2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

(Crowd Sourced Distance Plan) - Further Down the Fairway has Less Divots

TL : DR Version:

What have you done to increase your swing speed? Lifting, overspeed, anything you found that works please let me know and I will update the bottom portion of this post to include an all encompassing workout/regimen.

After a few weeks I will start on this program and post updates, if anyone else wants to jump in that would be great.

Your swing speed sets the overall limit on how good of a golfer you can be.

Take for instance two golfers, Golfer A who can drive 280 and Golfer B that can drive 250. Assume at the start Golfer B has a better iron game, all things being equal if Golfer A can find a way to get the equivalent iron game, he will score lower than Golfer B as he will be 2 to 3 clubs closer to the bottom of his bag for his approach shots.

Because of this I have been reading through many of the posts here and other sites and have found a wealth of knowledge regarding increasing swing speed. I believe that this community can collectively create an all encompassing swing speed program that can be used by many people to come.

PLEASE be as CONSTRUCTIVELY critical as you can. If anything seems wrong, let me know. i will update the subsequent post in this thread to show the most up to date information that we deem is helpful.

My goal is to create a breakdown of the core principles that increase swing speed.

Thank you in advance.

Lifting Portion (Monday-Wednesday-Friday)

• HIIT Cardio 20 mins

• Leg Press (5 sets @ 10 reps)
  • Power Clean (3 sets @ 8 reps)
  • Dead Lift (3 sets @ 10 reps)
  • Bench Press (4 sets @ 8 reps)
  • Shoulder Press (4 sets @ 8 reps)
  • Bent Over Rows (4 sets @ 10 reps)

Overspeed Training - 10 reps right handed swings then 10 left handed swings

• Heavy Weight
  • Normal Weight
  • Lite Weight

What would you add or change?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great topic and I hope people chime in here. I can tell you what I've been doing since I'm new to golf and have managed to increase my swing speed from mid 80's to 113 in just a few months -- and keep it on the fairway. Been playing since March. Before that - never played at all except to whack balls around for fun once a year at a driving range with no training. I'm 46 -- 5'10" and about 190 trying to get down to 175 for the summer.

I do regular workouts at the gym 4-6 times a week. This is 20 mins HIIT cardio with a following session of heavy weights per body part that I am working that day (chest/back day --- leg/abs day --- arms day -- shoulders/abs day). Nothing golf specific - just all around fitness and weight training.

I am using Swing Speed Training clubs from these guys: [url="http://superspeedgolf.com"]http://superspeedgolf.com[/url]
And the workout is fairly simple with the clubs they provide - every other day you do this: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwS_Je4Tg6g"]https://www.youtube....h?v=hwS_Je4Tg6g[/url]

There is another company who makes these speed trainer clubs but when I wanted to buy them -- they were out of stock (too bad because they were cheaper) and so I bought these instead. I'm happy.

The other thing I do is isometric resistance band holds that are designed to increase fast twitch muscle fibers. This is another thing I found on the web that really seems to help in giving you a solid golf centric workout and is supposed to increase fast twitch muscle - which is needed to increase swing speed. [url="http://www.athleticquickness.com/golfswingspeed.asp"]http://www.athleticq...fswingspeed.asp[/url]

I do this every other day as well just before or after my Swing speed sessions. the whole thing takes about 25 minutes or so. And yes I am sweating and panting throughout the whole speed training session.

My goal is to get up to a playable 115 average and I think that I can do that in a few more months. I use a blue speed radar for training and hitting balls at the range to gauge my speed.

I also use a golf around the world Power Swing Fan which I find helps immensely with forcing on plane lag and getting the hips moving first in the downswing. I wish they made a bigger one as I can overpower this one now, but I swing this one slow and easy several times a day while watching golf channel. Just to keep the hips moving first. Really seems to help me and I can feel it translating out on the course.

It is a long haul. There is no quick path. Since I've started I am now averaging driver at 108 after being warmed up and a slow easy swing for me is around 98-100. I peak out at 113. This is slow for many - I see high school kids hitting 108 at the range like they just woke up. But for ME - this is what I am doing and I have seen very real success.

[quote name='David69' timestamp='1434077115' post='11736182']
Great topic and I hope people chime in here. I can tell you what I've been doing since I'm new to golf and have managed to increase my swing speed from mid 80's to 113 in just a few months -- and keep it on the fairway. Been playing since March. Before that - never played at all except to whack balls around for fun once a year at a driving range with no training. I'm 46 -- 5'10" and about 190 trying to get down to 175 for the summer.
[/quote]

Those are pretty awesome gains! We have almost identical stats as I am 5'10 190 and need to be 175.

