2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Best modern ball for.....

Using ping eye 2s. I have a bag with a full 1-lw set of irons (well the 1 & 2 are scheduled for delivery this week) and just wondered what is a good modern ball to use with them. My modern bag I use the Callaway super soft ball and really love it. Last year I used too flite gamers but fell in love with the ss in the fall. Or does it really even matter?

Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
Titleist Pro V1

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good ball that Supersoft. We're currently spoiled for choice with low compression balls all of a sudden it would seem.

Maybe just ask at a pro shop for a ball that suits you - e.g. some of them now appear to have bugger all spin off the tee but you could pay for that around the green (e.g. people seem to either love or hate Bridgestone E6's, but they work for me...) I'd grab a sleeve each of a few softies and take it from there perhaps..

Amazing really how those pre-post Tiger boom years for golf coincided with rocks for balls and progressively uglier GI clubs.

GBB Epic, X2 Hot, Srixon Z545, Cleveland RTX 2.0, Bettinardi

[quote name='Gator Callaway' timestamp='1425425464' post='11071407']
Using ping eye 2s. I have a bag with a full 1-lw set of irons (well the 1 & 2 are scheduled for delivery this week) and just wondered what is a good modern ball to use with them. My modern bag I use the Callaway super soft ball and really love it. Last year I used too flite gamers but fell in love with the ss in the fall. Or does it really even matter?
[/quote]

The Titleist DT Solo, Wilson Staff Duo and Staff FG Tour are other balls that get good press around here. The new Callaway Chrome Soft is supposedly pretty good too.

What sort of flight are you guys getting with the modern soft balls? I've honestly never tried them, I normally play Bridgestone B330S's because I trust them around the green. I still have a small stash of DDH wound balls which I pull out when the mood strikes. But those won't last forever....

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

A few candidates; Topflite 'Gamer v2', Callaway 'Hex Chrome', 'Supersoft', 'chrome soft', Nike 'One RZN X', Srixon 'Q-Star', Bridgestone 'B330 RX', 'R6', Wilson 'Duo'.

Best trajectory and accuracy for my occasional game seems to be R6 (summertime can get up to 270-ish yards incl roll off the tee with my Muirfield 20th 3W). Just ran out however and have 6 boxes of Duos, Supersofts and Pro v1 to use up, which might take a while.

GBB Epic, X2 Hot, Srixon Z545, Cleveland RTX 2.0, Bettinardi

[quote name='Wriggles' timestamp='1425481167' post='11075203']
I feel any ball works just fine with classic clubs, but I like Titleists when I can find them. My motto, "Play the best ball you can find."
[/quote]

LOLZ Wriggles, pretty close to a line I use: "Hit cheap ball into woods, find expensive ball, be a playa".

Like OSR ^, have been a e6 user, especially with the moderns. With the B330-RXS thrown in on occasion for those "special" rounds. Based on the buzz here, tried the Wilson Duos a bit late last year with the classics (persimmon). Nice ball, soft, especially in the colder temps that they were used in. Really liked the feel of them when putting. Will be giving them an enhanced audition this season. And at $20/doz, definitely priced right.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Titleist SoLo, Wilson Duo, and Callaway Supersoft are my current favorites-all are around the $20 price point. I like them as most of this group does-no real need for old wound balls. If we could get truly new wound balls, maybe, but the aforementioned soft compression balls seem to satisfy most on here with persimmon or laminate. When I have the seldom hankering for a premium ball, the B330RX or RXS. I have heard good reports from the Wilson FG Tour. Hoping that some of this group will try the new Chrome Soft and report.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Sorry to mislead some of you guys, and I do appreciate the info, but I'm talking about balls for iron play. I came along when persimmons were basically dead so I never really used them except at the range. And when I did I wondered who and why would anybody use them :) I do have 1,3 & 5 Hogan persimmons (laminated for the sake of argument) and an Eye 5 wood in the garage but those are basically "collectors" items I've acquired over the years. But like I said I'm wondering if the low compression balls are better with the "old" irons. Thanks guys for all the information and tips.

Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
Titleist Pro V1

All kidding aside, I think the softer cover balls would be better in all ways. I've played with all kinds of balls in my almost 50 years of golf. Back in the day, I believe Titleist made 90 and 100 compression balls. You could just feel the softness of those old Titleists. The Pro V's capture most of the old feel, in my opinion.

The Top Flites and similar were hard as a rock, just like some of the stuff made today. I'm no expert, but a softer cover ball is the way to go no matter what clubs you play.

I really can't stand the sound and feel of those rock hard balls.

• 3 weeks later...

For most of the last year I've been playing some of the inexpensive and soft distance balls, mostly the Hogan Edge model just because I happened upon a great deal on them ($0.50/ball). Recently a friend gave me a sleeve of Pro-v1's and I played them for a round and a half. I have to say that I was surprised at how hard they felt, especially off persimmon but also with the irons. Mid round I switched back to a low compression distance ball and it was a big relief. It reminded me why I don't pay big $$ for golf balls.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1427046325' post='11191595']
For most of the last year I've been playing some of the inexpensive and soft distance balls, mostly the Hogan Edge model just because I happened upon a great deal on them ($0.50/ball). Recently a friend gave me a sleeve of Pro-v1's and I played them for a round and a half. I have to say that I was surprised at how hard they felt, especially off persimmon but also with the irons. Mid round I switched back to a low compression distance ball and it was a big relief. It reminded me why I don't pay big $$ for golf balls.
[/quote]

I face this problem in my day to day golf existence. I held on to the old Maxfli neo-wound balls longer than most I knew, playing the A10, M3 Red or Black, and even going to Wilson's I-Wound as long as I could find them, because I loved the feel.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to get along with the low compression balls particularly well. I get squirrelly results with them. I guess I'm not in the swingspeed profile of the usual low compression ball user.

Then, because of my spin rates, I should really be playing the firmer, lower spin versions of the premium balls; FG Tour X, Hex Chrome+, ZStar XV, B330, that sort of thing. I generally get better performance from them, anyway.

Such is life. <shrug>

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 2 weeks later...

My driver SS is 118-120. I love the new low compression balls.
I played the ProV1x for years. Tried the Duo the other day on a lark
and was floored at how similarly it performed - yet felt so much better.
Duo Spin was actually the best fit as the regular version didn't spin enough
close to the greens.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

I've been playing mostly Bridgestone B330s over the last couple of years, I really like how they perform around the green. Recently I was given a box of Pro V1's which I'd never played and get very similar performance to the B330's. However if my round isn't going quite to plan I will pull out a wound Maxfli DDH and that usually makes me happy and gets me back on track.

I've been hoarding new old stock wound balls lately too, currently I've a healthy supply of original DDH's, Hot Dots', Dunlop 65's 1.62's & DT90's. It's funny these are the only balls I actually purchase. Everything else usually comes my way in form of an Xmas present!

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....