Ping G400 vs Titleist 818 H1

Huntingchris0000

I am looking for opinions on both of these from people who have hit both. I am considering dropping the 4 and 5 iron and playing 22 and 26 ping or 23 and 27 Titleist. My concern is I tend to miss left with a hybrid and the ping is supposedly more draw weighted on the higher loft and is non adjustable. The Titleist is adjustable. Opinions please

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We may have fairly similar setups. Late in the season I replaced my G15 irons/hybrids with Titleist 718 AP1 irons 6i - 48*new and I also picked up mint 816 H1 hybrids. I didn't have the opportunity to put the hybrids through the paces to understand distance gapping before the weather turned. The setup I expect to work is 23*, 27*, and then 6 iron.

I have not hit the 818 H1 or G400. I understand 816 H1 and 818 H1 are similar beyond Surefit CG and the ARC being fully closed out in the 818 version,.

As many others here I have always pulled hybrids but picked up an 818 H2 21 and put the fade weight it. Flies straight to baby draw and I can cut it if I want. Haven’t tried the G400 but the lack of adjustability was a concern to me because I do tend to pull hybrids and no way to adjust the club to correct that miss

They both are good heads. I have hit both.

I personally much prefer the Titleist 818 H1s. They have been transformative clubs for me. I do not think the adjustability of lie and loft can be underestimated. Since I want a hybrid to serve as a true iron replacent, they must gap correctly. The adjustability has allowed me to gap the 818 H1s perfectly and I now have all yardage’s covered from 80 to 220 yards (absent user error). I like the Titleist so much and have so much confidence that I just bought one to replace my 5 iron, and I really hit my 5 iron fine. I just think I will be even more confident with the hybrid.

I also think the standard shaft offerings with the Titleist are better. They certainly are more diverse. Of course, the Titleists are more expensive.

• 9 months later...

I tried both the 818H1 and the G400. I ended up with the 816’s. But if I had to choose between the 818 and G400, I’d pick the 818’s.

For me the 816 and 818 were nearly identical in feel and performance. The 818’s were about 2-3 yards longer on the average. But at the time the 816’s went on sale and the 2-3 yards weren’t worth the price for me.

Overall I’m a Ping guy. So for me to purchase something else it has to outperform the Ping club more than it probably should.

What I found was that the 818’s felt better, were longer, launched higher, had a better angle of descent, had better dispersion and I was able to work the ball both ways pretty easily.

With the G400’s, I could only hit baby draws, which is my natural shot. Had a hard time hitting a fade. I had played the G30 hybrids since they came out, and didn’t find the G400 much of an improvement. Not saying they are not really good clubs because I gamed the Pings for 3-4 years.

Ping G410 plus Tour65 S
PING G410 3w Tour 75 S
PING G410 hybrids: 18*, 22* & 26* TENSEI PRO BLUE 80 GR S
[PING G410 irons: 6 - U Nippon MODUS³ Tour 105
PING Glide 3.0 Wedges: 54* SS, & 60* SS

Scott Cameron Fastback 2.0
Member of TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

I have never played a hybrid until I hit an 818 H1 in a rental set. It is now my favorite club!

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

Okay, I'll bite. I play a G400 4 hybrid and an 818 H1 5 hybrid. Happy with both. The G400 generally is close to the target and consistent in it's distance. Does not balloon in the air, gives a fairly piercing trajectory. I can hit it well off the tee or the deck. Also feels real good to hit. Don't fight a hook on this one. For me, a well hit ball is in the 190-200 yard range. A very reliable club. I'm an old hacker--87-90 driver swing speed, 13-14 hi, 66 yrs old.

The 818 is newer to me and a bit more intriguing. I took it on as an experiment. Have hit some bombs with it off the tee and also have hit nicely out of the rough. More variability in length, but that also means I've hit some lovely tee shots with it that were accurate and long (but not long enough to get me in trouble). Can hook it, but most of the time it goes where it is supposed to go. The 818 has a taller face and does better out of the rough than the G400 (loft helps as well, of course). Distance is usually in the 175-190 range. But I've had a couple of tee shots with this thing that were close to 200, which obviously overlaps the G400. Just more distance disparity with the 818, at least for me.

Have tried the 818 H1 4 hybrid. For reasons I don't fathom, I can't hit a lick with that stick. I'll spend a bit more time with it this winter, see if it's worth further effort.

