Bridgestone Ball Fitting

bjackson

My experience
So today my local golf course had a Bridgestone ball fitting, you know, like those TV commercials. Well I pretty much proved them wrong. The guy running the show had me hit my ball of choice (ProV1x). I averaged around 286 yards with 12º launch and 2000 rpm. Pretty good numbers, but not ideal. So he had me try the B330-S to bring up my spin. My launch angle stayed close to the same, maybe a hair more (12.5º) but more importantly my spin got a bit better, up to like 2500 rpm, but my distance dropped significantly to around 270 yards. Then he had me try the B330. It ended up being a little longer than the B330-S (close to 275 yards), but with launch numbers closer to the ProV1x. Launch stayed close to 12º, maybe a hair less, and my spin was around 2100 rpm. I ended up walking away happy for 2 reasons. First I knew I was playing the best ball for my game. Second, he gave me two 2 ball sleeves of balls for free, one B330, one B330-S. Haha...not quite what expected.

Anyone else go through this Bridgestone ball fitting? If so, please post your experience.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not done the official Bridgestone fitting but I had a ball fitting done at my local Golf Etc. with their Trackman Monitor. Bridgestone E6 was the winner along with Srixon SoftFeel. I usually play the Bridgestone but will play the Srixon just to mix it up once in a while. IMO they are a toss-up. I do love them both though and the fitting was worth every penny spent.

Well I pretty much proved them wrong.

I don't know that I'd say you proved them wrong. Sure, their goal is to sell golf balls with this fitting, but I'm sure even they don't expect that launch numbers for every golfer they test are going to improve just by using their balls.

Like you said, it sounds like it was a worth while experience just because you were able to confirm that the ball you're currently using is a pretty good fit for your swing.

Also, the guy doing to demo sounds like a cool guy ... giving you the balls to try on the course even though he knew you weren't going to be buying.

All in all, it sounds like a good experience. These demo days and special events are great and everyone should take advantage of them when and if they come to a location near you.

I did it, but the results were questionable. Two problems as I see it: 1) they used a Vector LM, which they admitted hadn't been accurate and 2) hit into a net, so ball flight could not be assessed. I'd feel more confident if it were done with a Trackman sans net. Overall, their ball fitting program has potential.

The sleeve of (2) balls was a nice touch.

Not to state the obvious, but bring your regular driver. Because my experience was at a larger demo days event, I had to borrow a driver from the Ping tent (as I normally don't carry my own clubs into a demo days setting!).

Well I pretty much proved them wrong.

I don't know that I'd say you proved them wrong. Sure, their goal is to sell golf balls with this fitting, but I'm sure even they don't expect that launch numbers for every golfer they test are going to improve just by using their balls.

Like you said, it sounds like it was a worth while experience just because you were able to confirm that the ball you're currently using is a pretty good fit for your swing.

Also, the guy doing to demo sounds like a cool guy ... giving you the balls to try on the course even though he knew you weren't going to be buying.

All in all, it sounds like a good experience. These demo days and special events are great and everyone should take advantage of them when and if they come to a location near you.

I commend Bridgestone for holding these. It cost the golfer nothing, he got a few free balls and the Bridgestone guy sounded like a good guy.

I did this last year and was using the old E6, cuz it was cheaper than most and felt soft off the putter. I realized that I wasn't getting the distance off the tee, but it really didn't click that it was the ball and not the swing.

The rep/technician was cool, didn't have anyone lined up for several slots, so I got to try pretty much all the balls. Found out that I carried the ball further with the B330s than any other ball. Plus he gave me a sleeve of E5+, B330, & B330s. Pretty happy with the results and look forward to when they come back in town to see if the results have changed or remained the same.

I went through the fitting a few months ago, so I don't remember the exact numbers, but everything was improved after I switched. I was playing the Callaway HX Hot because I wanted some extra distance, and they were less expensive. But after the fitting, I changed to the B330, and couldn't be happier. My distance has improved, and the difference in spin is incredible. Definitely worth 15 minutes of your time. And even if you don't switch, and it confirms that your current ball is the right ball for you, then at least you won't be wondering about it.

• 2 months later...

The Bridgestone folks visited my local Golf Galaxy today, and I couldn't miss the opportunity. I've played the E6+ a little this summer, along with the '07 TP Reds, so I wanted to see what their monitors had to say. I'm not one who knows much about the difference between this launch monitor and that launch monitor, but I will say that I took their results with a grain of salt. Here's what they gave me:

TP Red: SS 118.3, BS 151.4, LA 16.8, BS 4713, SideSpin +1637, Dist 231

e6+: SS 120.8, BS 155.6, LA 20.6, BS 4505, SideSpin +17430, Dist 237

Precept Dist iQ: SS 119.5, BS 154.1, LA 18.9, BS 2715, SideSpin +1120, Dist 255

As I said, I don't like the numbers. My swing was off and a bit over the top, but even my mishits get 231, so I think their distances were out of wack. With that being said though, I certainly didn't expect them to come back with a recommendation of one of their "lower" lever balls in the Precept Dist iQ. For $19.99/Doz., it's not much of a risk, and he gave me 2-Ball sleeves of both the Dist iQ and the e6+. He did say that the e7+ should be my new ball when it comes out because it is built for the high launch, high spin player. More than anything, I learned today that my current driver/shaft combo isn't working with me. I swing too fast, and launch too high. I'll be switching to a X flex High Kick shaft as soon as I can save up a couple extra bucks. Probably an Avila NX (sp?) or ProLaunch Red. Regardless, have a visit with these guys when they come to your town, you're sure to learn something.

The distance on the launch monitors are not "out of whack". Whenever you hit into a net or a screen, and the ball cannot be tracked until it lands, the distance is calculated mathematically. That type of calculation will always look shorter than actual distance, because it is a static measurement. A net has to be used in this type of testing, because competitor balls are used, as well as Bridgestone balls, and you can't keep pumping balls out onto the range!