How to find the right ball when you are inconsistent?

ProStryker

Just curious how many of you find the best ball for your game if you are somewhat inconsistent with back to back to back shots? I am around a 9.5 hcap, mostly from being able to scrap around and not compound my mistakes, and good course management. I currently play a ProV1x, but wonder if there is a better ball for my game. My driver swingspeed can vary from 100-109mph. I have no problem spinning the ball on wedge shots, and can stop full shots into a green with 7 iron and higher. I hit 7 iron ~165 or so. My problem is that I can't tell which ball is better when trying to do comparisons, because I may draw an iron on one shot, then push fade the next, leading to different distance results. I may hit driver 290 on one drive, then 260 on the next due to inconsistent swings. Same with irons, may flush one, then catch the next a little heavy. I can never get a great feel for what balls compared are doing because I can't repeat the same shot time after time, unless it's with a wedge. Anyone have any ways to find a correct ball for your game if your ball striking is inconsistent? Oh, and ignore my ProStryker username, lol.

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think of it as though you are a Tour player for whom a ball that spins 300rpm too much off a short iron or 200rpm too little off a driver is BFD. It's probably not that big a deal for Tour players and it's a non-existent deal for 9-handicappers.

A ball will either react as you want it to around the green (most times) or it won't. It will either stop when you expect it to on approach shots to a firm green (most times) or it won't. It will either fly on the trajectory you're looking for with the driver (most times) or it won't.

If you play 4-5 rounds with a ball and don't notice any particular thing it fails to do, then that is the best ball for your game. If not the absolute best, then indistinguishable from the best. So play it. Or try a different one if it lets you down. It's really that simple.

The question for any golfer is not "What is the absolute best [fill in the blank...ball, driver, wedge, putter] for my game?" but rather "Is there some other [ball, driver, wedge, putter] enough better than this one to impact my scorecard and/or my enjoyment of the game?".

So what if there's some ball out there that would give you 2/10 of a degree lower launch with 150rpm more spin and 0.7mph greater ball speed than the ball you're using. That's like two yards on your best drives difference. It makes no material difference in your results whatsoever. Concentrate on finding a good ball that works well. Not the best ball that works perfectly. Even a 29-handicapper will know after a few rounds if something is working well or not. Most 9-handicappers ought to be able to tell in a round or two.

I think in order to really notice differences in golf balls you really need to get to know one well first!

Then when you throw something else into the mix you will see if you driver it farther, if it releases on short wedges, whether it holds it's line in the wind better or not. It also helps if you play the same course regularly.. so once you get to know said golf ball you'll notice if you're hitting it to different spots than normal and/or if it's reacting better or worse around the greens. It turns out being a longer process of trial and error but at the end of the day, how a ball reacts to people on here may not be how it ends up working for you.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1394923094' post='8878877']
Don't think of it as though you are a Tour player for whom a ball that spins 300rpm too much off a short iron or 200rpm too little off a driver is BFD. It's probably not that big a deal for Tour players and it's a non-existent deal for 9-handicappers.

A ball will either react as you want it to around the green (most times) or it won't. It will either stop when you expect it to on approach shots to a firm green (most times) or it won't. It will either fly on the trajectory you're looking for with the driver (most times) or it won't.

If you play 4-5 rounds with a ball and don't notice any particular thing it fails to do, then that is the best ball for your game. If not the absolute best, then indistinguishable from the best. So play it. Or try a different one if it lets you down. It's really that simple.

The question for any golfer is not "What is the absolute best [fill in the blank...ball, driver, wedge, putter] for my game?" but rather "Is there some other [ball, driver, wedge, putter] enough better than this one to impact my scorecard and/or my enjoyment of the game?".

So what if there's some ball out there that would give you 2/10 of a degree lower launch with 150rpm more spin and 0.7mph greater ball speed than the ball you're using. That's like two yards on your best drives difference. It makes no material difference in your results whatsoever. Concentrate on finding a good ball that works well. Not the best ball that works perfectly. Even a 29-handicapper will know after a few rounds if something is working well or not. Most 9-handicappers ought to be able to tell in a round or two.
[/quote]

Great advice. The only thing I would add is that you might want to try a ball that isn't quite as "spinny" to see if it helps with your off-direction misses. The Bridgestone B330RX or similar might be an option. The ProV1x is very penalizing if you hit it with a little too much sidespin.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

There's less difference in any two "Tour" type urethane balls than between a "Tour" type ball and any surlyn ball. The B330-RX for instance spins less than just about any other urethane ball (and as such seems intended for those who don't feel they benefit from "Tour" type spin). None the less when you play a B330-RX for a few holes you might confuse with with a ProV1 or B330-S but you'd never confuse it with an e6 or NXT Tour. It's night and day different.

Watch mark crossfields ball video. Barely any difference off tee. The difference is in feel around green and putting. Try some and pick a feel off the putter. Start on the green and work back.

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

Like others mention, there isn't much difference in the higher end. Nor the mid range non urethane 3pc balls. Really you just need to find a ball that you prefer around the green. The choices are really about wedge spin imo and putter feel. Either high spin or not, soft or hard feel. So you just need to know what kind of shot you like to play around the greens, and putter feel, then base your ball choice on that.

