2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

LIVE Q&A with True Temper & Mizuno Golf Tue. April 8 11AM ET. Ask a question win a hockey stick!

[quote name='Vosh68' timestamp='1396969512' post='9046057'][quote name='Kadin 25' timestamp='1396848037' post='9036501']
The JPX EZ line of irons are being marketed as the largest sweet spot in its golf. How difficult is it to carry that over to a "players" iron?
[/quote]

We make some of the largest sweet spot "players" irons as well, where if gets deficult though is defining the line as to where a club goes from players to game improvement. But put the 54s and H4s up against any player's clubs. They have the largest sweet spots![/quote]Thank you for the reply :)

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ingespinoza1' timestamp='1396902043' post='9040399']
Is TT considering progressing to "steel fiber" type technology? why? why not?
Thanks-
[/quote]
[size=2]Long ago True Temper introduced multi-material shafts (Bimatrx, Epic) for woods. Today we believe that steel alloy is still the best option in irons for reasons stated in other posts. Think about why the graphite shaft companies are utilizing “metals” in their designs.[/size]

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

[quote name='JCool' timestamp='1396946525' post='9044411']
This question is for True Temper:

I noticed on your website, ShaftFit.com, that virtually every recommended iron shaft, other than Dynamic Gold, has the taper tip .355 diameter.
It used to be that True Temper (and Rifle) were commonly made in the .370 parallel tip, but one can't seem to find this tip in the new True Temper models.
I think all of the new XP shafts are taper tip only.
Most component clubheads are made with a .370 bore. And shafts are sold as components and commonly used by clubbuilders who purchase those component clubheads.
Why isn't True Temper making more of the new shafts available in the .370 parallel tip diameter?
[/quote]

[size=4]The market doesn’t demand parallel tip the same way it demands taper, so we are always trying to meet the demands of the market. Plus you can put a taper tip into a parallel head using a shim without effecting performance.[/size]

WITB

[quote name='Nick6771' timestamp='1396603754' post='9017393']
Chris V recently participitated in a similar Q&A on the Mizuno Forum, he came as a very knowledgable and nice chap - make good use of him !

Now if only I could think of a question.....

Ok - Thought of a question

Chris - What's your opinion of the SLDR?
[/quote]

The me the SLDR is a good driver for a particular player, but a really bad driver for a lot of players using them. The spin rates are so low with it that if you have crazy high head speed, it could be great, but for the average guy the low spin could easily be robbing you of carry distance.

[quote name='OriginalBooneMan' timestamp='1396915067' post='9041971']
Chris: Mizuno is quite a traditional company in regards to looks, technology, brand identity and marketing. With all the advancements in club performance in the past 5 years such as adjust this, move that and design your own. I personally like hidden technology and appreciate aesthetics. Have your team of R&D and marketing guys felt pressure to conform or compromise core values to what's hot and hip in the current wave of the club and marketing scheme of golf? Thanks for taking time to share with us today.
[/quote]

Awesome question because this leads to one of the key reasons I love Mizuno. We're all golfers internally. We're driven by golfers, not by marketing. As a result you see that we stick to our core values much stronger than many of our competitors. There are products out there that just scream "marketing hype" while in the Mizuno world, we want the technology to work with the aesthetics rather than be the aesthetics.

[quote name='Vosh68' timestamp='1396970841' post='9046363']
[quote name='3 piece' timestamp='1396966724' post='9045667']
Mizuno: Is "JPX" an acronym for something?
[/quote]

Haha, great question. It IS an acronym for something, but I'm hesitant to say what. Any guesses?????
[/quote]

Is it Japan Performance Xtreme?

[quote name='JackVagolfer' timestamp='1396924834' post='9043305']
I am interested in a set of JPX 825 irons with steel shafts. I currently own MX 23's with stock graphite shafts. In the JPX 825's, what would be the difference between the Dynalite stock and the XP 95 or 105 shafts? thanks.
[/quote]

See post #200

WITB

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1396966834' post='9045677']
With all of the excitement over your irons from your 'buttery' blades to the GI's we haven't seen Mizuno compete in the Driver space. The MP-650 could be a great club but it seems that the lack of adjustability (not a bad thiing IMHO) maybe makes it an afterthought for those who aren't aware of the brand. When I got fit there were Mizuno irons everywhere but when I asked try the MP-650 they did not have one. Is there a plan to market this more and to make it more available to those who want to try it?
[/quote]

Yeah, the 650 driver game plan was to make the "Blade" of drivers, hence the no adjustability, no nonsense. That being said we are now working on high tech drivers because that's really what the golfer is demanding. Just want and see some exciting stuff is coming down the Mizuno driver pipeline.

[quote name='jls4birdie' timestamp='1396915416' post='9042021']
I play the new mp4's love them. Replaced them with the mp33's. honestly toss up between the 2.

Chad- My question is how important is spined and frequency matching shafts to irons?

