2014 The Open Championship....July 14th - 20th (Merged)

kemau

[url="http://espn.go.com/golf/theopen14/story/_/id/11218519/2014-open-championship-ra-forces-players-sign-no-bet-waiver"][b]Players at Open forced to sign no-bet waiver[/b][/url]

July 15, 2014

Among the perks for many Americans at Open Championships is the ability to place legal wagers on the competition.

Betting is a way of life in the United Kingdom, and various gambling establishments dot the landscape, including several within a few miles of this year's venue, Royal Liverpool.

But players are being told such places are off-limits, at least for bets on this week's Open. In a move believed to be a first, R&A officials have required competitors to sign a waiver stating they will not place wagers on the championship, multiple players confirmed to ESPN.com.

"It's really no different than what we already have on the European Tour and PGA Tour, so it doesn't change anything," Graeme McDowell said. "Honestly I love to gamble ... just not on golf!"

The R&A had yet to reply when asked for an official response by ESPN.com.

"It doesn't matter to me," Jason Day said. "I don't follow that stuff either way."

Both the PGA Tour and European Tour have policies that prohibit players from gambling on tournaments. But at the Open, that didn't necessarily stop them from doing so in the past.

"I was shocked when they handed me the sheet to sign," said one player, who wanted to remain anonymous.

Caddies apparently were not required to sign the waiver.

"I can still go make the bet," said one caddie, who declined to be named.

One player representative, who also did not want his name revealed, said: "There's probably ... at least 30 guys in violation [of the no-bet waiver] already, and that number will be bigger by Thursday."

Local betting establishment William Hill lists Rory McIlroy as the tournament favorite at 12-1 odds. Tiger Woods and defending champion Phil Mickelson are both at 16-1 odds.

An array of possible bets exist, and each bookmaker has different variations and odds. In addition to betting on players to win, bets can be made on whether they will finish among the top five or top six. Shops offer odds on various things such as if a player will make a cut, how many bunkers he might find, etc. Odds are also given on the matchups in various groups.

Lee Trevino famously bet on himself before winning the 1971 Open Championship, placing 100 pounds at 14-1 odds. Over the years, he has maintained the story got embellished, saying a number of people he stayed with that week at Royal Birkdale also bet on him, especially after his odds rose following the first round.

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='kemau' timestamp='1405457179' post='9706961']
where are these reports of tiger not playing well? it's getting mentioned quite a bit but haven't seen an article, tweet or otherwise confirming
[/quote]

Yeah, this is baffling. There was a report from the Golf Channel (I can't remember exactly who from) saying that they watched Tiger's first six holes of practice on Saturday and he was missing a majority of the fairways, but apart from that there's been nothing.

The Open 2014: Hole-by-hole guide to Hoylake by three-time major champion Padraig Harrington

article-2692989-1FA983B900000578-37_964x566.jpg

1st - It’s always tough when you start off with a difficult hole. You’re nervous and keen to get off and running with a stress-free par, and this is certainly an opener where you’re glad to walk off with a four. A tough tee shot to find the fairway and it’s a difficult green as well.

2nd - This hole proved very tricky in 2006 owing to the sloping nature of the green, and they do tend to tuck the pin away on this one. Off the tee you need to keep out of some deep fairway bunkers.

3rd - The mistake many players make here is they don’t take enough club to lay-up to the corner of the dogleg, leaving a tricky second shot that brings out of bounds down the right into play. A good lay-up leaves about 170 yards to the green and missing on the left is not the end of the world, since you can putt from there.

4th - A lay-up off the tee with anything from a two iron to four iron depending on the wind to take the fairway bunkers out of play. This leaves you a pitching wedge-type distance from the hole and this is definitely one where you’re looking to make a birdie.

5th - Two choices off the tee. Take driver and take on the gorse and the bunkers or a three wood and play safe but leave a much more difficult second shot. Any player taking this route will leave himself under quite a bit of pressure, trying to hit a green that slopes off and is protected by bunkers.

6th - An interesting short hole. It shouldn’t cause problems but on the front right of the green you’ve got one of the most difficult bunkers on the whole course while the pair on the left aren’t much fun either. Usually played in a right to left wind, so you’re happy to make your par and move on.

7th - Stroke index one for the members but a big, long par four is not the sort of thing that’s going to keep the pros awake at night. Not the most exciting hole on the course but a tough, strong one nevertheless.

