2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

WRX SoCal - chime in

At some point you will probably have to make a run at Rustic Canyon. It seems everyone but me has done it at least once. My cousin likes DeBell (he calls it "DeGoofy" for some reason) but I have not played it. Sadly, I'll me out of play for a while (probably until mid-October) due to work travel.

Welcome to SoCal and I hope you brought some water from the canal I passed over a few times on the loop. :)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone up for unlimited rounds at Shadow Ridge in Palm Springs next Saturday 09/19??

We have two spots open to make up a foursome. The deal is from underpar; $90 for two players unlimited rounds

PM me if interesred

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='akim47' timestamp='1431722990' post='11565760']
Just ran across this thread. I've been in Irvine for many years and alas, my regular group has gave way to fatherhood and family with most guys hanging it up for now (but I suspect it will be longer). I play in a regular tournament group that plays once a month on Saturdays around soCal, but aside from that I don't have anything else and would like to play more (the young ones are 4 and 2 so life is getting better). Playing in the OC Championship @ Strawberry, not because I really want to compete, but just as an excuse to play Sat & Sun. Figured I'd check WRX to see if there were people interested in playing and here I am.

Because I do have to work, unfortunately, I'm more of a weekend player. But based on responses I've noticed 1) people are somewhat flexible on location, 2) would like to play fast and 3) desire to keep the cost down (I.e. no $300 rounds a Pelican). Sounds good to me!!! I'd figure I'd try to contribute by adding to this thread by throwing out same dates/ times/courses every now and then. I've played almost every course in and around soCal, so familiar with most tracks. I also do scour the various discount websites for deals.

Keep y'all posted, cheers!
[/quote]
Not sure what part of OC you are in but we are looking for more people for our club @ Los Serranos. Tournaments are once a month and on weekends. Skins games every week too but those are on Fridays I think. Either way I usually play on weekends in the Chino Hills, corona or OC area if you need to pair up.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. We should try to figure something out now that the holidays are coming up and people might be free during the week (much cheaper golf). Not sure how much longer I will be around home before the next trip kicks in, but given I would need a visa and don't have the required letters yet, I'm probably at least 2 weeks in the SoCal area. Let me know if anyone is playing CrossCreek, Los Serranos, maybe Goose Creek, or something else in the area including OC and Long Beach (I hear Links at Summerly is open this weekend for some "preview play" but WAY too expensive for me at $70 for a course I played for $15 a year ago and beyond).

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1448697069' post='12654890']
Yeah. We should try to figure something out now that the holidays are coming up and people might be free during the week (much cheaper golf). Not sure how much longer I will be around home before the next trip kicks in, but given I would need a visa and don't have the required letters yet, I'm probably at least 2 weeks in the SoCal area. Let me know if anyone is playing CrossCreek, Los Serranos, maybe Goose Creek, or something else in the area including OC and Long Beach (I hear Links at Summerly is open this weekend for some "preview play" but WAY too expensive for me at $70 for a course I played for $15 a year ago and beyond).
[/quote]
I have a couple discount rounds for Los Serranos I need to use before the end of December. I would also be open for Goose creek, Vellano or Glen Ivy. Also Western Hills Country Club is likely to have a Monday public play soon. $50 for a private course is good for me.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

[/quote]

I'm in Elsinore and itching for Summerly to reopen but if they think they are going to get $70 out there it will be closed again in a heartbeat. price it at $45 and they might have a chance.
in any case most of the deals I see are for twosomes and the guys I used to play with all joined Bear Creek recently so if anybody is looking for an extra player let me know.

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

[quote name='GolfyGolfy' timestamp='1448862622' post='12661938']
Anyone in SD?
[/quote]

Couple of us. I've only lived here a year but SD seems dead on here for Wrx activity and meets. Coming from AZ where we had 15-20+ group meets several times per year including Ryder cup styled events.

R15 - fuji fuel x
txxx Stage3- fuji fuel x
MP-33 black oxide ti x100
52,56,60 sm5- ctaper s+
SuperRat

[quote name='Yzmerf' timestamp='1448857113' post='12661764']
[/quote]

I'm in Elsinore and itching for Summerly to reopen but if they think they are going to get $70 out there it will be closed again in a heartbeat. price it at $45 and they might have a chance.
in any case most of the deals I see are for twosomes and the guys I used to play with all joined Bear Creek recently so if anybody is looking for an extra player let me know.
[/quote]

I was actually there on Saturday with two of my buddies and it's a good middle spot as I'm in SD. I ended up walking which was $55 and still not worth it. The greens were fine but the course is NOWHERE near being ready for primetime. I would highly recommend NOT going until they figure it out and lower the rates. They had comment cards and I basically said I got ripped off and would like a refund.

