The Wager...

Pigems

Pigs,

while a full Callaway bag may be tempting I'd hang on to your Titleists. I really think you'd be making a lateral move.

As for left hand low. I'm on day three and the basement results are encouraging. We'll see how tomorrow's simulated round plays out. I think I'm in need of a change on the greens. I figure I've got an entire winter to work on my stroke. I'll be ready to bust out in the spring.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff PD, at least your now holding one club the "right" way eh. What do you do for putting practice? Certain routine or what you feel like on the day?

Definitely not trading my cb's 100%!! I was willing to entertain the trade if I could do it without losing anything from the current bag. But I couldn't make it out so no dice. Oh swell, there's always another day. But I definitely would have went "out" for a set of tour authentic Cally prototype mb's if I could have got them on trade, that's one of those deals that doesn't come along too often :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Well I was the sole bidder on my shaft so I won it uncontested for $11 and change CDN, it still ended up being $46 with shipping. Oh well still the cheapest route, GT online wanted $48 +$10 shipping +tax, and the local golf shop wanted $80 installed. As is I'm into it for $46 and the local shop with charge me $6 to put the tip on that I already have. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I did the math today and even with my cheapness and deal hunting, I'm still into my bag for over $1200. Maybe I'm not as good of a deal hunter as I though lol

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1419302480' post='10631199']
I did the math today and even with my cheapness and deal hunting, I'm still into my bag for over $1200. Maybe I'm not as good of a deal hunter as I though lol
[/quote]

I'm not a deal hunter, but I still refuse to add up the money I've spent on golf the past few years. It could get a week bit scary. Just purchased a new shaft puller this evening from the GolfWorks. I'm upgrading as a friend has asked me to install a set of graphite shafts for him over the holidays.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1419303512' post='10631283']
[/quote]

I'm not a deal hunter, but I still refuse to add up the money I've spent on golf the past few years. It could get a week bit scary. Just purchased a new shaft puller this evening from the GolfWorks. I'm upgrading as a friend has asked me to install a set of graphite shafts for him over the holidays.
[/quote]

Sweet deal dude, new tools and a holiday project!! What kind did you get?? What kind of gear is your buddy running?? ;)

Edit: I agree, don't do it. I was very conservative in my adding and didn't account for tax lol

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1419301196' post='10631065']
Good stuff PD, at least your now holding one club the "right" way eh. What do you do for putting practice? Certain routine or what you feel like on the day?

Definitely not trading my cb's 100%!! I was willing to entertain the trade if I could do it without losing anything from the current bag. But I couldn't make it out so no dice. Oh swell, there's always another day. But I definitely would have went "out" for a set of tour authentic Cally prototype mb's if I could have got them on trade, that's one of those deals that doesn't come along too often :)
[/quote]

Here's the issue, I've never really spent much time on my putting. I then wonder why I can't make putts under pressure and/or with regularity.

The Machine has really given me the desire to practice and I'm going to make it a point to hold a putter in my hand every night until the season begins.

I have pieces of masking tape placed across the basement carpet in 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 foot intervals (this is as far back as I can go without running into the peanut's toys). I place a 3" x 3" piece of paper on the ground and I putt to the target. I try to roll the ball over the center of the paper from each distance. 3 putts each station; if I miss I start over. I'll sometimes do this with left hand only and right hand only. I'll sometimes putt between a 'gate' that is marked by two balls. My latest drill is to create a 'gate' and then roll a ball across a 4' x 2" ruler. The goal is to keep the ball on the ruler until it hits the other side. The rule is 1/8" thick so I have to concentrate on hitting up on the ball. If I'm not square at impact the ball will dart off the ruler on the left or right (my miss is typically right). I'm also working on ball position and the length of my stroke (both back and through).

We'll see how all goes.

