The Wager...

Pigems

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421197745' post='10742499']
Just checked it on the calculator and it came almost identical to what the chart predicted. That some pretty cool stuff :)
200g Head+Adapter@46"=D6/D7

Balance Point 34.5" with 314g Total weight=D7.5
[/quote]

Good to know the chart worked out. The chart is probably basing it on a stock 50g grip, so nice the Leaderboard gives a second opinion so to speak with total weight, with whatever grip is on there, measuring from the "balance point" fulcrum for the LB estimate/calc. Of course a lot of folks don't care about non-standard grip weight how it affects the scale, or perhaps for your own feel. Just an observation as you have three diff grips on these, but prob all are close to standard weight.

I just paid my fitter today to install the steelfibre shafts in my new Vokeys, check and adjust SW as needed with length and powder, and he tweaked the lie on a couple of my wedges. He does a great job, and is reasonable and we discuss the process and options, so I am very much included. But it must be so satisfying having the skills to try these things out yourself. [b]Bravo. [/b]

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421198253' post='10742551']
[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1421197933' post='10742531']
Pigs,

I didn't realize you had epoxied the shaft into place and it had cured. I thought it was a dry fit that was stuck on there really good.

Did you dry fit the shaft and adaptor prior to adding the epoxy?
[/quote]

Oh yeah she's glued lol, didn't dry fit because I was scared of not getting it back off to be able to glue it. Rookie Mistake #3 :D
[/quote]

Think of it this way. If you can't get the shaft on and off when it's dry, how are you going to add epoxy? I add centering beads to my epoxy in many of my builds as I find there is too much wiggle room during my dry fits.

If you add the grip prior to the installation in the head/adaptor be sure poke a hole in the butt end of the shaft (through the grip tape) to allow air to escape. Otherwise the shaft can move out of the bore/adaptor as the air has no where to escape. Want to save you from 'rookie mistake #4'.

Been through all of these once Pigs. I too have had to seek professional assistance for a stubborn adaptor. Start hanging out in the ClubWRX forum. There are some incredibly knowledgeable members in there.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1421199655' post='10742671']
Just checked it on the calculator and it came almost identical to what the chart predicted. That some pretty cool stuff :)

[/quote]

Good to know the chart worked out. The chart is probably basing it on a stock 50g grip, so nice the Leaderboard gives a second opinion so to speak with total weight, with whatever grip is on there, measuring from the "balance point" fulcrum for the LB estimate/calc. Of course a lot of folks don't care about non-standard grip weight how it affects the scale, or perhaps for your own feel. Just an observation as you have three diff grips on these, but prob all are close to standard weight.

I just paid my fitter today to install the steelfibre shafts in my new Vokeys, check and adjust SW as needed with length and powder, and he tweaked the lie on a couple of my wedges. He does a great job, and is reasonable and we discuss the process and options, so I am very much included. But it must be so satisfying having the skills to try these things out yourself. [b]Bravo. [/b]
[/quote]

Yeah it worked great, thanks again for that link. I haven't decided what grips I'm going to go with this year yet, I did GP Tour Velvets last year and liked them. I might want to try Cords this year though, I just threw that blue grip on there so I could at least hold it and get a little feel for it in my hands tonight. My wife is asleep so I couldn't turn the compressor in order to pull a GPTV from another club to put on, so I stole one of the Piglets new grips for the night and slipped it on with windex lol.

Thank you for the kind words, I wouldn't have the confidence to attempt this stuff without all your guys great help. TYVM everyone who had a hand inthis project. Also you are correct, it's quite satisfying to DIY I must say, and I'm not even done yet :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1421199793' post='10742689']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421198253' post='10742551']
[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1421197933' post='10742531']
Pigs,

I didn't realize you had epoxied the shaft into place and it had cured. I thought it was a dry fit that was stuck on there really good.

Did you dry fit the shaft and adaptor prior to adding the epoxy?
[/quote]

Oh yeah she's glued lol, didn't dry fit because I was scared of not getting it back off to be able to glue it. Rookie Mistake #3 :D
[/quote]

Think of it this way. If you can't get the shaft on and off when it's dry, how are you going to add epoxy? I add centering beads to my epoxy in many of my builds as I find there is too much wiggle room during my dry fits.

If you add the grip prior to the installation in the head/adaptor be sure poke a hole in the butt end of the shaft (through the grip tape) to allow air to escape. Otherwise the shaft can move out of the bore/adaptor as the air has no where to escape. Want to save you from 'rookie mistake #4'.

