2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Steve Williams - Shameless

tv23

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it........ I have now found an amusing way to spend my lunch hour.

Just look for any(and i mean any)topic involving tiger woods (or now his caddy) and i am guaranteed of

a solid hour of some of the most entertaining discussions on the internet today.

I wish i had a dollar for everytime "number 1 player in the world" was mentioned.

Just as an aside...

Angelo Argea routinely took his caddie gear off when Nicklaus won tournaments. Many pictures of them on/around the 18th, and certainly prior to the scoring tent, are online. Same with Bones and Mickelson, same with Coffey and Wadkins. Heck, even Bruce Edwards would ditch the bib every now and then, and he was the ultimate caddie...

watson.jpg

Much ado about nothing. When caddies are friends as well as caddies, it's pretty normal to ditch the bib on the last hole for pictures. Stevie makes some cash on the side for a sponsor? Big deal. More power to him. The argument that Tiger would be just as good without Stevie is one that Tiger himself disagrees with.

Stevie can certainly be a jerk on the course, but if you've been to a tournament and seen first hand what Tiger has to deal with in a crowd versus what any other player has to deal with, it's usually warranted.

I was standing 3 feet from Tiger at a small teebox, and despite Stevie politely saying "keep the cameras off" a guy 3 people down from me took a cellphone picture, making a VERY loud digital beep during Tiger's backswing. I was expecting a reaction but Stevie just glared at the guy and they were off. I can only imagine how bad a distraction has to be for him to flip out...

...man it was tough reading these replies. some people just don't get it.

it's not about valvoline! it's not about the sponsorship! it's not about the money!

it is about him taking off his uniform prior to the end of play!!! and no i've never seen other caddies do this. you're right in that the commissioner doesn't have the sack to say anything so this minor infractions goes without fuss.

in the end it is a minor deal, but i guess that kind of stuff just bugs me, and i'll tell you why. if pat perez's caddy took off his bib before reaching the house, i can guarantee you both of them would be fined. that's all this thread was really meant to point out.

no one has yet proved that a tournament rule is being broken. and i doubt we ever will... but if there wasn't a rule stating you had to wear it at all times during competition, why would caddies put them on in the first place? they're meant to be worn. if you use this most basic form of logic you'd, eventually see my point.

that's it. stay tuned for my upcoming post on phil's pants.

CAN WE CLOSE THIS THREAD IT HAS RUN ITS COURSE AND PLEASE SPARE US YOUR PHILS PANTS POST THEY ARE BLACK AND LOOK SMART ENUFF SAID

it's not about valvoline! it's not about the sponsorship! it's not about the money!

it is about him taking off his uniform prior to the end of play!!! and no i've never seen other caddies do this. you're right in that the commissioner doesn't have the sack to say anything so this minor infractions goes without fuss.

in the end it is a minor deal, but i guess that kind of stuff just bugs me, and i'll tell you why. if pat perez's caddy took off his bib before reaching the house, i can guarantee you both of them would be fined. that's all this thread was really meant to point out.

no one has yet proved that a tournament rule is being broken. and i doubt we ever will... but if there wasn't a rule stating you had to wear it at all times during competition, why would caddies put them on in the first place? they're meant to be worn. if you use this most basic form of logic you'd, eventually see my point.

CAN WE CLOSE THIS THREAD IT HAS RUN ITS COURSE AND PLEASE SPARE US YOUR PHILS PANTS POST THEY ARE BLACK AND LOOK SMART ENUFF SAID

Look, I'd be the first to agree in the grand scheme of things this is a pretty minor issue. Still, it is an interesting discussion and I actually learned a couple of things.

That said, why do you imagine it is your job to determine what people should discuss and what is, and is not, important?

If you don't like the discussion, stay out of it. Nobody has done anything to break any rules nor has anyone attacked another member, so why close the thread? Because you don't like it?

"Now, why does it have to be a rule? It is still inappropriate"

So it is not a rule, but you (and some others) feel it is inappropriate? Why I respect your right to your opinion, why should your opinion be the "right" one?

If the tournement or tour thought it was a problem, they would make it a "rule". Unless it is a "rule" than Steve and other caddies can do what they want.

It is not a rule that you can't wear a Speedo and cut-off shirt to a baseball game, but it is totally inappropriate.

Golf is a gentlemen's game and has a code of conduct. Gentlemen don't need rules to do the right thing; they already know what it is and do it. Tiger is the #1 player in the world and this gives him the right to do whatever he wants. Until the PGA Tour stands up to him, he will do what he wants. (I am not sure if this would benefit the tour) Having the power to do what you want gives you the chance to be wrong in the public eye more than others. In this case I think Steve needs to be a caddy on the golf course and act like a caddy on the golf course. This includes wearing the same attire as the rest of the caddies and keeping his bib on until the round has been completed and the card has been signed. It is that easy.

cause im bored at lunch too, i just did a search for "Many pictures of them on/around the 18th, and certainly prior to the scoring tent, are online." and came up empty.

feel free to PM me some links! id love to see them as, growing up, i never seemed to notice this type of thing (especially Bruce Edwards, and i was a huge Tom Watson fan in the early 80s)

I'd agree that its an interesting discussion too. Theres lots of other threads going on today if someone doesnt feel like reading this one i guess.

