LIVE Q&A with True Temper & Mizuno Golf Tue. April 8 11AM ET. Ask a question win a hockey stick!

[quote name='IheartNY' timestamp='1396971780' post='9046561']
Is Mizuno Golf a sponsor of Mark Crossfield?
[/quote]

We are NOT a sponsor of Mark Crossfield, we're just lucky enough that he loves our product. He is very smart and stays neutral when it comes to clubs and doesn't want to be tied to one manufacturer as this would take LOADS away from his credibility. We do take his insight very seriously though and he knows his stuff..

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='hankmoody' timestamp='1396971795' post='9046565']
What are the differences between the JPX EZ and JPX EZ forged? Is a matched set a good idea, with forged in the higher irons for feel?
[/quote]

Mixing a set could work out quite nicely just know that there will be a rather large transition in terms of topline and sole thickness. If I were to break a set, I'd split it between the 6/7

[quote name='Stratokatsu' timestamp='1396971799' post='9046567']
I was previously fitted by another brand and it was a disaster. I'm 6'7" tall and obviously need longer clubs, but I'm 65 years old and the high swingweight they had was impossible to swing effectively. Does Mizuno have any way to hold down the swing weight on a longer club to a level an old man like me can swing without struggling?
[/quote]

At 6'7" it'll be difficult to keep the swing weight low, but we do offer different head weights (B Weight) for longer length clubs that will help some! How much over length do you play?

[quote name='GabrielLerman' timestamp='1396970267' post='9046231']
I play the JPX825 Pro's with DG S300's. How often to recommend checking the lofts and lies? I practice/play 3-5 times per week and this includes some range time off of the mats.

Also, I swapped out my 4i and 5i for the MP-H4 versions. What lofts do you recommend to match them best to the 6i in the JPX825 Pro?

Thanks guys!
[/quote]

Thank you for playing Mizuno. If you practice a lot your lies might flatten over time if you hit off mats. The loft should be ok. I would recommed to check
them every 6 months. As far as the MP H4's lofts matching the JPX 825 Pros you will need to strengthen them 1 degree to match up.

[quote name='Vosh68' timestamp='1396970841' post='9046363'][quote name='3 piece' timestamp='1396966724' post='9045667']
Mizuno: Is "JPX" an acronym for something?
[/quote]

Haha, great question. It IS an acronym for something, but I'm hesitant to say what. Any guesses?????[/quote]

Ok one more guess and then you must go lame for us. Joe's (as in average) Pro Experience

[quote name='4Golfer' timestamp='1396972268' post='9046625']
Is it worth the extra expense for a 16 handicapper to go to the forged JXP EZ vs the steel shafts? What benefit will I see?
[/quote]

Kinda depends on how much you want to work on your game. The forged will give you more feedback and feel and will teach you to be a better ball striker but it is more demanding...

I'm thinking about building a Mizuno combo set consisting of MP 64s, MP 53s and H4.
MP 64s (7-PW)
MP 53s (4-6)
H4 (3 iron)

What are your thoughts of this combo setup for a golfer that needs a bit of forgiveness for the longer irons? Also, If I were to add MP 54s or MP 4s, where should I add/remove clubs in this setup? or should I just prevent the headache and just go with the JPX-EZ set?

[quote name='IheartNY' timestamp='1396972427' post='9046677']
Matt Jones used a Mizuno Fli-Hi 2 iron to win at the Shell Houston Open. What are your thoughts on Matt Jones' use of the Mizuno Fli-Hi instead of a Titleist 712U 2 iron? Every club in his bag was a Titleist except for the Mizuno.
[/quote]

Ha, I didn't even realize that. Great! That MP Fli-Hi 2 iron is a beast and lots of guys are playing it out on tour. Thanks for the info!

[quote name='pinglover757' timestamp='1396970239' post='9046225']
True Temper, in your opinion,

1. Is shaft puring process really make that much difference in term of the quality of the shaft?
2. If it does, does it have a greater effect on driver or iron shaft?
[/quote]

Golf is a game of confidence. If having your shafts pured provides added confidence then you should do it. However, we have found no statistical performance advantage by aligning the so-called "spine" in the head.

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

[quote name='HiSpeed48' timestamp='1396972451' post='9046679']
Mizuno, do you guys keep the old forging dies from your previous model iron heads? Any chance of bringing back the MP32 as a special limited edition release? That would be awesome and probably a huge success imo.
[/quote]

We have SOME of the molds for the old irons, but once they wear down we don't create new ones (forging molds only have a certain number of hits in them before they start to wear).
As for a limited run, it's typically not our style. If it's good enough to be limited edition, it's good enough for mass production.

