2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Be gentle, Give me you thoughts on my swing.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too much wrist set, lateral movement in the back swing and downward head movement to start downswing.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

[media=]

[/media]

one of the greatest fixes that I used.

Fast forward to 1:55 "Chin sitting on a fence" Your body doesnt move below the fence.

1) Help me from drooping

2) Help shortened my back swing

3) Help my minimize lateral movement

4) Help with a consistent bottoming of my swing.

Good luck OP!

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[media=]

[/media]

one of the greatest fixes that I used.

Fast forward to 1:55 "Chin sitting on a fence" Your body doesnt move below the fence.

1) Help me from drooping

2) Help shortened my back swing

3) Help my minimize lateral movement

4) Help with a consistent bottoming of my swing.

Good luck OP!

Just tried it in my net and the results were immediate. However, it felt like I was making zero weight shift. I guess that's just me not making my usual sway. Any advice on how to quite down the wrists?

I think your swing looks decent...nice tempo.

Your right hand grip looks very weak, pointing at your left shoulder.

Also, those shoes are going to give you balance problems. Your feet slide all over in them.

When Ive struggled with fat shots a trick I tried was not grounding the club.. Hovering just a slight bit, so I bottomed out ahead of the ball, not behind.

That's a pretty athletic move.

But you need to tidy it up.

Your club face is extremely open at the top. I can see that because the clubface is pointing towards the ground. A neutral position up there is a clubface that ponts a little more up than your lead arm.

And the relationship between your lead arm and the club collapses before impact. That is likely to be a compensation to square the club in spite of the very weak grip. The timing of that collapse must have something to do with your consistency issue.

A stronger grip (the v's between tumb and palm pointing towards right shoulder at address).

Then see if you can adjust the rhythm of your swing so that the lead arm stays extended until past impact. And perhaps aim for both arms straightish around where the club is parallel to the ground and pointing towards the target.

And also: Extend your hands away from the target at the top. No need to get super narrow during transition.

Summary: Stronger grip, extend back, extend through.

I think your swing looks decent...nice tempo.

Your right hand grip looks very weak, pointing at your left shoulder.

Also, those shoes are going to give you balance problems. Your feet slide all over in them.

When Ive struggled with fat shots a trick I tried was not grounding the club.. Hovering just a slight bit, so I bottomed out ahead of the ball, not behind.

I've played around with a stonger grip but snap hooks started showing up. When my swing is on I hit a very nice little draw and my main miss is a block. And i've got real golf shoes just too lazy to put them on haha.

That sway and drop of the head is your biggest issue. I wouldn't be surprised if the length of your back swing changes automatically once you address that.

Makes sense to me why you'd struggle with fat shots. You need to either bring your head back to its original position by impact or really delay your release to not bottom out the club before the ball. Requires a lot of hand eye coordination.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

That sway and drop of the head is your biggest issue. I wouldn't be surprised if the length of your back swing changes automatically once you address that.

Makes sense to me why you'd struggle with fat shots. You need to either bring your head back to its original position by impact or really delay your release to not bottom out the club before the ball. Requires a lot of hand eye coordination.

Bingo..... my thoughts hence the video I posted.....

the feeling of "Zero" weight shift is just a compensation as you are are so used to doing so much more additional movement, In reality you are probably still shifting weight but in much better control.

As for wrist action, try to do a 9-3 drill and hinge and hold your wrist, almost like a putting stroke where once its set you dont move it any more and again not a full swing just 9-3. This is just a training drill to get you out of your old way, not meant to be used as an actual swing.

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Ok I just hit some 9 irons with these thoughts, DON'T SWAY, shorten backswing , extend post impact, Slightly stronger grip. The first shot was fat but the rest felt really good. My backswing felt super short but i'm still overswinging as you can see.

Look at the truck behind you and your head level, how much it still drops, this is where a lot of motion comes from, that 3rd swing around 49 seconds, your head did not drop nearly as much and look at your contact.

