Adams Idea Pro

Adams Golf Idea Pro Forged Hybrid Irons

3 & 4 Hybrid iWoods

* Sleek, tour-preferred design with no offset.

* Low CG, highest MOI of any hybrid on tour.

* Pull face construction with custom steel face creates lower spin and increased ball speed.

* Adjustable weight port for swing weight and shaft adjustment.

* #1 hybrid on Champions and Nationwide Tours, #2 hybrid on PGA TOUR.

* Aldila VS "By You" hybrid shaft - the hottest new shaft on the PGA TOUR, with multiple tour wins.

* Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips

5-PW Forged Irons

* Crafted with forged carbon 8620 steel for ultimate feel and sound desired by the better players.

* Thin topline design, narrow sole, minimum offset, and slight cavity back results in more stability at impact.

* True Temper Black Gold steel shafts with exclusive gold nickel plating process giving the shaft its distinct appearance.

* Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... after several extended range sessions and some course time, I finally think I can give a good review of this combo set.

Appearance: Adams Golf really has set up a winner here for sure.. the hybrids work really well and are the most neutral hybrids that I have hit. The irons setup very nice. Clean lines and little offset. The Black Gold shafts are beautiful and really nice to look at. Everything about this set screams "NICE CLUBS", and they give me confidence. The stain finish on the irons is awesome, and a finish that I just love.

Shaft Performance: The VS Proto 80 Hybrid shafts are awesome.. very smooth, tight disperions with nice controlled kick. Very stable shaft, and the head is very solid. The Black Gold's in the irons are very muted and smooth, with a nice kick to them. The VS Proto 80's are very easy to swing. I have the stiff flex setup and it's perfect for me... both in the Black Gold's and in the VS Proto 80 Hybrid's.

Club Performance: The # 3 hybrid is easy to hit off the tee, just straight. Off the tee, I missed a few low on the face, and they took off like bullets going straight. The # 4 is even easier to hit for me, and produces a nice high ballflight that lands softly. I'm probably hitting it around 215 yards or so... which is just what I wanted. The irons are accurate and quite forgiving. I've hit them side by side with my X-16 Pro Series, and find the Pro Forged to feel better, and give me excellent results. I was hitting the 8-iron's about identical distances, and was really dialed into the short irons of the Adams. The Pro Forged make my X-16 Pro Series look like Big Bertha 2004's! What a difference. The Black Gold shafts are just smooth and muted. Very impressed with this combo, as the combination provides a nice soft feel. Hitting HX.Tour's and TP Black's are joy because they come off the clubface smooth. The irons can be worked easily... and I can attest because I hit some gorgeous 5 yard draws with my 6-iron the other day on the course.

Forgiveness: The Pro Forged are plenty forgiving, and don't seem to lose more distance than my X-16 Pro Series. They give good feedback, but they don't hurt. You know where you hit it on the face, but they don't punish you for mis-hits. Mind you, they won't be confused with Big Bertha 2006's, but hey, I wasn't looking for Big Bertha 2006's either. I think they are more forgiving than MP-60's, and a LOT more forgiving than my old 300 Forged (which was like a blade).

Distance: The hybrids are long and straight. They are easy to hit straight, and that's exactly what I wanted. I ordered my set 2* upright & +1/2" from Adams Golf. They were setup just as my X-16 Pro Series are, and I believe that I'm not giving up anything to the Callaway's. In fact, 8-iron of the Pro Forged has a tad lower ballflight than that of the Cally... so I might have gained a bit more accuracy and distance into the wind.

Specs: Well, this is the first time that I actually received an inspection sheet with my clubs, signed off by the inspector that checked them. I was impressed... and this was coming from an OEM no less. The inspection sheet had the lengths, swingweights, weights of the shafts, loft & lies, grip weights.. pretty much everything. And everything was spot on.. which is really nice.

Well, I'm really happy with my purchase now. I was a bit apprehensive, and had a bit of buyer's remorse because I'd had my X-16 Pro Series for so long... I was just use to them. These new clubs are awesome, and I look forward to hitting them again and again, and this will be fun!

Sorry to being long-winded....

