2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Steve Williams - Shameless

tv23

Tiger's Caddy is Too big for golf
I just thought I would vent a little....

....I don't profess to know much about the specific tournament rules that caddies have to follow, but I am almost certain that Steve Williams is breaking some of them... consistently. (To be clear, I am not referring to the rules of golf). If his actions are not violations of sorts, then at the very least he is displaying a lack of respect, and etiquette every time he steps on the golf course.

Why is he permitted to remove his caddie's bib before play has finished? EVERY time Tiger hits an approach to 18, during the walk to the green, Steve removes his bib. I know why he does it (chest out, shoulders back, proudly displaying the Valvoline logo that must yield the poor guy some much needed extra income)... but why is he allowed to do it?

I chuckled/gagged a few weeks back during the Dunlop Phoenix Open in Japan. Not only did he remove his bib on 18, but he was the only one wearing a bib! ALL other caddies wore full green jumpsuits (not dissimilar to the white ones the loopers wear at Augusta), all but Steve that is. He must be better than the other caddies and has special permission to dress differently. wink wink. I bet the tournament directors and sponsors were thrilled. Especially considering they were in Japan, a country and its people revered for their manners, decorum and respect for others.

Does the highest paid caddie in the history of the game really need a motor oil sponsor? Regardless, does he need to disrobe his uniform during competitive play in order to promote it? Shameless.

Newsflash Steve: the logo is already on your right shirt sleeve and your hat. We see it because you're on tv for 68.11 shots per round... or thereabouts.

cobra bio cell pro / diamana white 72x
nike covert 2.0 /15*/ grafalloy blue 75x
titleist 910h/18*/diamana 90x
wilson fg tour v2 / 3-pw / x100
ping hoofer / titleist prov1x
cameron studio stainless laguna 2.5

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is what it is. Being pissed about this is just like all the people being pissed back when MJ was playing bball and getting favorable calls. When your caddie for the best player in the world your going to get perks and your going to get to do what you want to. He must have done something right for Tiger to pick him up.

And frankly all the people pissed off about him not doing an interview etc are being stupid. It is Tiger Woods. If he did an interview it would have sucked. All of his interviews suck. Ever since he made that gay comment that got taken the wrong way he has never had a single insightful interview. Rome said it best...tiger interview to follow....

Interviewer: Tiger, what do you think about your streak ending?

Tiger: Course in great shape swing feels good.

Interviewer: Tiger, what happened on that five foot putt?

Just be glad your going to be alive to watch him do what he does. He is going to get preferential treatment...as well he should...and so should his caddy.

And frankly all the people pissed off about him not doing an interview etc are being stupid. It is Tiger Woods. If he did an interview it would have sucked. All of his interviews suck. Ever since he made that gay comment that got taken the wrong way he has never had a single insightful interview. Rome said it best...tiger interview to follow....

Interviewer: Tiger, what do you think about your streak ending?

Interviewer: Tiger, what happened on that five foot putt?

Just be glad your going to be alive to watch him do what he does. He is going to get preferential treatment...as well he should...and so should his caddy.

perhaps you should change your handle to Jaded :rolleyes: lol...just kidding!

Honestly Tiger and steve ...are the dynamic duo and will always be critized..right or wrong, its just the cost of fame...

....I don't profess to know much about the specific tournament rules that caddies have to follow, but I am almost certain that Steve Williams is breaking some of them... consistently. (To be clear, I am not referring to the rules of golf). If his actions are not violations of sorts, then at the very least he is displaying a lack of respect, and etiquette every time he steps on the golf course.

Why is he permitted to remove his caddie's bib before play has finished? EVERY time Tiger hits an approach to 18, during the walk to the green, Steve removes his bib. I know why he does it (chest out, shoulders back, proudly displaying the Valvoline logo that must yield the poor guy some much needed extra income)... but why is he allowed to do it?

I chuckled/gagged a few weeks back during the Dunlop Phoenix Open in Japan. Not only did he remove his bib on 18, but he was the only one wearing a bib! ALL other caddies wore full green jumpsuits (not dissimilar to the white ones the loopers wear at Augusta), all but Steve that is. He must be better than the other caddies and has special permission to dress differently. wink wink. I bet the tournament directors and sponsors were thrilled. Especially considering they were in Japan, a country and its people revered for their manners, decorum and respect for others.