[quote name='Vosh68' timestamp='1396975710' post='9047203']
[quote name='IheartNY' timestamp='1396972427' post='9046677']
Matt Jones used a Mizuno Fli-Hi 2 iron to win at the Shell Houston Open. What are your thoughts on Matt Jones' use of the Mizuno Fli-Hi instead of a Titleist 712U 2 iron? Every club in his bag was a Titleist except for the Mizuno.
[/quote]

Ha, I didn't even realize that. Great! That MP Fli-Hi 2 iron is a beast and lots of guys are playing it out on tour. Thanks for the info!
[/quote]

Here's the GolfWRX article on Matt Jones' WITB win a the Shell Houston Open [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/105074/matt-jones-witb/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...att-jones-witb/[/url]

[quote name='brittborngolf' timestamp='1396972646' post='9046715']
These are questions for both Chris the engineer at Mizuno golf clubs and True Temper Golf shaft tech.
This is for Chris,

Well since your an engineer for Mizuno golf clubs. Will we see a whole new line up of clubs next year, varying with a whole new shaft and head concept. Such as will you switch to the aerotech design of shaft? and will there ever be a bulky head design like a set of Ping i15's. Sorry to bounce around a bit, but my other question is I purchased the JPX825 pro iron's last year and I had a terrible time trying to hit the ball in the air, according to my father they aren't the game improvement iron I was hoping for, is it true that the JPX825 pro's are more of a players club? And what is a good game improvement iron for a 16 handicap girl, that can hit a men's regular steel shaft club?

This is for True Temper,

True Temper, I'm trying to figure out how come you went with a thin to thick shaft design for the golf club shafts, some of us are trying our best not to snap the club in half. Is there going to be any surprises in the future for shafts and how they are designed and manufactured? In the future will we no longer see steel and graphite shafts? I'm a steel girl all the way, and I don't want to see the steel shaft go missing in the golf shops. Also, what made your expert team of experts want to design a shaft or a hockey stick, what's the difference?

Now for the both of you. What is a proper fitting supposed to feel and be like, when being fitted for a golf club? I'm totally clueless as a 19 year old female trying to purchase either a new wedge, iron, or fairway woods, and drivers? I don't know how to feel or try to get the concept of this is how the proper way of being fitted, and if their is any way of knowing the proper golf shop; such as Golf Galaxy, or The Wide World of Golf or even Dicks sporting goods. I need your advice, due to the fact I'm done trying to figure out what is the right club for me and my club head speed.

Thanks for taking your time of your busy schedules to answer all of our questions.
[/quote]

From my end:
It's unlikely that we'll switch to an Aerotech shaft given that it's design really only lends itself to a very specific type player.
Our closest to an i15 type is actually really the 825 Pros. Very similar in head length and size but more forgiving
If launch angle is the issue, I'd take a look at an MPH4 type club.

The main thing for fitting is to find someone who seems knowledgeable enough to explain to you the "why" of club fitting. Someone willing to take their time and examine what you're looking to get out of your game.

I currently have 825 Pros and am looking for something more forgiving. You've mentioned heel/toe forgiveness on the 825 Pros as a focus for them, for me I struggle with digging. Would a JPX EZ be ideal, or would an EZ Forged also have a wide enough sole to help with that?

Christian, husband, father, golfer
www.bellaflies.org

[quote name='the_saint_siwa' timestamp='1396972856' post='9046751']
What about Mizuno golf ball? I was looking at some Japanese site and apparently Mizuno makes golf balls. Any plan bring them to the states?

Thank you
Steve
[/quote]

We do make them in Asia and are currently selling them in Europe as well. That market is BRUTAL though so in the short term, don't expect to see the ball in the states, but who knows. Anything could happen.

I've played the MP ball for a while as well and it's quite good!

[quote name='Masters1999' timestamp='1396972996' post='9046771']
As along time Mizuno "addict", I just love the feel and playability o fthe irons. I am still playing MP-9's but with age, finding the diminshed sweetspot is shrinking. Would these new player irons JPX EZ allow me to still shape the ball and feel the shots like I do in the MP-9's? Keep up the great work.
Rob from toronto
[/quote]

MP-9s...WOW! The EZ won't be able to work it quite as much, but if you can dig out some old Balata balls you'll be right there.

[quote name='JollyGreenBucket' timestamp='1396970332' post='9046249']
Hello, I was wondering what you felt was critical to True Temper's longevity? For Mizuno, where do you think you can gain ground with the rest of the bag?
[/quote]

At True Temper, we are driven to innovate. We never rest on past product success or expect any future success to be given to us because of who we are today. We want to be relevant 100 years from now because of the products that we bring to market to meet the ever-changing demands of the golf consumer. We work closely with all of our OEM partners to make sure that our product road map is on trend with theirs.

WITB

Thanks everyone for joining us today for our Q&A. We loved getting all your questions! We will keep checking back to make sure we didn't miss any.

Enjoy following the Masters this week!

WITB

[quote name='IheartNY' timestamp='1396974178' post='9046953']
Does Mizuno Golf have any future plans to acquire a reputable putter maker, such as Kia Ma, or a small boutique putter manufacture, such as Bettinardi, to try to gain market share and dominate the golf equiipment market?
[/quote]

No current plans. As far as putter design goes, we can make some pretty sweet ones ourselves!