Public course recommendation - Worcester area

geoangus

Four of us are hoping to play a round in October and need to find a spot somewhat equidistant between New Hampshire and the CT shoreline. Worcester area seems to fit the bill at 90 minutes. I don't know much about courses in the area, other than what I read here. Red Tail and Blackstone come to mind, and IIRC, one of the International courses accepts public tee times. I'd like to keep the greens fees well south of $100 if possible ($65ish?). What suggestions do you guys have? If it matters, one of us has a low single-digit cap, the rest of us play anywhere from 8-14 depending upon whether Jekyll or Hyde packs the bag.

Thanks

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
915F 18*
913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52*
Vokey SM4 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Futura (2004)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Tail and Blackstone are both good layouts. A couple of other possibilities - Kettle Brook in Paxton (playing my league outing there in a few weeks), Green Hill is a really nice muni in downtown Worcester, Highfields in Grafton is a very nice course. There's also my home course of Cyprian Keyes in Boylston, but it's a pretty tough track especially the first few times you play it, so might not be the best choice.

Wachusett CC in West Boylston is really nice - scenic in the fall with great long views -- $45 is a deal - https://secure.east.prophetservices.com/WachusettCC

Not a big fan of High Fields -- too many houses in play - feel like your playing through peoples back yards at times...

Holden Hills is pretty good for $45

Cyprian Keys also pretty good but probably more $$$ - you can lose some balls here - newer course with lots of "Environment Sensitive Areas" - no looking for your ball

For your budget I would say Blackstone and Wachusset would be my recommendations followed by Kettlebrook. I have heard good things about Green Hill but never played it.

Steer clear of Highfields. I think it's a very poor course with quirky holes, hazards and OB right next to cart paths and as Allparz points out, too many houses.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

[quote name='allparz' timestamp='1411051134' post='10139997']

Not a big fan of High Fields -- too many houses in play - feel like your playing through peoples back yards at times...[/quote]

Hmmm....you have to be pretty far off the fairway to reach houses, except for maybe #9 and #15. It's definitely in the middle of a housing development, couple of long rides from green to next tee box for sure.

Should also add in a warning about Green HIll, the greens are lightning fast and sloped, so if you play there keep the ball under the hole for sure.... :)

[quote]Cyprian Keys also pretty good but probably more $$$ - you can lose some balls here - newer course with lots of "Environment Sensitive Areas" - no looking for your ball
[/quote]

$54 on the weekend, $49 during the week.

You really can't go wrong with either Blackstone, Wachusett or Green Hill. blast one has a great layout and the conditions there right now are fantastic. Wachusett is a classic Donald Ross and Green Hill is a great muni with great greens and more open. It is more open and on a hill so it could be chilly in October.

• 2 weeks later...

Play them all -- I live in the area even Blissfull Meadows is Okay - great back nine. They are all good tracks as well as shinningrock add that one in a couple of crazy holes.

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

My son played Green Hill in a tournament this weekend. I have to say I was underwhelmed. Not a bad layout and a great location but conditions were iffy at best. Fairways were shaggy and lots of bad lies from some kind of very course aeration. Greens were also slower and bumpy. I have to think Blackstone, Wachusett and Kettlebrook are significantly better local options,

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

I played Blackstone today. I like the course but it is in rough shape. I've been a member at Blissful Meadows for 10 years and really enjoy the course. The fairways and greens are good but we had some burnout in the rough due to the lack of rain. Otherwise it's in very good shape and a good Cornish Silva design. Redtail has had conditioning issues as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't played Blackstone in a while, but remembered really liking it. Price is very reasonable.

You might well catch a late season rate at the International, which is great.

Red Tail is an excellent layout, condition was so-so last time I played. On the front 9 in particular. Not horrible, but for the premium price not what it once was.

Tsi3 10* Tensel 1k White 70x
Tsi2 16.5* Tour AD TP 8X;

Apex UW 19* Aldila Green 8x

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron

2019 T100 Tour issue 5-9 s400

SM9 46F, SM6 54s and 60s s400

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Shemp' timestamp='1412718423' post='10251381']
I played Blackstone today. I like the course but it is in rough shape. I've been a member at Blissful Meadows for 10 years and really enjoy the course. The fairways and greens are good but we had some burnout in the rough due to the lack of rain. Otherwise it's in very good shape and a good Cornish Silva design. Redtail has had conditioning issues as well.
[/quote]As someone that only played Blissful Meadows once... never again until the rangers/staff get rid of those damn radios and know not to drive up on people playing shots/swinging, etc... It bordered on purposefully rude.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='Shemp' timestamp='1412718423' post='10251381']I played Blackstone today. I like the course but it is in rough shape. I've been a member at Blissful Meadows for 10 years and really enjoy the course. The fairways and greens are good but we had some burnout in the rough due to the lack of rain. Otherwise it's in very good shape and a good Cornish Silva design. Redtail has had conditioning issues as well.[/quote]

Got married at Blissful Meadows and played it the morning of my wedding. Made me wish I knew about it when I was in college at good ol Becker.

Mizuno JPX EZ @ 10.5 - Motore F1 S
M1 15* - Kuro Kage X
XR Pro 18* Hybrid - NVS 85X
MP-32 4-PW - S300
XFT 52-56-60
Mizuno Bettinardi BC5
K-Sig's baby!

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1414415275' post='10356619']
[quote name='Shemp' timestamp='1412718423' post='10251381']
[/quote]As someone that only played Blissful Meadows once... never again until the rangers/staff get rid of those damn radios and know not to drive up on people playing shots/swinging, etc... It bordered on purposefully rude.

--kC
[/quote]

I play there two or three times a week and have never had that problem. The staff is generally very friendly and courteous. It can get slow if you tee off after 10:00 or 11 on a weekend. We have standing early tee times.