Longest off Tee - Driver SS 95-100

Flyers99

ZStar, RXS, RX, Penta TP3, Hex Chrome
I have narrowed down my search to these 5 balls for this year. I wanted your opinions as to ranking these 3 in terms of yards off the tee. I am not overly concerned about wedge spin and greenside spin but am just looking at off the tee.

I usually average about 240-250 off the tee and like the urethane balls for control but if I can get some yards off the tee that would be beneficial.

I have used the RX in the past and find that to be a decent overall ball.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From your list I've found TP3 and Chrome to be the longest off the tee without exception. I've tested it against everything you've mentioned except Z Star (I did test against ZStar XV and it was not as long as TP3 or Chrome).

FYI - Chrome feels softer to me with woods and irons. TP3 has more spin into the greens.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='Flyersby99' timestamp='1333661173' post='4659709']
I have narrowed down my search to these 5 balls for this year. I wanted your opinions as to ranking these 3 in terms of yards off the tee. I am not overly concerned about wedge spin and greenside spin but am just looking at off the tee.

I usually average about 240-250 off the tee and like the urethane balls for control but if I can get some yards off the tee that would be beneficial.

[/quote]
Didn't ya get the memo ? :fool:

Yer supposed to choose your ball from the green back to the tee, not the other way 'round.

Do you know something "they" don't know ?!?!?! :lol::lol::lol:

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1333685709' post='4662584']

I sense a little joking in your note but make me think about the whole green to tee approach. I think that is not the way to go even though the mighty Titleist and others seem to think it is. Myabe it is for some but not for me.

I notice some but not an overwhelming amount of difference in the short game spin performance of the balls. It is not like I can spin a Pro V1 back 10 feet and a Zstar rolls out 10 feet. Maybe it is my technique but the difference is minimal. I can get adequate spin for most urethane balls.

However, the tee ball I see noticeable difference in terms of accuracy and distance. I sense I am not the only one and I argued with an employee at Golf Galaxy on this topic. To me the green side and 100 yard differences in spin are minimal while driver distance and accuaracy are noticeable. So, why would I not pick a ball off the tee if I can get comparable short game results from most any other tour ball?

I would suggest for people to use their own results and their own brain and not fall into the marketing trap out there and do what is best for their game. Not everybody fits into the same box.

[/quote]

Yer supposed to choose your ball from the green back to the tee, not the other way 'round.

[/quote]

I sense a little joking in your note but make me think about the whole green to tee approach. I think that is not the way to go even though the mighty Titleist and others seem to think it is. Myabe it is for some but not for me.

I notice some but not an overwhelming amount of difference in the short game spin performance of the balls. It is not like I can spin a Pro V1 back 10 feet and a Zstar rolls out 10 feet. Maybe it is my technique but the difference is minimal. I can get adequate spin for most urethane balls.

However, the tee ball I see noticeable difference in terms of accuracy and distance. I sense I am not the only one and I argued with an employee at Golf Galaxy on this topic. To me the green side and 100 yard differences in spin are minimal while driver distance and accuaracy are noticeable. So, why would I not pick a ball off the tee if I can get comparable short game results from most any other tour ball?

I would suggest for people to use their own results and their own brain and not fall into the marketing trap out there and do what is best for their game. Not everybody fits into the same box.

[quote name='Flyersby99' timestamp='1333741662' post='4665900']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1333685709' post='4662584']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote name='Flyersby99' timestamp='1333741755' post='4665912']

[quote]Didn't ya get the memo ? :fool:

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yes, of course, a little bit of joking,,,,,,HOWEVER, I don't see how you (or anyone for that matter) can deny that more strokes are saved around the green than getting a few yards more distance or a few yards more control off the tee.

It's not (totally) a matter of which ball spins a little more or a little less around the green. Balls feel and react differently off the putter and off your chipping and pitching clubs and CONTROL and personal FEEL is of paramount importance around the green - FAR more important than a few yards forward or back, right or left, off the tee. :hi:

[/quote]

I don't have any ball recommendations but I must say it's refreshing to see someone who honestly posts some believable yardages that jive with their swing speed - thanks and by the way my speed and driver are the same as yours which is normal.

