LIVE Q&A with True Temper & Mizuno Golf Tue. April 8 11AM ET. Ask a question win a hockey stick!

[quote name='jleclair10' timestamp='1396660444' post='9023473']
I am currently playing the JPX 825 pro irons. I have been looking at EZ forged. I was wondering what the benefit would be in moving into a EZ Forged iron? Is the EZ forged going to take over the JPX pro line or will there be a new JPX 850 pro on the horizon? By the way that hockey stick is incredible.
[/quote]

The main benefits of the EZ Forged vs. the 825 Pro's will be more forgiveness and slightly faster ball speeds.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bvmagic' timestamp='1396661280' post='9023565']
I was impressed when recently trying different shafts with a shaft optimizer last time I was able to demo Mizuno irons. With recent trends of custom grinds / bounce options on wedges, have you ever considered fitting a player to irons based on the turf interaction? Bounce angles / grinds on irons can be different depending on types of courses players play, so I was wondering if you would ever consider simplifying the a way to present how certain irons would play with different swings / turf conditions.
[/quote]

This is a great question and something that we talk about constantly. While we don't currently fit by sole grind, it's an intersting discussion point.

Question about the EZ's and mizuno putters. I've hit the EZ's at the shop and have to say I am extremely impressed!

As a Ping I series player who also occasionally throws his MP69's in the bag when feeling confident, was it Mizuno's intention to bring those two worlds together? Create a cast club that is not very different than my Ping irons but infused with Mizuno's design (feel). They look very similar at address.

Also Mizuno doesn't seem to market it's putters as aggressively as say the irons. Are there plans on increasing market visibility? I've seen the putters online and they are very pretty, just never seen them in the stores. (even the high end ones)

[quote name='2xeagle' timestamp='1396969221' post='9045987']
I have a set of JPX800PRO irons - 1 inch longer, 1 degree up - and want to know how the new EZ Forged irons are compare to what I am currently using?

Thanks,

Jim
Columbus OH
[/quote]

EZ forged should be a little bit hotter off of the face and a little bit more forgiving all while still having that Gran Flow Forged feel. Give em a swing, but make sure to get custom fit!

[quote name='Snookbytes' timestamp='1396920129' post='9042697']
True temper and mizuno, how can you guys help me from sucking at golf? My club head speed says I need a stiff shaft, but I hit senior clubs so much better. What gives
[/quote]

A proper club fitting a some time with your local PGA Pro can do wonders! Some sweet Mizuno sticks and True Temper shafts can't hurt either!

[quote name='GabrielLerman' timestamp='1396969365' post='9046019']
The Mizuno shafter optimizer is one of the coolest (and most effective) ways to dial in what shaft to use with your heads, getting that much closer to a more custom fit process. Does Mizuno/True Temper have any other tools in the works to take that to the next level?
[/quote]

Thanks! Yeah, the Shaft Optimizer really has changed the way a lot of people fit clubs. We are constantly working to improve it though and have been testing some new ideas. Let's see if they work!

[quote name='Stratokatsu' timestamp='1396921322' post='9042891']
I still have an old MP600 driver, thought I use a more modern JPX. Is there any plan for Mizuno to compete with the SLDR by re-introducing something similar to the MP600 and its Fast Track weighting system?

Also, I am curious what Mizuno uses to hold grips on shafts. It seems to be like a filmy rubber cement that rubs off so easily. I do a lot of regripping for myself and friends. I'd love something like what Mizuno uses instead of double sided masking tape. Getting old tape off is always the most difficult part of the process. What is that stuff? Is it a commercially available product I can buy?
[/quote]

A proper club fitting a some time with your local PGA Pro can do wonders! Some sweet Mizuno sticks and True Temper shafts can't hurt either!