8th - The blind tee shot adds an element of difficulty and doubt, and catches your eye a bit. You’ll see a few more hooks here than you might expect because guys tend to come up more quickly when they can’t see the tee shot land. Get your drive away, however, and you’ve only got a wedge to the green.

9th - A par three that has plenty of length but one that doesn’t strike fear owing to the fact it is played downwind. You’ll see a few birdies made on this one.

10th - A par five where you desperately want to make a birdie. You’re coming back into the wind after this one and so you’re looking for something to tuck away. I’d describe this hole as an easy par five but a very difficult four because the green is hard to hit with a long club.

11th - A short par four, possibly driveable if the wind is not the prevailing one. Otherwise, a two iron/five wood type of lay-up will leave a wedge or sand wedge. Hitting the fairway here is critical. A great birdie chance if you do so, but if not you turn a 3.5 type hole into one that will play more like 4.5.

12th - Another hole where hitting the fairway is paramount. This is a really tough par four, where you have to stay out of the fairway bunkers on the right. If you elect to lay up short of them, however, you leave yourself a really difficult approach to a green that is a hard one to hit.

13th - This is a lovely par three along the Wirral estuary where the wind is blowing from the left. All you’re looking for here is a good strike with your tee shot and if you do that you should walk off with a par, which is all you’re really trying to make on this hole.

14th - A pivotal hole in my opinion because it’s the last big hole on the course, and after this one you’re thinking birdies. A tough tee shot where you’ve got two choices. Play short of the bunkers on the right and left and leave yourself a long shot to an awkward green, or take on the risk and get rewarded with an easier approach if you miss the sand traps.

15th - A short par three usually played downwind and we had terrible problems here last time trying to get the ball to stop on the green. The first 10 yards of the green slope downwards and the tee shots were shooting into the bunker on the left. A back-right pin could make this hole really difficult, but It all depends on the firmness of the green.

16th - Get a good tee shot away on this par five and you’re really in business. The entrance to the green is narrow but the trouble isn’t so difficult to stop someone from going for it, because the worst score you should make if you miss the target is a par. A hole where you will definitely see some eagles.

17th - This is a strong par four, with two fairway bunkers on either side that are definitely in play. The green is big but last time they tucked the pins away so you might not see too many shots finishing close to the flag. A hole, therefore, where you’ll see more pars than anything.

18th - A par five where eagles can be made but also big mistakes, so you need two good shots to make sure you gain your reward. It’s the greatest feeling in golf coming down the 18th hole in an Open with the grandstands packed and this year will be no exception, with the wraparound seating. But the 18th is no place for the faint-hearted.

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

where are these reports of tiger not playing well? it's getting mentioned quite a bit but haven't seen an article, tweet or otherwise confirming
[/quote]

I dunno, just keep seeing people mention it in this thread. Here is a first had account from Matt Kuchar

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/tigerwoods/10965003/The-Open-2014-Tiger-Woods-looks-in-good-shape-to-be-a-contender-warns-Matt-Kuchar.html

[quote][size=3][color=#282828]Going out with Kuchar at 12pm, Woods appeared relaxed as he prepared for the first round on Thursday, which will be just his third 18 holes of competitive golf since the start of March following his microdiscectomy. “Tiger was impressive,” Kuchar said.[/color][/size]
[color=#282828][size=1][size=3]“I thought he was crazy to come back as early as he did but he said he thought it was the right thing to do, to test it and see how fit he is. He said he’s recovering well, that after playing he gets up the next day and feels good. We had a little match going and on the last hole he duly stuffed one in there close from 160 yards to beat me, so that was a bit of a bummer but totally like the Tiger we’re used to seeing. So contend? I absolutely think he can. The British Open, the knowledge he has, the skill set he has – yeah, he can definitely contend.[/size]”[/size][/color][/quote]

[quote name='HoganWoods' timestamp='1405456428' post='9706857']
Has anyone seen Tiger first hand today? Is he still spraying irons?
[/quote]

I followed him for the first 9 holes. He sprayed it more than I ever remember him over the years. However, it would not surprise me if he was playing to spots where he felt his misses could be. He seemed very relaxed with himself but I was disappointed with his disregard to the spectators, especially the young kids.

