2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

LIVE Q&A with True Temper & Mizuno Golf Tue. April 8 11AM ET. Ask a question win a hockey stick!

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1396870514' post='9036935']
I really like how you can ask these questions ahead of time now... Thanks.

Question regarding both Mizuno and TT:

Has the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer software/program been updated with all the new shafts (including TT) yet? I have yet to have anyone get fit into the DG PRO's yet.

Also, for TT: If I were to build a driver on Callaway's website, what are specs of the "TT PX Handcrafted" that would be installed (in stiff)? Looking on WRX, there seems to be at least two "handcrafted" models?

Thanks in Advance, and I look forward to hearing the answers to these, and looking through other's Q/A.
[/quote]

Each year Mizuno updates the Shaft Optimizer software to incorporate all of the new offerings within our lineup.

[quote name='Levell' timestamp='1396903430' post='9040567']
Hello Chris and Chad,

These ones are for Chris:
1. How has the reception and sale of the new EZ line been compared to your expectations? Seeing that the new EZ line with the orange and the black finish (which I love by the way) was a bit bold compared to the traditional Mizuno look. Do you think the release would have been more successful if you had gone with the traditional Mizuno style?
2. Does Mizuno have any plans on entering the putter market in the US again in the near future? Big fan of the MP-T series.
[/quote]

As mentioned above, the sales have been great of the EZ line! It's definitely in contrast to the traditional Mizuno look, but that was by design. We saw this line as an extension of the JPX
Putters are mentioned above. No plans as of this moment, but they are great clubs!

[quote name='JPNC1977' timestamp='1396542064' post='9011691']
Do you mind speaking about the current offering of JPX-EZ fairway which is definitely deeper and larger than my current gamer, the MP Titanium, and it's playability off the turf? None of the current offerings from Callaway, Nike, TM, etc have been able to kick my MP out of the bag.
[/quote]

The EZ is definitely a different animal compared to the MP Titanium. The key focus on the EZ was ease of launch + forgiveness. The MP Titanium on the other hand was a distance focus. If you look at the timing, you could even call it a precursor to the whole FW distance craze. It's a very high ball speed, low spin design.

[quote name='Goldenhawk' timestamp='1396546491' post='9012337']
What makes the XP 95s, 105s, etc. special and different than te Tour favorite, the Dynamic Golds. It seems that a lot or OEMs, not just Mizuno, are using the XP 95s as their stock shafts in game improvement iron sets.
[/quote]

[i]Our XP line is great for a player who wants game improvement, and that applies to players at every level of the game. In terms of comparing it to Dynamic Gold, it is a very different shaft. To start, it is much lighter…95 and 105 grams versus around 130 grams. XP shafts give you a high ball flight while Dynamic Gold is a much lower ball flight. I would say the one thing that makes XP shafts unique is our power chamber in the middle of the shaft. This stores the energy produces in the downswing and releases it at impact for higher ball speed and more distance. This is a unique technology our engineers developed just for XP 95 and 105.[/i]

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

[quote name='the_saint_siwa' timestamp='1396883616' post='9038141']
Good Morning Chris and Chad,

1. Are we going to see any Mizuno Japan product in USA? I noticed that Mizuno Japan has "fancier" finish. Any chance that will be offered in the states?
2. Is Mizuno thinking about making any limited edition products, mostly irons?
3. Any chance to square the toe a bit in the future products?

Thank you
Steve
[/quote]

Mizuno Japan offers some crazy finishes but they come along with crazy price points. Mainly because those pricepoints don't really exist in the states, you probably won't see some of those over here

Our philosophy is "if it's good enough to be limited edition, it's good enough to be a full launch product!"

Head shapes of irons are a constantly evolving thing and know that we have noticed the recent trend of more squared off toes

[quote name='MNgolf24' timestamp='1396557034' post='9013853']
What Technology and Process do you use to differentiate your (TrueTemper) shafts from your competitors?, and whats on the horizon for TrueTemper shafts in the future?

