2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Skygolf

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='cmmgolflab' timestamp='1443554011' post='12385466']
I usually don't bad mouth people or companies, but I've had it with Skygolf.

Been a customer of theirs since 2009 when I purchased an SG5. March of2012 I upgraded to new SGXw. In August of 2013 the SGXw quit working. Long story short the GPS antenna went bad on it. Since it was out of warranty, I was out of luck. Skygolf graciously offered to exchange my unit for a "refurbished" replacement for the cost of $90. After a little back and forth, they kindly reduced the refurbished unit to $60.

After two years, the refurbished unit won't last an 18 hole round. I don't play a ton of golf (20-25 rounds per summer). I contacted Skygolf again and they informed that I could send the unit for a battery replacement for $45. That's the end of the line for me.

It drives me crazy when a company will not stand behind their product. I've spent over $600 on equipment (GPS units, accessories, etc) and $300 on memberships over the last 6 years. I'm done doing business with a company like this.

That said, what company and device would you recommend for a replacement?
[/quote]I would not have a Skygolf product if they gave it to me!! I have had three and the last one was their Breeze model which I bought due to an attractive trade in program on the one I had at the time, a 2.5 I think. I had to Breeze for just over a year and it froze up, likely a software issue. I called and was curtly told that my warranty was up, by about 10 days as I recall, and all they could do was to offer a refurbished Breeze for $90.00+/-!! The whole time I owned their products I had rather frequent contact with their "support" people and really feel that the only company I am aware of that has worse customer service is Comcast!!

Ping G sf Driver 10*
TISI 3 Wood 14*
G-25 Hybrids 17*,20*, 23*
G Irons 5-UW with Steelfibre i80
Ping Ketch Putter, or Ping Scottsdale Anser BeNi

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I bought a SGXw when they first came out. I have never had an issue with the hardware or software. I play around 75 rounds a year and still get good battery life. I find it to almost always be within a yard of the center of green yardages marked on my course's sprinkler heads. I really find the yardages to and over hazards to be useful. I am on my second 3 year subscription and have resisted upgrading to the new touch model as I find the one I have very easy to use. I guess I am really fortunate that I have never had to deal with SGs customer service dept. When this one dies, I will probably look at getting a watch to replace it.

It's goodbye to SkyGolf for me. I've been a member and a holder for the last 5 years and have another 1.5 years left on my current membership but my 1.5 year old SGXW has quit. It will no longer sync with my computer so that basically makes the unit worthless to me. I'm SO disappointed in SkyGolf's customer service and product support. These things arent' cheap, especially adding the subscription fee on top of the unit cost. I viewed it as a premium unit and expected premium service to go along with it but sadly it's not to be.

I am also waving goodbye to SkyGolf with my membership running out in March. Largest problem is that the SGX simply is no longer reliable in charging. It says it is but actually does nothing meaning it is dead. I have already changed battery once and that did not help so now giving up

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Frankfurt

[quote name='cmmgolflab' timestamp='1443554011' post='12385466']
I usually don't bad mouth people or companies, but I've had it with Skygolf.

Been a customer of theirs since 2009 when I purchased an SG5. March of2012 I upgraded to new SGXw. In August of 2013 the SGXw quit working. Long story short the GPS antenna went bad on it. Since it was out of warranty, I was out of luck. Skygolf graciously offered to exchange my unit for a "refurbished" replacement for the cost of $90. After a little back and forth, they kindly reduced the refurbished unit to $60.

After two years, the refurbished unit won't last an 18 hole round. I don't play a ton of golf (20-25 rounds per summer). I contacted Skygolf again and they informed that I could send the unit for a battery replacement for $45. That's the end of the line for me.

It drives me crazy when a company will not stand behind their product. I've spent over $600 on equipment (GPS units, accessories, etc) and $300 on memberships over the last 6 years. I'm done doing business with a company like this.

That said, what company and device would you recommend for a replacement?
[/quote]

Yes I bought a Skycaddie 2 1/2 years and am very dissatisfied with them. They sent me an up date which I downloaded and the unit froze up. There were only 7 days left on the warranty so I returned it to my retailer an they said this was happening to a lot of them. I got a new unit with no warranty and am afraid to up load any new info so use it with basic info in Canada but does not work in US. When my subscription runs out in May I will toss it in the garbage and buy a Garmin with Free subscription . Shame on you Skygolf!!