I was just able to successfully sight up for the website Putter Talk. A new frontier for the PD.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1419303667' post='10631299']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Sweet deal dude, new tools and a holiday project!! What kind did you get?? What kind of gear is your buddy running?? ;)

Edit: I agree, don't do it. I was very conservative in my adding and didn't account for tax lol
[/quote]

Definitely not for me. I originally purchased an economy shaft extractor and like all things I should have spent the extra money for the upgrade. GolfWorks ran a Christmas promotion and dropped $30 from the shaft extractor I should have purchased so I jumped on it (not to mention balls I don't need, a shoe tree, and a brush).

My playing partner carries Callaway Apex irons. He originally had steel shafts, but was struggling with elbow soreness. After my switch to graphite he wanted to follow suit. We ordered a set of Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue shafts and a set of grips today (both were on sale and fit his requirements). I'm excited to build, and really like building for friends.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1419304248' post='10631347']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1419303667' post='10631299']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Definitely not for me. I originally purchased an economy shaft extractor and like all things I should have spent the extra money for the upgrade. GolfWorks ran a Christmas promotion and dropped $30 from the shaft extractor I should have purchased so I jumped on it (not to mention balls I don't need, a shoe tree, and a brush).

My playing partner carries Callaway Apex irons. He originally had steel shafts, but was struggling with elbow soreness. After my switch to graphite he wanted to follow suit. We ordered a set of Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue shafts and a set of grips today (both were on sale and fit his requirements). I'm excited to build, and really like building for friends.
[/quote]

That's awesome dude, nothing like helping out a friend. Especially when it's golf related. Also your right about the tools, it pays to just get the good one the first time. Nothing quite like a finely crafted tool to do a job with :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

At the time I just wasn't certain how serious I was going to get about building. Now my 'shop' is filled with tools and I've built far more than I ever thought I could. Definitely an exciting and rewarding hobby. I believe this is one reason why I've purchased so much equipment this year. I just want to tinker.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1419305067' post='10631405']
At the time I just wasn't certain how serious I was going to get about building. Now my 'shop' is filled with tools and I've built far more than I ever thought I could. Definitely an exciting and rewarding hobby. I believe this is one reason why I've purchased so much equipment this year. I just want to tinker.
[/quote]

How expensive is it to get into club building with some basic but respectable tools?

I should join in the Wager, but with playing golf instead of buying stuff. Yet another round of horrible ball striking, distance control, and direction leaving me in scramble mode for 18 holes. 4 balls into the "lateral hazard' (i.e. environmental habitat areas) and an 83. No love on the course... drain a 54 foot putt and then 3-putt 4 greens.

I think the MB's are going to be put away until I can prove myself worthy to hit them again.

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1419302264' post='10631179']
Well I was the sole bidder on my shaft so I won it uncontested for $11 and change CDN, it still ended up being $46 with shipping. Oh well still the cheapest route, GT online wanted $48 +$10 shipping +tax, and the local golf shop wanted $80 installed. As is I'm into it for $46 and the local shop with charge me $6 to put the tip on that I already have. :)
[/quote]

Congrats!! It pays to buy the older stuff. Everyone runs to the
latest and greatest.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree, lol. Never do the math. As the old saying goes "Don't
ask the question if you can't handle the answer!"

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1419314123' post='10631829']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1419302264' post='10631179']
[/quote]
Congrats!! It pays to buy the older stuff. Everyone runs to the
latest and greatest.
[/quote]

TY sir. No need for the latest and greatest here, Yesterdays gear will work just fine for this little Piggy, thanks for the recomendations fellas :)

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1419314404' post='10631847']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1419304066' post='10631335']
This is post #4,000, wow, I can't believe I've made 4,000 posts, I wish I had something meaningful or insightful to say lol
[/quote]

LOL, just be yourself Pigs. That's good in all our books I'm sure!!
[/quote]

Thats good then, because I'm not really sure how to be anyone else :D

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1419311165' post='10631731']
I should join in the Wager, but with playing golf instead of buying stuff. Yet another round of horrible ball striking, distance control, and direction leaving me in scramble mode for 18 holes. 4 balls into the "lateral hazard' (i.e. environmental habitat areas) and an 83. No love on the course... drain a 54 foot putt and then 3-putt 4 greens.

