3 Wood Over Driver?

tjard13

Driver: Taylormade RBZ Adjusted 9* loft

3 Wood: Taylormade Burner Superfast 15* loft

My driving game is terrible and is just embaressing. I've tried several different things to fix it ... (swing changes, swing speed changes, lessons, and getting the driver fitted) Nothing has worked. When I hit it off the tee and it actually goes straight I hit it anywhere 280-300 yards with a nice little baby draw. But this only happens maybe 1/10 of the time... the other 9 are slicing to hell and back. I tried slowing my swing down to 3/4 speed-ish and it was fairly straight like 60% of the time, but the drives were only going 220 to 250 tops.

But my last time playing 9 holes I decided to just use the 3 Wood instead of big papi (driver.) And off the tee I drove 10 yards over the green on a 280 Par 4 and drove the back side of the green on a 285 Par 4. And stroked identical numbers on 2 other longer par 4s. And the two fairway drives were right down the a** crack of the fairway

I realize the driver problem is most likely mechanical or just a complete lack of confidence in the club. But I shoot 80-85 on 18 even with the driver issues and hit every other club in the bag long and straight so I'm at loss for words. I don't think its shaft length problems because i can crack out my grandpa's old 1980s Mac Gregor driver and hit it straight and far.

So I'm thinking about getting an amped up 13* 3 Wood and just calling it my driver. Considering I'm slinging 280+ yard drives with a 15* 3 wood, I'm thinking this idea would be awesome for me. I'm thinking this switch could bring my low to mid 80s game into the low to mid 70's.

What do you guys think??? Please help me out with your opinions. Thanks :)

ST-Z 220 D
TS2 3W

TSR2 7W

T150 4i

T100 5i-GW
SM9 Wedges
Phantom X 5

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man You and I could be twins. Find my last thread and the one before that....bomb driver when it's straight otherwise high slices. Decided I was going 3 wood off the tee. Got a 13* Callaway x hot 3Deep and bomb it, but hit it a little high for my liking. Just got a cleveland classic xl 14* w an x stiff shaft gonna give it a shot....might have a 13* 3Deep up for grabs if the cleveland turns out to be a better fit.

I will say though...I bought a driver in the BST that was super low spin with a low spin shaft (black tie x flex) and I'm hitting the big dog better than ever. Now I have 2 weapons. Don't give up on ol número uno.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

How long of a shaft are you playing in your driver? My knee jerk reaction would be to recommend cutting it down to 43.5" and get your swing weight reset. A larger faced head and a shorter shaft could be even more consistent for you than your 3-wood.

Watch your tempo as well. That is my biggest enemy on the course and kills drives every time I transition too quick.

Ping G30 10.5 Driver Tour 80 75g S
Ping G30 5-wood TFC 419F 57g S
Ping i25 3-UW irons KBS Tour S
Ping Gorge 54SS, 58SS KBS Tour S
Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, ProV1X
WITB Link

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1387246377' post='8310501']
Man You and I could be twins. Find my last thread and the one before that....bomb driver when it's straight otherwise high slices. Decided I was going 3 wood off the tee. Got a 13* Callaway x hot 3Deep and bomb it, but hit it a little high for my liking. Just got a cleveland classic xl 14* w an x stiff shaft gonna give it a shot....might have a 13* 3Deep up for grabs if the cleveland turns out to be a better fit.

I will say though...I bought a driver in the BST that was super low spin with a low spin shaft (black tie x flex) and I'm hitting the big dog better than ever. Now I have 2 weapons. Don't give up on ol número uno.
[/quote]

Haha sorry to hear about your long ball problems too. How do you like the Deep 3 X Hot? I know Phil Mickelson used that instead of the driver at the British Open and he killed with that thing! Thanks and i'll hit up your other posts.

ST-Z 220 D
TS2 3W

TSR2 7W

T150 4i

T100 5i-GW
SM9 Wedges
Phantom X 5

Ever try and set up with your driver as you would with your 3 wood? Play the ball a bit back, tee it lower, shorten up on the grip and provide more of a down swing.

Perhaps loft is your friend as well. Try out an 11* Driver with a shorter shaft.

Callaway GBB 9* Diamana S+ 60 - Animal Weights
Titleist 915h 2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 70
Titleist 915h 3 Hybrid [size=4]Diamana S+ 82[/size]
Mizuno MP-54 3-5 DG 120
Mizuno MP-64 6-PW DG 120
[size=4]Mizuno MP-T5 50 and 56[/size]
Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank Counterbalanced
Srixon Z Star XV / Bridgestone B330 / Cut Blue

I ordered a stronger (14°) 3 wood because of driver issues. Its not even here so I played with my FT-iQ today.... Proceed to hit 8/10 fairways with it... But it was a good day. It's nice to have a 3 wood in the bag for the back 9 if the driver was bad on the front 9.

