Z Star X review.

Relaxxx

Fun fun.
Alright, so I took a trip to Edwin Watts today to buy some gloves and tees, and a few of the guys that work there, who have been telling me for months to try the Z star X, finally got me to buy a dozen. Everyone there uses it, and they aren't under contract to do so. So I figured it could be a pretty good ball.

This will be an ongoing review which I will update regularly;

Carpet chipping-
Pro V1x- On a standard 'spinny chip', ball would move 5 feet after landing
Z Star X- On same standard 'spinny chip', ball would move 5 and a half to 6 feet after landing.

On super spinny chips where the ball spins back or stops within an inch on normal greens;
Pro V1x- ball stopped within 2 feet after landing
Z star X- Stopped within 3 feet after landing.

Ball feels nice. About like the ProV1X.
The guys at Watts told me to use it since they know I have a higher SS, and they said they sell the Z Star X to higher speed swingers than any other ball.
So. I hope you enjoy my ongoing review.
Any questions, ask. Got a shot you want me to try? I'll do it. Just ask.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Eternal_Envoy' date='05 July 2010 - 05:34 PM' timestamp='1278369244' post='2556178']
Alright, so I took a trip to Edwin Watts today to buy some gloves and tees, and a few of the guys that work there, who have been telling me for months to try the Z star X, finally got me to buy a dozen. Everyone there uses it, and they aren't under contract to do so. So I figured it could be a pretty good ball.

Carpet chipping-
Z Star X- On same standard 'spinny chip', ball would move 5 and a half to 6 feet after landing.

On super spinny chips where the ball spins back or stops within an inch on normal greens;

The guys at Watts told me to use it since they know I have a higher SS, and they said they sell the Z Star X to higher speed swingers than any other ball.
[/quote]

I just bought a sleeve of the Yellow Ones to compare to the ProV1X. It will be tough to beat out the titleist.

[quote name='TCMP' date='05 July 2010 - 06:42 PM' timestamp='1278369778' post='2556202']
[quote name='Eternal_Envoy' date='05 July 2010 - 05:34 PM' timestamp='1278369244' post='2556178']

Carpet chipping-

[/quote]

I just bought a sleeve of the Yellow Ones to compare to the ProV1X. It will be tough to beat out the titleist.
[/quote]

I know what you mean man. I am in love with the pro V1x. I'm just trying the Z star X for fun. if it beats my Prov1X, I will be shocked.

It beat out the V1x for me......the V1x has always been a great ball for me except from about 100-120 out.....spins too much. The Z-Star X performs similar for me in all ways except it doesn't spin quit as much on approach shots which works for me.

The yellow one is awesome.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

The X seems hard to me. My normal ball is the TP red. The z-star X is supposed to be more like the TP black but I think the black spins a lot more. I usually use my yellow X's as a second ball if I hit my first in the woods or mesa a provisional ball. My swing speed is only 100 with the driver but the ball goes fairly well.

For some reason I didn't care for the regular z-stars. I only played them for a short time but they seemed to spin too much.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

I've got the swing speed for the Star X, but prefer the ZStar. I'm sure the StarX is a little longer, but I'm plenty long enough w/ the ZStar and LOVE how it performs w/ the short game shots and putting. I honestly think these are the best balls out there. The ZStar is longer than the ProV1 and I find is easier to control around the greens. I'd occasionally get a ball that spun way to much w/ the ProV1 line and don't have that problem any longer. Just to note: of the Srixon Staffers, I think most are using the ZStar , not the X model, but that might also be b/c of the grooves.

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway XR 3Deep 14* Aerotech Ti-Fiber 70 F5
Srixon u45 20* Nunchuk Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 Mk II 4 iron  Nippon Modus 105x

Srixon ZX7 5-AW  Nippon Modus 120x

Taylormade MG4 54* SB, 60* TW True Temper TI s400
LAB MEZZ.1 MAX

I love the Z Star X, seems to go a lot straighter than any other ball I have played, goes farther as well, it doesn't spin as much as other but I am still getting one hop and stop which I prefer anyway. Its definitely a good ball for windy conditions.

RBZ Driver / Voodoo X
RBZ Tour 3w / X-Con 7 X
Ping i15 20* Rescue / Altus X
Titleist AP1 5-AW / S300s
Vokey 54 58 62 / S400s
Odyssey #9

I switched to the Z-Star X Yellow from the Pro V1x this Spring and have never looked back. I like everything about the ball. It's longer and straighter for me and I get plenty of spin when I need it. biggrin.gif A lot of people think it feels "clicky" off of the putter, but I haven't noticed that at all. I am very pleased with the switch.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Flash Star Hybrid JDM 26* - Speeder Evolution S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron  Del Mar - California 

Jones  Rover R Utility

I finally gave in and tried a sleeve of the X. I have been playing the TP Reds for two years now and wont play anything else. I did give ProvX sleeve a try again this year but just dont like em. Same problem with the StarX, still too much spin. With the StarX i have been getting just ballooning shots with my long irons and lose like twenty yards.