Its getting there no less! Keep it up!!!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Ok I just hit some 9 irons with these thoughts, DON'T SWAY, shorten backswing , extend post impact, Slightly stronger grip. The first shot was fat but the rest felt really good. My backswing felt super short but i'm still overswinging as you can see.

I wouldn't change your grip, not right now anyways, maybe never.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I wouldn't change your grip, not right now anyways, maybe never.

Have you seen where his club face is pointing at the top of his swing??? It's excessive.

Quick question, Would the thought of hitting the ball with the back of my left hand help me square the club and have more extension at impact?

It could, but feels works differently for different people, sometimes also on different days.

But it will not lead to fundamental changes.

There's a train of things going on in your down swing. You pull in your lead arm, you flip, and the arms outrace the shoulder turn. I think the root cause is the weak grip, but of course everything you do has been ingrained to fit with everything else you do. I have never seen a video of a good player who hits draws with a club face that is excessively open at the top as it is in your case. I think, if you hit the perfect down swing, the club face would be pointing 30* right at impact if not more.

I recommend that you take a video lesson with Iteach. He seems to have a good eye for how the grip influences the end result. If I am right and you need a stronger grip, he will say so. He will also tell you what else you need to do to get it working.

Great hands. Super soft and great flow. Love your action.

As has been touched on, the sway is probably the biggest issue leading to consistency issues. I have a similarly long, smooth action and also had a sway off the ball. Just realized it and changed it this year and its made a huge difference. Like you mentioned, it felt like there was very little weight shift at first but I also noticed a huge improvement in balance.

Take a look at Luke Donald face-on swing vids and watch his hips. they stay very solid and just rotate, next to no sway.

Taylormade M1 430 w/ Matrix Speed Rulz C-Type X
Taylormade V Steel 15* w/ FujiSpeeder
Titleist 712U 18* w/ S300
Titleist 680 w/ S300 AMT
Titleist Vokey 54/60 SM

Scotty Cameron Newport tel3
Scotty Cameron Santa Fe tel3
Scotty Cameron Laguna 2.5 Pro Platinum

I beat balls all day today and the new grip is working great. The face feels very shut but if I trust that it's square and just swing the ball goes straight. I don't have to try and steer the ball as much as I used to. I've also picked up a little power. The trees in the distance are 140 yards away and i'm flying the ball there with my 9 iron with ease. I'm still dipping my head a little but the sway is much better. It just feels really really awkward not swaying.

I beat balls all day today and the new grip is working great. The face feels very shut but if I trust that it's square and just swing the ball goes straight. I don't have to try and steer the ball as much as I used to. I've also picked up a little power. The trees in the distance are 140 yards away and i'm flying the ball there with my 9 iron with ease. I'm still dipping my head a little but the sway is much better. It just feels really really awkward not swaying.

its very awkward as that is what you are used too, just going to take some time..... couple of additional thoughts

1) the left hand at impact, Ive actually tried this, the fitter I went to (also a lesson at the same time) advised me against it, While its good to get the feeling of delofting and leading the left hand, for me it created a steep shaft and to much additional lag. While I was getting some great distance, this made my inconsistencies worse due to AoA fluctuations, Spin and Launch fluctuations, there was absolutely no consistency in my flight.

2) *Disclaimer* sorry this may throw things off, but thought I would share -Release and accepting what type of natural release. you have, While this might be a shameless plug, it is what it is, I have a square release similar to Jordan Spieth. While the rolling release has greater power/distance it requires you to have better timing, my timing SUCKS....[media=]

[/media] With that, I have been doing the rolling release as that was what was taught to me....but really I am a square path release type of golfer..... HUGE difference for me.

3) lastly your grip should sorta be dictated by your ball flight and comfort. Are you hitting the ball straight prior to the stronger grip. no use in changing the grip then.... Again... biggest issues is the head droop and the swaying.....[media=]

[/media], Adam Scott swing works for me....and me alone...so its dependent on every golfer...but the simple fundamental of keep things still. personally is essential....watch his head....it really does not move at all!!!!!!

good luck OP!!!!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

its very awkward as that is what you are used too, just going to take some time..... couple of additional thoughts

1) the left hand at impact, Ive actually tried this, the fitter I went to (also a lesson at the same time) advised me against it, While its good to get the feeling of delofting and leading the left hand, for me it created a steep shaft and to much additional lag. While I was getting some great distance, this made my inconsistencies worse due to AoA fluctuations, Spin and Launch fluctuations, there was absolutely no consistency in my flight.