Been through all of these once Pigs. I too have had to seek professional assistance for a stubborn adaptor. Start hanging out in the ClubWRX forum. There are some incredibly knowledgeable members in there.
[/quote]

Hanging out in the equipment/Tech forums is what landed me in the Wager in the first place hahaha. Thanks for the heads up on RM#4, I actually thought about that when it first got stuck. I was wondering if the tip of the shaft was plugged and not letting the air escape the adapter and stopping it from reaching the bottom. I even tried to shine a flashlight down the shaft from the butt end to see lol. I'm glad no one had a camera at that moment lol.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421200561' post='10742777']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah it worked great, thanks again for that link. I haven't decided what grips I'm going to go with this year yet, I did GP Tour Velvets last year and liked them. I might want to try Cords this year though, I just threw that blue grip on there so I could at least hold it and get a little feel for it in my hands tonight. My wife is asleep so I couldn't turn the compressor in order to pull a GPTV from another club to put on, so I stole one of the Piglets new grips for the night and slipped it on with windex lol.

Thank you for the kind words, I wouldn't have the confidence to attempt this stuff without all your guys great help. TYVM everyone who had a hand inthis project. Also you are correct, it's quite satisfying to DIY I must say, and I'm not even done yet :)
[/quote]

You're welcome.

We are now going out for dinner. One because I'm feeling lazy (I'm the cook). But mostly to celebrate life, that a year ago today I had a major operation on the upper colon and they managed to get rid of a large pre-cancerous polyp and surrounding tissue before cancer came to visit. Though I was on the site before then, my few months of recovery after the op was made easier by connecting into GolfWrx. This past few months joining in with you guys has been particularly fun and rewarding.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! That i amazing!!!! Make sure you have a great night sir, you deserve it!! I'm glad you found us joined in, you've been a great addition to the party. I hope you and your wife have a wonderful evening of celebration :D

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Myspinonit,

We should celebrate life more often. There's much beauty in this world. We are fortunate to be able to banter about a game with people who share similar interests.

Enjoy the evening.

Mike.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1421201035' post='10742831']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421200561' post='10742777']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You're welcome.

We are now going out for dinner. One because I'm feeling lazy (I'm the cook). But mostly to celebrate life, that a year ago today I had a major operation on the upper colon and they managed to get rid of a large pre-cancerous polyp and surrounding tissue before cancer came to visit. Though I was on the site before then, my few months of recovery after the op was made easier by connecting into GolfWrx. This past few months joining in with you guys has been particularly fun and rewarding.
[/quote]

Glad to hear you are cancer free and healthy! Now go celebrate and live it up!

[/quote]

Pigems, may I ask what software you are using in this project?

[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1421205903' post='10743263']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Our sure can sir, here's the links :)

Here's the link for the SW estimator - http://www.leaderboard.com/SWINGWT.HTM

Here's the link for SW Chart - [url="http://www.golf-components.com/swing-weight-chart-woods.html#65"]http://www.golf-comp...t-woods.html#65[/url]

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Well my mind was just Blown!! I was working on a work order in a unit someone lives in and look what they had sitting on a shelf!!! You can buy this stuff for real apparently. Here's a link...

[url="http://www.thedrinkshop.com/pages/pagetext.php?pg_name=duffbeer"]http://www.thedrinks...g_name=duffbeer[/url]

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421233160' post='10744069']
[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1421205903' post='10743263']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Our sure can sir, here's the links :)

Here's the link for the SW estimator - [url="http://www.leaderboard.com/SWINGWT.HTM"]http://www.leaderboard.com/SWINGWT.HTM[/url]

Here's the link for SW Chart - [url="http://www.golf-components.com/swing-weight-chart-woods.html#65"]http://www.golf-comp...t-woods.html#65[/url]
[/quote]

Thank you sir! I think, mayhaps, I'll be dabbling in the craft myself. :D

Well I just dropped the shaft off to Golf Central by my place, the builder there was pretty certain he could get it off and make it work. He thinks it's the right size tip, said it most likely wouldn't have went in at all if it was a 335 tip. I probably didn't sand it down enough or used to much epoxy, or the tip of the shaft is plugged and didn't let the air out. But he was confident he could get it to work, and maybe even by tonight :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421245225' post='10744617']
Well my mind was just Blown!! I was working on a work order in a unit someone lives in and look what they had sitting on a shelf!!! You can buy this stuff for real apparently. Here's a link...