[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1405458132' post='9707091']
[/quote]

I dunno, just keep seeing people mention it in this thread. Here is a first had account from Matt Kuchar

[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/tigerwoods/10965003/The-Open-2014-Tiger-Woods-looks-in-good-shape-to-be-a-contender-warns-Matt-Kuchar.html"]http://www.telegraph...att-Kuchar.html[/url]

[quote][size=3][color=#282828]Going out with Kuchar at 12pm, Woods appeared relaxed as he prepared for the first round on Thursday, which will be just his third 18 holes of competitive golf since the start of March following his microdiscectomy. “Tiger was impressive,” Kuchar said.[/color][/size]
[color=#282828][size=1][size=3]“I thought he was crazy to come back as early as he did but he said he thought it was the right thing to do, to test it and see how fit he is. He said he’s recovering well, that after playing he gets up the next day and feels good. We had a little match going and on the last hole he duly stuffed one in there close from 160 yards to beat me, so that was a bit of a bummer but totally like the Tiger we’re used to seeing. So contend? I absolutely think he can. The British Open, the knowledge he has, the skill set he has – yeah, he can definitely contend.[/size]”[/size][/color][/quote]
[/quote]

Duval and Woodland both said he played well in their rounds with him too. Then again I wouldn't expect any of these guys to throw each other under the bus.

[url="http://golfweek.com/news/2014/jul/15/tiger-woods-british-open-2014-preview-royal-liverp/"]http://golfweek.com/news/2014/jul/15/tiger-woods-british-open-2014-preview-royal-liverp/[/url]

Sir Nick Faldo said in that same article that Woods is not ready. Sir Nick has won The Open three times and The Masters three times so I think his opinion is valued more than two PGA journeymen. When Kuchar gets a knighthood then we can talk.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/golf/488586/Sir-Nick-Faldo-Tiger-Woods-may-be-caught-short-at-Open

I think Brandel Chamblee earlier today said Tiger was not hitting fairways plus the bookies marked him down along with Kaymer.

[quote name='Frankie Lob Wedge' timestamp='1405458568' post='9707133']
Sir Nick Faldo said in that same article that Woods is not ready. Sir Nick has won The Open three times and The Masters three times so I think his opinion is valued more than two PGA journeymen. When Kuchar gets a knighthood then we can talk.

[url="http://www.express.co.uk/sport/golf/488586/Sir-Nick-Faldo-Tiger-Woods-may-be-caught-short-at-Open"]http://www.express.c...t-short-at-Open[/url]

I think Brandel Chamblee earlier today said Tiger was not hitting fairways plus the bookies marked him down along with Kaymer.
[/quote]

Faldo could be right. Most people expect him to struggle, so he's not exactly going out on a limb with that prediction.

[quote name='redfirebird08' timestamp='1405458527' post='9707131']
[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1405458132' post='9707091']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/tigerwoods/10965003/The-Open-2014-Tiger-Woods-looks-in-good-shape-to-be-a-contender-warns-Matt-Kuchar.html"]http://www.telegraph...att-Kuchar.html[/url]

[/quote]

Duval and Woodland both said he played well in their rounds with him too. Then again I wouldn't expect any of these guys to throw each other under the bus.

[url="http://golfweek.com/news/2014/jul/15/tiger-woods-british-open-2014-preview-royal-liverp/"]http://golfweek.com/...w-royal-liverp/[/url]
[/quote]

[quote name='David Duval']Duval is not one to mince words. So it was interesting to get his eyewitness take on whether we’ll see a rusty Woods or an Open contender like days of yore.
“He looked good,” Duval said. “I pay attention to a couple of different things than others do. He hit it solid. He probably skanked six shots, but that’s relative (based on Woods’ skill level). He would’ve been subpar had we kept score. His control was good and the couple of drivers he hit were beautiful. It was nice to see.”[/quote]

[url="http://www.express.co.uk/sport/golf/488586/Sir-Nick-Faldo-Tiger-Woods-may-be-caught-short-at-Open"]http://www.express.c...t-short-at-Open[/url]

[/quote]

sir nick doesn't speak of his form at hoylake during practice rounds.....we're well past the quicken loans national from 2-3 weeks ago from which he is speaking of. and once again your comments of bc is started by saying "i think....." so that pretty much leaves us with nothing other than actual players who have been out there playing with him this week. kuch, woodland, duval

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[i]'David Duval']Duval is not one to mince words. So it was interesting to get his eyewitness take on whether we’ll see a rusty Woods or an Open contender like days of yore.
“He looked good,” Duval said. “I pay attention to a couple of different things than others do. He hit it solid. [b]He probably skanked six shots[/b], but that’s relative (based on Woods’ skill level). He would’ve been subpar had we kept score. His control was good and the couple of drivers he hit were beautiful. It was nice to see.”[/i]

Tiger "shanked" six shots? I don't shank six shots a round and I am pretty lousy. What? He had been doing some slices and duck hooks.

