Adams XTD Cross-Cavity irons...anyone hit them yet?

rtraudt

[quote name='AspiringScratch' timestamp='1394883723' post='8876229']
My first time hitting these irons, My numbers with the adams were, on average, 83.2 club head speed, 113.5 ball speed, 17.8 launch angle, 5004 spin rate, 162.4 carry, 174.7 total distance. This is with a 6 iron, c taper lite shaft, 0.5" short.

I wasn't hitting the taylormades nearly as well, but I think it is more to do with the shaft in them, the kbs tour 90 which I easily overpowered. Numbers were 84.3 club head speed, 108.3 ball speed, 22.5 launch angle, 7690 spin rate, 146 carry, 150 total distance. Terrible numbers, but I didn't want to try the head with a different shaft, it just didn't feel great to me. The XTD have a very soft feel, the speedblades feel like the cast irons they are.
[/quote]

I didnt realize the XTD were available for fittings yet, did you go to Adams to get fit?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tobybear' timestamp='1394886945' post='8876335']
[quote name='AspiringScratch' timestamp='1394883723' post='8876229']
My first time hitting these irons, My numbers with the adams were, on average, 83.2 club head speed, 113.5 ball speed, 17.8 launch angle, 5004 spin rate, 162.4 carry, 174.7 total distance. This is with a 6 iron, c taper lite shaft, 0.5" short.

I wasn't hitting the taylormades nearly as well, but I think it is more to do with the shaft in them, the kbs tour 90 which I easily overpowered. Numbers were 84.3 club head speed, 108.3 ball speed, 22.5 launch angle, 7690 spin rate, 146 carry, 150 total distance. Terrible numbers, but I didn't want to try the head with a different shaft, it just didn't feel great to me. The XTD have a very soft feel, the speedblades feel like the cast irons they are.
[/quote]

I didnt realize the XTD were available for fittings yet, did you go to Adams to get fit?
[/quote]

I was fitted at a place called modern golf, in toronto. I was actually fitted twice. First time for the c taper lites but my swing was not up to my standards. Second time, after hitting balls three of four times, I was fitted for the kbs tour v stiff. This combo is unreal. I don't remember my number specifically, but swing speed was around 87mph, ball speed was anywhere from 115-120, spin rate was just over 5000, carry was on average 173 and total distance was 182. I ordered mine from adams yesterday. 3 and 4 hybrids, 5 iron to gap wedge, kbs tour v, soft stepped, -0.5" length

These are about to drop in the UK as well. I hit the 6 iron in my net (I am a UK based club builder) and although I am in a swing change with in about 10 balls I was 170 carry which is more than my current set but easily expect that to be up to 180-185 once my current swing changes take place. I currently play SteelFibre 95 stiff trimmed a few cpm softer so quite liked the KBS 90. My rep told me the KBS Ctaper 90 is the new name for the Tour 90??

I have played players semi-blades for a few seasons and want a bigger cavity this season to increase ball speed and forgiveness.

Had a chance to hit these over the weekend at a local golf show. Unfortunately it was only into a net, not even with a launch monitor, but they looked much nicer in person than I was expecting. The cavities do look like they are going to be a nightmare to clean (the Adams rep joked about buying a power washer) bit the feel was great. Only complaint I might have is that the clubs felt a little light in my hands, but I would consider switching the stock shafts out for something a little bit heavier anyways. At address, however, they look great (not too much offset for my eye at all) and I'm definitely looking forward to hitting these outside to see ballflight and turf interaction.

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

[quote name='rtraudt' timestamp='1395069507' post='8889517']
Had a chance to hit these over the weekend at a local golf show. Unfortunately it was only into a net, not even with a launch monitor, but they looked much nicer in person than I was expecting. The cavities do look like they are going to be a nightmare to clean (the Adams rep joked about buying a power washer) bit the feel was great. Only complaint I might have is that the clubs felt a little light in my hands, but I would consider switching the stock shafts out for something a little bit heavier anyways. At address, however, they look great (not too much offset for my eye at all) and I'm definitely looking forward to hitting these outside to see ballflight and turf interaction.
[/quote]

I ordered mine this weekend with kbs tour v, softstepped, cut down 0.5". This shaft is still lightweight, but heavier than the stock c taper 90's. They play very similar to the kbs tour. Slightly higher launch, slightly lower spin. This shaft with the xtd head feels absolutely amazing. I suggest trying them out

[quote name='AspiringScratch' timestamp='1395071392' post='8889739']
[/quote]

I ordered mine this weekend with kbs tour v, softstepped, cut down 0.5". This shaft is still lightweight, but heavier than the stock c taper 90's. They play very similar to the kbs tour. Slightly higher launch, slightly lower spin. This shaft with the xtd head feels absolutely amazing. I suggest trying them out
[/quote]

What was the upcharge for the KBS tour v? Seems like a good option based on what I've read about it.