Handicap:  3

[quote name='Buzzkill' timestamp='1333849219' post='4674370']

[/quote]

I don't have any ball recommendations but I must say it's refreshing to see someone who honestly posts some believable yardages that jive with their swing speed - thanks and by the way my speed and driver are the same as yours which is normal.
[/quote]

I fit the same profile with a 98 driver SS and about 240-250 average drive. I have not played the 2012 330RX or RXS, but did like the previous version off the tee. The older RX did not spin as much. I usually play the ZSTAR - still have 5 doz from last year - because of the overall performance in all categories for me. I tried the Hex Chrome last week and liked it off the irons and around the green. I thought it was a bit longer than what I have seen on average both off the tee and irons. I want to try the TM TP3 next.

I agree you can save strokes around the green but most people say/think more spin around the green works best.

If you read my post, I stated that for me spin around the green was not an issue. My goal was a few more yards off the tee. I did not state I had control issues around the green. I can control a Vapor or NXT Tour around the greens to score well.

If I can have control around the greens equal....why would I not want more yards off the tee. So, HOW can you (or anyone for that matter) deny that is what I could benefit from.

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1333847990' post='4674246']
[quote name='Flyersby99' timestamp='1333741755' post='4665912']

[quote]Didn't ya get the memo ? :fool:

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yes, of course, a little bit of joking,,,,,,HOWEVER, I don't see how you (or anyone for that matter) can deny that more strokes are saved around the green than getting a few yards more distance or a few yards more control off the tee.

It's not (totally) a matter of which ball spins a little more or a little less around the green. Balls feel and react differently off the putter and off your chipping and pitching clubs and CONTROL and personal FEEL is of paramount importance around the green - FAR more important than a few yards forward or back, right or left, off the tee. :hi:
[/quote]

Im not one to comment on balls but i've tried all of them. usually use the Zstar. Bought sleeve of the TP3 last week. Only one round. the ball is durable and long. Tied my low round for the year 5 birdies at even par.

Again only one round. But i'll be teeing off with the same ball i used last week which balls usually never last more than one round.

[quote name='Flyersby99' timestamp='1333931445' post='4680988']
I agree you can save strokes around the green but most people say/think more spin around the green works best.

If you read my post, I stated that for me spin around the green was not an issue. My goal was a few more yards off the tee. I did not state I had control issues around the green. I can control a Vapor or NXT Tour around the greens to score well.

If I can have control around the greens equal....why would I not want more yards off the tee. So, HOW can you (or anyone for that matter) deny that is what I could benefit from.[/quote]

All things being equal around the green, fine, try to find more yards off the tee. More power to you.

The REASON most players talk about a LOT of spin around the green is that the more the ball spins the better the chance of getting it up and down when you shortside yourself and/or otherwise leave yourself with little green to work with. Spin equals "stop". If you need to stop it quickly your non-spinning balls give you NO CHANCE under most of those circumstances.

How about this ? Don't sacrifice ANY greenside advantage for a few yards off the tee.

That better ? :rolleyes:

TP3 or HX Chrome from your list.

I'm still partial to Bridgestone E5 and E6. E6 is longer. Doesn't spin as much, but I'm not zipline spin-back obsessed. E6 has great distance and can easily hop, stop, and check - just right for my game.

I don't worry about the green to tee thing because that's not how I play the game (tee shots do come first), and I don't lose strokes from 100 yards in or on the green. I can lose/pick up a stroke with distance and accuracy off the tees. 5-10 yards, especially carry, makes all the difference when fairway bunkers and obstacles are designed to fit right in where many golfers would land off the tee.

Good luck.

The last few days I have been training a lot of pitching and chipping and really been comparing the Hex Chrome with Tour IZ and Hex Black Tour. The four piece, and the five peace is really good performers, but I have been very very impressed with the Hex Chrome. Its so soft and really easy to control around the greens. I havent used it on the course yet, but I think it will be really good there as well. It feels like a Pro V1 from 07, thats the closest example I can give you at the moment. The Hex Black Tour really stops dead when you hit it a little harder, but I like to play softer shots around the greens.