Rusting a Wedge question

jmanganiello7 ·  
jmanganiello7jmanganiello7 Members  3WRX Points: 7Posts: 3 Starters

So I am rusting a SM7 vokey wedge. It was originally black but I used naval jelly to remove the finish. Sanded it down a bit too just to make sure I was underneath all the finish. I made a solution of hyrdogen peroxide 16oz, White Wine Vinegar 2oz, and Salt 1/2oz. I applied it to the wedge and BOOM instantly starts rusting. HOWEVA I can't get it to keep the rust on it. Once it drys its nice and rusted and kinda rough. All good things but the second I play with it I hit a shot wipe my wedge and take a bunch of rust right with me. Is this how its always going to be. Should I use more solution maybe soak it a bit? Any advice would be great!

Thank you

Posted:

Comments

• swgolf12swgolf12 Members  1079WRX Points: 215Posts: 1,079 Platinum Tees

It's due to the fact that original Jet Black is some funky sort of coating that even though you're removing it, you're still not getting down to the actual bare carbon steel, so you're not going to get that true raw/rusted wedge look.

Posted:
    Some Combo of the Below
    Adams XTD 10.5 PL Blue 55X
    Titleist 917F2 16.5* P95X
    Nike VR Pro LTD 19* P95X
    UDI 16* VS-Proto 85X
    VFP 19* Fuji Pro-95 X
    TWU #4 C-Taper 130
    Nike VR Pro Combo or Pro Blade 5-PW C-Taper 130
    National Custom/SSC 53 & 58 C-Taper 130
    Raw Hi-Toe 64* C-Taper 130
    Circle T Studio Design 1.5/Catalina 2 Weld Neck beached/T22 Newport

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jmanganiello7jmanganiello7 Members  3WRX Points: 7Posts: 3 Starters

Any suggestions? Just sand the **** out of it lol

Posted:
  • jmanganiello7jmanganiello7 Members  3WRX Points: 7Posts: 3 Starters

So just sand it more? Or will I never be able to get a true raw look?

Posted:
  • DallasSteveDallasSteve Members  761WRX Points: 96Handicap: 3Posts: 761 Golden Tee

I've read that rust actually makes a wedge spin less because the rusty stuff comes off a bit when it hits a ball. Rusty wedges spin LESS, not MORE. Yours may be doing exactly what it's supposed to.

Posted:
  • nitramnitram WestOK, on the South Canadian Riviera Members  5638WRX Points: 368Handicap: -.6Posts: 5,638 Titanium Tees

Think about this; every time your club makes contact with a ball its sole and face contact the ground. This is an abrasive action that will remove almost anything from the bare metal, including coating and rust.

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 3D 10.5* Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60
    Exotics CBX 119 13.5* & 18* Accra TourZ 382
    Exotics CBX 22* Accra TZ5-95H
    PING S55 5-9 Mitsubishi MMT-125TX
    Callaway MD5 JAWS 46S, 50S, 54W, 58C  Mitsubishi MMT-125 TX (9-iron)
    Cameron 009 Prototype (A010656)
  • swgolf12swgolf12 Members  1079WRX Points: 215Posts: 1,079 Platinum Tees

You most likely won't be able to get a true raw look due to the process Titleist uses from the factory on the jet black. I don't know of anyone who has been able to successfully remove that finish and get it to look like a SM7 raw that you'd get from wedge works.

Posted:
    Some Combo of the Below
    Adams XTD 10.5 PL Blue 55X
    Titleist 917F2 16.5* P95X
    Nike VR Pro LTD 19* P95X
    UDI 16* VS-Proto 85X
    VFP 19* Fuji Pro-95 X
    TWU #4 C-Taper 130
    Nike VR Pro Combo or Pro Blade 5-PW C-Taper 130
    National Custom/SSC 53 & 58 C-Taper 130
    Raw Hi-Toe 64* C-Taper 130
    Circle T Studio Design 1.5/Catalina 2 Weld Neck beached/T22 Newport

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.