2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Just booked a Whistling Straits Trip

SilverBullets

Pretty excited my dad and I finally were able to make out schedules work and head out on a father/son golf trip. We are heading to Kohler, Wi over my birthday weekend at the end of June. We are playing Erin Hills on the drive up from Columbus, then Blackwolf Run - River on day 2 and ending day 3 with WS - Straits and WS - Irish. We are using one of the stay and play packages at the American Club so we could book the Straits course this far in advance (and it was actually a decent deal when all was said and done). Any tips/tricks or just general advice for a couple guys heading up there for the first time? My dad and I love good food so we will be looking for spots to grab food around the Erin Hills areas and obviously a nice birthday dinner up in Kohler. Any suggestions?

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1390837149' post='8542735']
Pretty excited my dad and I finally were able to make out schedules work and head out on a father/son golf trip. We are heading to Kohler, Wi over my birthday weekend at the end of June. We are playing Erin Hills on the drive up from Columbus, then Blackwolf Run - River on day 2 and ending day 3 with WS - Straits and WS - Irish. We are using one of the stay and play packages at the American Club so we could book the Straits course this far in advance (and it was actually a decent deal when all was said and done). Any tips/tricks or just general advice for a couple guys heading up there for the first time? My dad and I love good food so we will be looking for spots to grab food around the Erin Hills areas and obviously a nice birthday dinner up in Kohler. Any suggestions?
[/quote]

Hey congrats. I will be playing Erin Hills and Blackwolf Run at almost the same time as you. Playing Erin Hills on June 30th and BWR on or about 2nd or 3rd of July.

I went up last year and played Whistling Straits and had an absolute blast. Played by myself (but paired with 3 others) and even though we were all different handicap levels, we all really enjoyed it. My caddy was "Tom" and he did a fantastic job. Even though he was carrying my bag and someone elses, neither of us ever felt like he wasn't at our ball when we needed him. The other caddy in the group was named Phil and he did just as good of a job. These guys just about jogged the entire course with 2 bags. The caddies made the round for me...what a blast.

As far as food, I cant give you a ton of advice...but here are just a few notes on what I remember. We went to a little hole in the wall pizza place called Fay's Pizza near the northern edge of Sheboygan and had our best tasting food of the trip. We also went to Food to Fork and both of us (my wife and I) were disappointed. Just nothing special and for lunch, the prices were a bit high (they specialize in local foods from local farmers). We ate a nice italian meal down by the water front in Sheboygan that was a bit pricey ($50ish after tip), but was pretty good. It was called Lino Restaurante Italiano. One last note, even though we didn't eat there, Whistling Straits has a restaurant on site (as does Blackwolf Run). We may visit on of these two while visiting this time. At the American Club, they have several restaurants....I have not tried any of them, but heard good things about The Immigrant and The Horse and Plow.

Enjoy, I loved it.

Sounds like an awesome trip

Kohler has a real good seafood buffet dinner of Friday nights - I would also check out the Blind Horse restaurant in Kohler - I had a very good meal there.

By the Kohler Inn - there is a nice cigar bar for an after dinner drink and smoke - they usually have sports on the TV - very loungy and laid back

Have a great time

G400 Max Ad DI 7
M3 15 degree Tensei Blue
Srixon H45 19 hybrid Tour spec 8.8
Srixon Z 565/765 Nippon 125
Vokey Forged 50F, 54M, 60J Nippon 125
Scotty Cameron X7M

The guys above have pretty much nailed it. My personal favorite is the grill at Black Wolf Run. The whole back area of the clubhouse has a variety of places to eat from Bar style, to casual, to dressy, and even an area for banqets. From my expierence, the bars at both courses offer great food and fair prices. I guess it just depends on what you plan on eating and what your particular style, per say, is. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.2X

Fairway Wood: Titleist TSi3 15° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.2X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 20° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X

Irons: Titleist T150 4-PW | KBS Tour V 110s 

Wedge: Vokey SM9 Raw Finish 48.10F, 54.10S, & 60.10V | Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

Awesome! I appreciate the feedback everyone. I will definitely be hitting up that cigar shop.

