2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Thinking about joining a club - and using classics. Does that work?

I'm interested mostly in access to a lot of the golf courses around me that require an expensive membership.

But, I also think competition will be good for my game.

However, I only want to play with persimmon (or even glue-laminated maple) and classic blades. I have reminder grips, don't even care at all if my wedge grooves are wrong, etc. Just want to make par and at the moment I have not broken 100.

Does anybody have experience with this?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not see anything wrong at all with what you are wanting to do. I am for it 100%. Golf is an individual thing and you have set your goals and what equipment you choose to do it with. If anyone does not like your methods and goals screw them! I am sure you will find someone to play with that will appreciate your efforts. Like I said Golf is an individual thing my hat is off to you and what you are trying to achieve. Good Luck I hope you exceed your goals.
To answer your question I have done this played with the vintage equipment and still do some. I know even that I am eligible the guys in the men's league don't want me to play unless I play my vintage equipment. I can still beat them with it though. I can remember one of the older guys saying that I had a screw loose because I have some nice new custom clubs but still mess around with those junky antiques.
I for one march to the beat of my own drummer have always done that and always will as long as there is a breath left in my body! Darn wish you were down here I would have someone to play vintage with

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

From personal experience, guys look at you like you're nuts if you show up at an league or event with classic stuff. If you play well with classic, they will marvel. Guys will remark how well you'd be playing modern clubs. If you play poorly, they will crucify you, especially if it means the foursome loses $3 each. It's just human nature. Anyone outside the lines is subject.

Classic clubs, walking the course, minimalist golf all file under abnormal today. Unless you're playing 14 latest clubs in a huge staff bag, carrying enough stuff to camp out in the woods for two weeks, riding carts with GPS and beer coolers, you will be looked on as an oddball.

I ought to know, I'm one of the oddballs. Enjoy your game as you see fit.

[quote name='Wriggles' timestamp='1427540051' post='11233285']
From personal experience, guys look at you like you're nuts if you show up at an league or event with classic stuff. If you play well with classic, they will marvel. Guys will remark how well you'd be playing modern clubs. If you play poorly, they will crucify you, especially if it means the foursome loses $3 each. It's just human nature. Anyone outside the lines is subject.

Classic clubs, walking the course, minimalist golf all file under abnormal today. Unless you're playing 14 latest clubs in a huge staff bag, carrying enough stuff to camp out in the woods for two weeks, riding carts with GPS and beer coolers, you will be looked on as an oddball.

[/quote]Well put. I have heard that comment several times about "if you have some newer clubs man you could really play" Hey one of my favorite sayings is "Life is too darn short why be normal?" hey after you posted I don't feel too bad at least I am in good company with you and the other antique golfers.

Most leagues scores are net or are handicapped, so if you establish your handicap using classic stuff it should reflect the score you shoot. If you play with a group in your league and post a score at or around your handicap then no one should have a reason to question what you are doing.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Find a course you like, barter for a cheap deal and go for it.

I do not see myself as even an "average" golfer...Although I don't mind pitting myself against friends [and the course], my preference is around the plain old thumping of a golf ball...competitions do nothing for me. I prefer my own company more times than not.
I joined my local club more for the financial aspect of things.....For the price of 500 driving range balls [approx £35] per month, I can put a little extra cash towards this and have a weekday membership at my local track. They have a fantastic, very little used [grass] practice area. So at the hardship of collecting my own balls, I get to practice on grass AND have the option to play as many rounds with friends or to test clubs FOR FREE.

At 5850 yards and tight'ish fairways, the premium is accuracy over distance. Old lofts fit in quite nice here.

Most of our members are seniors too. So many great stories and memories are retold with a smile, just because you rocked up in the car park with a boot-full of '53 MacGregors.