• 1 month later...

Update after several rounds....

Okay, I'll be the first to admit the honeymoon period is over.

My game is a bit struggling, and while I shouldn't blame the irons, they aren't as forgiving as my X-16 Pro Series, which is what I'm going to go back to for a spell.

For one reason or another, possibly due to less bounce in the iron or a smaller sole width, I tend to dig these a bit more than I'm use to. My confidence has been shaken a bit, as I've struggled to break 90 with these clubs, and I'm sure it's me, but I can't get rid of me. ;) :crazy:

The hybrids are awesome though. I will say that much is true. They are still in the bag, as I like using the #3 off the tee and off the deck. They are very easy to hit, and much easier to hit a good shot than a comparable long iron. Very easy to hit out of the rough as well. The hybrids will be in my bag for a LONG time to come, that much I know for sure. There is no draw bias in the hybrids, which I like.

Sorry to all for getting so amped about this set of irons, then come crashing back down to earth after a few rounds...

I have the 18º, 20º, & 23º and 5-PW and I agree the hybrids are fantastic. I love the irons as well though. I have the new red Lamkin Crossline grips on them all and they feel awesome...every bit as good as my MP-60's and other forged irons I have. (I don't seem to dig with these anymore than normal though.) I like the grind on the sole. I think that for a "player's iron" they are fairly forgiving. VERY workable as well - can hit 'em high, low, cut, draw, etc.! I love the shafts - both the VS Protos in the hybrids and the Black Golds in the irons. Adams hit dead on when they went with these shafts. The ball flight with the hybrids is just gorgeous! I plan to add the 16º soon and possibly leave the 18º out of the bag. The feel with the irons is pure sweetness!

I just switched from Nike blades to these. I already had one of the hybrids and it is the best I have had. I hit the demo of one of the irons just out of curiosity and was hooked. I was not looking to switch and this set is not inexpensive. But when you factor in that you are getting 2 hybrids that sell at our shop for $199 each... the price of the irons is not as bad as it first seems. I already had the 3 hybrid and talked the salesman into letting me substitute the 2 hybrid for there 3 hybrid so that I would not have duplicate clubs. The feel is unbelievable for a blade. You can really feel the forged feel. Adams made a similar set of non-forged and they are not even in the same ballpark. Thus, I only recommend this set in the forged model. I can hit them any height or shape effortlessly. I can really bring my ballflight down with these irons. The feel is about the softest I have come across. They seem to be the best of both worlds. You can work them like a magician but are still real easy to hit. This might be the perfect club for someone who is wanting to switch to a blade but is used to the big forgiveness of cavity backs.

I like the Adams pro 20* so much that I think I am going add the 16* as a weak 3 wood. I still like my G5 option off of the tee but I currently carry my Adams 20* as far as my Rapture 18* (about 210 yds). The Rapture has a little higher launch and trajectory but I think the 16* will give my a nice distance (225 yds) between the G5 3 wood and Adams 20*. The Rapture may be coming out of the bag.

• 6 months later...

I have been playing these for about a month now. I am very please with them so far. I purchased them with the standard 3 and 4 hyrbird and 5-pw forged irons. They are quite forgiving for a forged club. I am coming over to these irons from some old golfsmith musclebacks i played with for 10 years. The Black Gold shafts are excellent. They are somewhat similar in feel to the DG S w/ sensicore in my old shaft but w/out the weight. I will say that i hit these clubs as least a 1 club longer than the old musclebacks. PW - 45; 8 I - 165, etc. Great clubs for the mid to low handicapper in my humble opinion.

I love my set of adams pros. I only have the 5-PW but man are they awesome. First time out with them I shot an 85 on a course I have never played before, and the score had more to do with 3 putts then ball striking. These irons are butter soft and set-up very nice. No thick shovel looking things here! They clubs absolutley spin the crap out of the ball, and I was spinning back short irons shots, something I have never done before. Adams has made yet another awesome set of clubs.

Bottom line: On pured shots you get perfect distance and accuracy, on mishits you will not be punished so much.

• 2 months later...

