HELP: I have the TAKEAWAY SWING YIPS, need guidance, PLEASE :(

daMANiack

Hi,

2 years ago I was a 2 handicap golfer, hitting 12 to 16 greens-in-reg, I would've been off scratch or better if I could chip.

Now I'm on 10 h'cap and going out quickly.

Confession, I HAVE TAKEAWAY SWING YIPS. It is with every club in the bag so I have no relief from yipping during a round of golf.

Meaning:

I can't start a driver, iron, chip without a stutter, the club goes bouncing away from the ball for upto 24 inches, mainly because my body is FROZEN.

I try and focus on hips or shoulders commence swing, but body is frozen.

As the round progresses, I create so much tension that my upper back muscles are so tight, you literally can't depress your fingers into my upper back.

My breathing is probably non-existent for 20 to 30 seconds.

I've totally lost my focus on the TARGET, my focus has shifted to, GET THE CLUB AWAY.

Has anyone had the YIPS and overcome the yips, would a SPORTS PSYCHOLOGIST be any help?

It's sounds to me that once you have the YIPS, the SCAR TISSUE is there and almost impossible to remove.

I've had a number of lessons by top golfing pros, the problem is they concentrate on drills that I can do, but the added anxiety of playing competition golf is totally different.

I can hit chip and pitch in my front yard or on practice chipping area at my club without issue, but as soon as I'm on the course, I'm gone.

I can still play, I recently won my clubs Senior Championship (Gross) by shooting 78 in the final round, I was playing off 11 and the runner-up played off 3, but he's been down to scratch or better.

I used to prize my golf on consistent ball striking, many commented on my beautiful subtle DRAW ball flight, but my consistent ball strking IS GONE, maybe FOREVER.

Cheerz :(

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me like you need some kind of swing trigger...like a tiny forward press or a tiny right knee kick in(assuming you are righty) to get things started smoothly. Main thing is you dont want your swing to start from a static position. You need to have flow into the swing or the takeaway can get herky-jerky.

[quote name='daMANiack' timestamp='1413586259' post='10307047']
Hi,

2 years ago I was a 2 handicap golfer, hitting 12 to 16 greens-in-reg, I would've been off scratch or better if I could chip.

Confession, I HAVE THE FULL SWING YIPS. It is with every club in the bag so I have no relief from yipping during a round of golf.

Meaning:

I can't start a driver, iron, chip without a stutter, the club goes bouncing away from the ball for upto 24 inches, mainly because my body is FROZEN.

As the round progresses, I create so much tension that my upper back muscles are so tight, you literally can't depress your fingers into my upper back.

I've totally lost my focus on the TARGET, my focus has shifted to, GET THE CLUB AWAY.

Has anyone had the YIPS and overcome the yips, would a SPORTS PSYCHOLOGIST be any help?

[color=#525252]It's sounds to me that once you have the YIPS, the SCAR TISSUE is there and almost impossible to remove.

I've had a number of lessons by top golfing pros, the problem is they concentrate on drills that I can do, but the added anxiety of playing competition golf is totally different.

I can hit chip and pitch in my front yard or on practice chipping area at my club without issue, but as soon as I'm on the course, I'm gone.

I can still play, I recently won my clubs Senior Championship (Gross) by shooting 78 in the final round, I was playing off 11 and the runner-up played off 3, but he's been down to scratch or better. [/color]

[color=#525252]I used to prize my golf on consistent ball striking, many commented on my beautiful subtle DRAW ball flight, but my consistent ball strking IS GONE, maybe FOREVER.

Cheerz :([/color]
[/quote]

There is no sure cure that's for sure. I completely know of what you speak. Ironic you would post this today as I have been playing such good golf the past 3 months my handicap dropped to near 0. But today the yips returned and as the saying goes I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat. Not frozen like you but twitched at impact on every single drive and many irons. One thing I did that seemed to work (I've had these for decades) today---I emphasize "today"---is to concentrate on maintaining unchanging grip pressure throughout the swing. That was my only or at least major swing thought (among all the rest of the usual mind noise, especially when you're playing terribly). Try having that one thought. If that doesn't work, try anything you can think of which focuses your mind on any thing other than the fact that you feel like you cannot swing or take the club back.

I have gone thru phases like this and the best thing that i have found is find a way to skip the part you are freezing over. So if you can't get past the takeaway get in your address position and hinge your wrists until the club is parallel to the ground and just start your backswing from there. Monte has a video this and ryan moore did this while his wrist was injured.

Hi,

Thanks for responding, greatly appreciated.

Firstly I'm history if I have no movement over the ball, starting from static position.

secondly, part of my problem when trying to get a swing trigger, tried many, right knee kick, hand forward press, left hip rotation to commence swing, as my upper chest feels frozen, I start getting uncontrollable movements of the legs and feet, partners refer to it as, he's dancing again.

