2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Too many sets, help me pick one

Ok long story short... I have had clubs accumulating and now have too many sets. I originally was going to have just one set of older clubs and currently I have three. So my question to you all is which set would you hold onto and why.

Mizuno Tour XP irons and Turbo woods. - I have always wanted a set of Mizuno's but that said, these are not anything special as far as I can tell. They play ok, I have only had them at the range twice.

Nicklaus N1 irons and Yonex ADX woods - I have not tried the N1s yet but I like the lines and want to clean them up. From what I have researched they seem to be a style Jack favored for many years. I just think they are cool. Don't know if they are forged or cast but they look to be stainless. I could be wrong. Woods on the other hand I have had out a few times and they hit well. I like how they feel. I really like the 5w.

Joe Powell CBF's and Metalwoods - Just got these not too long ago and I really like them, very clean design. Haven't played any of them yet and still have a lot of cleaning to do on them. Don't know much about the company aside from they seem like a small specialty shop and they appear to be well received. I also gotta say I like the persimmons woods, very cool!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer your question, I'd keep the Powells - they look nice, so long as the shafts fit you and the grips are playable. And also that Hogan wedge hiding at the bottom of the Mizunos.

But really I want to say that if you're going to frequent this part of the forum you might want to get rid of all 3 sets and then extend your closet to free up some space for the beautiful, playable and affordable classics that you're likely to get a taste for.

Get a bigger closet. Three Sets? Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrox, Pards. Three sets doesn't even constitute having taken a sip of the vintage Kool-aid.
Escape while you can. If not, three sets quickly morph into three dozen sets. After that, it is a slippery slope to fifty and a hundred. They breed like rabbits, I tell you.
Uncle Bob

+1 with oldplayer. From what you've told us ("not anything special") I'd say the Mizunos should go. I also agree about keeping the Hogan wedge and possibly the Slotline, if it works for you. {Off-topic Alert: About the overgrown putter marked 2 next to your Mizuno driver--what IS that thing?!?}

Strictly IMHO, more important than which set(s) you keep is increasing your pleasure in vintage clubs--the discovery, the knowledge/appreciation of the beauty, craft and technology lavished on them. People dedicated their lives to bringing their golf club ideal into physical form--I think Joe Powell is definitely in that group, maybe Nicklaus too in a small way.

But no matter *how* wonderful the club, no matter the precision of design, quality of material and workmanship: [b]if you don't enjoy it[/b], [b]it's not right for you.[/b] Turn it loose!!!! It doesn't have a brain or feelings to be hurt, and it could be right for someone else. Let them appreciate it if you can't, it's selfish to hold on.

I think part of the problem is you've got options up, down and sideways for golf clubs. At this very moment, there are 8 N-1s, 2 Tour XP and a Joe Powell CBF set(s) on Ebay. And you will have [i]even more choices[/i] at the end of the season, Christmas, next spring, and around Father's Day!!

I think this hobby ought to be for enjoyment, not guilt. Organize it whatever way you like, but:

[b]Do It Your Way[/b] [b]and [size=5][i]Enjoy!!!! [/i][/size][/b] :)

HTH,

Kathy Marie
PS You're not "Getting rid of golf clubs," you're "Preparing to welcome your next golf adventure!" ;)
PPS Sometimes things that are rare deserve to be, like MacGregor's split-sole irons. So according to Ebay, the N-1 is the set you should keep.

Thank you for the words of wisdom and advice. Lots of good info. I do like the older clubs and could see myself having quite a few sets. I have a lot of older stuff not listed as I was focusing on the sets I have recently acquired. My main issue is I have been thrifting to help with a secondary income and when it comes to clubs I sometimes have trouble selling things I like. I need to strike a balance between keeping things I like but selling enough to keep making an income.

I plan on keeping the slotline putter, I really like them and have two. I will also keep the Ben Hogan wedge as well as a Chi Chi R. sand wedge I have in with the N1s. Also want to add although I feel guilty about buying a lot this month I enjoyed it and have had a lot of fun trying different clubs and finding what fits. I just need to calm it down for a while and if I can clear up some space while recouping some of the money I spent I will be feeling pretty good. Not just with golf clubs either, I am going through my house as well. Just want to have a bit more organization and stability in general.

