LIVE Q&A with True Temper & Mizuno Golf Tue. April 8 11AM ET. Ask a question win a hockey stick!

In 2011 I purchased a brand new set of (3-gw) Mizuno JPX-800 Pro irons along with 56-13 and 60-08 MP-T11 white satin wedges, all with GS 95 shafts +3/4" in length. Has the GS shaft been discontinued or replaced with the XP shaft? If so why? What are the differences between the GS shaft and the XP shaft? And the differences between the PX 95 flighted shaft and the Project PXI shaft? Would the wedge flex in the XP 105 shaft give a better result than the GS 95 shaft that I'm currently playing?

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='4dough' timestamp='1396969936' post='9046147']
Is the inside of the milled out pocket in the Mp54s prone to rusting? A lot of MX200 currently on ebay are rusty
[/quote]

The plating takes place after the milling, so they shouldn't rust, but as sets get older (200s are probably 8 years old) those hard corners of the milling are typically where a plating would break down and COULD start to rust. But honestly, they shouldn't/

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1396972622' post='9046713']
Are there any plans in the future to possibly go more into lightweight graphite shafts that offer similar characteristics of steel iron shafts? Possibly go into the 60 - 70 gram graphite iron shafts yet maintain stiff tipness to keep a lower ball flight?
[/quote]

Not likely only because stiff tip 60-70 gram graphite iron shafts would represent a very small percentage of the golf market. Most players as they go this light would need to see the additional benefits of higher trajectory. I would give our XP 95 a shot and see what you think...thanks!

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

[quote name='the_saint_siwa' timestamp='1396969983' post='9046155']
To Chris,

Since Mizuno's HQ in Japan, who has the final say when it comes to product release. What I mean by that, if you design a super cool iron and the engineer in Japan also design a product, for the upcoming release, who has more influence? The Japan or the USA group?

Thanks
Steve
[/quote]

Cool question. So typically a US engineer and a Japanese engineer will work together on any given project. It's more a team effort that the two sides competing and the collaboration usually leads to great ideas from both ends!

[quote name='Stratokatsu' timestamp='1396970053' post='9046183']
Chris - Is there some reason the Fast Track system hasn't continued in Mizuno woods, in light of the Bertha and SLDR systems introduced by other brands? I use a newer JPX driver currently, but I still love my old MP600 with the Fast Track.
[/quote]

Fast Track is a great way to move weight around and we will continue to innovate in the wood market.

[quote name='IheartNY' timestamp='1396972827' post='9046745']
What is Mizuno Golf and True Temper doing to grow the game of golf in less developed countries?
[/quote]

We have a strong international distributor network to supply our shafts into the global markets. We hope the game continues to grow elsewhere...it's in all of our best interests!

WITB

[quote name='TBall2' timestamp='1396970341' post='9046253']
I have a friend with ancient X-14s. He wants JPX-EZ but doesn't know what shaft to get. Optimizer says Dynalite Gold XP. Will that shaft be a good bridge coming from the Uniflex in his other clubs?
[/quote]

Honestly, the XP should be awesome! Not sure why anyone would want a UNIFLEX!?

[quote name='IheartNY' timestamp='1396970381' post='9046265']
How important is it for True Temper and Mizuno Golf to include youtube golf equipment testers such as Mark Crossfield and others in your new product launces?
[/quote]

The Mark Crossfield's of the world are becoming more and more popular as a viable source for unbiased information. He's definitely knowledgeable and valuable.

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1396973497' post='9046847']
[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1396972622' post='9046713']
Are there any plans in the future to possibly go more into lightweight graphite shafts that offer similar characteristics of steel iron shafts? Possibly go into the 60 - 70 gram graphite iron shafts yet maintain stiff tipness to keep a lower ball flight?
[/quote]

Not likely only because stiff tip 60-70 gram graphite iron shafts would represent a very small percentage of the golf market. Most players as they go this light would need to see the additional benefits of higher trajectory. I would give our XP 95 a shot and see what you think...thanks!
[/quote]

Thank you for responding! I'm looking forward to trying them out as I have issues with getting some height on my irons. Maybe these will do the trick.

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

[quote name='toad65' timestamp='1396970092' post='9046195']
I have the JPX825 pro irons (purchased new last summer)...but no sand wedge, what club should I order to fill that gap? I'm an 80's golfer, no handicap... Thanks
[/quote]

We make a complete line of JPX wedges along with our MP-T4's that would be great additions to your set.