The trigger I've had very limited success with is left hip rotation commences the swing, has tended to then start the upper body rotation. But not consistent results.

Cheerz :):D;)

[quote name='grayfox' timestamp='1413586664' post='10307067']
Sounds to me like you need some kind of swing trigger...like a tiny forward press or a tiny right knee kick in(assuming you are righty) to get things started smoothly. Main thing is you dont want your swing to start from a static position. You need to have flow into the swing or the takeaway can get herky-jerky.
[/quote]

If you are trying to sync things up, a good drill we used to use was from address swing the club 2 feet past the ball then from there swing the club into your backswing. This should give you the feel of your arms, chest and shoulders working/turning back in unison. Its hard to make a good assessment without seeing what you are doing in person but I think this could help given what you've said.

Hi,

Confession, I HAVE THE FULL SWING YIPS. It is with every club in the bag so I have no relief from yipping during a round of golf.

Meaning:

[color=#525252]It's sounds to me that once you have the YIPS, the SCAR TISSUE is there and almost impossible to remove.

I can still play, I recently won my clubs Senior Championship (Gross) by shooting 78 in the final round, I was playing off 11 and the runner-up played off 3, but he's been down to scratch or better. [/color]

[color=#525252]I used to prize my golf on consistent ball striking, many commented on my beautiful subtle DRAW ball flight, but my consistent ball strking IS GONE, maybe FOREVER.

[/quote]

"Full swing yips"...this is what people come up with when they do online diagnosis of things they think are wrong with them. OP, I am on your side, but this post makes my face hurt. Don't go to a sports psychologist; they are the ones who come up with goofy terms like this. It sounds to me like you are trying (or were trying) to micromanage the details of your swing and game, which no one can really do. Confusion and non-committal due to too many thoughts leads to unconscious distraction during the swing and it is no wonder you get the result you do. Over time, the confidence erodes and now you think you have a "condition." You don't. I just suspect that you have too much complication playing into a lack of confidence. Take some time off and don't think about golf for a while. Then come back.

I have another idea too, but it is weird...

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Hi,

I'll amend my topic as it's not quite right.

I should've said, [i][b][u]TAKEAWAY YIPS[/u][/b][/i].

The problem I've had with start-up swing triggers, if I miss it in that millisecond, I'm gone, I'm then waiting for something to start my swing and it's usually a snatch/jerk away with my hands, then totally out of synch and no consistency.

I can still hit great shots, got 2 par 3 nearest to the pins last Saturday, both with 3 feet, but then the other par 3 tee shots probably 20 metres left of green.

I used to have what I classed as a STRONG DRAW, all my playing partners said it was a BIG HOOK, but ball generally back to the hole.

My takeaway has always been quick and too much on the inside going back. If I tried to hit a slice, at the very best, it would be a straight ball flight.

I realised that I had a flying right elbow on the downswing, my upper body had to quickly rotate at start of downswing so I could get the club back to the ball. Over a period of time, I was able to a little more upright swing and because of this, was able to concentrate on the butt end of grip pointing to the ball when arms approximately parallel going back, then fire RIGHT ELBOW back to right hip to prevent flying right elbow on d/swing. This move increased my swing speed from 89 to 102 mph, I was consistently hitting my 56* SW flatl out, very high and about 100 yards.

I'm 60 yo now, pretty good health.

I think you hit the nail on the head, I've been trying for years to improve my swing, I was always a good 5 to 7 handicapper but was playing off 2 about 2 years ago.

Probably my sub-conscience knows HOW I WANT TO SWING, but I'm not getting into the positions I want to, it's almost like the brain is saying, you're not doing that.

[quote]

"Full swing yips"...this is what people come up with when they do online diagnosis of things they think are wrong with them. OP, I am on your side, but this post makes my face hurt. Don't go to a sports psychologist; they are the ones who come up with goofy terms like this. It sounds to me like you are trying (or were trying) to micromanage the details of your swing and game, which no one can really do. Confusion and non-committal due to too many thoughts leads to unconscious distraction during the swing and it is no wonder you get the result you do. Over time, the confidence erodes and now you think you have a "condition." You don't. I just suspect that you have too much complication playing into a lack of confidence. Take some time off and don't think about golf for a while. Then come back.

[/quote]

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1413592931' post='10307545']
Hi,

Meaning:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh boy, you're out of your league here. This isn't one of those made up problems or conjured up due to media hype. This is a real problem. The label might not suit your ideological viewpoint but the malady is real.

Hi,

Thanks a bunch [size=6][u][i][b][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/341663-mikah/"][color=#353535]mikah[/color][/url][/b][/i][/u][/size], he got me searching Gerry Hogan.

