2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Rocco's Comments

Konrad

Again, this is the PGA tour not the Tiger tour

ARnie, Jack have limited field events..does it make it their tour?

I personally think it should be an open field event..I live in the area and don't mind seeing all the tour players.

I was also expecting Pernice to go off on this idea..surprisingly supportive of the tournament idea and field.

These players made a mistake with their public statements. They could have kept their dirty laundry in house..it's just a phone call or a meeting..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, whom ever said Tiger isn't bigger than the tour needs to take a golf history lesson...

During a tournement when it was hotter than hell Tiger asked Finchem if the caddies could wear shorts, since this tournement required caddies to wear pants, he was told no.

Tiger explained politely the fact that the caddies should be allowed to wear shorts since they're not the ones everyone is there to see, the golfers would still wear pants, but Finchem wouldn't back down.

Tiger told him "Fine, I'll withdraw then" to which Finchem told him that if he withdrew he wouldn't be able to play in a certain number of events for the rest of the season.

Tiger looked at him and said "Fine, I'll go play in Europe".

The acddies wore shorts that week.

Make no mistake, Tiger is a gentleman and doesn't use his clout often if at all, but the one time he did it was for the caddies.

Don't forget how much money he brings to golf and the sponsors when he shows up.

Now, whom ever said Tiger isn't bigger than the tour needs to take a golf history lesson...

During a tournement when it was hotter than hell Tiger asked Finchem if the caddies could wear shorts, since this tournement required caddies to wear pants, he was told no.

Tiger explained politely the fact that the caddies should be allowed to wear shorts since they're not the ones everyone is there to see, the golfers would still wear pants, but Finchem wouldn't back down.

Tiger told him "Fine, I'll withdraw then" to which Finchem told him that if he withdrew he wouldn't be able to play in a certain number of events for the rest of the season.

Make no mistake, Tiger is a gentleman and doesn't use his clout often if at all, but the one time he did it was for the caddies.

Don't forget how much money he brings to golf and the sponsors when he shows up.

Yes, he has clout...maybe more than anyone in history. However, if he died in a car wreck tomorrow the show would go on. HE IS NOT THE PGA. And yes, I know my history...

Yes, he has clout...maybe more than anyone in history. However, if he died in a car wreck tomorrow the show would go on. HE IS NOT THE PGA. And yes, I know my history...

If that were to happen (God forbid) I'd be willing to place a lot of money on the purses becoming smaller. SImply because more people tune in to watch him. End of story.

That was that made-for-TV thing against David Duval some years back.

...and you're right. He's NOT the PGA....but he IS bigger than the PGA TOUR.

-mini

I think Rocco is on with his remarks. Yeah, he's probably not going to contend in many events (but who knows), and so you would think he would favor a full field event. Yet he has the sense to realize the huge effect Tiger has had on the sport. Tiger is so big his effect is almost gravitational. (science geeks get that one)

I'm not one of those sycophantic, slobbering Tiger fans, but I acknowledge what he is, has done, and will do for golf.... let him have the tourney his way. Rocco is correct.

As has been noted infrequently in this thread, the key point is that a full field event is being replaced by an invitational. Read that sentence again.

Disclaimer: I'm in awe of Tiger's golfing skills, and as a person.

Are there a 100 guys on tour who make silly amounts of money playing golf? Yes, and Tiger deserves a lions (tigers?) share of the credit for that. That said, I can also understand that there are quite a few golfers on tour who are a whole lot better than every one of us who struggle with staying on the tour (making the money list). I can appreciate their desire to not lose one more chance to make some money.

Looking out for the marginal tour players is a necessary and important thing.

I could understand the hoo-ha if the International had been bumped from the schedule to accomodate Woods' invitational event, but that's not the case. If players are so against limited field events then they should boycott them, inlcuding The Masters. Nah, didn't think so.

At the end of the day it's a bunch of guys who get to play golf every day, get shed loads of the latest and greatest gear given to them for free by the OEMs. Plus they all have a ton more money than me. Boo-hoo. There are people starving to death in the world, lets keep a bit of perspective here guys.

As has been noted infrequently in this thread, the key point is that a full field event is being replaced by an invitational.

That's not quite correct.

The full field event had been canned. Gone. Not on the schedule at all. So the PGA Tour went to Tiger and asked if he would be willing to host a tournament during the week that it would have been played.

Read that statement again. :tongue:

So the result is that there is now a tournament, albeit an invitational where before there wa a gap in the schedule. Whch also means that the guys not invited are not playing in a week that they wouldn't have been playing in anyway. Net result is that to get an invitation the lower ranked guys need to practise more, get better, raise their profile so that next time they are invited.