Erin Hills is a walking only course as is the Straits. Depending on the tees, the EH walk will probably be in the range of 7-8 miles so be prepared for that. Also, take a caddie even if you are used to carrying. It's well worth it.

If you and your Dad are wine people, the Winery Bar has an awesome wine list. Also, if you're looking for an onsite dinner, The Immigrant is a bit pricey but awesome...can't go wrong.

The Holy Hill area has a restaurant called The Fox and Hounds. Simply outstanding. Here's the website. [url="http://www.foxandhoundsrestaurant.com/"]http://www.foxandhoundsrestaurant.com/[/url]

Now...and I know I'll get grief for this, if you have an hour free one afternoon, tour the Kohler Design Center. You will see more unique bathroom setups.

Let everyone know how your trip goes. Take a lot of pics and have fun!

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1390933800' post='8551649']
Erin Hills is a walking only course as is the Straits. Depending on the tees, the EH walk will probably be in the range of 7-8 miles so be prepared for that. Also, take a caddie even if you are used to carrying. It's well worth it.

If you and your Dad are wine people, the Winery Bar has an awesome wine list. Also, if you're looking for an onsite dinner, The Immigrant is a bit pricey but awesome...can't go wrong.

The Holy Hill area has a restaurant called The Fox and Hounds. Simply outstanding. Here's the website. [url="http://www.foxandhoundsrestaurant.com/"]http://www.foxandhoundsrestaurant.com/[/url]

Now...and I know I'll get grief for this, if you have an hour free one afternoon, tour the Kohler Design Center. You will see more unique bathroom setups.

Let everyone know how your trip goes. Take a lot of pics and have fun!
[/quote]

Yup we are taking caddies for Erin Hills and WS-Straits. I love playing with caddies and when playing really top tier courses it gives it that something extra to truly make it feel special. We would have taken caddies at WS-Straits regardless, but I was pretty happy to hear EH was walking only and caddies are strongly recommended. Now hopefully i can get a couple GIRs so my caddy can me my putter while walking down the fairway :happy:

But yeah I am glad we are playing EH first because I've heard its a long walk. Then we wanted to play WS Straits first that day so we were 'fresh' since we would be walking. My dad is 56 and is very active (avid race car driver and cyclist). He does have some foot/ankle problems but it doesn't slow him down on the course. He typically hoofs it at our home club which is extremely hilly.

[quote name='Thunder Dan' timestamp='1390935185' post='8551819']
Just curious what you spent for the Kohler package (i.e. excluding Erin Hills). I'm trying to put a group of 4-8 together to do the same trip and was just curious. Thanks Go Bucks
[/quote]

Yeah so they have a couple of packages. We picked the 2 nights and 3 rounds of golf option (the round were WS-Straits, BWR-River and then your choice of WS-Irish or BWR-Meadow). You can do 2 nights at the American Club or 2 nights at the inn at woodlake that they have. It's like $1375 for package (I believe that was after fee/tax) at the American club and $1175 at the inn at woodlake per person (2 to a room). That includes the caddy fee at Straits. It's not cheap, but, actually makes sense to do. I added up just the straight golf fees if we stayed off site and it was going to cost like $1000 a person solely for golf at those 3 courses. I think in the end the package saves you maybe a couple hundred bucks... but you can't book a time at Straits unless you have a reservation to stay on onsite. If you are staying offsite you can book 14 days in advance. Im sure there are cheaper ways to do the trip, but, we kind of wanted the full experience.

We did a similar-ish package last May.
Two nights, 3 rounds (including caddy/cart), free replays on Irish and Meadows. We actually ended up playing the Straits again on their replay rate instead of the free ones. The Straits is spectacular. Some people get down on it in comparison to Bandon, because it's not a true linksland, but eff me is it great :) I've said this in a few threads before, but just try and find a better group of par 3's.