[quote name='dpenjuke' timestamp='1396973299' post='9046821']
In 2011 I purchased a brand new set of (3-gw) Mizuno JPX-800 Pro irons along with 56-13 and 60-08 MP-T11 white satin wedges, all with GS 95 shafts +3/4" in length. Has the GS shaft been discontinued or replaced with the XP shaft? If so why? What are the differences between the GS shaft and the XP shaft? And the differences between the PX 95 flighted shaft and the Project PXI shaft? Would the wedge flex in the XP 105 shaft give a better result than the GS 95 shaft that I'm currently playing?
[/quote]

Yes, the GS 95 shaft has been discontinued and replaced with the XP 95. As with all advancements, the XP series is a marked improvement over the GS series. We continue to push ourselves to get better...give them a shot if you are looking to reshaft or get a new set.

The PX 95 Flighted is a descending weight shaft (gets lighter from long iron to short iron) and the PXi is a constant weight shaft (weight doesn't change throughout the set). This produces a different feel throughout the set and you will find that the PXi has a consistently lower ball flight throughout the set than the PX 95 Flighted.

WITB

[quote name='nike7227' timestamp='1396970593' post='9046311']
What does Mizuno see as the biggest challenge ahead for getting new golfers interested in the game of golf? Is there some type of initiative being worked on currently and/or moving forward? Thank you. (Btw, I love my Jpx 800 and had MX-23's for quite some time prior to that)
[/quote]

Bears.

Actually, the decline in play in the game of golf is of course a worry so we try to make the game as easy and convenient as possible through club design and access to high tech, easy to use fitting equipment.

[quote name='brittborngolf' timestamp='1396972646' post='9046715']
These are questions for both Chris the engineer at Mizuno golf clubs and True Temper Golf shaft tech.
This is for Chris,

Well since your an engineer for Mizuno golf clubs. Will we see a whole new line up of clubs next year, varying with a whole new shaft and head concept. Such as will you switch to the aerotech design of shaft? and will there ever be a bulky head design like a set of Ping i15's. Sorry to bounce around a bit, but my other question is I purchased the JPX825 pro iron's last year and I had a terrible time trying to hit the ball in the air, according to my father they aren't the game improvement iron I was hoping for, is it true that the JPX825 pro's are more of a players club? And what is a good game improvement iron for a 16 handicap girl, that can hit a men's regular steel shaft club?

This is for True Temper,

True Temper, I'm trying to figure out how come you went with a thin to thick shaft design for the golf club shafts, some of us are trying our best not to snap the club in half. Is there going to be any surprises in the future for shafts and how they are designed and manufactured? In the future will we no longer see steel and graphite shafts? I'm a steel girl all the way, and I don't want to see the steel shaft go missing in the golf shops. Also, what made your expert team of experts want to design a shaft or a hockey stick, what's the difference?

Now for the both of you. What is a proper fitting supposed to feel and be like, when being fitted for a golf club? I'm totally clueless as a 19 year old female trying to purchase either a new wedge, iron, or fairway woods, and drivers? I don't know how to feel or try to get the concept of this is how the proper way of being fitted, and if their is any way of knowing the proper golf shop; such as Golf Galaxy, or The Wide World of Golf or even Dicks sporting goods. I need your advice, due to the fact I'm done trying to figure out what is the right club for me and my club head speed.

Thanks for taking your time of your busy schedules to answer all of our questions.
[/quote]
Some great questions here. I'll take them on one by one.
Regarding shaft thickness: True Temper's Variable Wall Technology is something that sets us apart from our competitors and allows us to not only improve durability, but also manipulate stiffness and improve vibration damping depending on what player profile we are designing a particular shaft for. You shouldn't worry about shafts breaking!
Future materials: We are dedicated to researching anything that could change how shafts are designed or made. I don't think you will see steel or graphite replaced anytime soon. Combinations of both materials are already happening and other forming processes are definately being developed as we speak. Not all advancements will be easily visible but True Temper has a lot of things in the works.
Fitting: Going to a golf specialty store like Golf Galaxy is a great way to get your hands on product and compare the differences form one to another. Launch monitors allow fitters to accurately determine how one performs vs another to help narrow down the choices. You can also seek out one of our Performance Fitting Centers who have been trained specifically on all True Temper shafts. Go to the True Temper website and look for the list of PFC locations. As you are experiencing, trying to fit yourself can be extememly frustrating.

WITB

Are there plans for any limited edition shafts and/or clubs this year? Limited edition major themed gear seems to be a growing field now.