I had a set built to my specs as follows:

3 hybrid w/ Aldila VS Proto 95-X

4 TriTech iron w/ TT Black Gold X-flex (I opted for this rather than the 4 hybrid)

5-PW w/ TT Black Gold X-Flex (+0.25" length)

I was very excited to receive these clubs but I never got comfortable with the Black Gold shafts. To me, the feel is 180 degrees different than the shaft I have played for the last 5 years (TTDG X-100) with Mizuno MP-32 currently. Distance was great, the Black Gold seems to transfer more energy and the ball speed was noticably higher but I just had no feel coming down into the shot and I couldn't really control where the ball was going. My MP-32 throw darts and I couldn't do this with the Adams. I really think the heads' are great quality but again the shaft is just not for me. Between the shafts and the stronger lofts the Adams were almost a full club longer than my Mizunos.

The hybrid is a great club. The stock shaft is the Aldila VS Proto 80 and I was fitted for the 95 weight in an X-flex. One of the only hybrids I have hit that did not balloon on me so that was huge. Easy to control trajectory, the shaft played like a lightweight steel shaft...very good control. Overall though I still prefer my Mizuno MP Fli-Hi, the Fli-Hi is more of an iron and I have the X-100 steel shaft on that to match my irons. The Mizuno has much softer feel and more accuracy (due to the heavier steel).

Again, not a bad set of clubs by any means but I was hoping I could keep a set of cavity backs in the closet for the days I don't feel up to hitting my blades but the feel would take long for me to get used to where I could not throw these in the bag and expect to shoot a good score without a lot of range time before hand. I think I am going to try the R7 TPs with the X-100.

Thanks,

Keith

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

• 2 months later...

[quote name='CMAN300' post='843714' date='Dec 31 2007, 05:13 PM']I have a question I might be getting these but i don't need the hybrids since i have a 3iron hybrid and was wondering if i could get them in 4-pw[/quote]

Yes you can...you can order a regular 4 iron OR they have a 4 iron Tri-tech which looks almost the same except is has a slightly lower COG which helps the ball in the air a bit more. If you are ordering a set the shop can probably help you more with your custom options or you can call their customer service line from their website.

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

• 3 months later...

I've played the IDea Pro for a few months now--

I found a set that a shop pro was selling, and it had the three and four iron, not tritech but the stock three and four iron, so I actually don't own any Adams hybrids.

But these irons are marvelous. Just marvelous. I traded up from Ping Zings that I've had for fifteen years, and it's a whole new experience. The setup is neutral, the lines are marvelous, the control of distance is great and they hit as long or longer than the pings.

I've been backing up four and five irons on the green (using TP Black golf ball, not the highest spinner), so the action is great. The lofts are a bit strong, but I have found that I prefer a 46* wedge to the old 48 or 49* ones. Makes a better transition through my 52 and 58 Vokeys.

I have gone from six or eight GIR to ten or twelve now, a huge difference. And the long irons are really great, even without tritech. I carry the four and use hybrids after that, but the three is easy to hit and goes in the bag from time to time.

That Black Gold shaft is silk, and the Adams Idea Pro Forged is A+ all around. Too bad the new Pro Gold isn't working out for them, but it was always going to be hard to improve on this one.

• 1 month later...

hey guys,

it's time to trade up for a new set. my handicap is down to 1.6.

i'm 19 and perfectly capable of hitting long irons, so i was curious to ask any younger, lower handicappers if this set might be right for me. i'm crazy about how the irons set up, but not thrilled about the idea of hybrids (though the fact they aren't draw biased is appealing, as i play a fade most of the time).

thanks,

bigshow

These irons are great. Your right about the set up. The good things about these is that they are fairly forgiving. You can make a bad swing and you won't be punished too bad though they are player irons. The hybrids are some of the best in the game and many tour players use them but it is possible to order the long irons instead of the hybrids or maybe just the 4 and get the 3 and 2 hybrids. Hit them and decide.

You might want to give it about a month before you buy because the pro golds should be out about this time next month. I've seen them. They set up similar but since their new, they must be an improvement. Right? probably.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE--

Reminder, I have a standard Idea Pro set, no special order, Black Golds in stiff, and whats unusual about my set-- I have the three iron and the four iron, not tritech, just the regular irons. They are not silvered in back, and have black plastic back inserts.