You can argue whether their rack rates are 'true' rates or just jacked up to make their packages look good, but we were happy with what we paid for our package and would definitely recommend going that route to keep costs down. As you point out, it really is just like they throw in the two night's stay for free.

Kind of redundant to say obviously, but I think you might just enjoy yourself some ;)

Oh, we tried the deep-fried cheese curd things... we'll definitely pass on them next time.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1390939927' post='8552439']
We did a similar-ish package last May.
Two nights, 3 rounds (including caddy/cart), free replays on Irish and Meadows. We actually ended up playing the Straits again on their replay rate instead of the free ones. The Straits is spectacular. Some people get down on it in comparison to Bandon, because it's not a true linksland, but eff me is it great :) I've said this in a few threads before, but just try and find a better group of par 3's.

You can argue whether their rack rates are 'true' rates or just jacked up to make their packages look good, but we were happy with what we paid for our package and would definitely recommend going that route to keep costs down. As you point out, it really is just like they throw in the two night's stay for free.

Kind of redundant to say obviously, but I think you might just enjoy yourself some ;)

Oh, we tried the deep-fried cheese curd things... we'll definitely pass on them next time.
[/quote]

haha i've had deep-fried cheese curds somewhere (I can't remember for the life of me where but it recently) and I am not a big fan.

The Immigrant Room is one of the best fine dining dinners we have ever had. Brunch at the American Club was also outstanding (I forget the room where they held it).

I took the same caddie for the three courses you're playing in Kohler and always feel that caddies on courses like these are worth it. I personally feel that it adds a great deal to the overall experience. Pricey but worth it, imo.

Have a blast. I can't wait to get back. Kohler is the one golf destination, so far, that my wife is actually interested in returning to.

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1390940944' post='8552577']

Have a blast. I can't wait to get back. Kohler is the one golf destination, so far, that my wife is actually interested in returning to.
[/quote]

Yes, my wife basically booked this return trip herself. We went last year and we both loved it. Going back in June and playing Erin Hills and Blackwolf Run....staying 4 nights at the American Club.

Speaking of Whistling Straits and the other American Club Kohler courses, has anyone heard/seen anything yet about April Specials and spring rates similar to what they've offered the past few years? Nothing on the website/twitter/FB pages yet but if I recall from last year it wasn't until late Feb/early March that this was posted ([url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/810655-kohler-april-dealsstraights-blackwolf-irish-and-mv/page__p__6643251__hl__+kohler%20+april#entry6643251"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/810655-kohler-april-dealsstraights-blackwolf-irish-and-mv/page__p__6643251__hl__+kohler%20+april#entry6643251[/url]) and made available. Just curious if anyone has heard anything that I haven't as we have a group arranged to go up and brave the cold. Just want to be sure the rates don't slip by me.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1390936011' post='8551935']
Yup we are taking caddies for Erin Hills and WS-Straits. I love playing with caddies and when playing really top tier courses it gives it that something extra to truly make it feel special. We would have taken caddies at WS-Straits regardless, but I was pretty happy to hear EH was walking only and caddies are strongly recommended. Now hopefully i can get a couple GIRs so my caddy can me my putter while walking down the fairway :happy:

But yeah I am glad we are playing EH first because I've heard its a long walk. Then we wanted to play WS Straits first that day so we were 'fresh' since we would be walking. My dad is 56 and is very active (avid race car driver and cyclist). He does have some foot/ankle problems but it doesn't slow him down on the course. He typically hoofs it at our home club which is extremely hilly.
[/quote]

I'm always interested in people's take on using caddies at these higher end resorts. I played EH Fall 2012 (no caddie), WS - Straits Fall 2012 (caddie), WS - River Fall 2012 (caddie), All Bandon Courses Spring 2013 (AM caddies, carried in the PM). If money was no object, I would always use a caddie, but adding $100/loop can get pricey. I didn't think EH was a tough walk. There are a few hills, but I don't remember having any issues walking there, but the heat and humidity will be the difference. I think a caddie helps with the first few rounds at these courses, but once you have an idea of the course a caddie isn't necessary. At Bandon, I just needed a break from carrying my own bag!

