P790 gapping question

checkswing ·  
checkswingcheckswing Members  273WRX Points: 60Posts: 273 Greens
Has anyone determined the gaps on these irons are too much, especially in the short irons? Or are they just fine. 5 degrees seems like a lot but the engineers at TM should know best.

Also, what’s you’re shortest iron and wedge loft following ?

Thanks!
Posted:

Comments

• kyle316kyle316 Members  476WRX Points: 73Posts: 476 Greens
    If anything, from the reviews I have seen, the gapping issue is in the long irons.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • checkswingcheckswing Members  273WRX Points: 60Posts: 273 Greens
    Interesting - that’s not what I was thinking.
    Posted:
  • bird_4_3bird_4_3 Members  620WRX Points: 101Handicap: 8.6Posts: 620 Golden Tee
    Short irons to me are no longer than my old clubs. 7 iron up is where the gap gets larger. Must be the slots. Gap to me is not bad, just 15 yards instead of 12.
    Posted:
    Ping G410 
    Epic 3
    XR 16 3 and 4 Hybrid
    Ping I210 5-UW
    TM Ardmore
    Ping Stealth Wedges
  • checkswingcheckswing Members  273WRX Points: 60Posts: 273 Greens
    So maybe strengthen the 8/9W/G to better match the 7? Not concerned with bigger gaps in the long irons. Thinking of dropping a hybrid and just playing the 4 to make room for wedges. I play a short tight course with small greens and thick rough.
    Posted:
  • JoeJoeJoeUrBoatJoeJoeJoeUrBoat Leamington OntarioMembers  881WRX Points: 172Handicap: 4.9Posts: 881 Golden Tee
    Couldn’t tell you the gapping in the long irons because my 4 and 5 iron still haven’t come in... :’( Stupid back order!
    Posted:
    TS2 10.5 Tensei Blue 55g
    TS2 15 Tensei Blue 65g
    TS2 18 Tensei Blue 65g
    Miura CB 501 3-PW PX 5.5 Rifle
    (54.10.S) SM7 Chrome
    Hi-Toe Rory McIlroy "RORS" 61 (248/1000)
    Rory McIlroy Scotty Cameron "RORS"
  • want2bprowant2bpro Members  99WRX Points: 21Posts: 99 Fairways
    i thought i had this exact issue after ordering a custom set from taylormade- gaps were tremendous in 5/6/7, and even worse (20 yards) between my 7 and 8. my shorter irons do not seem to have any more distance than my older RAC 5's.

then i thought it double check the lie and loft- literally not one iron was made properly- they were not even uniform, as each club was not built to standard loft, and each lie was different.

had my fitter fix my irons, but i have yet to be able to hit w them....plan to next week in a sim, and i suspect my gap issues are much better than they were
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • JeddAlcaldeJeddAlcalde Members  8WRX Points: 0Handicap: 6Posts: 8
    This is the main reason why I chose the p770. I don't feel any difference between the 2 sets but the gapping on the 790 about 15+ yards. If you don't need the extra yards, I can't justify picking it. My comfort zone is about 12 yards on my irons.
    Posted:
  • uglandeuglande Members  396WRX Points: 276Posts: 396 Greens
    bird_4_3 wrote:

Short irons to me are no longer than my old clubs. 7 iron up is where the gap gets larger. Must be the slots. Gap to me is not bad, just 15 yards instead of 12.

My biggest gap is between the 7 and 8 iron. Not a big deal. Pretty standard gaps with the rest. (Just FYI: I play with shaft-lengths 1/4" apart instead of 1/2". That might slightly narrow all of my gaps for me).
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 7.75 (Hzrdus Yellow HC)
    Titleist TS3 15.0 (Hzrdus Yellow HC)
    Titleist TS3 18.0 (Hzrdus Yellow HC)
    Titleist U-500 3 iron (Hzrdus Smoke Black)
    Titleist U-500 4 iron (Hzrdus Smoke Black)
    Mizuno MP 20 5 iron-Pi (Nippon Modus3 Tour 120)
    Titleist SM8 54D | 58M (Nippon Modus3 Tour 120)
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.