For the moment, I'm quite comfortable with these two in the bag. I know, doesn't make sense. I ought to have matching hybrids. But these work. And there's a whole lot about my golf swing that doesn't make a lot of sense, so why worry about this oddity?

I own the G400 in 19* and 22*, also used to play an 816 as well. However I'm not using any hybrids in the current set up.

The G400 is supposed to be more draw biased but I've been able to play a fade or straight shot more often than a draw with it. Personally don't fight a hook either with them either. I like the G400's because they're consistent in yardage and flight.

Thinking back to the 816's, I fought a hook but back then my swing was in a very different place. What I do remember is that they were pretty hot off the face. Best memory was when I was playing an executive course and reached the green on a 250 yd shot with the 3 hybrid.

Okay, I'll bite. I play a G400 4 hybrid and an 818 H1 5 hybrid. Happy with both. The G400 generally is close to the target and consistent in it's distance. Does not balloon in the air, gives a fairly piercing trajectory. I can hit it well off the tee or the deck. Also feels real good to hit. Don't fight a hook on this one. For me, a well hit ball is in the 190-200 yard range. A very reliable club. I'm an old hacker--87-90 driver swing speed, 13-14 hi, 66 yrs old.

The 818 is newer to me and a bit more intriguing. I took it on as an experiment. Have hit some bombs with it off the tee and also have hit nicely out of the rough. More variability in length, but that also means I've hit some lovely tee shots with it that were accurate and long (but not long enough to get me in trouble). Can hook it, but most of the time it goes where it is supposed to go. The 818 has a taller face and does better out of the rough than the G400 (loft helps as well, of course). Distance is usually in the 175-190 range. But I've had a couple of tee shots with this thing that were close to 200, which obviously overlaps the G400. Just more distance disparity with the 818, at least for me.

Have tried the 818 H1 4 hybrid. For reasons I don't fathom, I can't hit a lick with that stick. I'll spend a bit more time with it this winter, see if it's worth further effort.

For the moment, I'm quite comfortable with these two in the bag. I know, doesn't make sense. I ought to have matching hybrids. But these work. And there's a whole lot about my golf swing that doesn't make a lot of sense, so why worry about this oddity?

This has me leaning towards the G400 I think. For me the hybrid is still an accuracy club. I don't want to be going for a pin ~200y away and hit it either 190 or 210..

the G400 longer hybrids have weight shifted toward the toe to help prevent it from going left. Also, the new Ping hybrid coming out in a couple of months is supposed to be adjustable

Any idea about when these might be coming out? I might hold off on the G400 hybrid and wait on these. I have a 4i and 5i now that, while less than ideal, will be just fine for the remaining ~1 month of the golf season I have left. Outside of that I'm pretty much waiting until early April to golf again. Maybe in that time enough new stuff will be released that I'll have some totally new hybrids to look at!

I just traded in my Mizuno CLK for a G400 3 hybrid. After hitting both, I love the look of the G400 and i hit it more consistently. More consistent distances and better height with each shot. The CLK was great, but a little inconsistent in distances for me depending on strike. Some would travel an extra 10-15 yards and I struggled to get it as high as the G400.

I havn't hit the 818/816, although the shape is very similar to the CLK. But the G400's consistency is what won me over

the G400 longer hybrids have weight shifted toward the toe to help prevent it from going left. Also, the new Ping hybrid coming out in a couple of months is supposed to be adjustable

Any idea about when these might be coming out? I might hold off on the G400 hybrid and wait on these. I have a 4i and 5i now that, while less than ideal, will be just fine for the remaining ~1 month of the golf season I have left. Outside of that I'm pretty much waiting until early April to golf again. Maybe in that time enough new stuff will be released that I'll have some totally new hybrids to look at!

I'd say probably around the PGA show. not definite though.

I've hit both and currently have a Ping G that I don't hook at all. Will be trading the G for the G400 for the extra ball speed and distance. 3 hybrid 19* is great off the tee and approach on par 5s. 818 H1 I didn't care for the head shape or color.

Driver: TM Sim2 Max Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 7X

3W: TM M2 (2016) 3HL Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 8TX

DI: Srixon ZX 20* AD DI Hybrid 95X

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW TT X100

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 TT X100

Putter: SC Newport 2 Custom

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x