I will concede that Steve is technically breaking a rule when removing his bib before leaving the scorers tent. My question is how many of us do similar things? How many of us speed from time to time? Or not wear our seat belt 100% of the time? Is it illegal? Yes. Do we think we are better than others or above the law when we do it? Probably not. I don't know Steve nor do I suppose I can speak for him but I don't think he is trying to be disrespectful or think he's above the rule. His job is basically done and is just ready to be "off the clock" so to speak.

cause im bored at lunch too, i just did a search for "Many pictures of them on/around the 18th, and certainly prior to the scoring tent, are online." and came up empty.

feel free to PM me some links! id love to see them as, growing up, i never seemed to notice this type of thing (especially Bruce Edwards, and i was a huge Tom Watson fan in the early 80s)

I'd agree that its an interesting discussion too. Theres lots of other threads going on today if someone doesnt feel like reading this one i guess.

listen ugly orange porsche guy - for the life of me i can't figure why you continue to read 70 some odd replies on a forum topic you evidently despise? there are thousands of others... yet you are drawn to this one. deep down inside i think you love it. so quit trying to throw us off the trail with the capital letters. my phil's pants post is on its way in mere minutes. a whole new thread (get it... thread = pants) just for you buddy.

ps - james. see following, notice how they're always hugging on 18 (no bib). I've seen him do it every tournament with the exception of Augusta.... probably cause he's not wearing anything under the jumpsuit.

the last pic is sunday, 18 at Hoylake at the British. he hadn't even putted out yet and the bib was off.

cobra bio cell pro / diamana white 72x
nike covert 2.0 /15*/ grafalloy blue 75x
titleist 910h/18*/diamana 90x
wilson fg tour v2 / 3-pw / x100
ping hoofer / titleist prov1x
cameron studio stainless laguna 2.5

id love to see them as, growing up, i never seemed to notice this type of thing (especially Bruce Edwards, and i was a huge Tom Watson fan in the early 80s)

ps - james. see following, notice how they're always hugging on 18 (no bib). I've seen him do it every tournament with the exception of Augusta.... probably cause he's not wearing anything under the jumpsuit.

whoops i think theres a mis undertsanding: i ment pics of Jack w/Angelo not wearing the bib on the 18th.

thanks for the digging tho nonethless!

i see no problem with it....just like i see no problem with them wearing collarless shirts or shorts for that matter. Especially at Augusta....in April. Have any of you ever played golf in 95 degree weather with 100 percent humidity right after a light rain.... not exactly ideal conditions for long sleeves or long pants.

I think it ridiculous that a bunch of old lazy @ss people are allowed to dictate attire for tournaments...that these pompous fools have the audacity to demand tour players to wear long pants in those kind of conditions while they sit in the club house with airconditoning is shocking.

Personally i dont give a damn about traditions that put peoples safety and well being at risk. I wish at this years masters every single golfer and caddy would show up to the first tee in shorts......

stevie, and most caddies, take the bib off on the 18th...so it's okay with me....

as far as stevies actions or "thuggery" on the course... if all the ret.ards in the gallery would sit still and shut up while tiger was taking his shot then you wouldn't see any of it would you. Again all of stevies actions are PROVOKED... it's not like he randomly walks up and slaps an old lady

if i were tigers caddie i would damn near threaten peoples very lives for taking a LOUD digital picture in his swing.....people inconsiderate enough to do something like that need to be beaten to within an inch of their lives anyway.

okay so maybe almost killing them is a bit excessive but i do feel that most of stevies actions, the people bring it on themselves and therefore i have no problem with it.

Have any of you ever played golf in 95 degree weather with 100 percent humidity right after a light rain.... not exactly ideal conditions for long sleeves or long pants.

yeah i have and actually, tigers line of slacks are really, really sweet and feel basically just like shorts. ive playing in them in some really humid temps and they breath incredibly well

lol.. talk about some irony i guess. maybe he should come out with a line of caddy bibs too lol. cheers

I'm all about the integrity of the GAME but some of you guys are acting like the stereotypical Country Club Snobs.....

I really have no value to add to this thread but I just HAD to say its probably in the top 3 dumbest threads I have ever read on ANY bulletin board on the internet. And I've been on plenty of golf and non-golf bulletin boards.

Witch hunts....

well since i play at a Muni, ill take the country club comment with a grain of salt.

personally i think the original poster had a point, hence replying on the thread.

i think a "witch hunt" would be saying he cant have a sponsor.

If theres a rule (or undertanding) saying keep the bib on until end of play, he should keep it on, out respect for the ruling.

Sure its Tiger and Steve, but that doesnt mean people cant raise the issue and discuss it, cause in someways its entirely legitimate.

Note that I said stereotypical country club snob. As in Caddyshack stereotype. Not saying thats how all, or the majority of members are. As far as the rule, if it is one,...it just seems so minor, not a big deal, and a total waste of energy.

i've played on muni's my entire life... and will continue to do so until the end of it. never even stepped foot in a country club (with the exception of one wedding reception).

golf is golf and its rules are rules. there is no "minor" or "major". AND i wasn't talking about the "rules of golf". i clearly stated in the very first post and distinguished that i was refering to possible tournament rules as they apply to caddies - and not the rules of play.

it's funny...... there are a lot of replies stating this is the stupidest post and all the rest of it. just wondering why people continue to read it. hmmm.

ps - this thread pleases me to no end.

cobra bio cell pro / diamana white 72x
nike covert 2.0 /15*/ grafalloy blue 75x
titleist 910h/18*/diamana 90x
wilson fg tour v2 / 3-pw / x100
ping hoofer / titleist prov1x
cameron studio stainless laguna 2.5