As far as the sets go, I like the Powells and will keep them. The N1s I am deciding on but I may keep as well. Think the Mizunos may be the ones I let go. I have tried them and it was nothing remarkable. Not like the mp-69 6 iron I have. That club feels amazing when I actually hit it well. I think I will build that set slowly with a club every couple of months when I can.

[quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1404679835' post='9647495']
is that thing marked 2 a samauri sword graphite iron?
[/quote]
No it's basically a driving iron/hybrid. Called the Tycoon and made by Crane golf products. Pretty cool, it used to be my grandmas and it is fun to hit. She had some really cool clubs and I am glad to have a few. Coolest club I got from her was my Yonex Super ADX Graphite shafted 8802 style putter. Anywho pictures of the driving iron below.

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1404618618' post='9644535']
Get a bigger closet. Three Sets? Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrox, Pards. Three sets doesn't even constitute having taken a sip of the vintage Kool-aid.
Escape while you can. If not, three sets quickly morph into three dozen sets. After that, it is a slippery slope to fifty and a hundred. They breed like rabbits, I tell you.
Uncle Bob
[/quote]Uncle Bob you are so correct ask me how I know?
BTW I voted for the Nicklaus irons out of those 3 sets I mean I am a self admitted MacGregor junkie and that was the closest thing to the "real McCoy" so to speak

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1404683541' post='9647827']
It's a fine line Fast Ed between buying at thrifts to turn a profit with and just keeping them to play because the initial investment is so minimal. Believe me I know. Good luck with it.
[/quote]That's my problem I buy them because I like them. Some I cant hit and some I don't want to hit I dont want to get rid of them because I like to look at them. MY wife does not say anything at all as long as most of the stuff stays outside in the shop and I pay my rent on the other storage faculity I have rented. I am even nice since she is so nice I let her keep some of her stuff in the rented building. I mentioned the other night that I might sell some of my stuff. She commented that only IF I wanted to sell any of it

[quote name='fasteddie128' timestamp='1404781733' post='9656103']
Sounds like you got a keeper there Big Stu. You must also have quite the club collection!
[/quote]She is definetly a keeper I have been married to her 26 years July 16th. Yeah I have quite a collection. A lot of my stuff dates back to my teen years amd some was my dad's stuff. A lot I acquired here and there horse trading, flea makets,estate sales amd thrift stores. I ended up with a lot of stuff when my friend closed his golf shop in 06. I have a small club repairshop in the building behind my house with everyting but a shaft frequency machine and i am working on a deal to get one of those. My goal is to someday open up a storefront club shop and use one of the rooms to display the older stuff with a history attached. In fact since I have came on this site my knowledge has increased tenfold. I do take notes about stuff that is discussed on here especially Mr Penna and Mr Moore. Teevons and Ironmaster Oddities are also a wealth of information among others. I am mostly a MacGregor/Spalding man but I have learned a lot about Hogan clubs on here

Lol to the few that voted I appreciate the input. At this point I just with went the advice others have given and am going with what I like. I am keeping what I list below, everything else goes. As much as I like the other sets I most likely wont use them. I am going with what I set out to do and making my one set of older clubs. I will get others later as well as more room but for now I want to keep focus on building and enjoying one set that I really like.

[b]Heres the keepers[/b][list]
[*]N1 irons
[*]chi chi/ MacGregor SW
[*]Hogan special 60
[*]Wilson Tour Special 1 forged putter
[*]Ben Hogan Laminated Maple driver
[*]MT MacGregor persimmons 3 wood
[/list]

[quote name='OldTom' timestamp='1405036538' post='9676819']
No offence intended fasteddie, but those 3 sets of irons are seriously ugly. Sell them all and buy a very pretty set of vintage blades.
[/quote]
Non taken and no worries. I did make one set I like and the rest are going. They may not be pretty but I kind of like them and would like to give em a go. A few of the clubs were passed on to me and have sentimental value ( The Hogan wood driver and MT 3 wood). And while ugly to some i like the way the N1s look. But I made this thread for opinions and am glad you shared yours.

Also by selling everything else I will indeed be freeing up room for some more serious vintage clubs should the deal arise. :)