Please can someone let us know the criteria for these tournaments? Is it purely the people Tiger wants to play? Or is there a qualifying criteria as well - like top 50 on tour plus invites?

Added to that fact that all proceeds will go to Tiger's Foundation I think ithe's done a great thing by hosting it.

ok so all the whiny brats at the bottom of the money list that don't get invites should go try to find a sponsor and see if Tim will let them host an opposite field event.

anybody wanna give me odds on THAT happening?

seriously guys, just shut up and play better, its not like these "invitation only" events are handpicked fields. Its kinda like the whining that goes on by the few guys that don't make the US Open, guys its open qualifying if you don't make it in, better luck next year :tongue:

Here's an idea, lets invite only the top 5 players in the world to all events including majors. If other players want in then they should practice harder and make it into the top 5. Geez's all these top players not in the top 5 are crazy to think they should be allowed into any event. Also only allowing the top 5 players would ensure that el Tiger beats jacks records, which I believe is what we all want to see.

As has been noted infrequently in this thread, the key point is that a full field event is being replaced by an invitational.

That's not quite correct.

The full field event had been canned. Gone. Not on the schedule at all. So the PGA Tour went to Tiger and asked if he would be willing to host a tournament during the week that it would have been played.

Read that statement again. ;)

Exactly, this is an important distinction the players are overlooking. The tournament disappeared - its not like DC was looking to knock off the International and steal that weekend, its just the way it happened.

Personally I'm sick of the whining by the third and fourth and fifth tier players on tour. With their endorsement deals and (even tiny) winnings, they are probably still making close to or over a million dollars a year or more to play golf. Just shut up already. They have no idea how good they have it.

I think it was McCord or Johnny Miller - one of the books I read on vacation this year - that said something like this. (paraphrasing) Basically that the tour is becoming a bunch of spoiled brats who dont know how good they have it, and that if they really wanted to work for it, the "Top 125" exempt should be changed to the Top 50 or Top 75 and make guys really have to work for it, but that the guys near the bottom rungs of the ladder can really do the bare minimum work and keep hanging on to their status.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

Cally Rogue ST Max 3w - Ventus Blue 6s

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Quickly

1) Maybe TW's people will increase the field next year. Remember this tourney was put togther very quickly. 100 players may have been harder to accom.

2) They just picked out the venue (see point one again)

3) I've said this before. Some twenty years from now: this tourney will be the fifth major! He must conduct at the begining with some measures/pre-qual to only include the top players.

If Tiger was concerned about those players needing to maintain or obtain full status then he would be sure to make this event in DC a full field event.

Great observation.

More important question: Why should he care?

Quickly

1) Maybe TW's people will increase the field next year. Remember this tourney was put togther very quickly. 100 players may have been harder to accom.

3) I've said this before. Some twenty years from now: this tourney will be the fifth major! He must conduct at the begining with some measures/pre-qual to only include the top players.

Good points, however, I have to respectfully disagree.

I think if Tiger wanted a full tournament, he'd get it. No if, ands, or buts about it. He pretty much gets his way with everything else (equipment, endorsement deals, etc), why wouldn't he here?

It seems pretty obvious that by limiting the field, he adds a little bit more prestige to a first year tournament.

lol, fifth major :blink: ...let's see how this tournament actually pans out first ;)

Quickly

Good points, however, I have to respectfully disagree.

I think if Tiger wanted a full tournament, he'd get it. No if, ands, or buts about it. He pretty much gets his way with everything else (equipment, endorsement deals, etc), why wouldn't he here?

It seems pretty obvious that by limiting the field, he adds a little bit more prestige to a first year tournament.

lol, fifth major :blink: ...let's see how this tournament actually pans out first ;)

you have to remember Tiger is on track to break records of all the greats. The only thing left is to start a major. Didn't Bobby Jones start the Augusta Invitational (Masters) the same way? Don't think for a second that he and his dad did not talk about this. Oh, isn't he also now in course design? :cheesy:

I would also assume that the ones complaining about the tournament not being a full field event, did not help their chances of getting an invitation to play...

open mouth, insert foot!!!

Taylormade SIM2 9° | Ventus VeloCore Black 6S

Titleist TS3 15° | Fubuki 75x5ct

Tylormade SIM DHY 17° & 19° | Diamana HY75-S

Taylormade M3 4-AW | DT XP100 S300

Vokey SM8 54° 12D | W Flex

Putter(s): Cameron Futura 5S | TM Stingray Ghost ST-74