Mizuno MP60

caveman

Aren't they small
I have just returned from the range and had a browse through the equipment. I am looking for a replacement for my Callaway X14's which I've had 4 years. I feel my game has improved somewhat since I bought these and now play off 10.
I have convinced myself that forged was the way to go and the MP60's with their terrific write ups would be the ones. But although I never had the time to demo them, I must say they looked frightening. What I mean to say is, they look so small. Dare I say it on this forum, they could be shank machines in the wrong hands. Are all forged clubs so small compared to improvement clubs. I feel you would really have to be on your game to hit the long irons. I have to be honest that my 10 handicap (and I'm still a bandit off that) is achieved with a lot of scrambling around the greens and very good putting.
I think I will have to be honest with myself and look for another replacement. Ping i5's or what?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I was in a similar situation that you are in. i was playing oversize TM's and decided I was going to commit more time to my game. I bought the M60's over the TM OS2.

I have only been to the range once with the M60's since I have bought them. However, I hit a lot of good quality shots, I am very optimistic that I will feel comfortable with these clubs with one or two more range sessions and ready for the course.

The heads are smaller...but I hit some 3 and 4 irons on the screws that had a low boring flight that really excited me. The oversize TM's I was playing would go straight...straight up in the air.

I would recommend hitting the M60's. I was surprised how quickly they felt good in my hands.

-Steve

Another thing I forgot to mention is with the smaller head it will make you concentrate more on making a good swing.  This will make you a better ball striker as long as you practice.

-Steve

61602[/snapback]

well you should not concentrate on hitting the ball while making your swing, you need to concentrate on a good swing, and hitting the ball will just come with it. But thats a whole differnt topic.

Another thing I forgot to mention is with the smaller head it will make you concentrate more on making a good swing.  This will make you a better ball striker as long as you practice.

-Steve

61602[/snapback]

well you should not concentrate on hitting the ball while making your swing, you need to concentrate on a good swing, and hitting the ball will just come with it. But thats a whole differnt topic.

61698[/snapback]

Isn't that exactly what I said? I said concentrate on making a good swing.

compared to x-14s they may be small, but I don't think they are small in the grand scheme of things. I think you should hit them before you decide they are not for you. As a 10, I think you could handle them most likely.

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*
3 Wood: Titleist 915f 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19*
Irons: Titleist 716 CB 4-7; 716 MB 8-P
Wedges: Vokey sm6 52, 56, 60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Style

Steve FLA is exactly right. I think the MP 60's will make you a better ball striker in the end. Up until this year I played the MP 37's and I have always averaged 14.5 or so GIR's but I built a new house and did not play at all from Oct. 04 to June 05 and I thought I needed something more forgiving so I purchased the Callaway X-Tours. To say the least my GIR's went down and my scores went up. A couple of weeks ago I purchased the Mizuno MP 32's and my iron play has improved 100%. I am hitting the ball more consistent, better distance control, and a lot closer to the pin.

Taylormade M1 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Callaway Apex Hybrids 20* & 23*
Callaway Apex Pro 16 5-PW Project X
Callaway MD3 54* & 58*
Odyssey Versa 1

-Steve

61602[/snapback]

61698[/snapback]

Isn't that exactly what I said? I said concentrate on making a good swing.

61764[/snapback]

sorry, i must have read wrong or been really tired. You are right.

-Steve

61602[/snapback]

I see this written (or some variation of it) all the time and I just want to state that I fully disagree.

Buying a less forgiving club does not make you a better ball striker. Correct and dedicated practice makes you a better ball striker. If you can't "feel" the impact location on the face, there are many methods to help you see it and learn to improve it. IMO "making you better" is not a valid reason to purchase less forgiving clubs. They won't make you better. If you are comfortable will your swing and desire to start moving the ball more or controlling the trajectory more (and all players, even good ones, desire a different degree of control) THEN it's time to demo some of the more workable irons. But again, even when you demo those you should be looking for the most forgiving version that affords the level of control you are looking for.

Again, IMO buying less forgiving clubs will NOT teach you anything that you couldn't learn more pleasantly with game improvements and dedication.

Hey guys! This will be my first post. I switched a few months ago from oversized Adams CB's to MP 32's. It was a major change, but I felt I was ready for it. After one day on the range, I was actually hitting them better than my old irons. Once you get adjusted, I believe you will hit better shots than with your CB's. They really put an emphasis on better quality shots, and that, in turn, makes you play better. I hope this helps, and good luck in your club buying ventures.

My accuracy improved almost immediately going from G2s to Mizunos. I find the smaller clubhead and reduced offset easier to align to the target line. Nothing magical about it and probably a short coming on my part. I have hardly noticed a reduction in forgiveness although my mishits with the G2s went further (which was not neccessarily a good thing)