Chris- Q1 When ordering clubs direct to fit your specs are they spined or frequency matched?

Chris Q2 If not is there a way to do that from mizuno?
[/quote]

[size=2]Both services are great for measuring the consistency of the iron set.[/size]

WITB

[quote name='TrueTemper' timestamp='1396970099' post='9046199'][quote name='xerpro' timestamp='1396886128' post='9038459']
Long time fan of mizuno, and true temper. Thanks for coming on.
I would like to say, that if Im chosen to win the hockey stick, one of my friends from the great white north will have to show me what to do with it. We didnt have hockey in SC.

Anyhow.....Chris.....I have heard great things about the newest line of woods, the JPX EZ. Did you guys move the weight lower and forward to reduce spin? I have a buddy that has been raving about this head for several weeks, and he believed that to be true. I just havent heard yet.

Chad- What are the plans for the premium graphite shaft? As we see more stronger players gravitate towards high density graphite, just wanted to see where you guys were heading..

Thanks for the opportunity
[/quote]

[i]I assume you’re asking about iron shafts? If so, we are always investigating the right product opportunities. Graphite irons are tricky simply because we believe completely in the benefits of steel iron shafts. We certainly believe in the merits of graphite with woods and hybrids and are having a lot of fun with the new Project X LZ Hand Crafted series. If the market tells us clearly that we should pursue graphite irons we will do so…however, at this point only 2-4% of the best players in the world trust graphite irons each week. Therefore our focus remains making the best high performance alloy shafts in the world…both for the stronger players (DG / PX series) and the average player (XP series).[/i][/quote]

Ok, thanks for the response. I played the nunchuk shaft last year, and have been having success with the recoil in my wedges this year. Just curious to see what TT position was.

Taylormade M5 Tour 9* AD-VR 6
Callaway Steelhead XR 16* Ahina 60X
Tour Edge EXS220 18* Ventus
Adams MB2 RAW 5-PW Smoke KBS Tour 120
MD4 Raw 50/58/62 
Piretti Cortino 2

[quote name='ram01002' timestamp='1396966171' post='9045595']
What graphite shaft does True Temper offer with the closest bend profile to project x? I love the butt stiffness of project x and would like the same for my driver.

Thanks!
[/quote]

[size=4]The Project X graphite blue shafts have an identical bend profile to the steel Project X shafts. They are a great option for someone who wants the same features from steel to graphite.[/size]

WITB

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1396609126' post='9017501']
What are the chances of the wedges becoming available in more lofts and/ or finishes in left handed?

During the hockey stick product testing have you discussed offering custom fitting for lie, flex and curve? I had a brief discussion with Tom Fisher from Taylormade last night about the RBZ hockey sticks and asked him a similar question.
[/quote]

This is something that we are really taking a good look at and through our custom department you actually can have a lot of the wedges dialed in farther than just the lofts available off the rack. Plus or minus 2 degrees.

[quote name='billdcatt40' timestamp='1396924477' post='9043261']
I'm currently gaming Forgan irons with r300 shafts.I'm considering replacing the shafts with Project X PXI 5.5's.What kind of difference will that make in my swing speed and ball flight?
[/quote]
[size=2]From what you are currently playing, PXi 5.5 will be one flex stiffer (R300 vs S flex). With a reduction in overall shaft weight you could create more speed and more distance. Ball flight could be reduced slightly due to the stiffer flex.[/size]

WITB

[quote name='aepfeiffer' timestamp='1396968332' post='9045857']
What are the major advantages/disadvantages of the JPX EZ and EZ Forged vs the previous 825s and 825 Pros respectively?

Also for True Temper, what was the reasoning behind coming out wuth the XP 105s and others in that line vs the Dynalites or DG S300 and such?
[/quote]

EZ and EZ forged were really trying to speak to a different player than the 825/825 pro. We went for a confidence inspiring, just crazy easy to hit straight club with the EZ line as opposed to our Broad Appeal approach with the 825 sets.

[quote name='jls4birdie' timestamp='1396915416' post='9042021']
I play the new mp4's love them. Replaced them with the mp33's. honestly toss up between the 2.

Chad- My question is how important is spined and frequency matching shafts to irons?

Chris- Q1 When ordering clubs direct to fit your specs are they spined or frequency matched?

Chris Q2 If not is there a way to do that from mizuno?
[/quote]

At Mizuno we do not frequency match or spine our shafts or even offer that survice. The reason being that we only offer the highest quality shafts available. Through our testing, those processes can make a difference on low end, low quality shafts, but on the high end stuff, it's basically negligible.

[quote name='jayrayray7' timestamp='1396928642' post='9043721']
For Mizuno- I have lately taken an intrest in club design and would like to know afew things. First, can you show a comparison of your competitors tech and how yours is better. Second, and this is somthing I have always wanted to know, do the designs on the backside of the face actually do any thing to increase performance? Third and last, what led you to choose orange and black as your colors?

