Zero Friction Tee Review

Gxgolfer

By Erik J. Barzeski via TheSandTrap.com
Click for Article>>>Here

The Zero Friction golf tee may be the best of the "alternative" golf tees around. You just can't break these things!

zerofriction_logo.gif
460cc composite drivers with movable weights. The hybrids explosion (with movable weights). Lob wedges with y-grooves. Golf balls tuned to launch high with less spin. Launch monitors. Huge advances in agronomy.

The golf world has changed dramatically in the past ten years, but a few things have remained the same: the diameter of the hole, the location of The Masters, and the lowly golf tee.

Oh, wait, scratch that last one. Just this year alone we've reviewed several new kinds of tees, from the outrageous Brush-T to the fairly traditional Stinger Tee. We even reviewed a biodegradeable tee known as the Epoch-3. Now it's Zero Friction's turn at the tee, quite literally. How does it fare? Keep reading…

Theory
Zerofriction TeeI wrote this for the Stinger Tee review:

The theory behind the Stinger tee is the same as we've seen with the Epoch and Brush-T: less tee touches the ball, minimizing clubhead deflection and drag. The ball launches with less resistance and lower spin.

The same holds true for the Zero Friction tee: three little posts contact the ball, creating a large pocket of air beneath the ball and little chance of resistance as the ball begins sliding off the tee at impact.

The Zero Friction tee itself is relatively simple, as you can see to the right. Made of a biodegradable material, the tee consists of a tapered end, a post, and three little prongs at the top. You know, just like a regular old tee. Instructions tell you to point one of the prongs down the fairway to minimize drag and, I suspect, to minimize the chance of snapping off one of the three posts with your driver.

This is a rather conventional design, naturally, and one that is easily adopted by golfers. Stick a Brush-T in someone's hand and they'll often give you a funny look. The Zero Friction Tee is at least "user friendly."

Performance
Zero Friction Tees have been used to win several PGA Tour events. Great. Laura Davies tees her ball on top of a mound of earth, so we're pretty confident that PGA Tour pros could win with anything.

Excel Golf Tee, Inc. - makers of the Zero Friction tee - claim that the Zero Friction tee will enable you to hit the ball 5 yards further and 7 yards more accurately than any other distance tee. Naturally, and as we've said in our other distance tee reviews, it's tough to verify whether these tees provide any additional yardage. After all, we're not machines, and our swings can't be counted on to produce scientifically reliable results.

We did manage to put together a somewhat scientific test, however. Ten golfers having handicaps ranging from 5 to 15 each hit 20 balls on the driving range. The tee beneath the ball was randomly and blindly chosen so that 10 shots with both a standard wooden tee and a Zero Friction tee were hit. All other aspects were as controlled as possible - a consistent tee height was kept and so forth. 10 shots were hit with each. Any obviously mishit shots were replayed so as not to affect the averages dramatically.

Balls hit from the standard wooden tee served as the control, and balls hit from the Zero Friction tee were obviously the test subjects. The results aren't spectacular, but they do indicate some increased performance:

Wooden Tee Zero Friction
Distance 253 yards 257 yards
Deviation 13.5 yards 11.9 yards

zerofriction_tees.jpgzerofriction_tee.jpg

In other words, the Zero Friction tee produced, on average, tee shots that were four yards further and about 1.5 yards closer to the center of the fairway than standard wooden tees. Not quite the 5 and 7 yards claimed, but 1.5 yards is the difference between the first cut of rough and the fairway, and four yards is nearly half a club less on approach shots.

I was initially concerned that the height of the tees - a fairly meager 2.75 inches - would not be appropriate for the 460cc drivers, but if you consider that by putting the tee in the ground 3/4", the center of the ball will be nearly three inches in the air, your fears will subside. In other words, 2.75" seems to be just enough height to set the ball up high enough for the largest drivers available. Still, it would be nice to see a taller version, if for no other reason than to calm the fears of the über-sensitive.

But One Other Thing…
What we noticed most in testing was that these tees simply did not break. We took a pack of 50 tees to the test site and returned with 49, but only because one "tester" pilfered his after smashing a drive 320 yards. He's a believer.

I've personally played about 20 rounds of golf with four or five Zero Friction tees in my bag. They're somewhat dirty now, but I still have the same four or five tees I started with. These things are so indestructible (yet biodegradeable?) that I'm having a hard time figuring out how Excel Golf Tee plans on making any money. After all, once everyone's bought a 50-pack of Zero Friction tees for $4.99, they may never need to buy tees again.

After years of "indestructible" plastic tees, a truly indestructible tee is well worth ten cents apiece. Whether Excel Golf Tees, Inc. likes this or not, that may be this tee's best feature.

zerofriction_ball_on_tee.jpg
The Zero Friction tee touches the ball in three very small spots and provides a cushion of air beneath the ball to further reduce deflection.

Conclusion
My allegiance has shifted: I no longer play the Stinger tees as I once did. I've switched full-heartedly to the Zero Friction tee. It may or may not give me increased distance and accuracy, but it does give me round after round of dependability.

Which is more than I can say for my golf swing.

"This article is republished with permission from The Sand Trap .com and
remains copyright © The Sand Trap .com. All rights and privileges reserved."

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some of these tees at the PGA Show last January. I still have them. I use them regularly. The only reason I use them is because they don't break. Do they help me gain another yard or two? Probably not. But I still to this day haven't broken one.

