College basketball

deadsolid...shank

[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1384464064' post='8149504']
so if you have the ball at the top of the key, with the defense being unable to hold their ground, couldn't the offensive player just back there way down under the basket every time. at some point you have to allow the defense to actually play defense.

if cbb wants to better the game with more offense how about a shot clock under 30 secs. 35 seconds is stupid in todays game. nba is 24, i think 30 max in the cbb would be of benefit, ideally 28 secs.
[/quote]

Then why were teams able to score 100 points a game with fairly relative ease back in the days of the 45 second shot clock? A shorter shot clock just makes it more about quickly finding a guy and putting up a shot, and not about running an offense. A shorter shot clock would not be a better thing IMHO, and using the NBA as the barometer is a mistake as well. While I'm all for players being able to get paid if people are willing to pay money to watch money them, the NBA is as much about people going "ooh" and "aaah" at things the stars do as it is about basketball.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1384772807' post='8165710']
so if you have the ball at the top of the key, with the defense being unable to hold their ground, couldn't the offensive player just back there way down under the basket every time. at some point you have to allow the defense to actually play defense.

if cbb wants to better the game with more offense how about a shot clock under 30 secs. 35 seconds is stupid in todays game. nba is 24, i think 30 max in the cbb would be of benefit, ideally 28 secs.
[/quote]

Then why were teams able to score 100 points a game with fairly relative ease back in the days of the 45 second shot clock? A shorter shot clock just makes it more about quickly finding a guy and putting up a shot, and not about running an offense. A shorter shot clock would not be a better thing IMHO, and using the NBA as the barometer is a mistake as well. While I'm all for players being able to get paid if people are willing to pay money to watch money them, the NBA is as much about people going "ooh" and "aaah" at things the stars do as it is about basketball.
[/quote]

Because better players were staying longer and the game was about 100% less physical then than it has been this decade.

OH NO! Not a guy that thinks college basketball is a better product than the NBA!?!!!?

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1384790122' post='8166634']
[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1384772807' post='8165710']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Because better players were staying longer and the game was about 100% less physical then than it has been this decade.

OH NO! Not a guy that thinks college basketball is a better product than the NBA!?!!!?
[/quote]

In a lot of ways it is. Obviously the NBA players have far more talent. Very few college games have more than one guy who will see more than a cup of coffee in the NBA. But the fact guys can do so many things does not make a product better by default. Oklahoma City has been a fun team to watch the last few years, and the Clippers are getting there, but overall, I'm still not terribly drawn to NBA games. It's very stage-managed IMHO, to make sure the last two minutes are what matters. And while I like to say the refs favor Duke, it's a ref thing, unlike the NBA where you needed to draw 12 fouls on Michael Jordan to foul him out, because they would change fouls away from him later. I find college basketball a more compelling, more interesting product. Outside of "could a college team beat an NBA team in a game", "better is subjective.

And thanks for supporting my point that the shot clock had nothing to do with scoring, excitement or otherwise.

I would really like to see basketball go to something like MLB for dealing with high school kids. To me its a farce that these kids come into college for one year. We're supposed to believe that Randall, Wiggins, and Parker, etc are really working the academic side of things for this freshman year of college?

Eithe let them go directly to the NBA like they used to, or make them stay at least two years in school. I'm getting too old to have to learn who this years good, new players are every year now!

HUGE Duke fan here as well. This years class looks so good that I hate to look at next year already but next years class is really shaping up! Grayson Allen, Jahlil Okafur and Tyus Jones will be exciting to watch! Jabari has been exactly as advertised and Hood will be a key to our success this year. How about Andre Dawkins back? I love seeing him back on the court after all those off the court issues. Remember he was a top 10 recruit coming out of high school.

Also, deadsolid, I dont know about Randall and Wiggins but Parker was a national honor society member with a 3.7 GPA in high school so I think he takes his academics seriously. That being said he probably wont stay all 4 years (or even another year for that matter) but Im sure he will get his degree while in the NBA.

Ping K15 driver
Ping G10 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Ping G15 irons
Cameron Newport, Ping Anser 3
Titleist Vokey 50* 54* wedges

[quote name='flipmode' timestamp='1385048881' post='8183410']
HUGE Duke fan here as well. This years class looks so good that I hate to look at next year already but next years class is really shaping up! Grayson Allen, Jahlil Okafur and Tyus Jones will be exciting to watch! Jabari has been exactly as advertised and Hood will be a key to our success this year. How about Andre Dawkins back? I love seeing him back on the court after all those off the court issues. Remember he was a top 10 recruit coming out of high school.

Also, deadsolid, I dont know about Randall and Wiggins but Parker was a [b]national honor society member with a 3.7 GPA [/b]in high school so I think he takes his academics seriously. That being said he probably wont stay all 4 years (or even another year for that matter) but Im sure he will get his degree while in the NBA.
[/quote]

Thats always nice to hear. Would love to see someone like that stay in school, but you certainly can't fault them for going if that NBA money is waiting.

Also, deadsolid, I dont know about Randall and Wiggins but Parker was a national honor society member with a 3.7 GPA in high school so I think he takes his academics seriously. That being said he probably wont stay all 4 years (or even another year for that matter) but Im sure he will get his degree while in the NBA.
[/quote]

Academics seriously? This is the NCAA we are talking about here. We ain't got time for dat!