Hank Harney said Tiger is slicing it a lot and he "doesn't care as much as he used to..."

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-doesnt-care-much-he-used-says-former-coach-hank-haney

I guess Hank thinks Tiger is just mailing it in anymore. Sad.

[quote]

Has anyone seen Tiger first hand today? Is he still spraying irons?

I followed him for the first 9 holes. He sprayed it more than I ever remember him over the years. However, it would not surprise me if he was playing to spots where he felt his misses could be. He seemed very relaxed with himself but I was disappointed with his disregard to the spectators, especially the young kids.
[/quote]

I think that TW is partly immune to the crowd as he's just so used to being hunted/followed everywhere. That said, he certainly doesn't seem to engage with the fans in the easygoing way that many other players do. My other half has a real dislike of Tiger after she witnessed him ignoring a group of autograph-hunting disabled kids when she worked in catering at a previous British Open. "I don't have time for this sh*t" was his response to his minders. Pretty poor form, but to give him the benefit of the doubt he may have been having a bad day.

[quote name='Frankie Lob Wedge' timestamp='1405459778' post='9707287']
[i]'David Duval']Duval is not one to mince words. So it was interesting to get his eyewitness take on whether we’ll see a rusty Woods or an Open contender like days of yore.
“He looked good,” Duval said. “I pay attention to a couple of different things than others do. He hit it solid. [b]He probably skanked six shots[/b], but that’s relative (based on Woods’ skill level). He would’ve been subpar had we kept score. His control was good and the couple of drivers he hit were beautiful. It was nice to see.”[/i]

Tiger "shanked" six shots? I don't shank six shots a round and I am pretty lousy. What? He had been doing some slices and duck hooks.

Hank Harney said Tiger is slicing it a lot and he "doesn't care as much as he used to..."

[url="http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-doesnt-care-much-he-used-says-former-coach-hank-haney"]http://www.golf.com/...oach-hank-haney[/url]

[/quote]

Reading isn't a strong suit for you is it?

s[color=#ff0000][u][b]K[/b][/u][/color]anked not s[color=#ff0000][b][u]H[/u][/b][/color]anked

[/quote]

You'll have to forgive Nick Faldo here, but he's doing what analysts do. Analyzing what little (and by little I mean no) information they have.

Nick Faldo has basically the exact same information as you or I as to Tiger's game. With little information, guys like him and Chambles love to chime in on the old 'how can someone possibly compete when they aren't playing enough competitive rounds' garbage. They are more interest in jockeying for the PGATour than they are about Woods success. If they could make Woods schedule, they'd have him playing every single weekend, throughout the fall at the JT Shriners, etc.

Look at Stricker's success last year with a lightened load, or Mickelson's British last year. I think these guys know what they are doing. I think Woods knows what he is doing. If Tiger thought the Scottish would put him leaps and bounds ahead in his ability to win the Open, he'd be there.

Forget the 97 Masters or the 00 US Open... the 08 US Open is the greatest win of all time by anyone in any sport. Forget the whole one knee thing which is already what makes it the most incredible... but factor in what no one ever mentions about that win... he hadn't had a competitive round in 8 weeks. He'd barely touched a golf club.

Look at the 2010 Masters. He hadn't competed in 6 months or touched a golf club and snatched a top 5. He knows how to compete he's been there with a chance to win over 100 times, converting the majority. His time is likely much better spent hitting thousands of balls, chips and putts on his last weekend then heading to scottish and wasting his time with media, pro ams, and 6 hour rounds where he hits all of 70 shots.