For True Temper- How much of a difference does shaft flex in my irons make on my swing.

Thanks to Mizuno and True Temper for answering our questions!
[/quote]
[size=2]Shaft flex is one of the three most important shaft characteristics to consider when choosing the right shaft with weight and bend point being the other two. Playing a shaft that is too stiff for example can create bad swing habits based on over swinging in order to properly load the shaft.[/size]

WITB

[quote name='Zapp Brannigan' timestamp='1396636508' post='9021005']
Hey, two sports right in my wheelhouse!

Golf:
--Has there been any discussion on making the JPX-EZ Forged in left-handed? Considering several other manufacturers are expanding their "players' game improvement" offerings to include southpaw (Adams and the XTD Forged, continuing rumors that Nike will be making the VRS Forged for LH), what are the cost considerations/technical hang-ups in making forged clubs like this for LH players?

Hockey:
--What was the decision like to turn True Temper into a named manufacturer instead of a partner (like with inline manufacturer Alkali, whose sticks a player I know--Cory Kettler, formerly of the Tier III Jr A St Louis Jr Blues and currently on Alkali's sponsored inline team--has highly recommended) or OEM, especially given how many newer companies are entering the hockey business in the last few years?
[/quote]

I addressed the left handed question above.

[quote name='mtiger10' timestamp='1396963053' post='9045157']
Thanks for this opportunity. My mishits with irons are generally fat shots (don't shift my weight to front foot like I need to). Would adjusting the length of the shaft (true temper staff) or the lie angle of the clubhead (Mizuno staff) help with that problem?
[/quote]

Adjusting the length on your shafts could help, but I would recommend you get your current equipment checked out with a club fitter. Finding the right lengths for your shafts is part of the club fitting process.

WITB

[quote name='861w' timestamp='1396968974' post='9045959']
I am currently using Mizuno MP 53 irons and love it.
My only complaint is that while i love the feel and thin top line of MP 53 irons, I am not getting distance i used to get when i was using game
improving irons. The distance i am losing is too significant that i am considering switching back to either game improving irons or distance players irons such as Callaway Apex
Will Mizuno come up with some types of distance players clubs in the future?
[/quote]

The market for a distance player's iron is getting larger and larger. If you're in the market for something like that, check out the 825 Pros or the MPH4s. Also, always be aware of the lofts of clubs you're comparing.

[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1396643786' post='9021947']
Despite the inroads made by the JPX line, Mizuno is still predominantly known for their muscleback blades. What would you say to a bogey golfer who's in the market for JPX irons but Mizuno doesn't come to mind for them?
[/quote]

The main thing I would say to the average guy is that they just give us a try and decide for yourself! Our JPX EZ have larger MOIs and larger sweet areas than anything on the market. While people know us for our forgings, we honestly make some of the most forgiving irons on the planet. But as I said, don't take our word for it, put us up against anything else out there.

[quote name='someon3' timestamp='1396915500' post='9042045']
Question is for Chris Voshall,

What is Mark Crossfield like IRL? And follow up: Who wins in a fight between you two, you've got a MP-69 2 iron and Mark has a 56* wedge.

I'm also curious about whether Luke Donald is tall enough to get on all the rides at Disneyland.

Big Mizuno fan here btw, my mp-64's are the best irons I've ever owned, keep up the good work.

and yeah, I just wanted to be entered into the giveaway, I'm also a fan of free Mizuno swag....
[/quote]

Haha, this is great! Mark Crossfield is great in real life. His internet personality isn't an act, that's just him. What I will say is that he is a REALLY smart guy and truly understands not only his audience, but internet marketing as a whole.
In the fight I have to say that with my MP69 2 iron length advantage, I'd win that fight! He's surely scrappy through! LET'S GET STUCK IN!
Luke is a bigger boy than you'd think! Especially now, he seems to have been hitting the gym a good amount. He just looks small because there is no shortage of giants out there on the PGA Tour!

I have been playing a set of Tommy Armour 845s sine around 1998. I had a ten year layoff and am back. I play off a 13.5 right now. I think my clubs are starting to hold me back. What do you think?
My goal is to get through this year at 10 or so and get some new irons. I really love the MP 64's, but there are a few other clubs that have caught my attention as well (ie Titleist 714CB, Scratch irons, and Miura's). Sell me on the Mizuno's....

Mizuno MX-500 10.5* driver<br />Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 13 Degree 3 Wood(as mini-driver)<br />Titleist 910f 16.5* 3 Wood,<br />Titleist 714 CB 3-pw,<br />Scratch 50*DD wedge,<br />Cleveland 588 raw 56* wedge,<br />Odyssey #9 White Hot,<br />Snell My Tour Ball,<br />True Linkswear shoes(da bomb!)<br /><br />TAKE DEAD AIM - Harvey Penick