2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

BTW, there is a listing of mine on eBay for a set of NEW Macgregor Toney Penna Centenial TP 63 Irons including the display case. #561/1000. If you are interested!

I need to pay for these new WB's somehow! LOL!

CC

Just some photos of the clubs I'm learning to play with

IMG_20150724_103251122_zpsjl5crsqu.jpg

What club is that Nella? I can only see the crown..

CC

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1434669393' post='11779944']
I've been scavenging today through some of the rental bags and all of the unclaimed clubs that languish in the basement of the clubhouse I work at. I've found a couple of gems: [list]
[*]a Ping Zing putter with 85020 Zip code in what appears to be manganese-bronze (I'm uncertain until it's stripped of the patina and corrosion)
[/list]
[/quote]

Just brought this home on Thursday and have cleaned the head up. The grip is in need or replacing, but the club is still playable as is.

Correspondence with Ping revealed that the original Zing is indeed manganese bronze and they began manufacture in 1971. We couldn't determine the exact date for this club as it was made prior to stamping with serial numbers. Of interest, you can still buy this exact putter direct from Ping today! The best part was that this club was free!

[attachment=2871484:IMAG0105.jpg]

[attachment=2871486:IMAG0106_BURST001.jpg]

[attachment=2871488:IMAG0107.jpg]

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1437765344' post='12013818']
[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1434669393' post='11779944']
I've been scavenging today through some of the rental bags and all of the unclaimed clubs that languish in the basement of the clubhouse I work at. I've found a couple of gems: [list]
[*]a Ping Zing putter with 85020 Zip code in what appears to be manganese-bronze (I'm uncertain until it's stripped of the patina and corrosion)
[/list]
[/quote]

Just brought this home on Thursday and have cleaned the head up. The grip is in need or replacing, but the club is still playable as is.

Correspondence with Ping revealed that the original Zing is indeed manganese bronze and they began manufacture in 1971. We couldn't determine the exact date for this club as it was made prior to stamping with serial numbers. Of interest, you can still buy this exact putter direct from Ping today! The best part was that this club was free!

[attachment=2871484:IMAG0105.jpg]

[attachment=2871486:IMAG0106_BURST001.jpg]

[attachment=2871488:IMAG0107.jpg]
[/quote]

Someday I will get one of those to replace my ping zing 2 steel putter (and retire it promptly of course). Maybe when I lose 30lbs and shoot 90 on my home course that will be my reward.

Older Ping putters are quite plentiful on eBay. Prices vary depending upon model and perceived collectibility.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

To hot to play today and had errands to run. Perfect opportunity to do a little scrounging (i. e. thrifting). Violated one of my scrounging rules.....buying less than a full set of irons. But it wasn't just any set. Found a partial set of Hogan Redlines (3 - 8) with Apex 4's and original grips. Fantastic shape, no browning and minimal bag chatter. Pretty excited as the Redlines have been on my watch list for some time. Paid a little more than I'm use to......$25. Stood there for probably 15 minutes scouring the club racks for the other two missing clubs, but to no avail. Makes me wonder why someone would break-up such a desirable set of irons.

Now the quest begins to find a 9i and E of similar quality to round out the set. Probably end up spending 3x the price of the partial for the fills alone! But you just never know what's going to show up when one least expects it. Now if I can just hit the damn things. Doesn't matter, I can always just set around and fondle them. Couple of crappy phone pics:

[attachment=2876248:IMG_1023.jpg][attachment=2876250:IMG_1024.jpg]

I'd like to thank all my Classic WRX's brethren for educating me on such matters. And because of that education, I'm constantly scrounging for the next find (even after telling myself I'm done, really). Thanks for that as well.

To be continued........

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1438033986' post='12029796']
To hot to play today and had errands to run. Perfect opportunity to do a little scrounging (i. e. thrifting). Violated one of my scrounging rules.....buying less than a full set of irons. But it wasn't just any set. Found a partial set of Hogan Redlines (3 - 8) with Apex 4's and original grips. Fantastic shape, no browning and minimal bag chatter. Pretty excited as the Redlines have been on my watch list for some time. Paid a little more than I'm use to......$25. Stood there for probably 15 minutes scouring the club racks for the other two missing clubs, but to no avail. Makes me wonder why someone would break-up such a desirable set of irons.

Now the quest begins to find a 9i and E of similar quality to round out the set. Probably end up spending 3x the price of the partial for the fills alone! But you just never know what's going to show up when one least expects it. Now if I can just hit the damn things. Doesn't matter, I can always just set around and fondle them. Couple of crappy phone pics:

[attachment=2876248:IMG_1023.jpg][attachment=2876250:IMG_1024.jpg]

I'd like to thank all my Classic WRX's brethren for educating me on such matters. And because of that education, I'm constantly scrounging for the next find (even after telling myself I'm done, really). Thanks for that as well.