Does the highest paid caddie in the history of the game really need a motor oil sponsor? Regardless, does he need to disrobe his uniform during competitive play in order to promote it? Shameless.

Newsflash Steve: the logo is already on your right shirt sleeve and your hat. We see it because you're on tv for 68.11 shots per round... or thereabouts.

Is it really that much of a big deal? Steve is the best caddie in the world right now do you work for Shell oil?

i see no one really understands what i'm saying here...

golf is about everyone having to tee it up and everyone having to hole out. tiger just does it in less strokes. why does that afford his caddy special treatment?

if he's supposed to wear a jumpsuit, wear it. if he's supposed to wear a bib, wear it... and don't take it off until you get to the house.

you guys are making it more complicated than it should be, it's that simple.

the guy carrying the sack thinks he's something special, and he's not. he should stick to giving yardages, yelling at photographers and giving uncomfortable looking bear hugs on 18.

cobra bio cell pro / diamana white 72x
nike covert 2.0 /15*/ grafalloy blue 75x
titleist 910h/18*/diamana 90x
wilson fg tour v2 / 3-pw / x100
ping hoofer / titleist prov1x
cameron studio stainless laguna 2.5

i see no one really understands what i'm saying here...

golf is about everyone having to tee it up and everyone having to hole out. tiger just does it in less strokes. why does that afford his caddy special treatment?

if he's supposed to wear a jumpsuit, wear it. if he's supposed to wear a bib, wear it... and don't take it off until you get to the house.

you guys are making it more complicated than it should be, it's that simple.

the guy carrying the sack thinks he's something special, and he's not. he should stick to giving yardages, yelling at photographers and giving uncomfortable looking bear hugs on 18.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree. I'll even go one step further - I think it is Tiger's job to put a stop to it.

It isn't going to change.

I recall a incident I think was at one of those Shell made for TV events.

I think Steve wanted to wear shorts and was told to wear trousers, he refused.

Tiger was told that if Steve didnt wear shorts they couldnt play.

Tiger responded by saying something like "Fine, we will go and play in Europe"

Steve wore shorts!!

I recall a incident I think was at one of those Shell made for TV events.

I think Steve wanted to wear shorts and was told to wear trousers, he refused.

Tiger was told that if Steve didnt wear shorts they couldnt play.

Tiger responded by saying something like "Fine, we will go and play in Europe"

Steve wore shorts!!

I agree in that case - it was dangerously hot.

As for worked up, hardly. I do think it is a bit prima dona-ish however.

You guys are hilarious getting worked up about what Stevie wears on course maybe spend some time working on your games instead of worrying about what colour underwear Stevie is wearing....

Says the man sitting on his laptop on a Sunday morning :rolleyes: (I have to be here at work)

I agree with the original post, it all boils down to arrogance and Williams has always displayed that since he became Woods caddy. He just thinks he should get special treatment. Sorry Steve at the end of the day you are just a bag carrier and Woods would have won as many majors with any other caddy.

[color=#0000ff]Ping G400LST 10° Ping Tour 65 shaft S
Titleist TS 2 16.5 and 21° Tensei Blue stiff
Ping i200 4 - W, KBS 120 tour stiff
Ping Glide 2 stealth 50, 54, 58
TM Spider Red Tour[/color]

If you really pay attention other caddies take of their bibs early.

People who pick on Steve Williams for this are jealous haters.

Perhaps, but I have never seen another caddie do so. Such is the price of being on the bag of the number 1 player in the world.

I think it is inappropriate. If other caddies do it, I think they are equally inappropriate. How does that make me a hater?

From what i see on tv and from his actions in removing his bib, etc, i'd agree, Williams is an arrogant individual who thinks he's above all others .He gave a speech at the New Golf awards last year or year before and was a total disgrace with some of the things he said, according to my friends who were there to witness the guy.

Justified or not.....that's my opinion.