Love the giveaway BTW, Hockey and Golf, what could be better!
[/quote]

[i]All of our shafts go through a rigorous manufacturing process that includes 130 different processes to get the final product, and many of these processes are proprietary and unique to True Temper shafts. One technology that you will find in all of our premium shaft is variable wall technology which allows us to manipulate the interior wall of the shaft to vary the thickness throughout so that we can produce different performance characteristics. With this technology we can incorporate really cool things into our shafts like the power chamber in the XP line or the recessed section in the DG Spinner. [/i]

WITB

[quote name='DuckHook02' timestamp='1396905275' post='9040821']
When can we expect the next evolution/replacement for the MP-64's? Any hints on how it will differ?
[/quote]

Each set is constantly being worked on and tweaked. As a current MP64 player I know this good and the bad of this iron. All of these things will go into that next version, whenever it may be!

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1396884995' post='9038303']
As we have seen through this site and the trips, a proper fitting has its countless benefits. When I go into my local big box stores it seems I don't have the option of trying out more than what they have in stock.
Being in Syracuse, NY and coupled with the fact that I don't belong anywhere I don't get to attend many demo days. Do you at Mizuno or True Temper have demo days up here? Also, do you have any authorized/recommended dealers you could point me to in order to get a proper fit to all that you offer?

thanks again! These forums are very helpful.

Joe
[/quote]

Check this our on our site! http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/events

[quote name='mkp' timestamp='1396783769' post='9030761']
I'm thinking about reshafting my mp32's. Currently have the stock dg s300's installed at std. length, I'm interested in trying lighter steel shafts at 1/2" longer...what weight in the XP line should I look at? I'd like to keep the swing weight near D2.
[/quote]

[i]We would recommend the XP105. Adding the additional ½” at the lighter weight should offset one another and keep you close to where you want to be at D2.[/i]

WITB

[quote name='dieselmd' timestamp='1396543881' post='9011939']
These questions are for Chris Voshall. A recent tweet from you appeared on the Mizuno Europe Forum whereby you stated your excitement over the upcoming JPX 825 iron replacements.

-Care to share some or any info over what we may see come this Summer/ Fall?
-Chris, what is your handicap? I only ask as your swing looks like it could make it on the Tour.
[/quote]

Haha, All I said was a #JPX, no indication of it was an 825 replacement! Don't put words in my mouth! That being said, we are always working on new stuff and there will be cool new technologies at some point in the future.
As for my handicap, I'm a scratch player. Thanks for the kind words on my swing. You should ask Chad though, he's no slouch himself!

[quote name='vtnerf' timestamp='1396885773' post='9038413']
Thank you guys for taking time to hop on here and answer questions.

I love my MP32's, so much so that I wore out my first set. (Don't worry, I have a set of 32's with DGS300's in them in the bag now.) Please tell me that you have no intentions of retiring the MP line of irons. Or that you are looking to move away from the clean classic looks of the MP line.
Are there any plans to revisit the cut muscle design that made the 32's so popular with those that have played them?
[/quote]

The MP line is what makes Mizuno who we are, so don't worry, we won't lose focus on that type of player. It's our foundation!

[quote name='3 piece' timestamp='1396906701' post='9041001']
Mizuno:What do you make of all the other club makers promoting their clubs as longer? We don't see too many Mizuno ads about being longer. Is it just hype as far as you are concerned? As golfers we know Mizuno makes quality equipment. How do get your name out the for those just venturing into the game of golf?
[/quote]

The sad thing is that most of these clubs are getting longer through a combination of technology and "spec-ology" as we like to say. They are making their clubs longer and stronger. At Mizuno we are so custom fitting focused that we're not jacking around with the lengths, for example, to make a club go farther. For a straight head to head technology comparison as it relates to distance check out ( [url="http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/products/mizuno-jpx-825-irons#.U0Py7KI3fuE"]http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/products/mizuno-jpx-825-irons#.U0Py7KI3fuE[/url] ) where we matched shafts, lengths, and lofts to give a good understanding of exactly how the head's technology is leading to more distance.

[quote name='xerpro' timestamp='1396886128' post='9038459']
Long time fan of mizuno, and true temper. Thanks for coming on.
I would like to say, that if Im chosen to win the hockey stick, one of my friends from the great white north will have to show me what to do with it. We didnt have hockey in SC.

Anyhow.....Chris.....I have heard great things about the newest line of woods, the JPX EZ. Did you guys move the weight lower and forward to reduce spin? I have a buddy that has been raving about this head for several weeks, and he believed that to be true. I just havent heard yet.

Chad- What are the plans for the premium graphite shaft? As we see more stronger players gravitate towards high density graphite, just wanted to see where you guys were heading..