Regards
pd

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1427540918' post='11233301']
Most leagues scores are net or are handicapped, so if you establish your handicap using classic stuff it should reflect the score you shoot. If you play with a group in your league and post a score at or around your handicap then no one should have a reason to question what you are doing.
[/quote]That is correct all around. The only thing I could see is if someone questions the equipment especially the wedges being "conforming" or not. Remember if they have not been "tested" or not on the conforming list then they can be deemed non conforming. I know it is stupid and maybe the guys he is going to play with will not act like those ones in most of the men's leagues around here. I don't play with any of the men's organized leagues here because they argue and gripe too much. I like the group I play with now it is a mixed bunch of guys no formal organization. It is made up of a various lot of players all pretty good players mostly over the hill mini tour players like myself and some with stellar amateur careers in the past. We get up little team matches with whome ever shows up and some side action. No one cares what equipment someone plays and most of us do not keep real formal handicaps. Some do because they still play actively in some Carolinas Golf Association senior and super senior events. Actually some of the guys have talked me into possibly applying and getting my amateur status back so I can play in some CGA events myself. Right now I am having a lot of fun playing with these guys. No cheating and argueing and you get to play with a vast group of players some are from out of town and have been playing with this group for years on an annual basis

Steve, do not see what equipment you play being an issue. Based on your posting info., assume you're joining a more modestly priced club for the access it would provide. May want to familiarize yourself with what the rules committee may require in competitive matches (i.e. conforming grooves). Otherwise, go for it, your dime. If they give you static about what clubs you are playing, perhaps you should investigate another club.

Wrigs, I can relate to your post ^. As a late bloomer to classic clubs, my experiences have mostly been of a solitary nature. What was a revelation was how much I enjoyed playing alone, walking, and not having a running conversation with my playing partners. I could really concentrate on putting the best possible swing on the ball for any given shot. Another factor was not wanting to publicly embarrass myself as I ventured into uncharted territory golf equipment-wise. Discovered that I could play some of this classic stuff nearly as well as the moderns (Percy D is still a work in progress). This season (if it ever starts) will be about developing the confidence to play classic clubs, in particular a set of BH blades, with greater regularity. Also, have a minimalist bag set to go. Nine clubs, maybe down to eight once things start.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='pdgolferman' timestamp='1427541262' post='11233325']

I do not see myself as even an "average" golfer...Although I don't mind pitting myself against friends [and the course], my preference is around the plain old thumping of a golf ball...competitions do nothing for me. I prefer my own company more times than not.
I joined my local club more for the financial aspect of things.....For the price of 500 driving range balls [approx £35] per month, I can put a little extra cash towards this and have a weekday membership at my local track. They have a fantastic, very little used [grass] practice area. So at the hardship of collecting my own balls, I get to practice on grass AND have the option to play as many rounds with friends or to test clubs FOR FREE.

At 5850 yards and tight'ish fairways, the premium is accuracy over distance. Old lofts fit in quite nice here.

Most of our members are seniors too. So many great stories and memories are retold with a smile, just because you rocked up in the car park with a boot-full of '53 MacGregors.

Regards
pd
[/quote]Would love to play the course you described with my vintage stuff. There are very few of those type courses left in the USA now or at least in my area

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1427526230' post='11232991']
I'm interested mostly in access to a lot of the golf courses around me that require an expensive membership.

But, I also think competition will be good for my game.

However, I only want to play with persimmon (or even glue-laminated maple) and classic blades. I have reminder grips, don't even care at all if my wedge grooves are wrong, etc. Just want to make par and at the moment I have not broken 100.

Does anybody have experience with this?
[/quote]

As long as you don't break any rules of the club; keep up with pace of play, rake your traps, fix your greens, and be kind to the staff - I doubt anyone will have any complaints about what you choose to do with your time.

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1427542139' post='11233353']

Regards
pd
[/quote]Would love to play the course you described with my vintage stuff. There are very few of those type courses left in the USA now or at least in my area
[/quote]
....and you, sir, would be most welcome

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1427540556' post='11233289']
[quote name='Wriggles' timestamp='1427540051' post='11233285']

[/quote]Well put. I have heard that comment several times about "if you have some newer clubs man you could really play" Hey one of my favorite sayings is "Life is too darn short why be normal?" hey after you posted I don't feel too bad at least I am in good company with you and the other antique golfers.
[/quote]

That's the feeling I get around here. We consider it a badge of honor to be non-conformist in our approach to the game. On a couple of occasions last fall, I had this inner smirk when strolling up to the first tee with my clanky old stuff behind a group playing all the latest and greatest, staff bags, lasers, etc. Thinking everything I was pulling around that day cost 1/3 of what they paid for their driver alone.

Relish the opportunity to be contrarian whenever possible.

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1427542131' post='11233351']
Steve, do not see what equipment you play being an issue. Based on your posting info., assume you're joining a more modestly priced club for the access it would provide. May want to familiarize yourself with what the rules committee may require in competitive matches (i.e. conforming grooves). Otherwise, go for it, your dime. If they give you static about what clubs you are playing, perhaps you should investigate another club.

