2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Dave Pelz Spreadsheet

Has any one made one?
Seeing how Mr.Pelz loves his stats you would think he would have software or a spreadsheet that the every day golfer can utilize to compare his short game index to the tour pros and for users to analyze recent improvements or set backs and there averages.

If there is one available please pass a link or where i can find it, that would be wonderful

Iv made a simple and small one and have it attached if any one would like it.

I'm not the best at coordinating information on excel and would like to make my template broader with more comparative information that can easily be used

If you see things that can be added to make the spread sheet more dynamic with more comparisons please send feedback and your template

yea i attached the wrong one. but any way its simple if you have recorded your scores/points for the 8 drills that pelz has outlined to do just enter your score to the corresponding yellow line and go down and complete the list.

you total will be caluculated at the top under that date and at the bottom.

Once you have entered the results in the second date it will calculate the changes that you have made in your scores (ex. first day you you had 6points for the 50 yard wedge and the second day or time you recorded your information you had 9points it will show that you improved by 3, if it where the other way around it would show -3 as you scored 3 pointes lower.

the totals at the top are there to show how consistent you are and if your improving or not.

At the bottom is a table that averages your amount of points scored for each category. The reason i did this was so that you can compare it to the Tour AVG.

I think i might change it to show total points for each category instead of dividing by 2. Every thing on the left is from the book and should be used as a measuring tool.

I think the biggest benifit one can have from this is the +/- comparisons

hope we can reformulate it and make it easier, clearer and have it compute more avgs for better comparisons

Kidfromkanada,

Here's a spreadsheet that I put together using yours as inspiration. I do a lot with excel, so I can pretty much make it do anything you want take a look and let me know what additional info you'd like on it. You just add your scores omn the second tab labeled "Test Log" in the yellow area at the top. don't change any values anywhere else on the sheet as everything else is formula and reference driven.

The front tab has the score/hdcp chart along with the tour ranges. Your most recent calculated short game hdcp will highlight in red. The chart on the right had the scales for each test from Pelz's website. Again, the most recent score highlights in red. I added a red line and shifted everything over to try and align the approximate scratch demarcation. That way you can easily see which part of your short game is holding you back.

lastly, there is a graph on the bottom of the page that shows the change in your short game handicap over time by category (the ones that you had listed - edge, bunker, chipping, etc) as well as the over all. Again, that should make it easier to see what is driving any changes.

let me know what you think and what you would like to add/change.

Jason

[edit: I removed the file and posted the updated version in a post below.]

Am I ever glad that you found my post,

That is one wicked spread sheet, I'm a huge fan of the graph and red box comparison.

there is one thing that the graph and equations will need some tweaking. For all things that are a + handicap will not show all to well on the graph. The entire bottom just turned into a black scramble. I entered my scores in over top of yours and the handicap by category also didnt show any numbers. Did I accidentally screw something up?

Did you make this with excel 03 or 07?

At the moment it is pretty friggen sweet.

Mr.Pariso you have made one great contribution

Thanks for the kudos gents. I've spent way too much time with excel. A few quick things:

1.) It looks like the x-axis on the chart wasn't working correctly and that is what was making it difficult to read. I've fixed it and put in some data for sand shots that calculates a +X handicap as an example. It seems to be working fine now. I also changed the x-axis so that "scratch" is a green line.

2.) For those that asked, I added an instructions page with the pictures and instructions straight from the Pelz Golf website. They print out in landscape on 3 pages so you can take them to the range if you want. Also, for those that are interested, here's the link to the site: Pelz Golf Short Game Hdcp.

3.) I'm not sure that the Tour Avg stat applies anymore. It looks like he may have changed the tests slightly or at least the scale, because some of the tour avg scores would be single digit handicaps, not the scratch or better I would have assumed. I may be wrong, so if anyone wants to verify and let me know, I'll make some changes to highlight those as well.

4.) Data should only be entered into the yellow box on the second page. Everything else is a formula or reference and changing them will blow up the rest of the sheet. there are even some hidden cells that do the counting across, so to be safe, stick to the yellow box.

5.) I'm using excel 2007, but I actually prefer 2003 and this sheet should work the same in both since I always use compatibility mode.

6.) Each tab is formatted to printout in landscape mode on one page (excluding the instructions), with the same header.

Let me know what other data or charts you would like to see and I can add those as well.

Jason

• Like 1

Hi,

I have also been looking for something like this. It seems that it could be a good way to find out which short game area each should practice. Thanks for starting this thread kidfromkanada and thanks for posting the spreadsheet jjpariso!

I had some spare time at the office :busted2: so here is my contribution to the "Pelz-sheet" that jjpariso attached. I hope I did not blow up the spreadsheet...

Here is what I did:

-included the Pelz's putting game calculation as well

-made slight modification to the "green reading" part so there is no need to buy the Pelz's Putting Tutor (Sorry Pelz)

-should work in 2003, not sure about 2007

-yards changed to metres (approximations)

-last averages stay on the graphs and also plus hcp shows

-changed tour averages the point where hcp changes to positive (I have no idea about the averages on tour)

I hope that there are not too many mistakes in the spreadsheet...

Enjoy your short game practice!

-J-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Havnt been on golfwrx for a while. since the last time i was on my hard drive crashed so good bye to everything on that. Now that im up and running again i started to miss my spread sheet.

Gotta say the new one from JJ is awsome, if any one is serious about practicing this will help you make great improvements on your short game

[quote name='bparker' post='2037713' date='Nov 1 2009, 12:37 AM']Wow, now that is really putting Excel to work! Are there any plans on making a chart for his putting stations? Thanks again for doing all this really great work![/quote]
Check out jerisurf's post above - he's already inlcuded the putting stations. It should be no problem to convert from m back to yd/ft again...

THANKS A LOT, to all Excel-Meisters here, you all have done a great job!!

greetings
michi

• 1 month later...
  • 10 years later...
  • 8 months later...