I agree that the caddie makes these top tier places have a special feel.

[quote name='jchungum' timestamp='1392827636' post='8701975']
[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1390936011' post='8551935']

[/quote]

I'm always interested in people's take on using caddies at these higher end resorts. I played EH Fall 2012 (no caddie), WS - Straits Fall 2012 (caddie), WS - River Fall 2012 (caddie), All Bandon Courses Spring 2013 (AM caddies, carried in the PM). If money was no object, I would always use a caddie, but adding $100/loop can get pricey. I didn't think EH was a tough walk. There are a few hills, but I don't remember having any issues walking there, but the heat and humidity will be the difference. I think a caddie helps with the first few rounds at these courses, but once you have an idea of the course a caddie isn't necessary. At Bandon, I just needed a break from carrying my own bag!

I agree that the caddie makes these top tier places have a special feel.
[/quote]

Yeah in my experience I just love playing with caddies. Idk what it is but it just gives it that over the top push that completes the deal. I have played with caddies a decent amount and nothing feels better than hitting a green, getting handed a putter and making the walk down the fairway putter in hand. It just makes it feel special. I will say, I had one really terrible experience with a caddy and it was at the course where I really wanted the day to be perfect. At Pebble Beach my caddy was a total bone head. Instead of giving me yardages to things he gave me clubs. He misclubed me on 14 and 18. It started to go south on 7. I was sitting at +2 (tripled the first hole) and told him I wanted my 56*. He said I wouldn't be able to get it there 'based on how I was hitting the ball'. I asked him how far it would play and he said about 105-110 that day. I told him again 56*. He reluctantly gave it me and still asked if I wanted my gap wedge instead. I stuck my tee shot on 7 to about 18 inches. On 14 I asked how far to the bunker and he said 'ah this will lay you short of it'. I asked for the yardage again and he again just pointed to the club. Sure enough my drive landed dead in the center of the bunker. I was fuming. On 18, he told me to aim at the bunker on the right. I again asked how far. He admitted he didn't know exactly but that based on how I've been hitting the ball all day I wouldn't be able to reach it. I told him he was wrong and it looked hittable. At this point, after my blow up on 14 my round was kind of a mess (shot 37 on the front by the way) so I took dead aim at the bunker. Drive one hops it in. I ask him for another ball, aim further left and hit it right down the fairway. Point proven.

Anyways, growing up I caddied at Muirfield Village for a couple of summers and truly loved the job. Outside of that I have played with caddies on the bag a handful of times and it's just fun. Outside of the one time, having a caddy seems to always add to the experience. Whether it's just them giving you clubs and yardages or if it's them telling old wise tales. I always enjoy it. I figure if we are already dropping a couple grand on the trip what is another couple hundred bucks a person on caddies? Might as well do it right and get the full experience right?

^Ah man I can relate to your Pebble experience, me and my mate and the twosome that played with us last summer got stuck with a pothead and a space cadet.
When I booked the round I gave them 5 names (taken from threads here) of caddies we'd like if they were available and instead they grabbed someone out of the kitchen and threw a caddie bib on him.

I've got a flipping Hoofer bag and they refused to carry it and would only use their own. Funnily enough no one at Bandon, WS, or Pinehurst balked at carrying such a bag. Caddie we had at WS was awesome, after our first round with him we asked if he'd be around the next day and having a good one can certainly enhance 54 holes. Having a bad one? Ugh, can have you scratching your head over the coin you just blew.

