D3 disappointment

Clark

[quote name='m5power' timestamp='1294798556' post='2890105']
[quote name='Clark' timestamp='1259995154' post='2104779']
I had played for a D3 golf team in the North East, not including me the next best 3 players were mid to high 80's and the cut line for the team was 95. I had been told that the program was serious and competitive. Allow me to tell you what practice composed of.

Once a month mandatory Friday afternoon practice which includes an hour at the gym and a short conference.
Practices were an "e-mail" of what you've done and for how long.

I understand that golf is something most people do on their own, but D3 golf is a joke... Only plus side was the semi decent golf tee, free membership to a club and free tourneys...

I don't know whether or not I am going to play next year, seems that I'd do better playing the weekly tournaments at the club or golf association...
[/quote]

any golf team or school that takes their golf seriously would not be located in the northeast.
[/quote]
My take on northern schools.

some serious golf teams do golf up north. practice in a neted area to work on your swing. having a off season by force is actually a amazing thing. you can not get burned out. gaining weight becomes much easier(if your trying to). Being close to family is another huge part of the comfort zone. Just because there is snow does not mean there are not some very good and serious teams. the biggies thing in up north is more development then results since they dont get all year to practice.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='m5power' timestamp='1294798556' post='2890105']
[quote name='Clark' timestamp='1259995154' post='2104779']
I had played for a D3 golf team in the North East, not including me the next best 3 players were mid to high 80's and the cut line for the team was 95. I had been told that the program was serious and competitive. Allow me to tell you what practice composed of.

Once a month mandatory Friday afternoon practice which includes an hour at the gym and a short conference.

I understand that golf is something most people do on their own, but D3 golf is a joke... Only plus side was the semi decent golf tee, free membership to a club and free tourneys...

I don't know whether or not I am going to play next year, seems that I'd do better playing the weekly tournaments at the club or golf association...
[/quote]

any golf team or school that takes their golf seriously would not be located in the northeast.
[/quote]

yeah I mean if they were any good, they'd take the whole college down to florida...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I played D3 just outside of Philadelphia for 4 years. The southern and Cali teams can destroy a lot of northern D1 schools. I found that in the Northeast for D3 it is very hit or miss, depending a lot on coaching. We had a coach who really did care about the program and we were able to use his country club as our home course, with tournaments and pratice whenever it was warm enought we played at least 4 times per week. Other teams in the area however had coaches who didnt seem to care, and either didnt have a course or could only play when the course was closed so they practiced once a week.

Also year to year our own team was very hit or miss, my freshman year the team shot 330-350(play 5 score 4). The very next year we had 2 freshman come in and 1 upper classman who was previously ineligible come back and we were a 300-310 team with a couple of rounds in the 290s. I felt that year we stacked up pretty well with most D1 schools in the Philadelphia area.

I was fortunate enough to play in the D3 NCAA championships 2 years and i can attest to how good those southern teams are. I think it was in 2009 Methodist on the 1st day, their 5th score that they dropped was a 72.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='C-Law' timestamp='1307736521' post='3298799']

I was fortunate enough to play in the D3 NCAA championships 2 years and i can attest to how good those southern teams are. I think it was in 2009 Methodist on the 1st day, their 5th score that they dropped was a 72.
[/quote]

Can someone tell me about D3 championship? I'm about to join a small D3 team whose program started last year, so the team itself isn't that competitive, but I'm a former high school golfer who averaged about 35-37 (9 holes) and I'm looking forward to competing again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='golf983' timestamp='1309828816' post='3364597']
[quote name='C-Law' timestamp='1307736521' post='3298799']
[/quote]

Can someone tell me about D3 championship? I'm about to join a small D3 team whose program started last year, so the team itself isn't that competitive, but I'm a former high school golfer who averaged about 35-37 (9 holes) and I'm looking forward to competing again.
[/quote]

The D3 national championship is unbelievible. The entire time we were there our team kept saying to each other "There is no way we are good enough to deserve all this." The problem if your joining a team that just started means they probably wont be that good, plus you usually need a certain amount of years in a conference to be allowed to earn a national championship bid. Thats assuming their conference even has an automatic bid for the winning which isnt always the case.

If you shoot average in the 70s you are good enough to find a D3 school that is established in a conference where they are able to win an automatic bid to the NCAA championships.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1293035065' post='2853933']
I played DIII in Michigan in the 90s and we had a range from guys would shoot low 70s to mid 80s. It is the nature of D3 Sports - no scholarships.

Enjoy the free golf and the tournaments - and just enjoy college.
[/quote]

+1. You got free golf. Qiutcherbitchin'.

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Tjc Tyler,Texas. Jut got upgraded to a four year college, and I hear the golf team is pretty good.

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

• 11 months later...

Playing D3 golf well is one way to climb the ranks to D1. However for those students who want to go to a D1 school but don't have a full ride offer can still play competitive golf in the National Collegiate Club Golf Association. Varsity Coaches are aware of club teams on campus and there are weekend 36 tournaments in addition to national championships to get real scoring rounds in. Lots of very good players go the club golf route that certainly could be D2 or D3 players elsewhere.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Little known fact but you can play in weekly comps and golf ASSCN events and still play for your school