[b]Golfer | Clubfitter | Kayaker | Photographer[/b]

I like the Zero Friction tees, but agree with the statement that they are a bit too short. I've found that with a soft teeing area you need to put the tee a bit further into the ground to stabilize it. Therefore, with only 2.75" to work with, the ball is teed too low for a driver. I prefer having 1/2 of the ball above the crown of the driver.

It would be nice to have these in a 3" or 3.25" version. The Epoch tee at 3" is a better length IMO.

Tried the Zero Friction Tees recently -- very durable -- still have the first one somewhere.

I had a problem judging tee height and ended up hitting some balls to Mars -- watch tee height and put them in the ground a bit more than you think -- experiment with it.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

How do these tees compare to epoch tees. I was thinking about picking up some "performance tees" and wondering which is the best one.

43177[/snapback]

They don't add any distance in my opinion, but the ZF's are MUCH more durable that the Epoch. They are a lot cheaper too.

• 1 month later...

I've used these for a few rounds, and while they are durable, I find that I've had to replace a few b/c they get a little warped from use. If they're not perfectly straight, it's tougher to get a ball to stay on the prongs since there is so little contact to begin with. Of course you could play around with it a bit to bend it back in place, but that'd require way too much effort.

Where can you get these?  Nothing came up on ebay.  I've been using the epochs and while I like them, durability has definitely dropped with the temperature.  Also, as DM pointed out, you have to go on a scavenger hunt after teeing off.

beruo

65667[/snapback]

Zero Friction Tee's

WOW, I will have to give these a try! I have been using Epochs (I bought 5 packs because I had a GC to Dick's Sporting Goods), and I thought they would be a more durable tee that would give me that extra edge finding the fairway. I didn't really notice anything besides every 4-5 drives top half would just snap off after a drive, and if they didn't break it took some good eyes to spot them afterwards. $4.99 a pack of 15 for the Epoch 3's is just insane! I say I went through a box every 3 rounds, and considering I get wood tees for free, it was a complete waste of $25.00 :tongue:

These look really good, and the one thing that I like is that they are more durable, AND the biggest factor is the price, you get a little more than 3 times as much for the same price, you can't beat that!

Cheers, Bryan

Where can you get these?  Nothing came up on ebay.  I've been using the epochs and while I like them, durability has definitely dropped with the temperature.  Also, as DM pointed out, you have to go on a scavenger hunt after teeing off.

beruo

65667[/snapback]

Zero Friction Tee's

65788[/snapback]

Thanks. :tongue:

(now I've got to come up with some other stuff to make it worth the shipping!)

:hi:

• 1 month later...

I recently bought 50 of the Zero Friction tees, no chance to try them yet since I am burdened with Winter. The durability factor is good to read about, I have some Epoch tees which as others have said break quite easily. They do tend to disappear also which sucks since they are not the cheapest "new" tee around!

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

The durability is the best thing about them Golfwolf. I've used them for just under a year now, and broken only one of them. :birthday:

All I can to that is WOW! :birthday:

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

There are a lot of guys out there playing "the other small cup wood tee", but the complaint we always heard was they break every shot. Well, Zero Friction Hardwood won't have that problem. We turned the tees out of solid Oak, so they are considerably stronger than traditional slim wood tees. I took some prototypes out last spring and only broke 1 tee the entire round. The product was very popular on tour this year, the touring pros seemed to love them.

I can only assume that you mean Stinger tees by this. I'll have you know I had like 2 or 3 of those things NOT break after the first shot. :birthday: I did get some ZF's for Christmas and can tell you that the points are not nearly as sharp as the Stingers and therefore are not nearly as good for cleaning out grooves. I for one will continue to carry Stingers so that I can clean my grooves regularly--I will however be teeing of with Zero Friction. :birthday:

beruo

(btw, nice to have you on board Mike)

:hi:

The durability on these things are absolutely remarkable. I bought a 50 pack early this spring, and still have around 35 left. Reason I have so few is that I've given several away to my friends. Case in point, I was in town visiting a friend and gave him 2 of the ZF tees sometime during the round we played. I was back in town about 3 months later and we played again............he still was using the same 2 tees.

As far as some of the other claims of improved distance/accuracy, I can't say that they've made any significant differences in my game. But they don't hurt my game either, and I wont have to buy tees again for the next decade.

i just want to know if they are easier to get in the ground than the epoch3

my problem with them was in hard turf the tee WOULD NOT go in the ground. so back to wooden i went.. i didn't pay for the epochs... my club maker gave me several packs to use and test..

my take on the epochs.. they work but they are brittle on the tips and they bend after several uses and the ground issue..

if ZF doesn't have these issues.. i will give them a go.

I am currently using the Epoch tees and think that they're ok, do they add distance...I don't think so. One that I can say is that I'm more concerned about where my stupid white tee is going, cuz i don't want to loose it. :birthday:

Unfortunately I didn't know about the ZF tees otherwise I would have bought those instead! Well, now I'll not worry and if I lose one...oh-well, cuz the next tee that is going in my bag is ZF. Hopefully someone finds it and think they've won the lottery!

Ken

ZFTEES

i have just started using your product since Christmas and mainly because of this forum. I think you have a wonderful product as everyone testifies too, but as long as the last once you saturated the market your sells will have to drop off. I am still playing with my fifty. I asked Santa to get me three packs. I only got one and i was going to get me a couple more but I have no idea why. I can't lose one and i can not break one.

again love your product.