Does anyone have any winter pics of WS or Blackwolf? Be cool to see those neat clubhouses in a winter wonderland.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

The one thing I was wondering is about a caddy carrying a Mackenzie bag. I never encountered a Sunday bag when I caddied at MVGC. Everyone typically had staff bags (which we switched out) or normal stand bags (hoofer seemed to be the most common).. Is it a issue with no stand? The bag is certainly lighter than my stand bag.

Side note.. That's bs they wouldn't carry your hoofer. The strap system on those are actually more accomadating for a double loop than the sun mountain and ogio bag. I remember when I caddied I would unload people's bags who had excess balls, umbrellas, etc... I swear people are clueless when they show up to high end clubs and have never played with a caddy. I remember people being shocked when we had to swap out their staff bag for a carry bag lol.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1392866510' post='8706331']
The one thing I was wondering is about a caddy carrying a Mackenzie bag. I never encountered a Sunday bag when I caddied at MVGC. Everyone typically had staff bags (which we switched out) or normal stand bags (hoofer seemed to be the most common).. Is it a issue with no stand? The bag is certainly lighter than my stand bag.
[/quote]

At the Straits it is. They will put you into one of their bags...and possibly forget the important things you want from your bag. Personal experience with this...

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1392866655' post='8706351']
[/quote]

At the Straits it is. They will put you into one of their bags...and possibly forget the important things you want from your bag. Personal experience with this...
[/quote]

Thats what I figured. I will just swap out for the carry/stand bag then before I leave for the trip. Thanks.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1392846128' post='8704073']
Yeah in my experience I just love playing with caddies. Idk what it is but it just gives it that over the top push that completes the deal. I have played with caddies a decent amount and nothing feels better than hitting a green, getting handed a putter and making the walk down the fairway putter in hand. It just makes it feel special. I will say, I had one really terrible experience with a caddy and it was at the course where I really wanted the day to be perfect. At Pebble Beach my caddy was a total bone head. Instead of giving me yardages to things he gave me clubs. He misclubed me on 14 and 18. It started to go south on 7. I was sitting at +2 (tripled the first hole) and told him I wanted my 56*. He said I wouldn't be able to get it there 'based on how I was hitting the ball'. I asked him how far it would play and he said about 105-110 that day. I told him again 56*. He reluctantly gave it me and still asked if I wanted my gap wedge instead. I stuck my tee shot on 7 to about 18 inches. On 14 I asked how far to the bunker and he said 'ah this will lay you short of it'. I asked for the yardage again and he again just pointed to the club. Sure enough my drive landed dead in the center of the bunker. I was fuming. On 18, he told me to aim at the bunker on the right. I again asked how far. He admitted he didn't know exactly but that based on how I've been hitting the ball all day I wouldn't be able to reach it. I told him he was wrong and it looked hittable. At this point, after my blow up on 14 my round was kind of a mess (shot 37 on the front by the way) so I took dead aim at the bunker. Drive one hops it in. I ask him for another ball, aim further left and hit it right down the fairway. Point proven.

Anyways, growing up I caddied at Muirfield Village for a couple of summers and truly loved the job. Outside of that I have played with caddies on the bag a handful of times and it's just fun. Outside of the one time, having a caddy seems to always add to the experience. Whether it's just them giving you clubs and yardages or if it's them telling old wise tales. I always enjoy it. I figure if we are already dropping a couple grand on the trip what is another couple hundred bucks a person on caddies? Might as well do it right and get the full experience right?
[/quote]

I've done my best to lighten my bag in general. I have an ultralight carry bag because I prefer to carry my own bag, but I pull stuff out of the bag before I have a caddy carry. I remove sunscreen, bug repellent, rain cover (they'll use their towel to keep stuff dry), and even my own towel. It is just common sense.

A couple of caddies have been straight out and told me that I can't reach a certain spot or hit it that far. Most of the time they are right, but a good caddy should give you the advice and it is up to you to take it. I either grab my laser range and scope the distance or tell the caddy he can use it if he wants. PB caddy sounds like a DB.