2) *Disclaimer* sorry this may throw things off, but thought I would share -Release and accepting what type of natural release. you have, While this might be a shameless plug, it is what it is, I have a square release similar to Jordan Spieth. While the rolling release has greater power/distance it requires you to have better timing, my timing SUCKS....[media=]

[/media] With that, I have been doing the rolling release as that was what was taught to me....but really I am a square path release type of golfer..... HUGE difference for me.

3) lastly your grip should sorta be dictated by your ball flight and comfort. Are you hitting the ball straight prior to the stronger grip. no use in changing the grip then.... Again... biggest issues is the head droop and the swaying.....[media=]

[/media], Adam Scott swing works for me....and me alone...so its dependent on every golfer...but the simple fundamental of keep things still. personally is essential....what his head....it really does not move at all!!!!!!

good luck OP!!!!

Thanks a lot man! I feel like i've made great strides already, hey, at least I know what I'm doing wrong now! Believe it or not but this is the first time i've ever seen my swing on video. Honestly I had no idea I swayed so much. I always knew my head dropped but I didn't think it was as bad as it is. My number 1 goal this year is to improve my ball striking. If it wasn't for my short game i'd be a total hack!

• 1 month later...

Two months later and slowly but surely making progress. I've pretty much quit trying to hit big draws and am trying to fade the ball more. Good news is I haven't hit a shot horrendously fat in quite a while. I'm working on a more low left type release but old habits die hard. Unfortunately I haven't had time to play or practice much since fishing season is taking up all my time. This was a 4 iron [media=]

[/media]

Your grip isn't strong. Right hand still looks weak but much better. Your sway is more a collapse to get extra rotation. If your body can't rotate it will make a compensation when the flexibility isn't there. Turn you're feet a little squarer at setup as opposed to having them quite so flared and only turn as far as you're able to without collapsing. From your original vid try keep a more neutral(flat) spine and bent from the hip, not the waist and it'll help allow you to turn. You're wrists are far too overactive and you're not extending through impact because you're so narrow with so much lag that if you did you'd just dig straight down. Try feel the club creates no more than 90* angle to your left arm throughout backswing and downswing. Feel like you're trying to keep the club head as far from your body as you can to create extra width and it should greatly help

Your grip isn't strong. Right hand still looks weak but much better. Your sway is more a collapse to get extra rotation. If your body can't rotate it will make a compensation when the flexibility isn't there. Turn you're feet a little squarer at setup as opposed to having them quite so flared and only turn as far as you're able to without collapsing. From your original vid try keep a more neutral(flat) spine and bent from the hip, not the waist and it'll help allow you to turn. You're wrists are far too overactive and you're not extending through impact because you're so narrow with so much lag that if you did you'd just dig straight down. Try feel the club creates no more than 90* angle to your left arm throughout backswing and downswing. Feel like you're trying to keep the club head as far from your body as you can to create extra width and it should greatly help

Thanks. I'm really working on keeping my width. About a year ago I went through a "lag" obsession phase and getting super narrow trying to create lag is something i'm still struggling with. Thank god for Monte's videos or I might still be on a lag quest.

Thanks. I'm really working on keeping my width. About a year ago I went through a "lag" obsession phase and getting super narrow trying to create lag is something i'm still struggling with. Thank god for Monte's videos or I might still be on a lag quest.

Definitely a big improvement. Really improving your grip is partly why you still haven't gained control of your wrists. You need to have it running in the fingers of both hands, with vs pointing to right shoulder. Need to grip it with "short" thumbs and NO gap between hand and thumb above the joint on both hands. Once you have your grip in the correct portion like that you'll find it much easier control the club and width