I do regular workouts at the gym 4-6 times a week. This is 20 mins HIIT cardio with a following session of heavy weights per body part that I am working that day (chest/back day --- leg/abs day --- arms day -- shoulders/abs day). Nothing golf specific - just all around fitness and weight training.
[/quote]
I agree 100% - train like an athlete and become a better golfer.

I am using Swing Speed Training clubs from these guys: [url="http://superspeedgolf.com"]http://superspeedgolf.com[/url]
And the workout is fairly simple with the clubs they provide - every other day you do this: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwS_Je4Tg6g"]https://www.youtube....h?v=hwS_Je4Tg6g[/url]

There is another company who makes these speed trainer clubs but when I wanted to buy them -- they were out of stock (too bad because they were cheaper) and so I bought these instead. I'm happy.
[/quote]

I think I bought the other brand you mentioned and I was seeing a lift in CHS before I sprained my foot in the least interesting way possible.

The other thing I do is isometric resistance band holds that are designed to increase fast twitch muscle fibers. This is another thing I found on the web that really seems to help in giving you a solid golf centric workout and is supposed to increase fast twitch muscle - which is needed to increase swing speed. [url="http://www.athleticquickness.com/golfswingspeed.asp"]http://www.athleticq...fswingspeed.asp[/url]

I do this every other day as well just before or after my Swing speed sessions. the whole thing takes about 25 minutes or so. And yes I am sweating and panting throughout the whole speed training session.
[/quote]

For the sake of time and consistency I was thinking of structuring the workout as 3-4 days in the gym (cardio separate or combined) and having the swing speed workouts on the "off" days. Sprinkle in some Yoga for flexibility.

Have you ever tried that golf specific Yoga? [url="http://www.yogaforgolfers.com/"]http://www.yogaforgolfers.com/[/url]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

This may be a little long winded and sound a bit odd, but when I started (2002), I knew absolutely nothing about the swing, equipment, etc. I just knew I could hit the ball much farther than most people I played with but was completely ignorant as to why.

I won some "fitting" thing in a long drive contest and when I was getting it done and speaking with the guy he was asking me what training, etc. I did to get a fast head speed. I said none and really had no idea why I was faster than most. It was just how I swung. He then asked me about other sports I did. No baseball/hockey, etc. We landed on racquetball. I used to play quite a bit. He said that was probably it. Years later, I come to find out that some long drive guys (Sean Fister mainly) hit racquetballs to train. I guess it helps with the combination of body turn and holding lag a bit to create a whip. I'm certainly no pro on this, but ended up doing the Remax thing at a low level for a bit. Now, kids and age have taken me right out of that game for sure!

Best of luck!

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

[quote name='driverwedge' timestamp='1434125545' post='11739066']
This may be a little long winded and sound a bit odd, but when I started (2002), I knew absolutely nothing about the swing, equipment, etc. I just knew I could hit the ball much farther than most people I played with but was completely ignorant as to why.

I won some "fitting" thing in a long drive contest and when I was getting it done and speaking with the guy he was asking me what training, etc. I did to get a fast head speed. I said none and really had no idea why I was faster than most. It was just how I swung. He then asked me about other sports I did. No baseball/hockey, etc. We landed on racquetball. I used to play quite a bit. He said that was probably it. Years later, I come to find out that some long drive guys (Sean Fister mainly) hit racquetballs to train. I guess it helps with the combination of body turn and holding lag a bit to create a whip. I'm certainly no pro on this, but ended up doing the Remax thing at a low level for a bit. Now, kids and age have taken me right out of that game for sure!

Best of luck!
[/quote]

Racquetball is awesome for cardio too. That sounds like a really good idea for possibly killing two birds with one stone.

[quote name='Gamble Gamble' timestamp='1434126057' post='11739124']
[quote name='driverwedge' timestamp='1434125545' post='11739066']

Best of luck!
[/quote]

Racquetball is awesome for cardio too. That sounds like a really good idea for possibly killing two birds with one stone.
[/quote]

Sure is! I've never been technical about my swing. The longer I stand over the ball, the worse the shot will be. I just try to hit a ball like I'm going for a kill shot in racquetball. Or trying to skip a stone with my right hand. Now, if I can find the ball after I hit it is another discussion completely!

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

take a salsa/similar type dance class once a week - works on cardio, fast twitch muscles in your hips/core and works on maintaining balance, footwork (transition) and focus.