I think the MB's are going to be put away until I can prove myself worthy to hit them again.
[/quote]

MB's are pretty demanding GG, even for the fella who plays daily. Maybe a combo set instead?? :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1419307515' post='10631569']
[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1419305067' post='10631405']
[/quote]

How expensive is it to get into club building with some basic but respectable tools?
[/quote]

I've purchased many 'items' this year and continue to add to the collection. I do not own a loft/lie machine, frequency analyzer, grinding station, putter bending machine, or many of the 'extras' that you can purchase. Here's a list of the items that I have in my 'shop' with the approximate prices that I paid (as per a search of the GolfWorks catalogue). There are higher end options available but I've gone the inexpensive route given that this is a hobby and not a profession. If I can't do something (eg. loft/lie bending) I take a trip to a local club builder.

Digital scale ($60)
Swing weight scale ($100)
Belt sander ($85)
Chop saw ($60)
Shaft puller ($160)
Vice ($50)
Heat gun ($40)
Torch ($40)
Hosel cleaning tools ($20)
Drill ($60)
Rotary tool + kit ($100)
Caliper set ($30)
Gauges (grip, shaft ID, ($16)
Club ruler(s) ($60)
Compressor + attachments (re-gripping) ($120) - tried the standard method with solvents, catch-pans, removal tools and will never go back after using air.
Utility knife ($10)
Accessories (epoxy, shims, ferrules, shafting beads, bore plugs, tip weights, lead tape, tungsten powder, drill bits, sanding sticks, counterbalancing weights, head tac) ($200+)

So I'm probably in the range of $1200 - $1500 as of this moment.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='HitEmTrue' timestamp='1419351498' post='10633097']
Hey guys, just want to wish you ya'll a Merry Christmas! Been too buried with projects to even think about golf.
[/quote]

And a Merry Christmas to you and yours. Let the hiatus fuel your passion for the game.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Geezer PD, you may have to build my next set of clubs lol. Are you gonna try to become a Wishon builder/fitter??

Just got confirmation that my shaft is shipped already :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

20 pages on since my last visit and I see Pigems has thoroughly cracked ;) $30 in and from the looks of things he's still buying stuff!

I've not spent anything on my bag as everything saved has been poured into the Torino......somehow $2500 of potential club material has gone into a whole load of automotive goodies from Summit Racing :D

Merry Christmas to you too :)

I'm not sure if thats cheating or not :p although I have somehow managed to get the parents to put some money towards new set of front tyres so thats kind of the same!

I've also realise I never got round to posting a picture of the new putter I picked up before starting work, I'll sort that out a wee bit later! After I drop another $1200 on Snap On tools :russian_roulette: at least its not $1200 of new Byron putter or Scratch blades (I got their email about sales!)

Merry Christmas to all you Canadians!! Time to take a nice couple of weeks off from golf. Perfect timing to start playing like garbage ... all the courses here think they can charge an arm and a leg due to the holidays. Courses I play for $23 weekdays are now charging "weekend holiday" rates ... of $70. And they wonder why play is down... just saying.

I think I am going to do some ice skating this weekend instead of even looking at a golf club... I need the exercise.

Nuggets,

Great to see that you are still alive and driving. Funny how 20 pages can pass in the Wager thread and not much changes. Pigems is still finding a way to use the rules (and his wife) to his advantage. The man, and his tactics, are hard to beat.

Merry Christmas from 'across the pond'.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

On the Christmas front: my son is currently singing a rousing rendition of 'Police Navi-da-ha'. I've tried to convince him that the lyrics actually say "Feliz Navidad" but he's adamant that the radio can't be wrong. The fact that my wife is a police dispatcher makes this so much more entertaining.

To all those members in law enforcement that keep me (and my family) safe I say to you 'Police Navi-da-ha'. Merry Christmas!!

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*