Thanks

Cobra Bio Cell+ w/ Rogue Black 110MSI
Callaway 2deep w/ Tour AD-DI 7x
X2Hot Pro Hybrid w/ Rogue Black 110MSI
Callaway Razr X Forg w/ Aldila RIP Tours
Odyssey ProType Black #9
Vokey SM5 Wedges

[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1396970724' post='9046341']
This is a two tier question for Mizuno, and True Temper. Mizuno if you look at your iron line up it almost seems that the lines are blurred between some of the ability and handicap ranges, was this intentional or a thought to enter new areas of the market. Also, in regards to stock shafts does True Temper work in concert with manufacturers in suggesting current models for sets, or is the goal many times to match up new models to new sets?
[/quote]

You're right in your observation that some of the lines are blurred between models (JPX825 pro, MP54, MP H4, etc). but each really has its target player. The 54, for example is for the guy trying to take that leap into the MP world but still needs a little bit of forgiveness. The H4 on the other hand designed to just launch the ball as high as possible. For that guy who needs that. The 825 pro is designed for more toe/heel forgiveness.

[quote name='the_saint_siwa' timestamp='1396970951' post='9046377']
[quote name='Vosh68' timestamp='1396970841' post='9046363']
[quote name='3 piece' timestamp='1396966724' post='9045667']
Mizuno: Is "JPX" an acronym for something?
[/quote]

Haha, great question. It IS an acronym for something, but I'm hesitant to say what. Any guesses?????
[/quote]

Is it Japan Performance Xtreme?
[/quote]

None of those are right, it's much lamer.

[quote name='meaks17' timestamp='1396970112' post='9046201']
I was wondering how accurate the Mizuno shaft analyzer is, could the results change day to day if your swing is on or off? Additionally have you thought about fine tuning the system more to suggest one of the shaft suggestions over the others?
[/quote]

Because the shaft optimizer measures the shaft and not the ball the results are very accurate from swing to swing. In the PFS software we offer several
shaft recommendations with the first one being weighed slightly over the others but because we are all different you need to confirm which one
is best for you.

[quote name='EMgolf' timestamp='1396974269' post='9046965']
Are there plans for any limited edition shafts and/or clubs this year? Limited edition major themed gear seems to be a growing field now.

Thanks
[/quote]

We have some fun with the limited edition shafts. We did the Ryder Cup US & Europe versions of Dynamic Gold Tour Issue and have done some other limited offerings. we don't really use them to drive sales, but just keep it fresh. Keep an eye out for what's coming...we will certainly let the GolfWrx community know first!

WITB

[quote name='kingotheworldma' timestamp='1396971385' post='9046473']
I have been playing a set of Tommy Armour 845s sine around 1998. I had a ten year layoff and am back. I play off a 13.5 right now. I think my clubs are starting to hold me back. What do you think?
My goal is to get through this year at 10 or so and get some new irons. I really love the MP 64's, but there are a few other clubs that have caught my attention as well (ie Titleist 714CB, Scratch irons, and Miura's). Sell me on the Mizuno's....
[/quote]

Technology has come a LONG way since 1998. Check out the MP54s!

[quote name='singlewhitematt' timestamp='1396970190' post='9046211']
hello - marketing question - lots of people that play mizuno irons play them for life because nothing else feels like a mizuno iron. so to expand your market do you sell mizuno players more products (woods, clothes, etc.) or do you try to reach other golfers that are not yet mizuno devotees?
[/quote]

We are trying to reach more golfers by providing eight high performance iron sets, each catering to a different type of golfer. Between the eight irons we have in our line each year, Mizuno has an iron for every type of golfer, no matter what their handicap or skill level. And they ALL feel like Mizunos!

[quote name='jimwynn' timestamp='1396971503' post='9046503']
Question about the EZ's and mizuno putters. I've hit the EZ's at the shop and have to say I am extremely impressed!

As a Ping I series player who also occasionally throws his MP69's in the bag when feeling confident, was it Mizuno's intention to bring those two worlds together? Create a cast club that is not very different than my Ping irons but infused with Mizuno's design (feel). They look very similar at address.

Also Mizuno doesn't seem to market it's putters as aggressively as say the irons. Are there plans on increasing market visibility? I've seen the putters online and they are very pretty, just never seen them in the stores. (even the high end ones)
[/quote]

The EZ line definitely speaks more to that PING type player and that wasn't an accident. Glad to hear that you like them.

As far as the putters go, our focus is more on irons currently, let's grow them and then see where the putters can go.

[quote name='tsaiki' timestamp='1396971754' post='9046557']
What's the difference between the JPX Fli-Hi hybrids (that come with the JPX iron set) verses the JPX-EZ hybrids? Thanks.
[/quote]

The JPX Fli-Hi is designed to be what we call a DLR, or a direct long iron replacement. By that I mean it has the same shaft, length, lie, loft as a traditional long iron and is just easier to hit. The Hyrids on the other hand are designed to bridge that gap between the longest iron and the FW