[url="http://www.thedrinkshop.com/pages/pagetext.php?pg_name=duffbeer"]http://www.thedrinks...g_name=duffbeer[/url]
[/quote]

Good find Pigs! You need to post it in the ignorance thread, too! :D

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1421267500' post='10746757']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421266532' post='10746653']
Well Pat at Golf Central was able to Undo my rookie mistake and it only cost me $5. I even got it back already to test out tonight :)
[/quote]

Cool.
[/quote]

Very cool! I was so excited to get it back I forgot to ask him what the issue ended up being lol

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Well that may have honestly been the worst round I've played in a long time, even worse than last week. The ONLY bright spot in the entire round was a birdie on 17, hit my tee shot to within 8' with a 5w and won $12 for the lowest score on that hole tonight. Other than that it was like I unlearned everything I've learned over the past year lol. Just brutal, but at least it can only go up from here. I tried my new shaft and I think I might like it. I like the weight but it need to be cut down and a better grip put on. I couldn't use it with that paper thin grip on it tonight. I hit about ten shot with it before hand and went back to my PXv for the round. I need to get over for some range time so sort my swing out, it's a complete mess right now.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

PIgs,

On Saturday I battled my regular playing partner in simulated match-play. Bay Harbor was the venue. Hit the ball poorly off the tee (averaged 210 yards) but managed to hit 10 fairways and 8 greens. Scrambled like a madman, getting up and down 8 times. My playing partner definitely played better than me tee to green, but I hung in there and managed to capitalize on a few holes. All told, I earned a dollar for my efforts. On the way home I was conflicted. I felt like I had struck the ball so poorly, but I mucked it around and posted a good score (76). I was proud that I hung in there.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

I'm happy that the shaft was made whole again, and at a great price. Sometimes it's best to leave the work to a professional. I'm always struck by how effortless they make this work seem. Proper training and the right tools make a world of difference.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1421289220' post='10748835']
PIgs,

On Saturday I battled my regular playing partner in simulated match-play. Bay Harbor was the venue. Hit the ball poorly off the tee (averaged 210 yards) but managed to hit 10 fairways and 8 greens. Scrambled like a madman, getting up and down 8 times. My playing partner definitely played better than me tee to green, but I hung in there and managed to capitalize on a few holes. All told, I earned a dollar for my efforts. On the way home I was conflicted. I felt like I had struck the ball so poorly, but I mucked it around and posted a good score (76). I was proud that I hung in there.
[/quote]

That's great that you were able to battle through it like that, nice round PD. That's when all the hard work starts to shine though, I would be mighty proud of it too sir :)

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1421289400' post='10748845']
I'm happy that the shaft was made whole again, and at a great price. Sometimes it's best to leave the work to a professional. I'm always struck by how effortless they make this work seem. Proper training and the right tools make a world of difference.
[/quote]

TY sir, I'm quite happy myself and he did a nice job. The few shots I did take with it I liked it, didn't launch any higher lol, but I only hit a few shots and wasn't warmed up. I felt like I had a better feel for where the club was in my swing though with the heavier weight, not sure if it's because of the heavier overall weight or the heavier SW though. More testing will be needed :)

I'm not really liking my X2 Hot hybrid though and seeing as I can't get a new one yet. I'm thinking about reshafting my Wishon LI and giving it another go. Or maybe even just pulling it apart and tipping it a little bit to stiffen it up a touch. Hmm, I think I just found my next project :D

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421287018' post='10748657']
Well that may have honestly been the worst round I've played in a long time, even worse than last week. The ONLY bright spot in the entire round was a birdie on 17, hit my tee shot to within 8' with a 5w and won $12 for the lowest score on that hole tonight. Other than that it was like I unlearned everything I've learned over the past year lol. Just brutal, but at least it can only go up from here. I tried my new shaft and I think I might like it. I like the weight but it need to be cut down and a better grip put on. I couldn't use it with that paper thin grip on it tonight. I hit about ten shot with it before hand and went back to my PXv for the round. I need to get over for some range time so sort my swing out, it's a complete mess right now.
[/quote]

Do you have some video to compare to when you were striping it on that special front nine? Or any other time you were hitting it really well, for that matter?

[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1421292102' post='10749073']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421287018' post='10748657']
[/quote]

Do you have some video to compare to when you were striping it on that special front nine? Or any other time you were hitting it really well, for that matter?
[/quote]

As a matter of fact I do, thanks for reminding me. The simulator saves a swing video of your best shots of each round and you can watch them when you log into their site. I'm gonna have to go back and look, TYVM for the great idea to compare the two :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

When you're recreating the feel of those swings, be sure to finish with a tour pose. Style points, my friend!

That sounds like a great SIM setup... how does it recognize the best shots? Is it based on the calculated position of the ball after it has been struck? Or is it based purely on some sort of algorithm of body positions?