Byron Morgan 612
Snell MTB X

[quote name='rtraudt' timestamp='1395072186' post='8889849']
[quote name='AspiringScratch' timestamp='1395071392' post='8889739']
[/quote]

[/quote]

What was the upcharge for the KBS tour v? Seems like a good option based on what I've read about it.
[/quote]

I ordered through a special purchasing club, so I will receive my quote in the next few days. I am guessing it will be a minimum upcharge

• 2 weeks later...

great thread guys with great info...going to check these out on friday when they launch in retail stores here in the states. I just picked up the Mizuno ez non forged and i just cant get over how extremely large these clubs are (thought i would be okay with them but its really bothering me) so i want to try out all adams compared to my Ping woods/mizuno irons.

Will report back when i compare them. Another opinion cant hurt. lol

[quote name='brent' timestamp='1395864396' post='8957055']
Mine came in today. Will give an update tomorrow. KBS Tour x shafts soft stepped and a couple Pro hybrids with the stock Aldila.
[/quote]

Very curious to how you like them. I've got mine coming with kbs tour stiff soft stepped. Have you hit them before?

Today was my first day to hit them. Ho method I guess. It was very windy so that didnt help. However, I hit the 7 iron about 2 miles high. Seriously, virtually unplayable in the wind. Once again the Covert Tour forged outperformed them (best irons of the year so thats not fair). They had a distinctive type "tink" sound to em. Feel very hot, very different feel thats for sure. At the moment I will likely get DG X100s or PX 6.5 installed. Im starting to realize that KBS do not fit my swing no matter what. The hybrids seemed very forgiving, hot ball flight. Really nice feel. Those will be a winner for Adams.

[quote name='brent' timestamp='1395886394' post='8959339']
Today was my first day to hit them. Ho method I guess. It was very windy so that didnt help. However, I hit the 7 iron about 2 miles high. Seriously, virtually unplayable in the wind. Once again the Covert Tour forged outperformed them (best irons of the year so thats not fair). They had a distinctive type "tink" sound to em. Feel very hot, very different feel thats for sure. At the moment I will likely get DG X100s or PX 6.5 installed. Im starting to realize that KBS do not fit my swing no matter what. The hybrids seemed very forgiving, hot ball flight. Really nice feel. Those will be a winner for Adams.
[/quote]

Glad the hybrids felt great for you. I agree the irons feel very hot, solid feel when you flush one. Kbs fits my swing very well, so I'm not worried about that, although unfortunate for you to have to reshaft

[quote name='CrushSticks' timestamp='1393606905' post='8765350']
Not as much offset at address in my opinion, but I would have to see the numbers to be sure. Definitely not as bulky looking as the X-Hot at address, and I feel like the finish makes the head appear a little smaller. Haven't taken a good look at SpeedBlade to be honest, but I feel like the SpeedBlade have a slightly "chunkier" look than these XTDs. Not sure on offset comparison though.

My only complaint with these irons is that they preach that the lofts are not jacked up because of a 28* 6 iron, yet the PW is 44*. I don't care about that stuff as long as the ball launches correctly, but don't say your lofts aren't jacked when you've got a 44* PW.
[/quote]

Agreed with the jacked up lofts comment. And I hate to break it to them, but 5 irons are 27/28*, not 6 irons

Cobra King LTD Black - Hzrdus Black
Cobra King LTD Black 3-Wood - Hzrdus Black
Ping i25 19* Hybrid - Ping TFC X
Cobra 21* Utility Iron - Hzrdus Black
Ping i210 Irons 4-PW - AWT 2.0 X 
Ping Glide Stealth Wedges - 50 ss, 55 (56ss bent to 55), 60ss w/ lob combo grind
Ping TR 1966 Anser

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my irons. Got them today, and adams put tour 90's in them instead of the regular tours i asked for. Gave them to my clubmaker and he is gonna take the tour 90's and install a set of kbs tour pulls he has lying around. Hybrids look great, will hit them this week to see how they perform and compare to my hybrids now (3 idea pro and 4 tech v3)

I've had mine about 3 weeks now and about 10 rounds under my belt. These are brutally long compared to my Callaway RazrX irons. Much better looking at address than the RazrX and 10-15 yards longer per stick. I launch them higher as well but no ballooning and have played them in some 20 mph winds. Mis hits are as long as my old clubs on center strikes. The 3 and 4 hybrids are longer as well by about 10 yards compared to RazrX hybrids. I have the KBS C Taper 90 shafts in them. I am guessing these are the C Taper Lite shafts just re-named for Adams product but don't know for sure. I couldn't be happier - a game changing product for me. I'm a 5 handicapper if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a standard set, 4 - pw with the stock c tapers. They seem OK....definitely forgiving and plenty long. But horrible sound and feel, IMO. Then today I took them to my shop (Pete's in Mineola, LI) to be bent flat. He barely breathed on the 4 iron and it snapped like a paper clip. What a piece of garbage! Ebay here we come.