To be continued........
[/quote]

Very nice find! As a Hogan collector, these clubs are at the very top of my collection! Personally my set includes 2 - EQ + SW and are virtually new condition. I sold my set of Gamers a while back and will be looking to replace them again!

Good luck finding the additional clubs to complete the set!

CC

Nice find Fella! Hmm...you've got me thinking twice about that minty set of Hogan Edge 3-9 minus the 8i for $45...

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Thx guys. HABs I thought of doing that very thing. Unfortunately, the thrift I found these at is not exactly nearby. I was circulating outside of my normal environs. But it may be worth one more trip just to be sure. These had to be fresh merch. They looked just so different setting in the racks next to all the Allieds, etc. Another monger would have recognized this and scarfed them up.

Edit add: At another thrift stop (was kinda pumped after the above) while rummaging the bins, a older gentleman excused himself and asked if he could have a look. There was this TP "Original" driver there, a little to beat up for my tastes. After a few moments, said to him, that was the only club in the pile that has any merit. He's says "you know that's persimmon don't you?" Said sure, as opposed to laminated. He asks if I know anything about old golf clubs. We then proceed to have a 10 minute discussion about vintage golf clubs. Him sorta testing me about what I knew, me doing the same to him. Going toe to toe! He tells me that he's got over 40 sets of this and that and someone who sells his stuff on eBay for a 20% cut of the proceeds. Parted with a handshake and good lucks. Should have got his phone number...... not.

Well....finished the club head.[color=#000000] Took it apart, cleaned it up, epoxied the small lead weight back in place in the bottom of the club head under the sole plate and then started to work on the club. The face lines came out all right. I used a[/color][url="http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/4,6081.html"] micro-stop[/url][color=#000000]/118 degree [/color][url="http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/4,4235.html"]countersink[/url][color=#000000] from the Yard Stare on the face screw chamfers but any lateral movement,"at all" when making the chamfer with this tool allows for an "out-of round" chamfer hence the white paint around the perimeter of 3 of the four face screws. The colour is a anniline or water based "Light Honey Oak" colour stain from Lee Valley. The stamping on the crown turned out O.K. About 6 coats total of lacquer and then 2 coats of Simoniz wood paste wax, each hand rubbed to a shine - I believe just like it was done at the MacGregor factory. I still have to put a replacement 13 inch leather wrap grip on it. Year of production? There is no,"Oil Hardened" stamped on the sole of the club head at the toe. That practice(Marketing Strategy) started after WW2 so I'm guessing 1940 or 41. By the way, it is a General Line NOT Professional Line persimmon wood driver. Interesting sole plate. Some golfers call the sole plate a,"Bears Claw". [/color]

[color=#000000]Max[/color]
[color=#000000]Canada[/color]

"One Day At a Time"

[quote name='Maxwell' timestamp='1438086514' post='12033268']
Last week I dropped into a local Thrift Store and found a early or late 40's Men's R/H MacGregor "Ben Hogan" 1442? driver. The leather wrap grip was gone but bituminized kraft build-up paper was still present. It had an end cap with wooden plug still solidly in the shaft. The shaft had moderate rust build-up on it with a 3" long wear spot. It had no dings or dents and appeared to be straight. The persimmon wood club head had no cracks in it and the hosel appeared to have no cracks or splits either. Wide persimmon wood grain lines. The sole plate had many dings and dents but,"worn" would be the correct word to describe it. All the sole plate screws were present as well as the shaft tip screw and back screw. Picked it up for $2.00 cdn which is the equivalent to $1.00 us today(roll eyes). Anyway, the restoration is under way. Great wx up here in Canada and the temperatures are where we like it...30's.
Max
Canada
[/quote]

Nice club, or it will be once you finish the restoration process!

I have one of these in my collection currently and love the unique "claw" soleplate!

CC

Nice pickup Maxwell. Wait a minute, that looks familiar.....runs to basement for a look........yep, got a 3W that looks just like that. Claw foot (?) sole plate, original shaft and grip, has reg. #1332, small crack in the top of the head. Was part of a freebie haul last fall. Someone had started a overhaul that didn't go very far.

[attachment=2877528:IMG_0572.JPG][attachment=2877546:IMG_0573.JPG]

Most likely never going to get around to restoring it. You can have it if you want. PM if of interest.

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1438088917' post='12033478']
Nice pickup Maxwell. Wait a minute, that looks familiar.....runs to basement for a look........yep, got a 3W that looks just like that. Claw foot (?) sole plate, original shaft and grip, has reg. #1332, small crack in the top of the head. Was part of a freebie haul last fall. Someone had started a overhaul that didn't go very far.

