller 'tour' hybrid shape. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

I've played radspeed, LTDX, Aerojet and King hybrids. The radspeed (19 deg) is still in the bag and I don't see it leaving, and the King Tec (17 turned down to 16) is in the bag as well and recently beat out the aerojet. The adjustability is great and it's super easy to hit without having a huge footprint.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rsballer10 said:

I've got one in the bag. It's one of the best hybrids on the market if you don't like hybrids. Sits square, can put weight in the toe, and is versatile. It's a bit shallow faced, but once you get used to it you'll be fine. I think the King Tec has been around for a while, you should be able to score a deal on one.

Great to hear! I’m not normally a hybrid guy but it was definitely working for me. Should have it in a week and a half or so. Got it with a hzrdus gen 4 black 90 6.5. Hoping it performs on course as well as it did in the bay 👍👍

I’ll make it a point to try the heavy weights in the rear and toe to eliminate left side. 

thanks for the insight! 

6 hours ago, PNW said:

It's a great option as a Max type hybrid and the previous gen can be had for a steal. The weight adjustability is really nice. That said I prefer a smaller 'tour' hybrid shape. 

I think the smaller ones look great but have never been able to keep one of them from hooking on me. King Tec didn’t do that, so gotta go with the performance.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ALX said:

I've played radspeed, LTDX, Aerojet and King hybrids. The radspeed (19 deg) is still in the bag and I don't see it leaving, and the King Tec (17 turned down to 16) is in the bag as well and recently beat out the aerojet. The adjustability is great and it's super easy to hit without having a huge footprint.

Awesome info!

Where do you play the weights in yours? 

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 12:10 PM, poor_putting said:

Thanks for sharing, I agree with you on not being scared of the left side with this hybrid. That was with the heavy weights in heel and toe. I would imagine it could be made even more fade biased by putting the lighter weight in the heel. 

Do you happen to remember how the weights were setup when you were being fitted? 

Once we found the right shaft, we kept the weights standard with heavy ones heel and toe, and light one on the rear and that gave me the most neutral flight. 
I wasn’t looking for a fade bias per se, it was more that I was searching for something that wasn’t draw biased for relatively fast swing speed (115mph with driver)

Edited by Min

2 hours ago, Min said:

Once we found the right shaft, we kept the weights standard with heavy ones heel and toe, and light one on the rear and that gave me the most neutral flight. 
I wasn’t looking for a fade bias per se, it was more that I was searching for something that wasn’t draw biased for relatively fast swing speed (115mph with driver)

That’s for sharing your setup. What shaft did you end up in?

Are you also at standard length/loft?

On 5/14/2024 at 8:18 PM, poor_putting said:

thanks for the input!

Only hybrid that has ever stayed in my bag. It's criminally underrated. Doesn't want to hook like other hybrids, and the ball comes off the face like a rocket. I carry the 2H and it goes the same distance as my Stealth 2 3HL. I only carry both because they offer different trajectories. The King Tec is piercing and the Stealth is high and soft.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JermWRX said:

Only hybrid that has ever stayed in my bag. It's criminally underrated. Doesn't want to hook like other hybrids, and the ball comes off the face like a rocket. I carry the 2H and it goes the same distance as my Stealth 2 3HL. I only carry both because they offer different trajectories. The King Tec is piercing and the Stealth is high and soft.

This is awesome, if I like it on course as much as I did in the store, I may want to try the 2H turned down all the way to possibly replace my 3 wood.

what kind of distance are you getting from your 2H?

15 minutes ago, BYK said:

Everyone’s loving this club.  
what’s so great about it?
all I see is anti left so far.  

Always looking lol 

but I do prefer a smaller head which sounds like this isn’t. 

Correct, this is not a small head. But ball speed and consistency for me were incredible. Anti left is important for a lot of people (me included) with hybrids. May not seem important to some but for others most hybrids are unusable because of the left issue. 

also, the ability to play with the weighting to further tweak ball flight I think draws some people to them. 

others may have more pros but that’s what stuck out to me. 

53 minutes ago, BYK said:

Everyone’s loving this club.  
what’s so great about it?
all I see is anti left so far.  

Always looking lol 

but I do prefer a smaller head which sounds like this isn’t. 

I tried the smaller heads first as I typically like smaller footprint. They all were left machines though 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poor_putting said:

This is awesome, if I like it on course as much as I did in the store, I may want to try the 2H turned down all the way to possibly replace my 3 wood.

what kind of distance are you getting from your 2H?

I have it set at 18* and I carry it 250

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, poor_putting said:

That’s for sharing your setup. What shaft did you end up in?

Are you also at standard length/loft?

I got fit into to Mitsubishi C6 black shaft (2022 model) and I was getting about 250~260 total. Sorry I don’t remover carry but I think it was roughly 240

Edited by Min

15 hours ago, drza3 said:

Are there different versions of this? I’m seeing some referred to as 2023 and others as 2021. Any difference?

I didn't try the 21 model, so I'm not sure. The 23 model has the "hot face technology", whatever that means. I'm not sure if the 21 has the same face.