Now buy 5-6 dozen and play with those till you run out. Then go from there. And I recommend not buying current year balls , you can get past year balls for <20 per dz shipped so go that route. This boards deal or no deal and golfball subforums have constant deals on balls so just keep an eye out.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1394930373' post='8879601']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1394928489' post='8879423']
Doesn't matter. Pick a urethane and go.
[/quote]

REALLY? :shok:
[/quote]

Too hard? Okay, go by feel then. You don't have to go very far to find some pretty knowledgeable folks on this site who acknowledge the high level balls are so close in performance that the differences are minute.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

You can always try going with a ball that is extremely vague with mysterious properties..

I mean really,, 54 people have bought one of these?? [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-Durable-Exquisite-Designed-Golf-Ball-for-Golf-Game-/250960753016?pt=US_Golf_Balls&hash=item3a6e6d3178"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-Durable-Exquisite-Designed-Golf-Ball-for-Golf-Game-/250960753016?pt=US_Golf_Balls&hash=item3a6e6d3178[/url]

Actually, come to think of it.. these have to be the Pro V1x 332s before they get Titleist painted on them.. the description is basically a copy + paste, heh. But still...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Well let's represent all "Tour" type urethane balls by a pile of balls at the 50 yard line, spreading from one 45 (B330-RX) to the other 45 (B330-S). Heck, the 'RX is an outlier with very low spin so maybe it spills over to its 42 or 43...

The pile of balls representing surlyn covers will be in one end zone, spreading up the end-zone stands into the nosebleed seats.

I think that's the main point for MG76 and others arguing for just picking one from the urethane "pile". Getting the right general type of ball probably matters to 'most everyone and matters a lot to some people. Which ball from within the urethane "pile" is starting to draw some pretty fine distinctions in results.

And keep in mind, those guys aren't saying playing one hole with a B330-RX, the next with a ProV1x and the one after that with a Hex Black Tour. Just pick one, stick with it a while and if you don't like it pick another one and stick with that one.

The original question seemed to be about puzzling over teeny, tiny little differences that a 9-handicapper can't discern because of swing-to-swing, hole-to-hole inconsistency. If two balls seem the same after comparing them for a couple rounds, then they are the same for any practical purpose. That's my point in all this.

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1394979812' post='8882239']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1394940945' post='8880499']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Too hard? Okay, go by feel then. You don't have to go very far to find some pretty knowledgeable folks on this site who acknowledge the high level balls are so close in performance that the differences are minute.
[/quote]

Hmmmmm ...... I must not be one of those "pretty knowledgeable" folks. But I can tell the difference in a B330RX and a B330S, and there is a marked difference between the V1 and V1X. Tons of spin differences in both of those comparisons. Lumping all urethane balls into one pile is pretty inaccurate.
[/quote]

The differences between most balls will be 5 or so yards and a couple hundred rpm's. Some feel softer than others, but that is about it. Remember also that we are talking about an inconsistent player.

Titleist ProV1x

I would not have any standing to criticize someone able to discern, much less utilize, the difference in spin between a ProV1 and ProV1x or between a Lethal and a B330. But I've got to point out that for myself and pretty much everyone I ever play golf with, all of those balls are interchangeable. Outside of a couple hundred launch-monitor rpm on a driver ball fitting or a slight difference in feel all of those balls play interchangeably for me and the guys I play regularly with all have the same experience.

I have noticed a few outliers among "Tour" balls or so it seemed to me at the time. The old Callaway Tour iS (or was it iZ?) and the Taylormade TP5 both seemed to have more spin off wedges and short irons, to the point of sucking back off greens even with my low clubhead speed. And the B330-RX that's been mentioned does seem lower spin than the norm.

But there's a big middle ground that all seem to play like generic "Tour" urethane golf balls. Maybe a bit more or less clicky sounding but that's about it. And I play with guys ranging from 6-20+ handicaps who all find the same thing.

P.S. And if you look at those spin and launch angle graphs that one of the magazines periodically publishes, there is this huge overlapping jumble of balls in one spot on the graph where maybe 70% of the "Tour" balls tested all yield basically the same driver and wedge spin give or take margin or measurement error.

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1395006409' post='8884923']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1394992002' post='8883425']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hmmmmm ...... I must not be one of those "pretty knowledgeable" folks. But I can tell the difference in a B330RX and a B330S, and there is a marked difference between the V1 and V1X. Tons of spin differences in both of those comparisons. Lumping all urethane balls into one pile is pretty inaccurate.
[/quote]

The differences between most balls will be 5 or so yards and a couple hundred rpm's. Some feel softer than others, but that is about it. Remember also that we are talking about an inconsistent player.
[/quote]

Well, maybe "5 or so yards" isn't that big of a thing to you ..... but it is to me. Inside 100 yards that's the difference between a birdie putt and a par. There's enough difference between the spin on the balls I mentioned to totally change the way I play some shots around the green.