Wrigs, I can relate to your post ^. As a late bloomer to classic clubs, my experiences have mostly been of a solitary nature. What was a revelation was how much I enjoyed playing alone, walking, and not having a running conversation with my playing partners. I could really concentrate on putting the best possible swing on the ball for any given shot. Another factor was not wanting to publicly embarrass myself as I ventured into uncharted territory golf equipment-wise. Discovered that I could play some of this classic stuff nearly as well as the moderns (Percy D is still a work in progress). This season (if it ever starts) will be about developing the confidence to play classic clubs, in particular a set of BH blades, with greater regularity. Also, have a minimalist bag set to go. Nine clubs, maybe down to eight once things start.
[/quote]

I used to belong to an old men's league at my course before I was 50. Those "old" guys took me under their wing, a great bunch of guys. The last few years, our group no longer existed, most passed on or too ill to play. I still play with a couple guys on occasion, but I've really discovered the joy of playing alone. Whatever clubs I want to play, how many holes I want to play, or when I want to play is wonderful. Miss a tee shot, hit another. If course is crowded, skip a few holes to an open hole. Sometimes, I'll just play an adjustable all in one iron. with a three wood or driver added sometimes.

PS: Playing better with clubs I couldn't give away, than guys playing the latest and greatest, is the ultimate joy in golf. Try to contain yourself when that happens.

Don't get me wrong, I like company as much as anyone, but solitary golf and walking an uncrowded course is almost a religious experience. The vintage clubs add to the experience.

DON'T HOLD UP PLAY especially in competitions. You will be admonished and told to get new clubs by your playing partners if you are slow .
I have two experiences of comp. partners playing persimmon( old irons don't matter).
One guy plays off 5 and we look at him in wonder.
The other guy hit his ball all over the place and when he got it in the air it went in the rough and it felt like we were always looking for his ball. He was told it might be a good idea to get a modern driver and invest in a lesson. He may well have done the same with a metal driver but he was open to criticisim using ancient gear.

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1427540918' post='11233301']
[/quote]
That makes sense.

I prefer my own company more times than not.[/quote]

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1427542131' post='11233351']
. What was a revelation was how much I enjoyed playing alone, walking, and not having a running conversation with my playing partners. I could really concentrate on putting the best possible swing on the ball for any given shot. Also, have a minimalist bag set to go. Nine clubs, maybe down to eight once things start.
[/quote]
Played solo today (afternoon game). I prefer it at this point. Don't have friends to play with, and strangers always make it harder to concentrate. Plus, waiting... Walking the course alone is pretty great - especially when nobody is out there at all. I did it a bunch last winter. Look forward to next winter!

[quote name='Wriggles' timestamp='1427561294' post='11234707']
I still play with a couple guys on occasion, but I've really discovered the joy of playing alone. Whatever clubs I want to play, how many holes I want to play, or when I want to play is wonderful. Miss a tee shot, hit another. If course is crowded, skip a few holes to an open hole.
[/quote]
I do that, too. Easy way to pass a slow group - skip holes. Probably can go back to them later.

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I think I'll get my score down before I join a club. About what gross score is 'reasonable' for local clubs?

100 is ok . Its not the number of hits its how long you take to have them in comps. Eg. If your a high handicapper go directly to your ball and be ready when its your turn. If the guy next to hit is on the right of the fairway and your ball is on the left or in in centre head toward yours even get in front if you are far enough away ,size up your shot while he is hitting. If unsure about rule ask. . I don't know about your clubs but we play 'ready 'golf on the tee except match play Ie . Irrespective of last hole scores if your ready hit it. If your a short hitter hit first as soon as group in front is clear for you ,after asking others. On the green the furtherest away putts first and keeps going until he putts out just don't stand on someones line without asking. Our greens are so firm it does not matter.If you hit into the rough hit a provisional . Smile and have a great round ,its only golf.