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1385049646' post='8183490']

Also, deadsolid, I dont know about Randall and Wiggins but Parker was a [b]national honor society member with a 3.7 GPA [/b]in high school so I think he takes his academics seriously. That being said he probably wont stay all 4 years (or even another year for that matter) but Im sure he will get his degree while in the NBA.
[/quote]

Thats always nice to hear. Would love to see someone like that stay in school, but you certainly can't fault them for going if that NBA money is waiting.
[/quote]

Can't fault him at all if he bounces ASAP. Leaving sooner rather than later in many cases is the most financially and business sound decision one can make. The earning span for a professional athlete is very small. Losing a year of a career is huge. It would only make sense to stay in school if you A) could justify missing one year of salary because your position in the draft would increase enough to compensate that loss or B) you truly love your college experience at the expense of money.

I know for certain, I would leave school as soon as possible to begin earning. You can always go back and get your college degree. On the other hand, you can't go back and get the $1m - $5m you would have earned for the year you skipped (assuming a first round pick).

With that said, it's always nice to hear a student athlete is just that. Not just a athlete.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I was just reading a short article about last nights UMass vs Nebraska mens basketball game.

UMass was in the bonus at with 15 mins left in the second half. 60+ fouls called and I think it said in excess of 80 free throws.

I'm all for cleaning up the game but those numbers are not good.

Is it just me, or is VCU overrated? I'm starting ot think there is more than a little media infatuation with their coach("cool" first name in their eyes?). I mean they play pressure defense. Ok, so if you can't handle, maybe there's trouble. But like every other pressure team, they need to hit shots. And if you can handle, like Michigan did, they get blown out of the gym. And now FSU with their trees manhandles them. And it seems the game is moving back towards up tempo, which means most teams will be able to handle the pace their pressure creates....

[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1385136778' post='8190086']
Is it just me, or is VCU overrated? I'm starting ot think there is more than a little media infatuation with their coach("cool" first name in their eyes?). I mean they play pressure defense. Ok, so if you can't handle, maybe there's trouble. But like every other pressure team, they need to hit shots. And if you can handle, like Michigan did, they get blown out of the gym. And now FSU with their trees manhandles them. And it seems the game is moving back towards up tempo, which means most teams will be able to handle the pace their pressure creates....
[/quote]

I think rankings in Basketball, especially early on, are worthless. Its why you see a lot of top 15 teams lose in the first few weeks of the season. So much emphasis is placed on freshman and how the returning guys played in the tournament the season before. It's like they take your freshmen class and then a 3 game sample from the guys returning and say the team will be great the next year. It's why you see a guy like Mitch McGary considered one of the top 5 guys in college basketball. IMO he isn't near that. He's not a guy you're basing your entire team and their tournament hopes around. As evidenced by their loss to Iowa State. Ohio State has the same problem. Q Ross has a monster tournament. Suddenly he propelled himself to potential first round draft pick level and a candidate for BIG player of the year. Now that we are 3 or 4 games into the season, he is virtually nonexistent and has looked completely ineffective. Everyone was calling for him to be a 17+ point per game guy and he currently sits 6th on the team in scoring.

Rankings in basketball seem to be pretty inaccurate until conference play begins and the truly good teams get flushed out. Even with that, there is a ton of parity because you only 5 or 6 solid guys to compete.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1385132787' post='8189750']
I was just reading a short article about last nights UMass vs Nebraska mens basketball game.

UMass was in the bonus at with 15 mins left in the second half. 60+ fouls called and I think it said in excess of 80 free throws.

[/quote]

Yes this is going to be pretty common for most of the year until teams adjust. That Ohio State v. Ohio game was basically the same. I think there were 55 personal fouls and 72 FTs. The flow this year is going to suffer, but, it should be better for the game in the future.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1385140690' post='8190468']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1385132787' post='8189750']

[/quote]

Yes this is going to be pretty common for most of the year until teams adjust. That Ohio State v. Ohio game was basically the same. I think there were 55 personal fouls and 72 FTs. The flow this year is going to suffer, but, it should be better for the game in the future.
[/quote]

I think it will too, but are fans going to turn away from the game this year?

The idea (from what I've been told) behind much of this is to bring scoring, and more "pure" basketball back into the game. Unfortunately, it seems that the bulk of the scoring is going to coming from the free throw line. Teams are starting to just go hard to the basket now, knowing they are going to get the foul call almost every time.

I talked to the coach of the womens team at our local college yesterday. That is exactly what the team they played in their last game did. They couldn't shoot the ball well, but basically just put their heads down and barrelled towards the basket.

I think it's going to be a long season. And every golf tournament CBS broadcasts this year is going to be late getting started.

I'm not a huge fan of the rule changes so far. I'm not sure why we need more scoring? If you can't absorb a bit of contact going to the hoop, that's just something you work on in practice.

That's how I feel, anyways. I'm not against fouls, don't get me wrong. I just think they've gone overboard.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1385136778' post='8190086']
[/quote]

After the second VCU and Michigan loss they are officially overrated haha.