Cleveland 900 wedges?

marty69marty69 Members Posts: 155
what bounce
i like the cleveland 900 wedge selection. The feel the set-up , everything ...however i have a few questions that only an expert on the cleveland 900 wedges would know. If: there is no stamps on how much bounce it has, what does it have? Bounce is my very biggest concern, on ebay some are listed as low bounce while others are listed with nothing,...how do you know what bounce your getting? I played my friends gunmetal 900 in a 58 degree of loft and it HAD the perfect bounce for me on my home course( so fla.)...im looking for this wedge but cannot find it anywhere new...its lighter than my titleist spinmilled, and sets up better to me. Also , in what year did these 900s come out , and are they still making them? and finally what is the head weight on these? Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Golfer1016Golfer1016 Members Posts: 920
    Well I will say the 900 series are great wedges and would like to see CG bring them back. I can answer a few of your questions, but not all. If the wedge is not stamped "Low Bounce" then it is standard bounce. I believe they only had high bounce in the tour models that useually had the dots like the CG10 and CG11 instead. Im not 100% sure but I think the bounce angles on the 900's are the same as the CG10's. You can look on clevelands website and it will have all the bounce angles for each degree of wedge. Like my 58* 900 is a "Low Bounce" and it has 8* of bounce while my 52* 900 is standard and has 10* of bounce. The 900's are a few years old now and are not being made anymore image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' /> As for the head weight, Im not sure and would like to know this as well. Hope this helped.
  • xxioxxio Members Posts: 5,680 ✭✭
    I loved the 900 gunmetals as well.

The grooves were quite agressive for OTR wedges. Feel was better than the 588s as well. That could be the form forged thing at work there.

The thing that got me away from them was that I loved the "low bounce" versions because of the slight T grind, but the low bounce versions were slightly lighter. Usually D0-D1 while the normal bounce came in at D3-4. It was the excat same head that had a grind so some of the wight was taken off. I always had to put some lead tape on my "low bounce" wedges.
  • mr_divotsmr_divots Members Posts: 8,297 ✭✭
    I don't have the specs anymore, but going from memory, seems to me the normal bounce had a fair amount of bounce to them (as I recall, the 56º had 16º bounce in the "normal" version.) The "Low Bounce" weren't too terribly low bounce compared to other manufacturers. I think the Low Bounce 56º had 12º of bounce. I can't remember the other lofts offhand. Slightly lighter wedges. I still have a 52 and 56 gunmetal, and they feel lighter than my CG10's and 588 DSG's. Head weight was likely light. Grooves were great on these. The only one I did not like was the Low Bounce 60º that I had. It really dug in the soft conditions around here. Major divots (although I tend to dig a bit.)
    Mr Divots was right about the 56*, not sure on swing weights but here are the specs...

http://www.golftraders.net/411cleveland.htm
  • rs23rs23 Members Posts: 48
    I know that my standard 900 RTG 58* has 14* of bounce, so I play it when conditions are soft/wet or when there are lots of soft/deep bunkers, and play a DSG RTG 60* when it is dry. The 900 series is excellent - compact head, great feel. The 58*/14* is excellent in soft conditions. Considering the conditions in California are not often soft/wet, I don't play the 900 58* often, so I've thought of either doing a custom grind on it or just selling it. I agree that Cleveland should bring the 900 series back, and also the standard RTG finish.
    I know that my standard 900 RTG 58* has 14* of bounce, so I play it when conditions are soft/wet or when there are lots of soft/deep bunkers, and play a DSG RTG 60* when it is dry. The 900 series is excellent - compact head, great feel. The 58*/14* is excellent in soft conditions. Considering the conditions in California are not often soft/wet, I don't play the 900 58* often, so I've thought of either doing a custom grind on it or just selling it. I agree that Cleveland should bring the 900 series back, and also the standard RTG finish.
    rs23 wrote on Mar 1 2007, 09:15 PM:

Yup the normal bounce 58* is 14* bounce. I think thats a pretty big margain between low and normal bounce for the 58*, 6* diffrence in bounce. Hey if you are interested in selling that 58* I might take it off your hands, looking for sumthin a little easier out of the bunker..
  • marty69marty69 Members Posts: 155
    thanks for all the help here guys i decided against them. too hard to find new and sadly 14 degrees is too much bounce for me:(
    Golfer1016, sent you a PM.
  • super20dansuper20dan Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭
    the wedges are awesume. they should make them again. my 52 low bounce is in my bag for good
    73 hogan apex
  • katbirdkatbird Members Posts: 624
    edited Oct 3, 2014 #12
    588.jpg 149.5K
    TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
    08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
    Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
    Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
    Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
    TM Spider 72M
    WITB Link
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,467 ✭✭
    Ping G400 driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • dunndunn Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭
    Cleveland bounce angles play lower than other manufacturers
  • Plus2DegreesPlus2Degrees Members Posts: 15 ✭✭

Tour Action 900 Gun Metal 52 & 56, Stiff True Temper Gold steel shafts. These 2 out perform newer Ping & Mizuno wedges by far. I can not figure it out. Just put-on new Winn grips and they are even better. Scored both at thrift stores on separate dates for next to nothing. All shots possible. Magical wedges is best description.

3 Wood: Callaway X2Hot Pro
    Hybrid: Ping I20 3H
    Irons: Callaway Steelhead XR
    PW: Callaway Steelhead XR
    GW: Ping iE 49
    AW: Cleveland 900 Tour Action 52
    SW: Cleveland 900 Tour Action 56
    LW: Cleveland CG 12 58/14
    SLW: Callaway Mack Daddy PM 60/10
    Putter: Taylormade Spider Vinco Center shaft
    Ball: Snell MTB

• RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Members Posts: 2,391 ✭✭

You are correct. Love old Clevelands!Play your Best!

2019 May

Ping [email protected] 10.5
    Tee 16.5
    Tm V Steel @ 18

Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

Vokey SM5 50 08 F Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10

Titleist Scotty Mid Slant Pro Platinum at 34 and a Half!