...i know some may laugh...but seriously.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

[quote name='David69' timestamp='1434136047' post='11740258']
Salsa dancing is no joke-- neither is yoga - both difficult and physically demanding. But there are only so many hours in the day... ha ha
[/quote]

That is the goal, to find a regimen that is repeatable but covers 3 of the 4 areas that influence speed:[list]
[*]overspeed
[*]strength - gym
[*]flexibility - yoga
[/list]
Is there anything else that you think would be helpful?

Salsa dancing is no joke-- neither is yoga - both difficult and physically demanding. But there are only so many hours in the day... ha ha
[/quote]

Your lifting light weights. Once you master the technique, you should go heavy (3-6 reps max). Doing some golf specific movements (things like diagonal chops) on top of the basic strength is a decent idea. Once you get a good strength basis, plyometrics (med ball throws, box jumps, squat jumps, lateral bounding, explosive pushups,.....) needed to be added. Golf is more on the speed end of the strength/speed continum.

And yeah you need to find 20 mins day to work on either developing or maintaining flexibility.

And it should be mentioned that none of this matters if your technique is wrong.

[quote name='JustTheTips' timestamp='1434376994' post='11754104']
[/quote]

Your lifting light weights. Once you master the technique, you should go heavy (3-6 reps max). Doing some golf specific movements (things like diagonal chops) on top of the basic strength is a decent idea. Once you get a good strength basis, plyometrics (med ball throws, box jumps, squat jumps, lateral bounding, explosive pushups,.....) needed to be added. Golf is more on the speed end of the strength/speed continum.

And yeah you need to find 20 mins day to work on either developing or maintaining flexibility.

And it should be mentioned that none of this matters if your technique is wrong.
[/quote]

Agree on this 100%. Form & flexibility reign in this world.

Also one of my college friends has a degree in excercise science and says you should always do 8-10 minimum on large lift leg exercises.

I think you are overdoing your gym work volume tbh. Check out a 5x5 program or if you are more experienced a Wendler 5/3/1 (I aint doing jack sh!t) or MadCow coupled with your overspeed training. I would also shift the HIIT to offdays (tues/thurs). Also have a you done HIIT before because it is no joke so feel free to take it a bit easy at first.

Lastly hitting balls? That is a decent workout especially with a driver at max speed which ultimately is your goal. So to translate this to real world bombs, make that a part of your routine.

Good thread though rooting for you.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

Today at range: everything over 108 today. Most in the 110-111 range and I'd say at least half of my drives were playable. I was really going for it though. I bought a new driver that comes in the mail tomorrow - the Big Bertha 815 DBD. Gonna see if that brings the spin down. Gotta say that I'm happy so far with my progress and results. Gonna keep at it.

Swing%20Speed%20June%2016%202015%20-%201_zpstcbrjz9s.jpgSwing%20Speed%20June%2016%202015%20-%202_zpsw2pz9i9i.jpg

Swing%20Speed%20June%2016%202015%20-%203_zpszkcfo7lb.jpgSwing%20Speed%20June%2016%202015%20-%204_zpssu8rjgyz.jpg

[quote name='Yrrdead' timestamp='1434427712' post='11759666']
I think you are overdoing your gym work volume tbh. Check out a 5x5 program or if you are more experienced a Wendler 5/3/1 (I aint doing jack sh!t) or MadCow coupled with your overspeed training. I would also shift the HIIT to offdays (tues/thurs). Also have a you done HIIT before because it is no joke so feel free to take it a bit easy at first.

Lastly hitting balls? That is a decent workout especially with a driver at max speed which ultimately is your goal. So to translate this to real world bombs, make that a part of your routine.

Good thread though rooting for you.
[/quote]

After testing out the full body workout, I think I am going to stick with a 3 day split program, 2 days at the range, 2 yoga days, and HIIT cardio on the off lifting days with a jogging day sprinkled in.

[u][b]Gym at Lunch[/b][/u]:
Monday - Legs/Abs
Weds - Chest/Arms
Thurs - Back/Shoulders

[u][b]HIIT Cardio[/b][/u] (morning)
Tues
Fri

[u][b]Yoga[/b][/u]:
Tuesday Night
+ floating free night

It is pretty similar to my normal program (minus the yoga) that I used before I bashed my foot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got back from Monte's clinic and realized a few things:

1. My distance loss was entirely mechanical.

2. In order to gain speed the best way is to speed up the arms without wrenching the body through the shot prematurely.

3. If you want to gain speed, hit shots as hard as you can with a half backswing. (With good fundamentals)

4. My swing speed radar is off by 10 mph but slower not faster like most are.

5. Lifting/cardio/yoga regimen started to make me crave healthier foods so things are getting better on the health front