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='ocburg17' timestamp='1387247164' post='8310581']
Ever try and set up with your driver as you would with your 3 wood? Play the ball a bit back, tee it lower, shorten up on the grip and provide more of a down swing.

Perhaps loft is your friend as well. Try out an 11* Driver with a shorter shaft.
[/quote]

I've tried everything you've said. Lol I had my RBZ driver fitted and the guy at Golf Galaxy set me up on 9* but I'll try adjusting the driver loft to 11. Ya never know!

ST-Z 220 D
TS2 3W

TSR2 7W

T150 4i

T100 5i-GW
SM9 Wedges
Phantom X 5

[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1387247243' post='8310591']
I ordered a stronger (14°) 3 wood because of driver issues. Its not even here so I played with my FT-iQ today.... Proceed to hit 8/10 fairways with it... But it was a good day. It's nice to have a 3 wood in the bag for the back 9 if the driver was bad on the front 9.
[/quote]

Haha I feel you on that one. But most of the time the driver doesn't stick around to make it the full front 9!

ST-Z 220 D
TS2 3W

TSR2 7W

T150 4i

T100 5i-GW
SM9 Wedges
Phantom X 5

I was in the same situation last year. The advice I will give is if you are hitting your current 15* 3w 280+ then keep it!!!! I started last year with a xh driver and 3w. I quickly realized the xh 15* was as long and most of the time longer and more consistent off a tee. I spent a ton of money chasing more distance with strong 3Ws that never gave me the same control or much more distance. I finally realized I had the perfect 3w all along. Take the easy 280+ you are now getting and you will see your scores drop.

[quote name='Pack7483' timestamp='1387292247' post='8312303']
I was in the same situation last year. The advice I will give is if you are hitting your current 15* 3w 280+ then keep it!!!! I started last year with a xh driver and 3w. I quickly realized the xh 15* was as long and most of the time longer and more consistent off a tee. I spent a ton of money chasing more distance with strong 3Ws that never gave me the same control or much more distance. I finally realized I had the perfect 3w all along. Take the easy 280+ you are now getting and you will see your scores drop.
[/quote]

That's what I was thinking. I don't really believe in the whole "But you have to learn to hit this club" ... I think what works, works. I'll take the 285-290 consistently accurate 3 wood drives over the rare and risky 295-300 yard driver drives any day! Lol Thanks

ST-Z 220 D
TS2 3W

TSR2 7W

T150 4i

T100 5i-GW
SM9 Wedges
Phantom X 5

[quote name='WilCox' timestamp='1387293272' post='8312401']
I agree with Pack. If you're hitting 3W 280+ consistently, then you really don't need a driver.
[/quote]

That was my logic but you know how a lot of guys pull out old school logic and say you have to swing every club... Guess I'll swap out the driver and maybe toss in the ole 5 wood again!

ST-Z 220 D
TS2 3W

TSR2 7W

T150 4i

T100 5i-GW
SM9 Wedges
Phantom X 5

I am on my 5th 3deep club and shaft combo experiment, and still haven't found the magic that the off the shelf xh 15* gave me. For some reason I have been obsessed with the 3deep, but I am about to order another xh 3w off of Callaway preowned. Should of just kept my original! Good luck with what ever you decide to try.

[quote name='Pack7483' timestamp='1387293623' post='8312425']
I am on my 5th 3deep club and shaft combo experiment, and still haven't found the magic that the off the shelf xh 15* gave me. For some reason I have been obsessed with the 3deep, but I am about to order another xh 3w off of Callaway preowned. Should of just kept my original! Good luck with what ever you decide to try.
[/quote]

I was looking into the 3 deep from Callaway ... Pros like Phil seem to dig it but every review I've read from the average joe golfer seems to not like it... I heard it is hard to hit off the deck and also shoots straight up like a hybrid would do. So if those comments are true it doesn't really sound like anything I'm interested in. I like the 3 wood for off the tee as well for off the fairway on long par 5s if needed. What are your thoughts on the 3 deep???

ST-Z 220 D
TS2 3W

TSR2 7W

T150 4i

T100 5i-GW
SM9 Wedges
Phantom X 5

[/quote]

I have the same obsession with the 3 deep! It just looks so darn good at address. Or at least for me it does. And when I hit one right in the nuts it goes for days, but its going too high for my liking. Smoothed out my swing a bit and that helped a ton, but still....got a Cleveland Classic XL 14* that's got an audition this Sunday.

