Taylormade TP, Titleist Prov1, Nike RZN, Bridgeston B330 Comparison??

ewill

Currently grinding between these three models of golf balls to find which is best, I do not see a clear winner in any of them yet. I have been using the Nike RZN black and the Bridgestone b330s as well as the b330 black. Recently out of interest, I grabbed a pair of Taylormade tour preferred.

Nike RZN Black: ball cuts through wind. Can be worked with no problem and have no problem spinning it to check up with the wedges on full shots

Bridgestone B330s: ball cuts through wind. Easily workable from left to right, easily able to spin both of full and incremental chips and pitch shots.

Taylormade TP: the tour preferred ball. cuts through the wind doesn’t balloon but may not carry as far in it as the others above, easy to work directionally, great with full or partial shots in regard to spin.

The Taylormade is comparable to the Titleist ProV1 I would say. Although it is comparable, I do believe that it is a better ball. It feels softer than the prov1 and seems to hold its line better in wind over the prov1. With the Taylormade TP, I am able to spin this ball 6-10 feet on these California greens with no problem as I can with virtually any premium ball these days. The Nike RZN black does not spin as much as the others in this semi-review on short chips ... the Bridgestone b330s are comparable in spin as well as the Platinum RZN. In regard to distance it may just be me but it seems like the Taylormade carries a bit shorter but runs longer, whereas the Bridgestone carries further short run out... of course the Nike RZN black carries much further than both it’s a distance ball not a spin ball. Therefore, it is not apples to apples.

What are your experiences with any of the above listed balls? Even bring in conversation about most beloved Titleist ball that is standing on historic background... I am not finding that the Titleist is the superior ball anymore I have played Titleist mostly but jumped to the Bridgestone’s which are awesome but after using the new Nike RZN and the Taylormade the covers of these two balls are softer than the Bridgestone for sure… I have to figure this out, i only need one brand golf ball in my life lol!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks your the review!

I agree that the ProV1 is far from superior. It is still a good ball but considering its price I rather play B330s. Have not tried Nike or TM though...

How much is the TP and rzn ball compared to B330s?

SLDR 10,5 ALDILA RIP Phenom Nasty Long
Taylormade R11 Tour Issue 3-wood project X 7a3
Bridgestone J15 MB 4-PW X100
Bridgestone J15 52, 56, 60 wedges X100
Ping Pick em up L
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158523-steff-p-witb-20-2015/page__p__11269627__hl__+steff_p#entry11269627"]WITB Link[/url]

I played ProV1s competitively in high school (2001-2005) and ProV1s were pretty much the only option for a "premium" ball at that time.

It has been only in the past two or so years that I've tried anything else. I liked playing it, but they got way too expensive and that high spinning shot would sometimes creep in and rob you of all distance.

This past year, I've played the Callaway Chrome with success. I found a TM Tour Preferred on the course and played it for a few holes. Flew far and I really liked the trajectory. Nice and soft too!

I have a few dozen Lethals coming to me today, so I'll be playing those until they run out.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[quote name='CactusGolf' timestamp='1408366965' post='9956077']
I played ProV1s competitively in high school (2001-2005) and ProV1s were pretty much the only option for a "premium" ball at that time.

It has been only in the past two or so years that I've tried anything else. I liked playing it, but they got way too expensive and that high spinning shot would sometimes creep in and rob you of all distance.

This past year, I've played the Callaway Chrome with success. I found a TM Tour Preferred on the course and played it for a few holes. Flew far and I really liked the trajectory. Nice and soft too!

I have a few dozen Lethals coming to me today, so I'll be playing those until they run out.
[/quote]

I definitely believe the TM tour preferred is a solid ball as well as the rzn and b330 line. The b,330 line doesn't "feel" soft in the hands and its rather clicky. The Rzn and tp are very soft feeling ... I'm not sure which way to go here lol. I do like playing the to quite a bit.. Might stick with them ... Here in Cali the season never really ends and we don't have too many super firm greens it may work out well.

[quote name='ewill' timestamp='1408456865' post='9964411']

[/quote]

I definitely believe the TM tour preferred is a solid ball as well as the rzn and b330 line. The b,330 line doesn't "feel" soft in the hands and its rather clicky. The Rzn and tp are very soft feeling ... I'm not sure which way to go here lol. I do like playing the to quite a bit.. Might stick with them ... Here in Cali the season never really ends and we don't have too many super firm greens it may work out well.
[/quote]I agree. I played the B330s for a while, but I think the TP is the better ball between the two. Definitely works out better for me.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[/quote]
If you like the chrome you will like the chre plus even more. It is lower driver spin/higher approach and greenside spin. If you have 100 or higher swing speed, the chrome plus is your ball.