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 9*

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Callaway Epic Flash 7 wood

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58*

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour 

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

[quote name='natural_one' timestamp='1448904186' post='12663160']
[quote name='GolfyGolfy' timestamp='1448862622' post='12661938']
Anyone in SD?
[/quote]

Couple of us. I've only lived here a year but SD seems dead on here for Wrx activity and meets. Coming from AZ where we had 15-20+ group meets several times per year including Ryder cup styled events.
[/quote]

Always looking for folks to play with but I'm usually playing early in the morning so I can get back to the family.

What's funny is i checked the website and they actually show winter 2015 rates at $35. Maybe that was last winter? I read that they gave up fighting the salt in the water and over seeded with a a salt tolerant type of grass i had never heard off.

New Level SPN Milled 53 

Called Summerly this afternoon and they are open Friday, Saturday and Sunday but only taking about 40-50 players a day. She told me the fees were $69 but that they were giving a $20 discount if you provide feedback. Honestly it sounds like they are just winging it at this point.

New Level SPN Milled 53 

[quote name='Yzmerf' timestamp='1448938296' post='12665552']
Called Summerly this afternoon and they are open Friday, Saturday and Sunday but only taking about 40-50 players a day. She told me the fees were $69 but that they were giving a $20 discount if you provide feedback. Honestly it sounds like they are just winging it at this point.
[/quote]

I would highly recommend passing. It's not ready at all.

[quote name='mtex22' timestamp='1448928569' post='12664782']
San Diego here!! Rancho Bernardo area. I'm always up for a game
[/quote]

I'm in the same area!

[quote name='Damenace613' timestamp='1448948063' post='12666054']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Will do. At this point it would just be nice to just go 5 minutes to practice. I was never a huge fan of the golf course anyway. Of course it also never had any grass on it when i played it.

New Level SPN Milled 53 

[quote name='Yzmerf' timestamp='1449013201' post='12669076']
[quote name='Damenace613' timestamp='1448948063' post='12666054']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Will do. At this point it would just be nice to just go 5 minutes to practice. I was never a huge fan of the golf course anyway. Of course it also never had any grass on it when i played it.
[/quote]

I don't think the range is open yet. It wasn't open nor did they know when it would be opened up.

That sucks. was the putting green?

New Level SPN Milled 53 

Here in Anaheim. I have a pretty solid Saturday group but im open for a local round Sunday's from time to time. One of the 1st tee times or a noonish "hot deal". That leaves me family time before or after the round. Not opposed to a quick 9 or executive course either. Im not great so your patience would be necessary

[quote name='Yzmerf' timestamp='1449069091' post='12671248']
That sucks. was the putting green?
[/quote]

Yes, both greens were open

I'm over in South OC. Can get a foursome on Arroyo Trabuco for $65 starting at 11am on weekends. Always plays around 4:15 - 4:30 even mid-morning.

[color=#000000]Ping G30 LST - Ping Tour 65x[/color]
[color=#000000]Mizzy Fli-Hi 3 iron - Project X 6.0
Cobra Fly-Z Pro 4-AW - DG X100 ss1x
Vokey Wedgeworks 54* K Grind- DG S200
Ping Glide (SS) 60*/Lob Combo Grind - DG S400
Cameron Select NP2[/color]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/533027-jlevitt9s-witb-set-for-2013-possibly/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='jlevitt9' timestamp='1449203505' post='12678556']
I'm over in South OC. Can get a foursome on Arroyo Trabuco for $65 starting at 11am on weekends. Always plays around 4:15 - 4:30 even mid-morning.
[/quote]

Never seen Arroyo under $75 when I've checked the site. I might play it someday (not that far from me), but I try to play around $30 when possible and I tend to play weekdays which helps out quite a bit.

Anyone played at Redhawk since the sale/management change? Anything happen other than the loss of some of the daily last minute deals on the website? Same goes for Glen Ivy... haven't been there in years and not sure if the course is in good shape or not.

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1449220492' post='12678920']
[quote name='jlevitt9' timestamp='1449203505' post='12678556']
[/quote]

Never seen Arroyo under $75 when I've checked the site. I might play it someday (not that far from me), but I try to play around $30 when possible and I tend to play weekdays which helps out quite a bit.

Anyone played at Redhawk since the sale/management change? Anything happen other than the loss of some of the daily last minute deals on the website? Same goes for Glen Ivy... haven't been there in years and not sure if the course is in good shape or not.
[/quote]

I am up for Redhawk as well if its in decent shape. This is the golf course i moved to SoCal from Az to work at and where i got my PGA membership. That was another life ago though. I actually haven't played there in nearly 20 yrs! Like a lot of guys here though I tend to try and keep it reasonable. I guess i got spoiled when i didn't have to pay to play because now i don't want to pay more than $25 to play! I am planning a trip to Pebble next year for my 50th but i think thats going to be a bit more! lol

New Level SPN Milled 53 

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1449220492' post='12678920']
I tend to play weekdays
[/quote]

I pretty much only play weekdays if you're ever interested. I'd be willing to make a trip to OC sometime or even something like Redhawk or Arrowood if you'd be down to drive to Oceanside. I could probably drag natural_one along with me too