3 Deep may be on its way out the door. Can't believe I just typed that.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

[quote name='tjard13' timestamp='1387294973' post='8312541']
[/quote]

I was looking into the 3 deep from Callaway ... Pros like Phil seem to dig it but every review I've read from the average joe golfer seems to not like it... I heard it is hard to hit off the deck and also shoots straight up like a hybrid would do. So if those comments are true it doesn't really sound like anything I'm interested in. I like the 3 wood for off the tee as well for off the fairway on long par 5s if needed. What are your thoughts on the 3 deep???
[/quote]

They make a low lofted XHP 13.5* that has the shallow face. You might try that one out with a stout low launch low spin shaft. I've considered that myself. That way you can tee it low and hit it from the tee box or still hit it off the deck w the shallow face. If you're hitting 3W 280 (I do too sometimes) then I would say you definitely wouldn't have trouble elevating it. 3Deep from the deck is a nightmare unless you're an amazing ballstriker and even then I'd say shy away from it.

I know you said you tried driver fitting, but I wonder have you tried a slightly stiffer driver shaft? i.e. It goes straight but short with a slower swing. You hit an 80's probably steel McGregor "straight and far". Is it possible the head just isn't stiff enough and isn't closing when you go after it/swing normally?

That said...280 3woods off the tee?...I wish....

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1387297801' post='8312801']
I know you said you tried driver fitting, but I wonder have you tried a slightly stiffer driver shaft? i.e. It goes straight but short with a slower swing. You hit an 80's probably steel McGregor "straight and far". Is it possible the head just isn't stiff enough and isn't closing when you go after it/swing normally?

[/quote]

Well my driver has a stock stiff shaft. I do like the old steel shafted drivers though for some reason (I sound just like Tiger lol)
But yeah I guess the 3 wood distance comes from my high school home run hitting days haha :D

ST-Z 220 D
TS2 3W

TSR2 7W

T150 4i

T100 5i-GW
SM9 Wedges
Phantom X 5

From my own experience I'd been trying Various Driver Set-up'sof late mostly with Large 4600 CC light drivers and I couldn't get them to work noteably the Cally Razr Hawk and the Cleveland DST. I'd been hitting my 3 wood just as far and more consistant, I'm a 10 Handicapper with a smooth swing and usually pretty consistant.
On a wim I found a Titleist 983k (360 cc head) brought it for virtually peanuts and its Straight in the bag. I seem to like the heavier head and feel, its an 8.5* so it does go a lot lower than normal. I was chuffed to bits at the weekend playing with a couple of 6 Handicappers (One using a SLDR) and another using a 510TP I was able to keep up with them.

Driver for Show Putter for dough!

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1387297321' post='8312741']
[/quote]

[/quote]

They make a low lofted XHP 13.5* that has the shallow face. You might try that one out with a stout low launch low spin shaft. I've considered that myself. That way you can tee it low and hit it from the tee box or still hit it off the deck w the shallow face. If you're hitting 3W 280 (I do too sometimes) then I would say you definitely wouldn't have trouble elevating it. 3Deep from the deck is a nightmare unless you're an amazing ballstriker and even then I'd say shy away from it.
[/quote]

I think you have a mild 3 wood addiction haha but yeah that was my only flaw with the 3 deep because I want the ability to smoke one off the fairway as well as the tee box ... I have a friend who is going to FGCU (Florida Gulf Coast) on scholarship and he is bat s*** crazy about the regular X Hot 3 wood. But I've never been a big a Callaway guy, I love Nike woods ... Well Nike everything lol But i'm swinging Taylormades now because I got all into the whole RBZ and Burner hype ... I'm ready to say screw it and just get the Nike VRS Covert and play with the lofts until I find something I like!

