Pinehurst No. 2

I know its Master's week, but I played No. 2, so here's pics
I was in North Carolina on company training for the past 3 weeks. I soaked in as much quality golf as humanly possible. Starting with the greatest course Ive ever laid eyes on, Pinehurst No. 2.

Its an absolute PERFECT golf course, worth every penny. And you have to pay a LOT of pennies. Its not visually stunning as say Arcadia Bluffs. The beauty of it comes out when you realize that every single shot you take, there are so many options. Everything is laid out in front of you, no hidden dangers. The routing is just superb. Fairways are fairly wide open, but you can significantly improve or worsen your approach shot by working the ball left and right. Fly the ball into the green or roll it up. Or off! But the greens are definitely where the course gets its personality, but we already knew that. They were flawless, saw maybe one or two ball marks the entire day. Smooth, relatively fast (10ish?). Sure, you can get yourself in major trouble on them, but they were extremely FAIR GREENS. It was an easy walking course; hilly, but nothing dramatic. Tee boxes were very near the greens. It was my first time with a caddy. That was a fun experience as well. It was set up relatively easy for the everyday hack. Playable. Rough was short. But to stand on the US Open tee boxes... oh my god could this course get hard!

By far the greatest golf experience of my life. Even the hissy fit the gentleman I played with (a member) couldnt wipe the smile off my face. This clown was throwing clubs, swearing up a storm and left after 9 holes. On PINEHURST NO. 2! wtf?!? I think his wife was beating him by 5 or 6 stokes... Would I do it again? For what I paid for it, probably not, there is too many other amazing courses in the area I would play before I get on No. 2 again, but if I get the chance, I will. Probably the best part was the voicemails I had on my phone after the round from my friends telling me they hoped I shot 110, fall in a bunker and break a leg, etc. JEALOUSY! Muahahaha!

btw, this was my first round in a about a month, had 2 range sessions, still generally rusty. Would have preferred to play at around 6700, but played 6300. 46 on the front, 39 on the back. A couple of front 9 triples stunk it up, but probably shoulda shot even on the back. At the #1 tee, I said Id be delighted to shoot 85, and thats what I did!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, I have the same bag you do. Also, I echo all your comments about #2, it's one of my favorites. Pinehurst, in general, is just about the perfect place to me, overall... not a big town, still decently modern, but with a ton of "south" in it, and a first rate golf facility in the Pinehurst Resort. My goal is to retire to Pinehurst in another 40 years. :-)

Glad that you enjoyed the course. It is amazing. You figure you can beat it to death but you have the roles reversed! I have yet to figure out how to play the third hole, all 360 some yards of it. Pinehurst, the village, is a great place. Everyone should go there and play No 2 once, even if they have to sell blood to pay for it. Take a caddy as riding in a cart you walk more than with a toter!

I played #2 a few months back as well as the others in the Pinehurst collection. #2 was the best of the group by a mile. My caddie was about 70 years old (Willie) and I believe he was int he Caddy hall of fame there. Anyway he told me he used to shag balls for Snead and Hogan. Kinda seemed like a waste to have him shag balls for me LOL! Anyway great course and you can 3 put almost every green if you dont watch out. Lots of fun.

RG

[b][i]Brad King[/i][/b]
[b][color=#ff8c00][i]Southern California & New England [/i][/color][/b]

[b]Taylor Made M3 9.5* w. Graphite Design Tour AD IZ6 Stiff
Tayloe Made M4 Fairway 15* w. HZDRUS Black 6.0 Stiff
Taylor Made M3 Hybrid 17* (set to 19*) w. Tensi Blue 85HY Stiff
Taylor Made M3 4-AW w. DG XP100
Taylor Made High Toe 58* w. KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Taylor Made High Toe 64* w. KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Taylor Made Spider Red Sightline 35"
Taylor Made Bag

Taylor Made TP5x & Kirkland KSIG Balls
[/b]

WOW. I can't wait to play No. 2. First though, I am playing Pineneedles and Mid Pines in May. Great pics, thanks.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

I had the opportunity to play #2 back in Nov. 06. I thought it was nice but it really didn't strike me as a US Open Course. Except for a couple of holes it was actually quite boring. The crowned greens weren't as hard as people say they are. I had the oldest caddy on staff and he had some great stories which made the experience at Pinehurst enjoyable. The pork chop I had at the PINECREST INN made the day perfect. Did you happen to play Pine Needles?

I had the opportunity to play #2 back in Nov. 06. I thought it was nice but it really didn't strike me as a US Open Course. Except for a couple of holes it was actually quite boring. The crowned greens weren't as hard as people say they are. I had the oldest caddy on staff and he had some great stories which made the experience at Pinehurst enjoyable. The pork chop I had at the PINECREST INN made the day perfect. Did you happen to play Pine Needles?

Like I said, the course itself isnt going to blow you away. At first glance, it might appear a little boring. Its all the little subtleties that really stood out to me. Like #5 (in my first pic), little dogleg left, fairway slopes to the left, but the green slopes to the right. Left side of the fairway gets you closer to the green and a better angle, but even though a longer approach, its so much easier to hold the green (since youre kind of hitting into the slope). And also watch the bunkers! Things like that are ALL OVER THE PLACE, and I havent seen another course set up with variety such as that. I could go on ALL NIGHT! Ask me about #15!!!

Unfortunately, Pine Needles was my backup if I couldnt get on No. 2, so I had to miss that one. I am very very very tempted to head back down there in the fall and rip it at Pine Needles, Mid Pines, Tobacco Road. Its peak rate season in NC right now, and I just cant drop $235 on PN or $125 on TR. When they go down, thats another story. Ill want to go either there or drive through NC and head for the Ocean Course!

As for food, I didnt get a chance to try the Inn or any local tavern, but I HIGHLY recommend the Wendy's just up the road in Candor (I think...). Biggie size please! haha

I appreciate your take on the course. Maybe I was more focused on the "small" wagers I placed on the round than the course itself. I did have a decent round from the back tees. 84. Not bad for an 8 handicap on a "US OPEN" course. I had the oppurtunity to play Oakmont last October. Shot a 98 in the Pittsburg pouring cold rain. Not misting, not drizzling.....raining and the greens where rolling at 15!!! Two different tracks completely if you ask me. Number #8 at Oakmont this year will be a 300 yrd par 3. It was 276 to the front when I played it. None the less, please make it a point to make it over to the pinecrest inn if you go back down to pinehurst. It's right across the street from #2. I had an absolutely fantastic experience there. The throwback accomdations at the inn will bring you back 50 years. Check out staying there. It's around a buck a night in off season but a full breakfast and full dinner are both included in your stay. My Dinner bill was $45. Breakfast would have probably cost $10 at IHOP. A NO BRAINER DUDE!

your very lucky to play there. That's on my list to play in the next 5 to 10 years, hopeufully sooner. I grew up playing a great Ross course and have always wanted to play there. Its probably the best on the east coast imo. thanks for posting the pics. I can't wait to show these to my bro who was at the US open the year Payne won.

• 7 months later...