With my reds, aka ole reliable, i always know what to expect and what i am getting. Ball just penetrates the wind and is always consistent around greens which makes it easier to score and play cause you know exactly how it will react every time.

But at least i did give em a chance.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Chip shots- Too much spin. Can't control it. Short shots between 20-60 yards were spinning back between 3-8 feet.

Irons- Too much spin. Stopping 6 and 7 irons in their ball marks on firm greens.(Vanderbilt Legends Club). It was too much, but it was more controllable. Maybe a 5 yard distance loss? It was good. Some shots ballooned, but I think that is because of a swing change I'm going through

Full wedges- This was fun. On full and half wedge shots, the spin was very controllable. From 80-145 yards, the spin was like a remote control. I could rip one back 25 feet, or make one stop within an inch of its ball mark. I liked this the most, probably.

Driver- Kinda iffy here. Very muted sound off the driver, increased carry, but almost zero roll out. I was barely getting 7-8 yards of roll out. But the increased carry put it at the same distance as the proV1x for me.

Putter- I liked this a lot. Very soft and muted. Definitely not clicky.

All in all, I like it.

[quote name='jones137' date='05 July 2010 - 03:51 PM' timestamp='1278370315' post='2556225']
It beat out the V1x for me......the V1x has always been a great ball for me except from about 100-120 out.....spins too much. The Z-Star X performs similar for me in all ways except it doesn't spin quit as much on approach shots which works for me.

[/quote]

I'm right there with you. Tired of hitting a wedge tight and watching it come back a long way. Being a Titleist guy though, it's hard to stray. I might try the NXT. Was thinking about switching out the wedges to the CC and drop my 710 PW for a 48° Vokey. Cheaper to switch balls though!

[quote name='golfwrxnut' date='10 July 2010 - 01:50 PM' timestamp='1278784232' post='2567013']
[quote name='jones137' date='05 July 2010 - 03:51 PM' timestamp='1278370315' post='2556225']

[/quote]

I'm right there with you. Tired of hitting a wedge tight and watching it come back a long way. Being a Titleist guy though, it's hard to stray. I might try the NXT. Was thinking about switching out the wedges to the CC and drop my 710 PW for a 48° Vokey. Cheaper to switch balls though!
[/quote]

How odd. I spin the Z Star X more than the pro v1x

[quote name='Eternal_Envoy' date='11 July 2010 - 11:53 AM' timestamp='1278867231' post='2568621']
That's really weird. I spin the freaking thing too much... yet everyone else seems to spin it just enough
[/quote]

Maybe you should grab another sleeve. Could be that Srixon labeled them wrong and you got Z-Star balls with the X labeling? I am grasping at straws here. It just one hop and stops for me. I usually back up a ProV1X a few feet.

[quote name='TCMP' date='11 July 2010 - 06:43 PM' timestamp='1278888190' post='2569121']
[quote name='Eternal_Envoy' date='11 July 2010 - 11:53 AM' timestamp='1278867231' post='2568621']
That's really weird. I spin the freaking thing too much... yet everyone else seems to spin it just enough
[/quote]

Maybe you should grab another sleeve. Could be that Srixon labeled them wrong and you got Z-Star balls with the X labeling? I am grasping at straws here. It just one hop and stops for me. I usually back up a ProV1X a few feet.
[/quote]

I spin the Z-star X less then the V1x, but plenty enough for my liking.

[quote name='TCMP' date='11 July 2010 - 06:43 PM' timestamp='1278888190' post='2569121']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hm. I don't think that's it. I tried a full dozen, and they all do it. It could be mental with me. In my head, maybe I'm think the Srixon spins more, so I'm doing something to make it spin more. I played today with that in mind, and it did spin a bit less. Still too much off the driver, but it wasn't ballooning with the irons now.

[quote name='Eternal_Envoy' date='11 July 2010 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1278898900' post='2569478']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hm. I don't think that's it. I tried a full dozen, and they all do it. It could be mental with me. In my head, maybe I'm think the Srixon spins more, so I'm doing something to make it spin more. I played today with that in mind, and it did spin a bit less. Still too much off the driver, but it wasn't ballooning with the irons now.
[/quote]

I have a dozen and half yellow X's left.. Spin way too much on the driver. The ball is really nice with all my other clubs though. but the 20 yards lost in carry and roll out of the Tour i(z) is too much for me.

I actually like playing the HX Hot Plus better.

I will be donating these away to the wife.

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Speeder 553 Tour Spec
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 16.5* Aldila RIP Alpha
Titleist T200 4-7, T100s 8-PW KBS Tour
Scratch 8620 DD 47*, 53*, 60* Aerotech SF i110
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16