[color=#353535][url="http://www.orbweb.net/golf/hogan/index.html"]http://www.orbweb.ne...ogan/index.html[/url][/color]

[color=#353535]I haven't read the complete book extracts but read something interesting on The Backswing, page 47.[/color]

[color=#353535][quote][/color]
[size=5][b][color=#353535]THE METHOD[/color][/b][/size]

[color=#353535]The backswing is really a movement to the right. Most golfers are so preoccupied with having to hit the ball to the left that MENTALLY and PHYSICALLY they are incapable of moving with freedom in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION.[/color]

[color=#353535]The WAY TO OVERCOME this is to BEGIN THE BACKSWING BY TURNING YOUR HEAD AND YOUR EYES TO THE RIGHT.[/color]

[color=#353535]This not only makes it easier then for your SHOULDERS TO TURN, but it creates IN YOUR MIND a MENTAL IMAGE OF MOVING TO THE RIGHT.[/color]

[color=#353535]Once your brain has registered THIS MENTAL IMAGE, you will find that YOUR BACKSWING BECOMES WONDERFULLY FREE.[/color]
[color=#353535][/quote][/color]

[color=#353535]I've only had some practice swings turning head and eyes to the right, and it does seem like the shoulders, then chest, then left hip wants to follow automatically.[/color]

[color=#353535]Maybe [u][i][b]TURNING HEAD AND EYES TO THE RIGHT is my swing trigger[/b][/i][/u], certainly worth further study.[/color]

[color=#353535]Being 60 yo I grew up reading Jack Nicklaus books, I think called Golf My Way. I know JackN always tilted his head to the right so his eyes were looking at the back of the ball, but maybe this was also his swing trigger.[/color]

[color=#353535]BTW, I've created an eBook from the Gerry Hogan extract and happy to share with anyone.[/color]

[color=#353535]Again [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/341663-mikah/"][color=#353535]mikah[/color][/url], thanks a heap for your PM.[/color]

[color=#353535]Cheerz :):D;)[/color]

Hi,

Well, I've just watched the Jack Nicklaus Golf My Way video on BALL POSITION at it does look like his swing trigger was moving head to the right.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSsIbsp3jQ&list=TLbd7fFgObn7erlKxKEphdBiNboU-c0M1Q[/media]

Checkout at the 2.59 position.

and

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKxS2SsV4yg[/media]

[i]Ah Ha, finally found what I was searching for as Jack Nicklaus never mentioned it in his videos, even though it’s obvious to look at.[/i]

[url="wlmailhtml:{CFF5B477-6352-451D-AF4C-64DFCE53AD07}mid://00000136/!x-usc:http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2010-03/jack-nicklaus-lifetime-principles"]http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2010-03/jack-nicklaus-lifetime-principles[/url]

[color="#000000"][size="4"][b][i]I also swivel my head to the right as a swing trigger.[/i][/b][/size][/color]

[color="#000000"][size="4"]I played with Sam Snead when I was 16 and watched that little cocking of his head. I thought:[i] If it's good enough for Sam, it's good enough for me.[/i][/size][/color]

[color="#000000"][size=3]Jack Grout, my first teacher, taught me to look down over my left cheek at the ball. This encourages you to set up with your upper body slightly back. Then your body can react to the swinging of the club. [/size][/color]

[size=4][color="#000000"][size=3]Also:[/size][/color][/size]
[size=4][color="#000000"][size=3][url="http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2012/05/weekend-tip-3-ways-to-jumpstar.html"]http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2012/05/weekend-tip-3-ways-to-jumpstar.html[/url][/size][/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"][size=3][b]2. Turn your chin: [/b]Jack Nicklaus used this trigger throughout his career ([i]see video below[/i]). Just before taking the club back, he tilted his head so his eyes focused on a spot about a foot behind the ball. But he still saw the ball out of the corner of his left eye. He told me a couple of years ago that the way he cocked his head served as a preview for the path of his club. In other words, if he wanted to hit a draw, he turned his head so his eyes tracked on a slightly inside path. For a fade, they moved along a line slightly to the outside.[/size][/color][/size]

[size=4][i]It does work at home, I can stand over the ball almost motionless for 10 to 15 seconds, this would normally doom my takeaway as I wouldn’t be able to start takeaway.[/i][/size]

[size=4][i]As soon as I swivel head to the right, I can smoothly takeaway the club.[/i][/size]

[size=4][i]I have to go to the range before Wednesday to test, not sure when, if I was playing Monday, I’d be today.[/i][/size]

[size=4][i]Cheerz :):D;)[/i][/size]

[quote name='daMANiack' timestamp='1413605560' post='10308479']
Hi,

Thanks a bunch [size=6][u][i][b][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/341663-mikah/"][color=#353535]mikah[/color][/url][/b][/i][/u][/size], he got me searching Gerry Hogan.