My 'analyzing' says him at home hitting 500+ balls a day, putting and chipping for a few hours multipied by 6 days is 10 times more beneficial than him at the scottish for 6 days fulfilling useless obligations and hitting 280 shots in a tournament, along with 30 warm up range balls per day. He knows how to handle the competitive juices, even coming off of long layoffs.

Faldo may be the only one dumber than Chambles.

Please.

[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1405460064' post='9707323']

[url="http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-doesnt-care-much-he-used-says-former-coach-hank-haney"]http://www.golf.com/...oach-hank-haney[/url]

[/quote]

s[color=#ff0000][u][b]K[/b][/u][/color]anked not s[color=#ff0000][b][u]H[/u][/b][/color]anked
[/quote]

My bad. I guess when I saw Tiger and skanks - I had an aversion to avoid thinking of skanks again.

i chuckle--and kinda enjoy--at all the speculations on tiger's game nowadays...

not surprised...just amused.

..good or bad he sure DOES move the needle doesn't he??

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

I love waking up and already having about 4 hours of golf to watch.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

Todd Lewis said on Saturday that Tiger missed "most" of his fairways. Other than that, no one seems to be able to provide any evidence that he's in poor form.

The guys he's played with said he looked good, and Frank Nobilo and Rich Lerner said he seemed satisfied with where he was at.

Nick Faldo is a .... . He thinks he knows what he's talking about but most of the time he just says something negative or downgrading, whether it's intentional or if he just can't control himself. He went and critiqued Tiger's swing again at the end of last week. I hope Tiger shoves those comments up Faldo's you know what real fast.

[quote name='Frankie Lob Wedge' timestamp='1405460202' post='9707341']
[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1405460064' post='9707323']

[/quote]

[/quote]

My bad. I guess when I saw Tiger and skanks - I had an aversion to avoid thinking of skanks again.
[/quote]

TW will take a skank over a shank any day, Frankie ; )

[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1405463110' post='9707711']
Todd Lewis said on Saturday that Tiger missed "most" of his fairways. Other than that, no one seems to be able to provide any evidence that he's in poor form.

The guys he's played with said he looked good, and Frank Nobilo and Rich Lerner said he seemed satisfied with where he was at.

Nick Faldo is a .... . He thinks he knows what he's talking about but most of the time his goal is just to say something negative or downgrading. He went and critiqued Tiger's swing again at the end of last week. I hope Tiger shoves those comments up Faldo's opening real fast.
[/quote]

TW's current form not withstanding, I find it beyond strange that you would think that Nick Faldo only "thinks he knows what he's talking about".

Tiger Woods may or may not be playing well at this point- indeed we shall find out soon enough. What's indisputable is NF's body of work in the game of golf- he knows as much about the swing as anyone else on the planet. If he's not qualified to critique a fellow player's game, tell me, who is...

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1405463591' post='9707779']

Nick Faldo is a .... . He thinks he knows what he's talking about but most of the time his goal is just to say something negative or downgrading. He went and critiqued Tiger's swing again at the end of last week. I hope Tiger shoves those comments up Faldo's opening real fast.
[/quote]

TW's current form not withstanding, I find it beyond strange that you would think that Nick Faldo only "thinks he knows what he's talking about".

Tiger Woods may or may not be playing well at this point- indeed we shall find out soon enough. What's indisputable is NF's body of work in the game of golf- he knows as much about the swing as anyone else on the planet. If he's not qualified to critique a fellow player's game, tell me, who is...
[/quote]

I am well aware of Faldo's accomplishments and contributions in golf, as well as his gained knowledge. But he does a poor job at translating his knowledge and expressing it in an accurate and professional way on-air. This has been the case for many years.

[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1405464209' post='9707849']
[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1405463591' post='9707779']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am well aware of Faldo's accomplishments and contributions in golf, as well as his gained knowledge. But he does a poor job at translating his knowledge and expressing it in an accurate and professional way on-air. This has been the case for many years.
[/quote]

Then perhaps you should state that very personal opinion regarding his on air delivery and completely leave out the notion that "he only thinks he knows what he is talking about"...

And how exactly should he improve? Never critique/utter something negative? He's paid for his opinion- clearly CBS approves of his approach.

Brandel Chamblee. (sarc) Yeah Faldo only has three green jackets and three claret jugs. What does he know.

Tiger's looks kind of fat here:

Woods_2972926b.jpg

Not Hal Sutton-ish or Craig Stadler but getting there.