Any folks with a cervical fusion out there?

jaketig

Hello, first post and looking for feedback.

I am 48 and a disabled vet. I need a fusion of my c5/6 and c6/7 vertebrae. So I know everyone’s experience is different but am looking for a little hope.

so my big question is this, does anyone out there have a neck fusion? How did it affect your swing? Did your return terrify you or was it just standard “go-slow” rehab? Did you lose speed, rotation, etc? My driver swing speed even with a crappy neck is 104-5 and I LOVE the game. I have heard a lot of motion is not at this level per se, and I already compensate with more head motion during the swing. To offest shock I play jumbo grips and recoil stiff smacwrap shafts already.

I am not looking for medical advice just “company”. I know my progress will be dictated by the doc. I have scoured the web and couldn’t find much info related to neck fusion and golf. I am really actually quite worried about losing the ability to play the game and am curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

thanks much,

Julian

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had cervical fusion about 4.5 years ago. The first thing I asked the surgeon was how long before golf. He said 6 weeks. I scheduled my follow-up appointments to be done 6 weeks to the day. Played the next day. No issues. I had forgotten about my neck until hole 3, so excited to play. I know, hard to believe. I never looked back. No range of motion loss in the golf swing. I had a really good surgeon, this was a very minor surgery for him. He also was a no nonsense, south Texan, who basically told me to suck it up during recovery. Getting up and around right away did help.

Hey Jaketig,

Thank you for your service, and do not despair. I'm a club pro and started with bulging cervical discs about 15 years ago. It got progressively worse and I went back about 6 years ago for another mri and it had gotten worse but still just bulging. Then they became herniated about a year later. I was hitting balls on the range and I hit this one shot and this crazy pain shot down my arm from my neck. Like hitting your funny bone X 1,000. Then I started getting numbness in my fingers and pain was terrible, so I finally went back to the Doc. He did a strength test on my hands and arms. I'm left handed and my left hand should be about 20% stronger than my right, but it was 30% weaker. He told me I had 2 herniated discs and significant nerve damage, and I needed surgery asap to minimize the nerve damage.

So I got the level 2 discectomy and fusion. Woke up from surgery and I had zero nerve pain for the first time in over 10 years, but my shoulder was killing me. Doc said thats normal, so I went along with it. Then after a cpl months I started rehab 3 times a week. Therapist would say, hows your neck, and I'd say great, but my shoulder is killing me. Now its 3 months out and I can't lift my right hand to my face. Therapist says he thinks I suffered a rotator cuff tear while i was knocked out. Got the mri and it was confirmed. Something happened when i was knocked out, my arm fell off the bed or something, and I ended up with capsulitis in the right shoulder, similar to frozen shoulder. It took about 3 more months to recover from that.

Anyway, the cervical fusion for me has been unbelievably good, like a miracle. I have zero pain. I can hit balls for a few hours like i used to with no problem. Can play 36 in a day no problem. Have not lost club speed, gained a few mph and I'm 50. I have some limitation in turning my neck to the left, slight. But it used to hurt when my left arm swung across me, and now I can let it go over there no problem, no pain. After the surgery they are going to tell you that the only rehab you can do for like 6-8 weeks is walk, do it. They told me I should walk at least a few miles a day, and so whatever they told me, i doubled it. I guess it has something to do with getting oxygen and blood flowing through your spine more through just walking, IDK, but my advise, just do it, walk like 5-7 miles a day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So surgery was 1/24, I'm still out of work but all went well and pain and numbness are gone. They fused c5/6 and c6/7. It looks like my motion will be similar to before surgery so when I actually get out and swing I'll post an update.

As surgery goes it was one night in hospital and based on bone density etc. I don't even have a soft collar. I did buy one though cause it makes being a passenger in a car so much nicer.

Sleeping and swallowing after this surgery sucks, as a matter of course you have to buy a wedge pillow and lots of soft easy to swallow food.

Had a two level fusion in 2013 (I was 37 at the time). C6-C7, C7-T1. Immediate pain relief. No real side effects, except for a very slight motion restriction when I turn my head to the right, but it's not enough to really be an issue.

I was able to chip/putt after about 3 weeks, and able to take full swings after 6 weeks. It definitely affected me for a while. I probably lost a club of distance initially, but after a while it came back, and I don't have any problems now.

I had the same surgery ten years ago when I was 47. Follow the surgeons and Physio instructions to make sure it heals properly and you will be fine.

it took me awhile to build back the muscles in the neck and upper back area. Years. But my golf game never suffered.

It never will be as good as it was when I was young and I have to keep taking care of it

Another guy I know did not follow instructions and is messed up badly now.

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others