[color=#353535][url="http://www.orbweb.net/golf/hogan/index.html"]http://www.orbweb.ne...ogan/index.html[/url][/color]

[color=#353535]I haven't read the complete book extracts but read something interesting on The Backswing, page 47.[/color]

[color=#353535][quote][/color]
[size=5][b][color=#353535]THE METHOD[/color][/b][/size]

[color=#353535]The backswing is really a movement to the right. Most golfers are so preoccupied with having to hit the ball to the left that MENTALLY and PHYSICALLY they are incapable of moving with freedom in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION.[/color]

[color=#353535]The WAY TO OVERCOME this is to BEGIN THE BACKSWING BY TURNING YOUR HEAD AND YOUR EYES TO THE RIGHT.[/color]

[color=#353535]This not only makes it easier then for your SHOULDERS TO TURN, but it creates IN YOUR MIND a MENTAL IMAGE OF MOVING TO THE RIGHT.[/color]

[color=#353535]Once your brain has registered THIS MENTAL IMAGE, you will find that YOUR BACKSWING BECOMES WONDERFULLY FREE.[/color]
[color=#353535][/quote][/color]

[color=#353535]I've only had some practice swings turning head and eyes to the right, and it does seem like the shoulders, then chest, then left hip wants to follow automatically.[/color]

[color=#353535]Maybe [u][i][b]TURNING HEAD AND EYES TO THE RIGHT is my swing trigger[/b][/i][/u], certainly worth further study.[/color]

[color=#353535]Being 60 yo I grew up reading Jack Nicklaus books, I think called Golf My Way. I know JackN always tilted his head to the right so his eyes were looking at the back of the ball, but maybe this was also his swing trigger.[/color]

[color=#353535]BTW, I've created an eBook from the Gerry Hogan extract and happy to share with anyone.[/color]

[color=#353535]Again [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/341663-mikah/"][color=#353535]mikah[/color][/url], thanks a heap for your PM.[/color]

[color=#353535]Cheerz :):D;)[/color]
[/quote]

Thanks for the ebook, daManiak.. I think

you might have checked with Mr Hogan first?
There are copyright considerations.

Do you recognize the young 20 year old golfer in the book?... John Senden

Hi Mikah,

The eBook is only from the pages provided from a GolfWRX link, I'm sure if anyone gets interested, they'd want the complete book which I believe is hard to find.

The young golfer looked like John Senden but I didn't look close or investigate.

Are you located in Australia?

[quote]

Thanks for the ebook, daManiak.. I think

you might have checked with Mr Hogan first?
There are copyright considerations.

Do you recognize the young 20 year old golfer in the book?... John Senden
[/quote]

• 4 years later...

> @airjammer said:

> I have gone thru phases like this and the best thing that i have found is find a way to skip the part you are freezing over. So if you can't get past the takeaway get in your address position and hinge your wrists until the club is parallel to the ground and just start your backswing from there. Monte has a video this and ryan moore did this while his wrist was injured.

Do you remember the title of Monte's video on this? Maybe a link?

Holy bumping an old thread, Batman. Anyway, here is that old (some would say skinny) :) Monte video from his early days. Ryan Moore played like this for a season on tour due to his wrist injury.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Trust and believe that it's temporary. And you're still as good as ever, if not better.

Any medication changes? Getting enough b vitamins?

Stress response.

Cobra LTDx LS Black 10.5 R - UST Mamiya LinQ M40x White 6F3, (-2")

Cobra Speedzone 14.5 (+1⁰) R - Tensei AV 65g

Cobra F9 18.5 R - Evenflow Blue 5.5 65g

Callaway Apex '21 4 Hybrid 21 R - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HB

Callaway Apex '19 5i - AW - R - Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH

Cleveland RTX6 - 54/10, (-1⁰) - Mid - Nippon Pro Modus3 105g, Wedge

Cleveland RTX6 - 58/9 - Mid - Nippon Pro Modus3 105g, Wedge

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 3 - 35", (-1"), (+3g)

OP, if the Gerry Hogan but didn't do it I have one thing that will work. Like Mad said earlier it may be a bit out there but....

You're thinking too much about the "can't". As a two cap hitting 12-16 greens were you thinking about each bit of movement? I doubt it.

So... Talk. During your swing. It will distract your conscious mind from trying to control your swing. Take your address and ask your playing partners if they saw the Yankees game last night. Or whatever.

Alternatively... The Timothy Gallwey book "The Inner Game of Golf" will set you straight.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

I feel your pain. I developed a yip at the top of the backswing causing the club to drop behind me and my lead shoulder to flip up. My HC has gone up 5 points in the past year and I'm still fighting through a complete swing change to fix the problem. I've found that 'cutting the dandelions' is a great drill to get me back on plane and eliminate the yip, pause, etc. from my swing. Again still trying to eliminate it completely but it's really hard to do. Good luck fixing your swing. Maybe reducing tension in your swing and grip pressure would also help cure the problem?

• 3 years later...