2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Does Tiger really need an OEM sponsor?

slicer365

The man is loaded. His 5th generation kids have their lives set. Why does he need Nike? It seems like Nike needs Tiger.

The way I understand it is, Tiger left Titleist, and Titleist has a policy of, "once you leave don't come back, we won't give you a contract."

O.k., fine, Tiger could walk in any golf store and hire a world class fitter, buy his Titleist driver (which he played lights with) and maybe return to form.

Why can't Tiger be independent? Most golfers would love to be.

All I'm saying is Tiger could be.

Bored at work, sorry!!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.k., fine, Tiger could walk in any golf store and hire a world class fitter, buy his Titleist driver (which he played lights with) and maybe return to form.

Seems to me he has been doing pretty fine with his equipment. Just my opinion. And don't forget those clubs in his bag aren't the same ones you see on the shelf at your local retailer.

+ the fact that the OEM (e.g. Nike) actually designs for him. He's not just getting custom fitted...they are actualy designing stuff for him. Big difference there.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

oh yeah, its definitely the clubs that are holding him back... When tiger is on point he could run over the field with hickory shafts.

You guys act like you don't play golf. Like you've never gone through a tough stretch where you didn't play well. Tiger may be the best golfer ever, but he is still human.

Nike design stuff specifically for Tiger. It took them 2 years for them to get a waterproof jacket just right for him. When they go that far, it's obvious he'll use it when it's tailored just for him

I think Tiger should just buy his own manufacturing company...

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w NEWTON MOTION SHAFT 6 DOT
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK C-TAPER 120 BLACK
Wedges: RTX6 50* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

I'm no sure why he would leave.

10. He is number one in the world.

9. Nobody can touch his "A" game, and very few can touch his "B," "C," or even his "F" game unless they are on.

8. He spends none of his own money for development of his personal clubs. Not fitted, personal.

7. He would gain nothing, and perhaps loose a great deal as far as tailored clubs, if he went independent.

6. He looses millions a year going independent, regardless of whether he spends a dime trying to develop tailored clubs for himself.

5. He stands to own a piece of Nike. Not be paid by, but own.

4. If he left went independent he would pay ALL of his own travel costs, clothing development, shoe development etc., etc.

3. He'd have to develop his own ball. Unless he wants to hire Rock Ishi himself - and then he still has to pay to manufacture the ball.

2. His wife digs the Swoosh.

And the number one reason Tiger should stay with Nike....

1. It isn't the driver that is the problem.

The man is loaded. His 5th generation kids have their lives set. Why does he need Nike? It seems like Nike needs Tiger.

The way I understand it is, Tiger left Titleist, and Titleist has a policy of, "once you leave don't come back, we won't give you a contract."

Why can't Tiger be independent? Most golfers would love to be.

All I'm saying is Tiger could be.

Bored at work, sorry!!!

I really enjoy when people make statements like..."once you leave don't come back, we won't give you a contract"???? Where does this information come from?

Tiger played "lights out with his Titleist driver"....1st of all do your homework. Tiger has never averaged more than 70% off the tee for the season. He also used his PT 3-wood and 2-iron off the tee most of the time...According to him. I understand that the loyalists are really bothered by him not playing Titleist and I feel they are a great company but this is madness. How does this always come up with him.

It does not seem to be a problem for Tiger with his equipment set up.

GolfWeek and GolfWord both reported that as soon as his most recent contract expires, he will be given a % of Nike. Something like 5-10% stake in Nike would appeal to anyone, no matter how much money you have.

Interesting statement about Tiger's endorsement deal. How much do you think MJ gets from Nike? Do you think that they are going to give him 5-10% of Nike Inc??? No companies share holders would agree to give away 5-10% of 14 billion dollars...

Seems to me he has been doing pretty fine with his equipment. Just my opinion. And don't forget those clubs in his bag aren't the same ones you see on the shelf at your local retailer.

Does anyone think that Phil or VJ or any of these Tour players are playing anything from a local retailer? Except Marc Calcavecia putter...

As long as he buys estates like his present one and plans to tear it down and rebuild it and largeish yachts he will need to have the OEMs help pay for those things. Golf winnings alone pale by comparison to outside endorsements.

Ah, and thus the point that we all overlook....the OEM's don't pay for all those things - you and I do. So just remember, every time you buy a dozen Nike Blacks or a Callaway driver, a portion of your hard earned dollars are going directly into these guys pockets. I wonder how much less those balls and clubs would cost if we weren't paying Tiger and Phil over $100 million a year....now that would be intersting.