I haven't heard of anyone else having these irons. One guy has the three and four but they are silvered. Other people have the tritech 4 with black back, but on the hosel it says "tritech forged" and mine just say "forged".

Wierd.

I bag the 4 -PW and use Cleveland hybrids starting at 3 iron.... so no Adams hybrids, yet. Haven't even tried 'em.

Anyways, a couple more months have passed and so here's my settled and comfortable review--

spectacular. Fantastic. The easiest, silkiest, smoothest, most consistent 'players' irons I've ever swung. Mid height trajectory, and I can stop a four iron on one bounce if I use a high spin ball.

I still can't believe how good they are, and how much more confidence I have in my iron game.

I'd bag the three iron too if I felt like giving up a wedge, but I don't. :-) the long irons are as easy to play as any of the others.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The iron that you have with the black insert is the TriTech. I have the same ones, and they are not labeled either. The main feature is the larger inset cavity. It just makes them a bit easier to hit. :good:

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

• 2 months later...

I just moved to a set of these, after playing a couple of years with a set of A2 irons. With the old irons, it was getting to the point that everything was going left. I was hoping that this was because my swing was getting better, and the offset & lie angle just promoted a heavy draw.

Well the good news & the bad news & the great news...

The good news is that hardly anything goes left anymore.

The bad news is that hardly anything goes left anymore. I mean, if I don't concentrate, it's just like I started playing again (push, slice, push-slice, etc).

The great news is that when I've got good mechanics, a flat left wrist and a smooth swing, the ball goes straight as an arrow and the dispersion is very small, compared to the A2's. With the A2's, I could literally hit the ball all over the place. But with these, I've only got a 10-15 yard window that the ball will go to. Very tight.

I'm still working on getting draws out of them. But even if I don't, that's okay. Straight shots and 10 yard fades will do me just fine. Take out the left side of the course, and things will get better.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone hit the Idea Pros vs. the Idea Pro golds? For me just comparing the two in a simulator I just like the feeling of the older Pro version much better the the newer Pro Golds...I'm not sure if it's the Black Gold shafts or just that they are a tad bit softer feeling to me.

And I must say I love the look of the Older version too! The Hybrids seems better for me to hit with the Idea Pros vs. the Pro Golds even though they are supposed to be more forgiving and "easier" to hit then the peanut versions.

I really was wanting to buy the Idea Pros but they are quite hard to find now, and almost impossible to find in the X stiff shaft...so I went a head an purchased some TE exotic CNC forged iron heads the other day! Hopefully those are nice seeing as I've never hit them before!

• 3 months later...

Just got a new set of these for the bag and finally got a chance to hit them today. I am coming from Hogan blades (which I really like) but due to starting a new grad program I needed something a little more forgiving as I don't have as much time to practice now. The Hogans are forged and I like that responsive feeling so I took a hard look at these Adams forged cb irons. I got fit for the Pro Forged and I was able to keep the same accuracy as the Hogans and pick up another 10-12 yards per iron.

Feedback was very similar (meaning good!) but not quite as harsh on a miss. Honestly, I didn't miss by much as set up is really easy. I found the irons to be very accurate with a mid to high ball flight. They were also very workable (low/mid/high, draw/cut, etc.). Not much offset which is desirable for me as I am working on playing a cut shot. The TT Black Gold shafts really do have some kick. I had DG's in my Hogan blades and while they are excellent shafts I liked the hotter feeling the BG's gave me.

The 20/23 degree hybrids were really nice. The Aldila By-You shafts are the prime ingredient in these two clubs. The shafts are really stable and play more stout than the NV's in my other hybrids with just a little more distance in the BY's. The Adams heads are a little smaller and play more like irons which I really like. I could hit cuts very easily with these as they have a neutral weighting.

The cool thing about Adams is that they put very good shafts in their clubs and don't overcharge you despite the extra quality. These will stay in the bag for a while. Time to alter the sig.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

• 6 years later...