[quote name='deck' timestamp='1396668114' post='9024221']
How did you make the EZ line the most forgiving irons out right now? The 825's were fantastic. What did you do to improve on them?
[/quote]

We like to say that we took off all the Mizuno handcuffs in creating the EZ line. In the past we have been very sensitive to head size, offset, topline, etc, but with the EZ we just decided let's pull all the levers we can to make this as forgiving as possible. The results pretty much speak for themselves. Its a truly awesome design.

[quote name='aepfeiffer' timestamp='1396968332' post='9045857']
What are the major advantages/disadvantages of the JPX EZ and EZ Forged vs the previous 825s and 825 Pros respectively?

Also for True Temper, what was the reasoning behind coming out wuth the XP 105s and others in that line vs the Dynalites or DG S300 and such?
[/quote]

Our goal is to always innovate with our new shaft offerings. The XP line combines the best of what we have learned over the past 12+ years about lightweight steel shafts in terms of feel and performance. Also, it really fills a gap we identified in the shaft market as far as weight and performance.

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

I was previously fitted by another brand and it was a disaster. I'm 6'7" tall and obviously need longer clubs, but I'm 65 years old and the high swingweight they had was impossible to swing effectively. Does Mizuno have any way to hold down the swing weight on a longer club to a level an old man like me can swing without struggling?

It's been a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

[quote name='jls4birdie' timestamp='1396915416' post='9042021']
I play the new mp4's love them. Replaced them with the mp33's. honestly toss up between the 2.

Chad- My question is how important is spined and frequency matching shafts to irons?

Chris- Q1 When ordering clubs direct to fit your specs are they spined or frequency matched?

Chris Q2 If not is there a way to do that from mizuno?
[/quote]

At Mizuno we do not frequency match or spine our shafts or even offer that survice. The reason being that we only offer the highest quality shafts available. Through our testing, those processes can make a difference on low end, low quality shafts, but on the high end stuff, it's basically negligible.

[quote name='BigDivot85' timestamp='1396969532' post='9046059']
Hi Mizuno & True Temper. I was fitted for a set of JPX irons at my local PGA Tour Superstore and was amazed at how important the shaft was related to the loft of my golf shot. Do you have any newly released shafts that will help me get more height on my approach shots?

Thanks.
[/quote]

Our new XP line (95 and 105) can definitely help you get more height on your approach shots.

WITB

[quote name='TedTill' timestamp='1396969154' post='9045981']
How do the new true temper shafts compare to KBS shafts? Where can I demo the 105 shafts with Mizuno? Currently playing M4 irons.
[/quote]

The new XP series (XP 95 & XP 105) are among the lightest and highest trajectory designs we've ever introduced. They take the very best of everything we've learned over the past 12+ years in our superlightweight steel development. If you are looking for maximum distance and high trajectory you need to give them a shot. with regards to demoing in Mizuno clubs, I would go see your local golf retailer and you should find them there. All the best.

WITB

[quote name='pinglover757' timestamp='1396970239' post='9046225']
True Temper, in your opinion,

1. Is shaft puring process really make that much difference in term of the quality of the shaft?
2. If it does, does it have a greater effect on driver or iron shaft?
[/quote]

Check out the answer to #79.

WITB

[quote name='Stratokatsu' timestamp='1396921322' post='9042891']
I still have an old MP600 driver, thought I use a more modern JPX. Is there any plan for Mizuno to compete with the SLDR by re-introducing something similar to the MP600 and its Fast Track weighting system?

Also, I am curious what Mizuno uses to hold grips on shafts. It seems to be like a filmy rubber cement that rubs off so easily. I do a lot of regripping for myself and friends. I'd love something like what Mizuno uses instead of double sided masking tape. Getting old tape off is always the most difficult part of the process. What is that stuff? Is it a commercially available product I can buy?
[/quote]
The MP600 really was ahead of its time and the track system is a great way to move weight around. We're always looking at ways to advance however. Looking forward rather than back!
As someone who loves to build clubs, you're totally right. Our tape is the best! Unfortunately it's not commercially available as it's something that is sourced for us from the Japan side.

Is True Temper going to release more hockey sticks or are these a limited promo stick?