Srixon Z785 6-P
PXG 0211 4h & 5h
Mizuno T 56/58/60
Tour Edge C721 10.5 w/Ventus Red R
PXG 0341 Proto 3w
Titleist 909 5w
TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Spider
Snell MTB-X

GolfWeek and GolfWord both reported that as soon as his most recent contract expires, he will be given a % of Nike. Something like 5-10% stake in Nike would appeal to anyone, no matter how much money you have.

Interesting statement about Tiger's endorsement deal. How much do you think MJ gets from Nike? Do you think that they are going to give him 5-10% of Nike Inc??? No companies share holders would agree to give away 5-10% of 14 billion dollars...

I wonder if it's really a percentage of all of Nike? I would assume it's more likely a percentage of Nike Golf

I don't know much about stocks and shares an all that, but the company my Dad works for setup a programme where all management staff get shares that solely relate to the profit of the company, hence are mortivated to work well. Maybe Tiger get will get 5-10% of Nike's profit whilst he continues to play their clubs. I'd imagine this would be on top of his standard contract renewal.

Does anyone think that Phil or VJ or any of these Tour players are playing anything from a local retailer? Except Marc Calcavecia putter...

Retief plays an all "retail" bag. Or at least Taylormade says so.

Nike design stuff specifically for Tiger. It took them 2 years for them to get a waterproof jacket just right for him. When they go that far, it's obvious he'll use it when it's tailored just for him

I love this article: Testing equipment with Tiger it's a few years old but it's still a good read.

Cheers

-Keng

If I remember correctly MJ has a stake in his own brand at nike

jumpmanlogo.gif

So I'm assuming thats what they'd do with Tiger, maybe not a stake in Nike itself but they'd market the Tiger brand and give him stake in that

still a good chunk of $$$

If I remember correctly MJ has a stake in his own brand at nike

jumpmanlogo.gif

So I'm assuming thats what they'd do with Tiger, maybe not a stake in Nike itself but they'd market the Tiger brand and give him stake in that

still a good chunk of $$$

I agree with above. I would assume that he gets a percentage of the Nike TW brand sales.

I can't understand why anyone would question why he needs an OEM deal. Tiger is a sportsman and a businessman and at the end of the day, money talks.

Retief plays an all "retail" bag. Or at least Taylormade says so.

A set that is completely setup the way he wants it to be and feel. Not you off the shelf type. they look the same but are differant after the TM clubmakers get the hands on it!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

As long as he buys estates like his present one and plans to tear it down and rebuild it and largeish yachts he will need to have the OEMs help pay for those things. Golf winnings alone pale by comparison to outside endorsements.

Ah, and thus the point that we all overlook....the OEM's don't pay for all those things - you and I do. So just remember, every time you buy a dozen Nike Blacks or a Callaway driver, a portion of your hard earned dollars are going directly into these guys pockets. I wonder how much less those balls and clubs would cost if we weren't paying Tiger and Phil over $100 million a year....now that would be intersting.

They would cost what they do now.

Don't kid yourself, companies will market a product at whatever price point consumers will pay. We all are willing to pay top dollar for ProV's and One's, so where that money is going doesn't effect the price we pay very much. Nike and Titliest (and Tm et.al.) are very good at knowing how much you and I are willing to pay. They have statisticians and marketing people who specialize in nothing but setting price points. they make mistakes, but they are right many time more than they are wrong.

You and I don't pay the pro's endorsement fees - the OEM's do. They would have that income regardless, they have simply decided where to spend it.

Ah, and thus the point that we all overlook....the OEM's don't pay for all those things - you and I do. So just remember, every time you buy a dozen Nike Blacks or a Callaway driver, a portion of your hard earned dollars are going directly into these guys pockets. I wonder how much less those balls and clubs would cost if we weren't paying Tiger and Phil over $100 million a year....now that would be interesting.

They would cost what they do now.

Don't kid yourself, companies will market a product at whatever price point consumers will pay. We all are willing to pay top dollar for ProV's and One's, so where that money is going doesn't effect the price we pay very much. Nike and Titliest (and Tm et.al.) are very good at knowing how much you and I are willing to pay. They have statisticians and marketing people who specialize in nothing but setting price points. they make mistakes, but they are right many time more than they are wrong.

You and I don't pay the pro's endorsement fees - the OEM's do. They would have that income regardless, they have simply decided where to spend it.

You're right about pricing - capitalism rules. Guess I'm just fed-up with seeing athletes being paid outrageous amounts of money without truly "earning" it (like they do when winning a tournament). Don't get me wrong - your worth whatever you can negotiate. But it's getting a bit ridicules.

Srixon Z785 6-P
PXG 0211 4h & 5h
Mizuno T 56/58/60
Tour Edge C721 10.5 w/Ventus Red R
PXG 0341 Proto 3w
Titleist 909 5w
TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Spider
Snell MTB-X