ST-Z 220 D
TS2 3W

TSR2 7W

T150 4i

T100 5i-GW
SM9 Wedges
Phantom X 5

[quote name='Nudga' timestamp='1387299248' post='8312955']
From my own experience I'd been trying Various Driver Set-up'sof late mostly with Large 4600 CC light drivers and I couldn't get them to work noteably the Cally Razr Hawk and the Cleveland DST. I'd been hitting my 3 wood just as far and more consistant, I'm a 10 Handicapper with a smooth swing and usually pretty consistant.
On a wim I found a Titleist 983k (360 cc head) brought it for virtually peanuts and its Straight in the bag. I seem to like the heavier head and feel, its an 8.5* so it does go a lot lower than normal. I was chuffed to bits at the weekend playing with a couple of 6 Handicappers (One using a SLDR) and another using a 510TP I was able to keep up with them.
[/quote]

Yeah its all fun and games when I'm out driving uncles and stuff but when I play with my friend who is a scratch player... I just feel like a little kid swinging the 3 wood where he's swinging his Callaway RAZR Xtreme lol the dude strokes but i cant let his fine play get in my head

ST-Z 220 D
TS2 3W

TSR2 7W

T150 4i

T100 5i-GW
SM9 Wedges
Phantom X 5

[quote name='tjard13' timestamp='1387299301' post='8312969']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you have a mild 3 wood addiction haha but yeah that was my only flaw with the 3 deep because I want the ability to smoke one off the fairway as well as the tee box ... I have a friend who is going to FGCU (Florida Gulf Coast) on scholarship and he is bat s*** crazy about the regular X Hot 3 wood. But I've never been a big a Callaway guy, I love Nike woods ... Well Nike everything lol But i'm swinging Taylormades now because I got all into the whole RBZ and Burner hype ... I'm ready to say screw it and just get the Nike VRS Covert and play with the lofts until I find something I like!
[/quote]

Mild isn't even the half of it man. I'm straight up looney tunes when it comes to fwy woods and the thing thats crazy is..like you, I don't need more distance lol. I just want it to look, feel and play the trajectory I am looking for. I can reach just about any Par 5 in 2 with 3 wood off the tee, so its really more about playability. Particularly for me, in the wind since I hit a high ball.

If I can find the right weapon from the tee and the deck, lookout. Short game still might suck, but who needs a short game when you're hittin it close enough for short iron approach shots. Greens in Reg is where I score.

[quote name='tjard13' timestamp='1387298987' post='8312923']
[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1387297801' post='8312801']

[/quote]

Well my driver has a stock stiff shaft. [b] I do like the old steel shafted drivers though for some reason ([/b]I sound just like Tiger lol)
But yeah I guess the 3 wood distance comes from my high school home run hitting days haha :D
[/quote]

Like I said, (and I think you said again if you reread your posts) stock "stiff" (what it says on the TMag label) may not be stiff enough or heavy enough for you. Or at least the RBZ stock stiff.

I need the stock stiff or to go outside the stock in some TMag drivers due to my transition and I'm only at best a bare 90's swingspeed.

Tjard, i also just bought a Cally X Hot Pro 15 last nite for xmas.Bargain price..9 months old....
If it hits in the Fairway..thats the club to Bag.
Merry Xmas !

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1387299928' post='8313017']
[quote name='tjard13' timestamp='1387299301' post='8312969']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mild isn't even the half of it man. I'm straight up looney tunes when it comes to fwy woods and the thing thats crazy is..like you, I don't need more distance lol. I just want it to look, feel and play the trajectory I am looking for. I can reach just about any Par 5 in 2 with 3 wood off the tee, so its really more about playability. Particularly for me, in the wind since I hit a high ball.

If I can find the right weapon from the tee and the deck, lookout. Short game still might suck, but who needs a short game when you're hittin it close enough for short iron approach shots. Greens in Reg is where I score.
[/quote]

Haha same here man, the short game (specifically 40 yards in) needs some work... The distance is there, I just want the self satisfactory of knowing I can swing the big dog I guess... But I guess I gotta just do me, I can live with 290 3 wood smashes off the tee ;) as conceded as that sounds lol

ST-Z 220 D
TS2 3W

TSR2 7W

T150 4i

T100 5i-GW
SM9 Wedges
Phantom X 5

I bag all callaway and played the 3 deep for a while. Great feel, solid performance. Never had the confidence to hit it off the deck, though. I wanted it more for the 13* of loft then the deeper face. So I sold the thing and played a rbz spoon for a while. To be honest, the rbz out performed the Cally. That might have been due to shaft adjustments between the clubs.

My brother plays the TMAG set I started with and he needed a 3 wood so I gave it to him. I've gone back to a driver set up, an I play a standard 15* 3 wood. I can open the face to make it 14* if need be. I prefer the smaller head shape, for whatever reason it gives me more confidence. I've also put driver back in the bag. It's inconsistent but more because of my swing than anything. It does offer more forgiveness and better yardage on controlled swings than the strong 3.

The Cally x hot pro 13 (non deep) has to be a cannon. The TEE xcg6 11.5 has to be strongest 3 wood I've heard of in a modern club.

There's nothing in the rule book that says you can't play drunk.