Like I said: You can't lump all urethane balls into the same category. It's just not a correct statement for anyone who knows how to play the game. And encouraging an "inconsistent player" (your description) to just game any urethane ball without regard for the differences isn't doing them any favors. The ball is one piece of the puzzle that must be resolved if improvement is expected, just like the shafts, etc. Everything comes into play and an overlooked or taken for granted part of the game won't allow for the improvement that could be realized.
[/quote]

It's five yards off the tee, so it would be even less on a 100 yard shot.

Are you trying to argue your shots are so consistent that one ball truly would perform better than another ball with such precision?

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1395058529' post='8888441']
[quote name='arnold palmtree' timestamp='1395057344' post='8888367']

Are you trying to argue your shots are so consistent that one ball truly would perform better than another ball with such precision?
[/quote]

YES. How's [i]your [/i]game?
[/quote]

Why you sandbagging at a 3.2?

Since USGA initial velocity testing is actually done with a 100mph swing speed, and nearly all current conforming balls will likely perform at somewhere near to the allowed limit there, you will likely see very little difference in distance in [i]almost[/i] any current ball (apart from some balls specifically marketed at those with slower swing speeds).

You may still see some differences though in trajectory and spin. I'm curiuous whether you deliberately chose the V1x over the V1. The V1x has less spin off driver, and a bit higher launch angle. There may be a reason you prefer higher compression balls, or maybe even a reason you like a four piece ball.

In general though you will see the most difference on greens. Are any of your wedge shots spinning too much and backing up? If you have good reasons for choosing V1x, and no desire for [i]less[/i] spin, that might limit the number of balls you would be interested in comparing.

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1395006409' post='8884923']
[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1394992002' post='8883425']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, maybe "5 or so yards" isn't that big of a thing to you ..... but it is to me. Inside 100 yards that's the difference between a birdie putt and a par. There's enough difference between the spin on the balls I mentioned to totally change the way I play some shots around the green.

Like I said: You can't lump all urethane balls into the same category. It's just not a correct statement for anyone who knows how to play the game. And encouraging an "inconsistent player" (your description) to just game any urethane ball without regard for the differences isn't doing them any favors. The ball is one piece of the puzzle that must be resolved if improvement is expected, just like the shafts, etc. Everything comes into play and an overlooked or taken for granted part of the game won't allow for the improvement that could be realized.
[/quote]

:bb2:

I dunno man, maybe you just have better feel for balls?

Titleist ProV1x

I think you could get really, really, really, really good at golf playing a ProV1 instead of a ProV1x. Or vice versa.

Don't confuse being able to discern a slight difference with that difference mattering to your score. Anybody capable of shooting 66 with a ProV1x is capable of shooting 66 with a ProV1, even if it prefers the ProV1x.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1395098712' post='8893353']
I think you could get really, really, really, really good at golf playing a ProV1 instead of a ProV1x. Or vice versa.

Don't confuse being able to discern a slight difference with that difference mattering to your score. Anybody capable of shooting 66 with a ProV1x is capable of shooting 66 with a ProV1, even if it prefers the ProV1x.
[/quote]

Mostly I like the v1x over the v1 because the prov1 seems to ballon up more into the wind on my approach shots. I bought a few different ball models today to try out, the hex chrome and the chrome + and Srixon zx since they were all on sale for $19.99.

Titleist ProV1

[quote name='scottaz' timestamp='1395146103' post='8896047']
Where did you find Chrome+ for 19.99? New?
[/quote]

My mistake. It was the plain Chrome model, not the plus

Titleist ProV1

[quote name='Yrrdead' timestamp='1395194348' post='8901559']
I'm not sure that I would describe you as inconsistent which is what the OP asked in this thread.
[/quote]

OK guys ..... you can have the floor. I deleted all of my previous posts in this thread. I'm tired of arguing with people who have no intention of listening but prefer to throw jabs and sneers about everything I have to say. Have fun.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

[quote name='ProStryker' timestamp='1394921407' post='8878711']
Just curious how many of you find the best ball for your game if you are somewhat inconsistent with back to back to back shots? I am around a 9.5 hcap, mostly from being able to scrap around and not compound my mistakes, and good course management. I currently play a ProV1x, but wonder if there is a better ball for my game. My driver swingspeed can vary from 100-109mph. I have no problem spinning the ball on wedge shots, and can stop full shots into a green with 7 iron and higher. I hit 7 iron ~165 or so. My problem is that I can't tell which ball is better when trying to do comparisons, because I may draw an iron on one shot, then push fade the next, leading to different distance results. I may hit driver 290 on one drive, then 260 on the next due to inconsistent swings. Same with irons, may flush one, then catch the next a little heavy. I can never get a great feel for what balls compared are doing because I can't repeat the same shot time after time, unless it's with a wedge. Anyone have any ways to find a correct ball for your game if your ball striking is inconsistent? Oh, and ignore my ProStryker username, lol.
[/quote]

Same here. 9 index, used to play a ProV1 but couldn't keep the cover on it for one complete round and was loosing dimpled spheres in the junk...wast of money. Loved the spin, feel, and distance. My conclusion was if the driver was going to leave me in a bad spot then that would be the thing to change. Took a few lessons, swapped the PRO V1 for mid/low compression type balls and that has worked for the past three years.