[attachment=2877528:IMG_0572.JPG][attachment=2877546:IMG_0573.JPG]

Most likely never going to get around to restoring it. You can have it if you want. PM if of interest.
[/quote]

Thanks Fellaheen51 for the offer but I'm pretty certain I have a set or two of this make and model and a few earlier year models as well. - Max

"One Day At a Time"

[quote name='CanadianCrippler' timestamp='1438088869' post='12033470']
[quote name='Maxwell' timestamp='1438086514' post='12033268']
Last week I dropped into a local Thrift Store and found a early or late 40's Men's R/H MacGregor "Ben Hogan" 1442? driver. The leather wrap grip was gone but bituminized kraft build-up paper was still present. It had an end cap with wooden plug still solidly in the shaft. The shaft had moderate rust build-up on it with a 3" long wear spot. It had no dings or dents and appeared to be straight. The persimmon wood club head had no cracks in it and the hosel appeared to have no cracks or splits either. Wide persimmon wood grain lines. The sole plate had many dings and dents but,"worn" would be the correct word to describe it. All the sole plate screws were present as well as the shaft tip screw and back screw. Picked it up for $2.00 cdn which is the equivalent to $1.00 us today(roll eyes). Anyway, the restoration is under way. Great wx up here in Canada and the temperatures are where we like it...30's.
Max
Canada
[/quote]

Nice club, or it will be once you finish the restoration process!

I have one of these in my collection currently and love the unique "claw" soleplate!

CC
[/quote]

Thanks CC - Max

"One Day At a Time"

Found my first thrift shop persimmon today. A no name 3wood in really good shape. Doesn't look like it's ever hit a ball. [attachment=2880288:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1438216257.371136.jpg][attachment=2880290:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1438216274.128432.jpg][attachment=2880292:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1438216289.117780.jpg][attachment=2880294:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1438216304.409211.jpg][attachment=2880296:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1438216317.082481.jpg]

The old grip rite is in great shape. And the best thing it was discount day so grand total was $2.11. Can't wait to take her out. May even become my regular 3 wood.

Congrats TL! Handsome looking club you have there. Maybe a real find based on the info in the other thread. Be sure to give a try. "Discount Day", sounds like you were at "Sally's" (Salvation Army)? Wed. is 25% off senior day, at least around here. While on the way to the course yesterday, a quick pop-in to a Sally's along the way. Nothing in the rack. Good. On my way out, spotted a golf bag sitting over by the books (?). Wasn't going to buy it, started out the door, then remembered it was senior discount day. What the heck, it's only $15.00. Scooped.

Daiwa Coach golf bag with matching head covers, in great shape. Ladies clubs are Maxfli/Dunlop 1,3,5,7 lammy woods. Maxfli blue dot (?) 3-PW irons and Spalding Sandra Haynie SI.

[attachment=2880826:IMG_1026.JPG]

Picked this up for the Mrs. thinking she might like the bag. You know, the whole "Coach" thing. Showed it to her when I got home....."look what I found for you honey". Her response........."kind of flowery isn't it? Let me think about it".

I tried.

Great pick-up!

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

finally i got out to play 9 holes with the redlines i bought at the flea market a few months back. do they live up to the hogan redline mystique? well i say they do in spades! i hit every fairyway-hit 6-9 greens in reg . 5 pars -3 bogys and 1 birdie for a +2 score . only one shot off from my lowest score ever. these things are precision defined hard to ask for a better preforming iron than these. almost aced a par 3 with the 8 iron . a kick in birdie. wonderfull feel on well struck shots. just amazing irons

73 hogan apex

[quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1438565511' post='12066976']
finally i got out to play 9 holes with the redlines i bought at the flea market a few months back. do they live up to the hogan redline mystique? well i say they do in spades! i hit every fairyway-hit 6-9 greens in reg . 5 pars -3 bogys and 1 birdie for a +2 score . only one shot off from my lowest score ever. these things are precision defined hard to ask for a better preforming iron than these. almost aced a par 3 with the 8 iron . a kick in birdie. wonderfull feel on well struck shots. just amazing irons
[/quote]

Great stuff Dan, and congratulations on your play. I know I could not be happier with the set I got this year. First set of irons that have made me NOT want to fool around with other clubs. Old habits die hard and I pull out other old favourites now and again, but more and more often I catch myself thinking that I'll have more fun if I stick with the redlines. Must be something in the heads, as after a bit of half-arsed tweaking by your truly, mine are a bit of a jumble of mismatched grips, shafts, lengths and swingweights but I'm frightened to do anything with them to make them more uniform as they play so well as they are.