LIVE Q&A with True Temper & Mizuno Golf Tue. April 8 11AM ET. Ask a question win a hockey stick!

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tomtt2' timestamp='1396960978' post='9044941']
I tend to hit the ball very high with my irons. I'm currently playihg the JPX 825 with the Dynamic Gold XP shafts. Is there a shaft recommendation that might help lower ball flight?

Thanks for putting this event on. It will help us all.
[/quote]
[size=2]Dynamic Gold and Project X are both low launching shafts.[/size]

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

[quote name='bayoubogeyguy' timestamp='1396757916' post='9030117']
Thanks to GolfWRX, Mizuno and True Temper for the chance to ask a question. I play the MX200 4-GW with the True Temper XP S300's. Since they are still in the bag you know how pleased I've been with the perfect harmony between the irons and the shafts. I'm excited because after the Masters I will be undergoing a custom fitting for the JPX EZ Forged. I love the ball flight on the long and mid irons but feel the scoring club's flight is a tad high. I know Mizuno's DNA fitting process will work wonders so here's my question.H ow do I ensure a seamless transition to the new JPX EZ Forged Irons with the True Temper Shaft that will provide the high boring flight and control in the long/mid irons while lowering the scoring club's flight a tad while maintaining the consistent distance and accuracy I currently enjoy? Thanks again!
[/quote]

With the MX-200s, there is a transition in technologies between the 7 and 8 irons. On the JPX EZ Forged there is no change in technology so there should be a seamless flow throughout the set.

[quote name='jleclair10' timestamp='1396969555' post='9046061']
Chris I am playing JPX 825 Pros I played previously the JPX 800 pros. I am looking to upgrade my irons, What would the benefit for me be by moving into a EZ forged. I heard some rumors about a 850 pro is it true?
[/quote]

EZ Forged will be a bit more forgiving and a bit longer, but they are kind of a different animal (longer head length, more offset, etc.). There are rumors everywhere around, but I can't confirm or deny anything!

[quote name='SatelliteGuy' timestamp='1396923745' post='9043195']
Mizuno...

Perfect. Always top notch!

Your irons are flawless....

Did your R&D Department have much to say about the SLDR Technology being reintroduced by a competitor?

True Temper...

As a long time fan of Easton..,, I've used their Hockey Gear for as long as I could remember..... What sets your Sticks apart from the competition and WELL DONE... Those sticks look SEXY!

Thanks ahead of time Fellas.... Awesome experience to have you folks on here answering questions!
[/quote]

Answered above

[quote name='Snookbytes' timestamp='1396964900' post='9045395']
What true temper shaft is the Kbps equivalent?
[/quote]
[size=2]True Temper is proud of our expansive brand portfolio. We have shafts for nearly every player profile. From lightweight, higher launching shafts like XP 95 and XP 105 to mid weight, mid launch shafts like PXi, to Tour weight low launching shafts like Dynamic Gold and Project X. [/size]

WITB

[quote name='Vosh68' timestamp='1396970083' post='9046193']
[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1396902245' post='9040443']
Q1 for Mizuno: Any chance of increasing the lefty line? I dont consider Mizuno at all simply becuase it's slim pickings.
Q2 for Mizuno: Driver market is huge.Yet we see little to no push from Mizuno in promoting drivers & woods. Will this change any time soon and we see you guys try and take some of the marketshare?
[/quote]

We are always looking to increase our offerings to the Lefty world, and definitely hear your cries. Just keep on the lookout!
It's huge, but it's also a bloodbath. Constant markdowns, launch after launch, free FW/Hybrids with the purchase of drivers, etc. In All honesty, it doesn't line up with Mizuno's strategy. You'll see us continue to push out better and better wood offerings, but don't expect us to out Taylor Made Taylor Made, if you know what I mean.
[/quote]Got it. Thanks.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

[quote name='IheartNY' timestamp='1396971780' post='9046561']
Is Mizuno Golf a sponsor of Mark Crossfield?
[/quote]
I love crossfield! He is a Mizuno man for sure. I was surprised to see him switch to the EZ from 64's, but he raves about them all day

Mizuno MX-500 10.5* driver<br />Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 13 Degree 3 Wood(as mini-driver)<br />Titleist 910f 16.5* 3 Wood,<br />Titleist 714 CB 3-pw,<br />Scratch 50*DD wedge,<br />Cleveland 588 raw 56* wedge,<br />Odyssey #9 White Hot,<br />Snell My Tour Ball,<br />True Linkswear shoes(da bomb!)<br /><br />TAKE DEAD AIM - Harvey Penick

Mizuno, do you guys keep the old forging dies from your previous model iron heads? Any chance of bringing back the MP32 as a special limited edition release? That would be awesome and probably a huge success imo.