I'm having a tough time deciding between RZN Platinum & Black... The black is ridiculously long on full shots and punch shots but the platinum has a softer feel and more spin on short chips... I'm pretty high spin player and I am really not sure which to choose. Does anyone have any insight that would push me either way?

[quote name='Blades4Life' timestamp='1408511405' post='9970797']
I'm having a tough time deciding between RZN Platinum & Black... The black is ridiculously long on full shots and punch shots but the platinum has a softer feel and more spin on short chips... I'm pretty high spin player and I am really not sure which to choose. Does anyone have any insight that would push me either way?
[/quote]
I would go with whatever is straighter off of the driver. If both straight off diver my next criteria would be how well a ball handles wind.

I am currently using the TP and have tried a dozen of the Tour B330. Haven't tried Nike RZN.

I settled for the TP because it seems to hold its line in the wind the best, and the feel off the putter is amazing. I think that's where TM made its biggest improvement. IMO, the TP is a ball that takes the positives of the ProV1 and ProV1x into one. Similar characteristics of the ProV1x for ball striking, and the feel of ProV1 around the greens.

I did like the B330, but it didn't impress me. It is a good ball, it's just not for me. First, I noticed that the B330 doesn't roll as much compared to the other balls. It could be a good thing on fast greens, but mentally I just didn't like the idea of reminding myself to give it a bit more everytime I putt the ball. The only negative thing about the B330 for me was it had too much side spin. It had a tendency to increase the curvature of my shots more than any other ball I've used. Not to the point where a fade turns into a slice or anything like that, but it definitely exaggerated the curve a bit more. If you're a player who likes to curve shots left and right, then I can see the B330 being a ball that would suit you.

Titleist TSi3, Diamana X Series 60x

Titleist TSi3 FW, Tensei Orange 70x

Titleist 690 MB, 3- Pw, DG x100

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

Over the past year, I've played the RZN Plat, the Callaway Chrome Plus, the Pro V1x, and the TM TPx. All are good balls. The RZN has been in play most of the time. Its been a solid all around performer.

The Chrome Plus was in play a lot late last year, but I moved away from it. I liked it off the driver and from inside 100 yds performance wise, but (and I'm being especially picky here) I can't stand looking at it. I think it must be the curved logo and the hex dimples. Just look funny to me.

I haven't been a big Titleist player since college, but I have tried the ProV1 and the X here and there. The reg ProV has always been great around the greens for me, but can get a little haywire off the tee. The X is great off the tee for accuracy, but I could use a little higher launch. When I so play Titleist the X has been used more often than not. It still spins pretty good from inside 100, so I can get away with it.

Lately I've been trying the TM TPx ball. For me, it's the in between ball I would need from Titleist. Very good off the tee and actually launches pretty high. Still spins good from Inside 100. Soft feel around the greens.

I think it's down to the RZN Plat and the TPx for me. Both are extremely solid golf balls. The TPx gets the nod so far off the tee. I am more consistent around the greens with the Platinum. Hard to choose right now.

The b330s is next in line to get tested.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[quote name='kobes31' timestamp='1408752911' post='9990535']
Shakes I really look around for some of your posts on such topics as I seem to have very similar preferences. You added a little paragraph about each of the balls you listed except the rzn plat. I'd be interested to know your thoughts overall and esp how it compares to the chrome plus.
[/quote]
The Platinum has been my number 1 ball since my rep gave me some proto sleeves. Like many have said, this is (along with the Blk) the best feeling of the RZN line yet. Virtually no click like the previous 20xi line. The ball is great in the wind and I find it to be very predictable spin-wise around the greens/100 yds iron. Distance is pretty solid off the tee and on irons, and is easy to control trajectory with the irons (at least in keeping it down...I can flight it as low as I want...I never come off the course saying a shot went to high though). The only real negative I can say is that I wish it would launch a little higher off the driver (I'm a low ball hitter even with driver set at 11.5).

Compared to the Chrome +
Both are really good on short chips around the greens. I think the Nike is a little easier to control on the 20-30 yd pitches. Sometimes the chrome would spin great and other times it wouldn't. I feel like I putted better with the Platinum (have no idea why this was...speed control maybe...just never felt like I made putts with the Chrome). Chrome launched a little higher off the tee which was nice.

[quote name='kobes31' timestamp='1408842636' post='9995559']
How do they compare in distance and accuracy, if you will, off the tee? Spin comparison - even if it's not quantified?
[/quote]
I would say that the Chrome + was a few yards longer off the tee on well struck shots. Since it launched higher, I felt like it carried farther. But I'm talking less than ten yards. I play most of my rounds at the same course, so I am very familiar with where my shots are played round to round.

I think the Platinum is more accurate. It seems to hold its line better, especially when playing in the wind. I've had a few times where the Chrome got away from me even when I felt like the swing was really good.