[quote name='johnnypro' timestamp='1399517804' post='9254375']
I bought a standard set, 4 - pw with the stock c tapers. They seem OK....definitely forgiving and plenty long. But horrible sound and feel, IMO. Then today I took them to my shop (Pete's in Mineola, LI) to be bent flat. He barely breathed on the 4 iron and it snapped like a paper clip. What a piece of garbage! Ebay here we come.
[/quote]

Have you contacted Adams CS? That sounds like something that shouldn't happen. I've had plenty of Adams clubs before and never once been disappointed or had issues with quality. But, as all companies do, there are occasional issues. I would contact them and see what they can do. If not, post them on the BST and perhaps someone (myself...wink wink) might be interested before going to the Bay.

Byron Morgan 612
Snell MTB X

Anyone know what the hosel diameter is on these? .335?

Byron Morgan 612
Snell MTB X

[quote name='Nodak' timestamp='1399559719' post='9256517']
Has anyone tried these with the Matix Ozik Program Q85 graphite shafts? Im seriously considering these.
[/quote]I'd like to know as well.. My right forearm has had enough abuse.... If anyone has any experience let us know.

Ps.... I saw pictures originally and thought ugly terminator movie like looks. Then in real life thought at address they were one of the most surprisingly great looking irons.
Slimmer than speed blade, nice dark finish.
They surprised me big time.
Look great with contrast of the nice white Ozik graphite too.

I hit them today when I was trying different clubs and they are nice but not nice enough to kick out the Karstens I have.I loved the shaft and they did feel great and the ball flight was lower than the Karstens.
The reason I was there was my wife said I could get the ansers if I wanted but after I hit them the only thing I would gain was the ansers looked really good and I would lose too much on my clubs.
If I did not have the ansers the Adams would have been very high on my list.

I just hit these into a simulator and the long iron distances were staggering. On the simulator I hit the 4i 242, 245 multiple times. I grabbed several other clubs such as my own CMB's, AP1's, AP2's and a Cobra Amp forged. All those were in the vicinity of 210.

I compared 7 irons which I hit 160 in normal conditions. Simulator read 170 on my CMB's. all the other clubs were about the same, Cross Cavities were 195.

I know irons are for accuracy and not distance...but come on that's a big jump. I switched between all of the clubs several times and the Adams were just so long with what looked like similar dispersion. I'll have to try these outdoors with some good balls because I didn't get the poor feel others were talking about. They felt smooth.

I got mine out for the first time today and I am very happy with them. The have a very nice, boring ball flight and the XTD Pro Hybrids are a nice transition from the Pro A12. I never thought anything would challenge my A12 Proto but these things are awesome. The irons, although a little bulky, sit very nice at address and the ball come screaming off of them. The sound isn't the best, but the performance more than makes up for that. There will be a bit of a learning period coming from my Titleist 704's, but it was time to join the present and as Garth Algar says "live in the now!!"

[color=#0000ff]TaylorMade SLDR TP 10.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder[/color]
[color=#ff0000]Srixon Z Steel 14.5* Miyazaki S3000[/color]
[color=#ff0000]Srixon AD 18* Matrix Studio 84
Srixon Z545 4-PW TT Dynamic Gold[/color]
Cleveland 588 RTX 50*, 54*, 58* TT Dynamic Gold
[color=#daa520]SeeMore FGP Precision Tour Milled[/color]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Nodak' timestamp='1399559719' post='9256517']
Has anyone tried these with the Matix Ozik Program Q85 graphite shafts? Im seriously considering these.
[/quote]

Yes, today in fact. Felt fantastic at impact, much better than the c taper stock shafts. I guess they are 5 grams lighter, which shouldn't make that much difference, but I was averaging around 94 SS w/ the 6 iron which and carrying about 197. They are stupid long irons and I really enjoyed the look address; way more than my JPX EZ forged. I hit my EZ 6 w/ PX 6.0 about 174 on average. I've always considered graphite shafts and I may mess around and pick up a set for the heck of it to give them a go.

I felt like I could flight them well and move them around okay, but it was on a monitor so who knows for sure.

16' M1 Fuji Pro TS 60x
915f 15* D+ 80x
915h 19* D+ 90x
Pro Black CB1 4-PW PX 6.0
RTX 3 50* S400
SM6 54*. 58* C Taper 120
Works Limited #7