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
TEE XCG7 15*
Srixon Z545 4-PW
Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
John Byron DaleHead 2

[quote name='ngohiong' timestamp='1396928056' post='9043657']
Would Mizuno consider setting up their own fitting studios across the USA? I'd much rather get fit at a Mizuno fitting studio than go to a Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith.
[/quote]

We've thought about this, but that being said, we train out fitters with our fitting carts to make sure that reguardless of location you are getting a quality fit.

[quote name='WRXClarky' timestamp='1396926339' post='9043483']
[size=5][color=#ff0000][u][b]Finally Mizuno!!! Best of the Best!!![/b][/u][/color][/size]

[size=6][u][b]Questions for Chris Voshall[/b][/u][/size]. - Chris I think it is so fantastic that you actually make video reviews and explanations for the new Mizuno offerings year after year. I have several of your Youtube videos saved for reference. My question is very specific to my iron purchase for the coming year. I am 45 years old 8 handicap and playing the JPX 825 Pro w/Dynalite XP S300 shafts. Standard everything. Last year on a whim I hit a friend's JPX 800 HD which I did not hit when getting fit for the 825 Pros. I really liked the results from many shots from the 800 HD compared to my 825's. This made me decide to get new irons to make my game a little easier in the next month. My choices are as follows.

1) Stay with JPX 825 Pro
2) JPX 800 HD
3) JPX EZ
4) JPX EZ Forged

I have seen many ask a similar question many times but we never get a definitive answer. Please rank the above clubs in terms of

1) Forgiveness
2) Consistency in Regards to distance control
3) Launch

If you could take a minute to answer this, this would save me and countless others on here so much time, to settle this never ending debate that never gets solved. I know it could be different for everyone's swing, but just in relative terms from Mizuno, where would they rank. I have created a chart where you could just insert your answers to save you some time. Add any explanations,etc if you can!

[color=#ff0000][b]Forgiveness [/b][/color]
[color=#ff0000][b]1)[/b][/color]
[color=#ff0000][b]2)[/b][/color]
[color=#ff0000][b]3)[/b][/color]
[color=#ff0000][b]4)[/b][/color]

[color=#ff0000][b]Distance Consistency[/b][/color]
[color=#ff0000][b]3) [/b][/color]

[color=#ff0000][b]Launch (Highest to Lowest)[/b][/color]
[color=#ff0000][b]3)[/b][/color]

[u][color=#ff0000][b]Comments on above. [/b][/color][/u]

[size=6][u][b]For True Temper:[/b][/u] [/size]How do the new XP 95/105 shafts compare to the old Dynalite XP shafts in the same flex. What differences would we notice with a change from one to the other.

Thanks guys!
[/quote]

Wow, a super fan! Glad you love the videos!
OK, I'll do my best. Lots of pressure.
If you're looking for forgiveness and liked the HDs, go straight for the EZ. It's the HD on 'roids.
Forgiveness rank: EZ, HD, Forged, Pro
Distance control rank: Pro, Forged, HD, EZ (this is a big misleading though because forgivness plays into distance control)
Launch: EZ, HD, Pro, Forged

Let me know what you think!

Are there any plans in the future to possibly go more into lightweight graphite shafts that offer similar characteristics of steel iron shafts? Possibly go into the 60 - 70 gram graphite iron shafts yet maintain stiff tipness to keep a lower ball flight?

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

These are questions for both Chris the engineer at Mizuno golf clubs and True Temper Golf shaft tech.
This is for Chris,

Well since your an engineer for Mizuno golf clubs. Will we see a whole new line up of clubs next year, varying with a whole new shaft and head concept. Such as will you switch to the aerotech design of shaft? and will there ever be a bulky head design like a set of Ping i15's. Sorry to bounce around a bit, but my other question is I purchased the JPX825 pro iron's last year and I had a terrible time trying to hit the ball in the air, according to my father they aren't the game improvement iron I was hoping for, is it true that the JPX825 pro's are more of a players club? And what is a good game improvement iron for a 16 handicap girl, that can hit a men's regular steel shaft club?

This is for True Temper,

True Temper, I'm trying to figure out how come you went with a thin to thick shaft design for the golf club shafts, some of us are trying our best not to snap the club in half. Is there going to be any surprises in the future for shafts and how they are designed and manufactured? In the future will we no longer see steel and graphite shafts? I'm a steel girl all the way, and I don't want to see the steel shaft go missing in the golf shops. Also, what made your expert team of experts want to design a shaft or a hockey stick, what's the difference?