I've been using Skycaddies for close to 10 years now. Got very very early Skycaddie 2 (serial port) and used it until the SGX came out when I bought one of them. Still using it a lot. I play 150+ courses a year and usually about 60-80 different ones each year. (like the other person mention, i'm probably over 10k per year in golf items, easily0.

SGX lasts 2 rounds and sometimes 54 holes in a day depending upon how fast the rounds are.

unit has been replaced a couple of times in the first 3 months due to issues with it. But since then has run like the proverbial bunny. Software loading is terrible and software support is lousy to say the least. And personally, the person/people that designed their software loading process should be taken out and shot. If he'd been working for me, I'd fired him. (I work in the software industry so I do know what can and can't be done in software.)

Last winter I was torn and bought a Golf Buddy voice and have been using that the last few months since i've been playing courses that I've played hundreds of times. Going to Vegas in a week and will be playing 10-12 rouns in 7 days and am just firing up and transferring the courses to the SGX (and chargiing up both it and the Golf Buddy. Have it on my golf hat. Used to carry SGX right on back of bag where when I went to back to get clubs I could quickly glance at it.

Subscriptions are a pain but fact of life and not the most expensive part of playing golf.

Have buddy that has used for the last three years a Garmin G6 and he loves it. Been super reliable for him. G7 and G8 are not legal for posting scores - so if you truly follow the rules, you can't use them, even with the new 2016 rules (give distance on SLOPE and that's illegal.

Used to use SkyCaddie 2.5, have since moved on to the SkyCaddie app for my iPhone 6+ and couldn't be more pleased. (Well, I guess I could if they lowered the subscription fee.) Yardages given by the app are pretty much spot on with those given by a SkyCaddie device, so for one who like the information a SkyCaddie provides it might be worth considering that option.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

[quote name='mwmgolfx' timestamp='1447991451' post='12622602']
I've been using Skycaddies for close to 10 years now. Got very very early Skycaddie 2 (serial port) and used it until the SGX came out when I bought one of them. Still using it a lot. I play 150+ courses a year and usually about 60-80 different ones each year. (like the other person mention, i'm probably over 10k per year in golf items, easily0.

SGX lasts 2 rounds and sometimes 54 holes in a day depending upon how fast the rounds are.

unit has been replaced a couple of times in the first 3 months due to issues with it. But since then has run like the proverbial bunny. Software loading is terrible and software support is lousy to say the least. And personally, the person/people that designed their software loading process should be taken out and shot. If he'd been working for me, I'd fired him. (I work in the software industry so I do know what can and can't be done in software.)

Last winter I was torn and bought a Golf Buddy voice and have been using that the last few months since i've been playing courses that I've played hundreds of times. Going to Vegas in a week and will be playing 10-12 rouns in 7 days and am just firing up and transferring the courses to the SGX (and chargiing up both it and the Golf Buddy. Have it on my golf hat. Used to carry SGX right on back of bag where when I went to back to get clubs I could quickly glance at it.

Subscriptions are a pain but fact of life and not the most expensive part of playing golf.

Have buddy that has used for the last three years a Garmin G6 and he loves it. Been super reliable for him. G7 and G8 are not legal for posting scores - so if you truly follow the rules, you can't use them, even with the new 2016 rules (give distance on SLOPE and that's illegal.
[/quote]

According to the new rules for 2016-2019,as long as the slope feature /"plays like" can be turned off and is not used, then it's legal effective 1/1/2016. What I don't know is if the plays like feature can be turned off or not on the - 7 and - 8.

• 2 weeks later...

With you on that. It's unreal just how awful some of these aids can be. I use flight scope, trackman, and sand labs. Just backed DuoTrac Golf as well. My biggest concerns with things like Zepp or Hudl are that that I am not getting stats on what the ball is doing. Alongside that, the data on my swings tend to fluctuate. I also think that everyone is looking for a competitive edge in the game.