Perhaps, but I have never seen another caddie do so. Such is the price of being on the bag of the number 1 player in the world.

I think it is inappropriate. If other caddies do it, I think they are equally inappropriate. How does that make me a hater?

There are many people out there who like to pick on Steve Williams because he is defensive on the course. He wants to make sure everything is okay for Tiger (cameras, fans moving, etc). They are jealous because Steve has the bag of Tiger which puts him even more in the spotlight. People would be surprised to know that Steve Williams is actually one of the nicest guys out there but they would rather make a generalization from what they see on TV and read.

There are many people out there who like to pick on Steve Williams because he is defensive on the course. He wants to make sure everything is okay for Tiger (cameras, fans moving, etc). They are jealous because Steve has the bag of Tiger which puts him even more in the spotlight. People would be surprised to know that Steve Williams is actually one of the nicest guys out there but they would rather make a generalization from what they see on TV and read.

That may (or may not) be well and true, but those things are not the subject of this thread.

The fact is, Stevie takes off his bib before the round is over. It looks like he feels the rules don't apply to him. To me, that is akin to Tiger finishing his round in a tee-shirt. It is just inapporpriate.

I am also not sure who is jealous that Steve has Tiger's bag - except other caddies. I certainly do not have a life long dream of being a caddie so there is little to be jealous about. The fact that he is more in the spotlight has zero to do with being jealous. He is simply visable. People don't discuss what they don't see...

I wasn't aware that you knew Stevie personally. Interesting.

Can someone post if it actually is a rule that caddies must wear the bib at all times?

how about before we complain, we show some proof that a rule is actually being broken

From the PGA Tour:

"Caddies must register at tournament sites and their conduct is the responsibility of the players who hired them. Caddies are asked to follow a PGA TOUR dress code for shirts, pants/shorts, shoes and the caddie bib or uniform supplied by the tournament."

Same type of requirement as the player's dress code. Neither is a "rule" per se, but a requirement of the tour.

Now, why does it have to be a rule? It is still inappropriate. Rules (like laws) are the lowest standard acceptable, not a standard worthy of aspiration.

"Now, why does it have to be a rule? It is still inappropriate"

So it is not a rule, but you (and some others) feel it is inappropriate? Why I respect your right to your opinion, why should your opinion be the "right" one?

If the tournement or tour thought it was a problem, they would make it a "rule". Unless it is a "rule" than Steve and other caddies can do what they want.

Is it really that much of a big deal? Steve is the best caddie in the world right now do you work for Shell oil?

I would not say that Steve is the best caddie in the world, but he is the caddie that has the best bag in the world.

Best bag in the world, but also one of the best resumes' in the world...

Tiger Woods

Greg Norman

Raymond Floyd

Not a bad career for a looper.

Actually, i have seen at the buick open where caddies take off their bibs early. Also, Steve is sponsored by valvoline because he is a race car driver in New Zealand. Also, if Tiger thought Steve was being disrespectful, do you really think that he would have him on his bag, especially since it would reflect poorly on himself. This thread is rediculous

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

] Next you will be complaining about the swoosh on Tigers cap or the Buick on his bag? Have you heard of golf sponsorship?

"Now, why does it have to be a rule? It is still inappropriate"

So it is not a rule, but you (and some others) feel it is inappropriate? Why I respect your right to your opinion, why should your opinion be the "right" one?

If the tournement or tour thought it was a problem, they would make it a "rule". Unless it is a "rule" than Steve and other caddies can do what they want.

If by rule you mean a requirement of the PGA Tour, then yes, it is a rule. It is not, however, a rule of golf. Of course, neither are collared shirts and long pants. Did you actually read the post?

Feel free to disagree with my comment about rules being the lowest standard that is acceptable, but don't try and spin it into the crux of the argument. It isn't; its a straw man.

might I also suggest that the rules are not the lowest standard that is acceptable. The rules are the rules. The rules of golf are the rules of golf. The requirements of the PGA Tour are the requirements. Players, especially professionals, apply and follow the rules to their advantage. They don't use the rules as the "lowest standard" and purposely choose to do something harder or easier, just becuase it might be more "appropriate".