[color=#ff8c00]Cobra BIO Cell+ 9.5* Driver Diamana D+ 72X
Cobra BIO Cell+ 3/5 Wood Diamana D+ 72X[/color]
Cobra Fly-Z Forged 4-PW KBS Tour X
Cobra Tour Trusty 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev X
Cobra Cell Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/989801-adambs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='daddyg70' timestamp='1396897576' post='9039793']
I was fit recently with the shaft optimizer and can you explain why it chose: graphite and steel Px 5.0, Orochi Red Eye Regular, Dynalite Gold SL stiff, and KBS soft step stiff? To add to that I did the shaft fit online fit tool and it chose Pxi 5.5. I'm a little confused about this!

Unfortunately, I don't have the numbers. Thank you TrueTemper, Mizuno, and GolfWRX!
[/quote]
[size=2]Based on your Swing DNA and the differences in each of those shafts, those were the best fits. A dynamic fitting like the Optimizer system measures how you load and transition the golf club which really determines what flex and tip stiffness you need. ShaftFit is a static fitting system based on how you perceive your swing to be. Through this process you have narrowed down the choices and can now try each of them to see which one gives you the best results and feels the best.[/size]

WITB

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1396735788' post='9027975']
Chris, Mizuno feels a bit like a traditionalist - certainly when compared to some of the competition. Is the look of the JPX EZ a deviation from that? What is the design purpose of the orange and black color scheme? Seems "un-mizuno" to many of us.
[/quote]

You're very right about that. We typically stay very true to ourselves and our corporate blue color scheme. With the EZ's we wanted to shatter all of the Mizuno stereotypes in terms of forgiveness and even look. The Orange/Black is at the direct opposite size of the "color wheel" from the Blue/White we've been known for. We wanted to make sure we differentiated the JPX EZ and EZ Forged from the JPX-825 and JPX-825 Pro because they are for different types of golfers. So yes, it was a conscious departure from our norm but we felt like it spoke a bit more to the JPX EZ type of player.

[quote name='TBall2' timestamp='1396970341' post='9046253']
I have a friend with ancient X-14s. He wants JPX-EZ but doesn't know what shaft to get. Optimizer says Dynalite Gold XP. Will that shaft be a good bridge coming from the Uniflex in his other clubs?
[/quote]

Yes, great choice. Tell him to enjoy the new sticks!

WITB

[quote name='BigDivot85' timestamp='1396969532' post='9046059']
Hi Mizuno & True Temper. I was fitted for a set of JPX irons at my local PGA Tour Superstore and was amazed at how important the shaft was related to the loft of my golf shot. Do you have any newly released shafts that will help me get more height on my approach shots?

Thanks.
[/quote]

We're always adding new shafts to our matrix when they are released. But it all depends on if they fill in holes in our lineups! There may be some new options in the coming months, but nothing 100% decided yet.

[quote name='Butta1266' timestamp='1396923453' post='9043157']
Mizuno: I am looking to purchase a set of JPX EZ irons. I am a new golfer and could use the help of a super game improvement iron. My question is, will I have to upgrade after I become a better golfer or are these irons good for a experienced golfer as well?
[/quote]

You can become a very established golfer with very easy to hit irons. The Ping tour staff is a perfect example of that! Loads of G25, G20, G15, G10,G5, G2 in play. Personally though, I like stepping it up one notch for the added feedback that you'll receive. Clubs that'll teach you to be a better ball striker. The like JPX EZ Forged for example.

[quote name='Snookbytes' timestamp='1396920129' post='9042697']
True temper and mizuno, how can you guys help me from sucking at golf? My club head speed says I need a stiff shaft, but I hit senior clubs so much better. What gives
[/quote]
[size=2]Swing Speed doesn’t tell the whole story and that’s what great about the Optimizer system. If softer flex shafts feel and perform better for you, it’s likely because your load profile is more moderate as opposed to fast. It’s not how fast you swing, its how you swing it fast![/size]

WITB