Thanks for the opportunity
[/quote]

Actually, we moved we weight low and back on the JPX EZ. From the engineering side, the industry has not been wrong for the past 30 years that a low deep CG is helpful for the golfer! The key is that the Sweet Spot stays low and that was focus on the EZ. The result is an easy to launch club plus low spin!

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1396544441' post='9012023']
Mizuno, could you please set the world straight as to why your staffers mostly don't play your metal woods too?
[/quote]

It's a lot of a focus/resources things. In the US we are still trying to grow our iron market share and pushing all resources towards that. If you notice in the UK and in Japan where the brand is a bit more established, the focus is more on the broad range so more staffers are using woods.

[quote name='ryanoneill1' timestamp='1396907559' post='9041107']
I went to a custom club fitting where I was fitted for the MIZUNO JPX-825 PRO IRONS. In the fitting I noticed a more consistent ball flight. My swing can vary from day to day. How do I know if I'm good enough to be fit for those clubs?
[/quote]

The beauty of a set like the 825 Pro is that they are still quite forgiving even though they have the "Pro" name behind them. They will allow you to get away with your miss-hits while giving you feedback you need to become a better ball striker! Go for it!

[quote name='3 piece' timestamp='1396890013' post='9038877']
Would you recommend the JPX EZ irons for a junior golfer?
[/quote]

The EZ irons are great for juniors, but my recommendation would be go to something a little more demanding (maybe EZ Forged) because this will teach the junior to be a better ball striker and teach him or her to find the center of the face. Just my philosophy.

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1396870514' post='9036935']
I really like how you can ask these questions ahead of time now... Thanks.

Question regarding both Mizuno and TT:

Has the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer software/program been updated with all the new shafts (including TT) yet? I have yet to have anyone get fit into the DG PRO's yet.

Also, for TT: If I were to build a driver on Callaway's website, what are specs of the "TT PX Handcrafted" that would be installed (in stiff)? Looking on WRX, there seems to be at least two "handcrafted" models?

Thanks in Advance, and I look forward to hearing the answers to these, and looking through other's Q/A.
[/quote]

[i]We have three weight categories…70 gram, 60 gram and 50 gram. Within those there are different stiffness profiles. If you are looking for a stiff, check out the 6.0 in one of those weight categories.[/i]

WITB

I play the JPX EZ irons non forged, and think they are terrific. I also enjoy two MPT-4 forged wedges, and like the feel.

Chris: If I wanted to upgrade/customize my irons by adding JPX EZ forged, where should/could I make the break? At the 8i (so add 8i,9i,PW) in forged?

Also wanted to say as a longtime PING iron guy, but not good enough for the MP line, I congratulate Mizuno on the JPX series.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

[quote name='Vicious13' timestamp='1396891829' post='9039129']
Chris and Chad thanks for answering our questions.
What was your thought process and reasons for choosing what stock shafts you installed in this years irons? Thanks
[/quote]

From Mizuno's side, we're looking for a stock setup that will deliver whatever the key goal is for that product. On the EZ line it's distance and forgiveness. The XP 105 fits perfectly into that theme!

[quote name='TheVillain85' timestamp='1396883178' post='9038097']
What effect does shaft flex have on ball flight characteristics? Thanks!
[/quote]

[i]Typically, stiffer flex is going to produce a lower ball flight versus a softer flex within the same product line. Each of our shaft families are designed to produce a specific ball flight, so that rule really applies within a shaft family.[/i]

WITB

[quote name='conner229' timestamp='1396908504' post='9041223']
Is there any chance that Mizuno will have a heavier weight graphite shaft as a standard option in the EZ hybrid line.
[/quote]

Currently there is no plan for that, but it's good feedback. For example, I play a heavier shaft in a JPX EZ hybrid. Definitely noted!

[quote name='newtronica' timestamp='1396902037' post='9040395']
I am currently playing the JPX-825's and hit them very long and straight. However I tend to hit them very high which can be a problem being that I play on the coast a good bit. Is this an issue with the stock shafts in my 825's and would I benefit more from getting new shafts with a different kick point, or would it make sense just to upgrade to the JPX-EZ irons?

Thanks!
[/quote]

There is a lot that goes into what causes spin from an iron shot and shaft is definitely one of them. I'd recommend swinging the Shaft Optimizer to get a solid recommendation