I asked my Straits caddy what his typical customer is (I know what they are like at Bandon). He basically said that my brother, shooting close to 100, and me shooting high 80s were in the top tier of the guys he loops for. We were both shocked. He said the majority of his loops are for people who rarely play, have tons of money, and are there for a business meet. These guys often come with their tour bags and need to be lightened. Bandon is another story, where it seems the majority are serious golfers.

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1392905485' post='8708199']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1392866655' post='8706351']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats what I figured. I will just swap out for the carry/stand bag then before I leave for the trip. Thanks.
[/quote]

Funnily enough I asked our caddy what bags he prefers and he mentioned the Hoofer (which I actually had on order but didn't come in time for my trip) and then another one I've subsequently forgotten. It might have been a Sun Mountain one, but I cannot IIRC.

I didn't actually notice too many cart/staff bags when we were there, but maybe late May was still ahead of the conference golfer season referred to in the other post above.

F.T.

[quote name='jchungum' timestamp='1392921549' post='8709729']
I've done my best to lighten my bag in general. I have an ultralight carry bag because I prefer to carry my own bag, but I pull stuff out of the bag before I have a caddy carry. I remove sunscreen, bug repellent, rain cover (they'll use their towel to keep stuff dry), and even my own towel. It is just common sense.

A couple of caddies have been straight out and told me that I can't reach a certain spot or hit it that far. Most of the time they are right, but a good caddy should give you the advice and it is up to you to take it. I either grab my laser range and scope the distance or tell the caddy he can use it if he wants. PB caddy sounds like a DB.

[b]I asked my Straits caddy what his typical customer is (I know what they are like at Bandon). He basically said that my brother, shooting close to 100, and me shooting high 80s were in the top tier of the guys he loops for. We were both shocked. He said the majority of his loops are for people who rarely play, have tons of money, and are there for a business meet. These guys often come with their tour bags and need to be lightened. Bandon is another story, where it seems the majority are serious golfers.[/b]
[/quote]

Last year when I played the straits, I got a similar statement from my caddy. For the record, I am a caddy; so, I do know the ropes and how it feels. When my dad and I first met our caddies (we played in early spring so we each got our own) I had a seasoned veteran while my dad had a new caddy. They were very upfront, telling us that this was his first loop, but that didn't bother us at all. During our general talk on the range, my dad had warned them about being a bogey golfer; both of them smiled and said that this will be a real treat. My caddy went on to saying that the average score he caddied for last year was 117.3 and anything under 100 was considered a real treat for the day. All in all, I know both as a caddy and a golfer, sometimes it's what we put into the round, not the caddy, that makes the day.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.2X

Fairway Wood: Titleist TSi3 15° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.2X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 20° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X

Irons: Titleist T150 4-PW | KBS Tour V 110s 

Wedge: Vokey SM9 Raw Finish 48.10F, 54.10S, & 60.10V | Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

[quote name='FSUbulldog' timestamp='1393005314' post='8716334']
Last year when I played the straits, I got a similar statement from my caddy. For the record, I am a caddy; so, I do know the ropes and how it feels. When my dad and I first met our caddies (we played in early spring so we each got our own) I had a seasoned veteran while my dad had a new caddy. They were very upfront, telling us that this was his first loop, but that didn't bother us at all. During our general talk on the range, my dad had warned them about being a bogey golfer; both of them smiled and said that this will be a real treat. My caddy went on to saying that the average score he caddied for last year was 117.3 and anything under 100 was considered a real treat for the day. All in all, I know both as a caddy and a golfer, sometimes it's what we put into the round, not the caddy, that makes the day.
[/quote]

I think that is so shocking. The clientele at Kohler is so drastically different from Bandon, and I'm assuming a lot of it has to do with proximity to Chicago and ease of travel.

I'm sure caddies aren't that thrilled to chat it up or be expected to tell stories or show certain spots on the course....like where Dustin Johnson grounded his club. I love the fact that caddies have side bets on their "horses". Which of their guys will score the best or win a specific hole or drive the longest.