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1427612744' post='11238409']
..........I think I'll get my score down before I join a club. About what gross score is 'reasonable' for local clubs?
[/quote]

Is this club you had contemplated joining a social one as well as golf? Several around this area, from what I hear, are so desperate for new members and the revenue they produce, have significantly reduced membership fees (some in excess of 50%) and first year dues at discount. They are simply trying to stay afloat as a viable enterprise. Other than the super exclusive, most could care less what you shoot, so desperate they are for new members. One nearby club in particular, is one step ahead of insolvency so I have been told by a member acquaintance. Membership fees (pre-2008 economic meltdown) were going for $25k. Today, can join for $4k. With first year dues of $1500 (includes a $500 food and beverage credit). He was pitching me to consider joining, never asked about my handicap or how good a golfer I was.

But being a member of a club really isn't my thing. Can't help but think of the old Groucho Marx line (paraphrasing)........."Don't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member".

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1427675309' post='11242191']^^ I'd love to join a 'club' with a course and restaurant, but I'm talking about those clubs that charge $100 or so with NCGA membership. They'll get me onto some private courses during tournaments only, and I'll have to pay for everything.[/quote]Steve, me too. We're fortunate to have one or more affordable courses here in New Zealand, in or near each town and city, nearly all of whom offer discounted affiliate rates elsewhere. FWIW, I really hope this tradition of working class golf can continue.

I second the previous advice regarding fast, courteous play being more appreciated than your playing equipment, and that circa 100 is an ok place to be shooting (as a weekly or fortnightly player). Just be honest at the club you sign up to regarding your current skill and motivations; you'll be teamed up with the right people on club days and have a blast. From my past experience as an ex-international rep from a different sport but an adult beginner in golf (who hacked around as a teenager, but didn't join a club until my mid-twenties), if you are able to commit to playing club days weekly or fortnightly and squeeze in a bit of regular practice, you'll benefit in many ways from the friendly competition, meet like-minded people, and have a score in the 80's before long.

When asked about playing old sticks, I maintain that using both old and modern clubs (depending on how I feel) is just a way of appreciating the game and keeping classic craftsmanship alive. It's no different to vintage motorbikes, bicycles, cars, turntables, etc. If anyone has a problem with that, they clearly have unresolved personal issues!

GBB Epic, X2 Hot, Srixon Z545, Cleveland RTX 2.0, Bettinardi

[quote name='CHE KJARRVERA' timestamp='1427679829' post='11242643'][quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1427675309' post='11242191']^^ I'd love to join a 'club' with a course and restaurant, but I'm talking about those clubs that charge $100 or so with NCGA membership. They'll get me onto some private courses during tournaments only, and I'll have to pay for everything.[/quote]Steve, me too. We're fortunate to have one or more affordable courses here in New Zealand, in or near each town and city, nearly all of whom offer discounted affiliate rates elsewhere. FWIW, I really hope this tradition of working class golf can continue.

I second the previous advice regarding fast, courteous play being more appreciated than your playing equipment, and that circa 100 is an ok place to be shooting (as a weekly or fortnightly player). Just be honest at the club you sign up to regarding your current skill and motivations; you'll be teamed up with the right people on club days and have a blast. From my past experience as an adult beginner (who hacked around as a teenager, but didn't join a club until my mid-twenties), if you are able to commit to playing club days weekly or fortnightly and squeeze in a bit of regular practice, you'll benefit in many ways from the friendly competition, meet like-minded people, and have a score in the 80's before long.

When asked about playing old sticks, I maintain that using both old and modern clubs (depending on how I feel) is just a way of appreciating the game and keeping classic craftsmanship alive. It's no different to vintage motorbikes, bicycles, cars, turntables, etc. If anyone has a problem with that, they clearly have unresolved personal issues![/quote]PS also liked the other advice around here, of establishing your handicap on the clubs (old or new) that you wish to play.

I want to join a 'playing' club for: handicap, competition (to drive my focus), and access to courses that are private - they hold events that as a qualifier I could attend.

None of the clubs I've seen include membership at a course with a clubhouse (country club). That's something else (as far as I can tell).

In my case, NCGA is Northern California Golf Association.

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1427682821' post='11242929']I want to join a 'playing' club for: handicap, competition (to drive my focus), and access to courses that are private - they hold events that as a qualifier I could attend.

None of the clubs I've seen include membership at a course with a clubhouse (country club). That's something else (as far as I can tell).

In my case, NCGA is Northern California Golf Association.[/quote]That's a bummer. Many of the affordable golf clubs down under have a clubhouse, bar-restaurant-cafe, practice area, a small proshop and a resident pro. At the affordable end here, memberships are (approx USD) $500-$1000 per annum for full playing rights, and north of $1500 for a more exclusive club.