Now for the both of you. What is a proper fitting supposed to feel and be like, when being fitted for a golf club? I'm totally clueless as a 19 year old female trying to purchase either a new wedge, iron, or fairway woods, and drivers? I don't know how to feel or try to get the concept of this is how the proper way of being fitted, and if their is any way of knowing the proper golf shop; such as Golf Galaxy, or The Wide World of Golf or even Dicks sporting goods. I need your advice, due to the fact I'm done trying to figure out what is the right club for me and my club head speed.

Thanks for taking your time of your busy schedules to answer all of our questions.

[quote name='MNNikeGuy' timestamp='1396970528' post='9046295']
True Temper-

How is it that the DG shafts are still the number one shaft in the world? With all the money spent on technology and research these days, you'd think you or someone else would make a better performing shaft. DG shafts fit everyone and have stood the test of time. PX shafts are great but hurt my elbow so I went back to the trusted DG. How do PXi compare? I've played every shaft out and I always go back to the DG. This year I'm going to try the Modus3.

I'm just amazed that these shafts are on beatable.

Why is that?

Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile
[/quote]

That's a great question and I wish I had the answer so we could create the next Dynamic Gold!! it's just a shaft that has the perfect weight, balance, trajectory control and performance. That's why it still dominates each week on the PGA Tour. In fact, of the 21 official FedEx cup events in the 2013-2014 season so far, 16 of those events were won with Dynamic Gold.

We push ourselves to "build a better beast" if you will. We target specific player profiles when developing new products as evidenced by the new XP series. However, when it comes to the best "tour" caliber iron shafts, all the other shafts out there including those in our product line, play a supporting role to the one and only Dynamic Gold.

Thanks for your support!

WITB

[quote name='PingDrv00' timestamp='1396970724' post='9046341']
This is a two tier question for Mizuno, and True Temper. Mizuno if you look at your iron line up it almost seems that the lines are blurred between some of the ability and handicap ranges, was this intentional or a thought to enter new areas of the market. Also, in regards to stock shafts does True Temper work in concert with manufacturers in suggesting current models for sets, or is the goal many times to match up new models to new sets?
[/quote]
From True Temper's perspective, we definately encourage either scenario. There are many times we work directly with the manufacturer to develop a specific shaft just for their new wood or iron launch. More often these days, we are bringing new designs to our OEM partners. It is to both of our benefit to launch new iron shafts with the newest iron sets.

WITB

As along time Mizuno "addict", I just love the feel and playability o fthe irons. I am still playing MP-9's but with age, finding the diminshed sweetspot is shrinking. Would these new player irons JPX EZ allow me to still shape the ball and feel the shots like I do in the MP-9's? Keep up the great work.
Rob from toronto

[quote name='FutureSuper' timestamp='1396970017' post='9046165']
How much will shaft optimizer suggestions change if the same player hits off a mat and then actual turf?

I personally do not enjoy hitting off of mats however I was fit using the shaft optimizer on a mat.
[/quote]

There will be no difference in the readings hitting off a mat verses actual turf. Hit where you feel confrontable.

[quote name='IheartNY' timestamp='1396971337' post='9046465']
True Temper, in the future will True Temper offer putter shafts similiar to UST Mamiya frequency filtered or Matrix PZ graphite putter shafts?
[/quote]

The complexity of putter shafts is more in the specific bends required to achieve proper lie, loft and offset. While the technologies mentioned above are unique, they target a very small percentage of the overall market. Our goal is to always balance R&D expense with the highest possible return on investment. We are always seeking technological advancement in all categories, but that advancement must achieve an economical target to give us widespread consumer acceptance.

WITB

[quote name='hankmoody' timestamp='1396969909' post='9046137']
I play the JPX EZ irons non forged, and think they are terrific. I also enjoy two MPT-4 forged wedges, and like the feel.

Chris: If I wanted to upgrade/customize my irons by adding JPX EZ forged, where should/could I make the break? At the 8i (so add 8i,9i,PW) in forged?

Also wanted to say as a longtime PING iron guy, but not good enough for the MP line, I congratulate Mizuno on the JPX series.
[/quote]

Thanks so much! And Ping makes great stuff, but glad our new JPX line is speaking to your type of player. Personally, I'd make the switch between the 6/7 irons.

[quote name='naomidaddy' timestamp='1396971538' post='9046513']
Hi guys. Question is for Chad. Why should we get a different shaft for our wedges? Thanks
[/quote]
There are a number of opinions about this. A lot of it comes down to the individual and the feel he/she is trying to achieve in wedges. Jack Nicklaus for example was known to play R400 shafts in his wedges. New shafts like DG Spinner were created specifically to increase spin and reduce launch in today's new grooves. Of course Dynamic Gold is the standard for wedge shafts on Tour. It all comes down to being fit for the best shaft for you!

WITB