Poker Style Golf

Has anyone tried to play Poker Style Golf.

I was wondering - Do you Ante on each hole and then bet before or after you all hit the tee shots?

Sounds like a totally fun way to play - I might have to make an app to handle the chips though.. I can't figure out any way to keep track of the chips by hand. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Mazin1' timestamp='1444646593' post='12444554']
I'd say antie before tee off and then bet on shots, the winner of the hole gets the pot. As for chips, use painted tee's? Never thought of playing poker golf but I'm going to have to give it a try!
[/quote]

I heard about it a few years ago. It just sounds like something different to mix up the usual games. I was able to find an app for the DROID on Amazon Apps to handle chips. In the instructions it does sound like you don't bet until after you hit your first shot. Makes sense - since you don't bet in poker until after you see your first card(s).

Are you talking about this one? (below) Because that one sounds like it pays to miss greens and chip close to the hole for one putts. I would say I average about 17 feet on greens I hit and about 5 feet on greens I miss. This might be fun once in a while - but I prefer the whole game being rewarded or a competition. Heck in this one - you can make a 9 and get a card if you happen to one putt it.

If it's not this one - please post a link or a synopsis of it. This was the only one I could find online.
[color=#000000][size=1]
[size="4"][b][u]‘Poker Golf’ Rules[/u][/b][/size][/size][/color]
[color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"][b][u]Object of the Game:[/u][/b][/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"]Get the best poker hand among all golfers and win the pot.[/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"][b][u]Definitions:[/u][/b][/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"]A ‘Putt’ is defined to be any stroke taken [u]on the green[/u]. A ball played from anywhere off the boundaries of the green or on the ‘fringe’ is not deemed to be a ‘putt’. Once you begin to ‘putt’, every stroke taken from that point on is deemed to be a ‘putt’.[/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"][b][u]The Play:[/u][/b][/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"]Each player antes a pre-determined amount ($1 is a good number) for the round. [b]One (1) playing card will be awarded for the ante[/b].[/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"]As each hole is played, [b]one (1) additional playing card will be awarded each time a player makes a one-putt[/b].[/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"][b]Note: Two additional playing cards will be awarded for a ‘no-putt’, no matter how it is accomplished[/b] ie. Hole-in-one, hole-out from the fairway, chip-in, putt-in from the fringe, etc.)[/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"][b]$1 will be added to the pot by any player who three-putts.[/b][/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"][b]$1 will be added to the pot and 1 card will be [/b][b][u]deducted[/u][/b][b] from that player’s hand each time a player takes more than 3 putts.[/b][/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"]The scorer records all one-putts, three-putts and more-than-three-putts.[/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"]At the end of the round, all money owing is collected and all cards earned are dealt. Best poker hand takes the pot. See the ‘Poker Play’ section.[/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"][b][u]Example:[/u][/b][/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"]Player A has 3 one-putts and 2 three-putts. At the conclusion of the round, he is dealt 4 cards (one card for the ante plus one card for each of his one-putts) and he puts an additional $2 in the pot because of his two three-putts.[/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"]Player B has 1 one-putts and 3 three-putts and 1 four putt. At the conclusion of the round, he is dealt only 1 card (one card for the ante plus one card for his one-putt minus 1 card for the four putt) and he puts an additional $4 in the pot because of his two three-putts and one four putt … and so on with all players.[/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"][b][u]Strategy:[/u][/b][/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"]Get as many 'one-putts' or 'no-putts' as possible (get as many playing cards as possible to increase your chances for a good poker hand) while getting as few three-or-more putts as possible. As Al ‘Hotshot’ Hanley would say, "Aim for the fringes".[/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"][b][u]Poker Play:[/u][/b][/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"]All Cards will be dealt at the conclusion of the round from a standard 52 card deck.[/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"]The Dealer is the player with the most one-putts and least three putts. In case of a tie, cut for the deal – high card deals.[/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"]The Dealer shuffles and then deals one card [b]face up[/b] to each player around the table and then deals extra earned cards as necessary, one at a time face up to each player going around the table. Best poker hand (no restriction on number of cards used) wins the pot. Nothing wild.[/size][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=1]
[size="3"]Hand Ranking, low to high: High card; pair; 2 pair; 3 of a kind; straight; flush; full house; 4 of a kind; straight flush; royal flush.[/size][/size][/color]

[quote name='BendGolfer' timestamp='1444721496' post='12449044']
Are you talking about this one? (below) Because that one sounds like it pays to miss greens and chip close to the hole for one putts. I would say I average about 17 feet on greens I hit and about 5 feet on greens I miss. This might be fun once in a while - but I prefer the whole game being rewarded or a competition. Heck in this one - you can make a 9 and get a card if you happen to one putt it.

If it's not this one - please post a link or a synopsis of it. This was the only one I could find online.
[/quote]

Yes this is it. I can definitely see how yours can be fun since it rewards overall play and essentially you're playing 18 hands, so if you have a bad 1st hole(hand), you can still get it back later. I think the one mentioned though can be fun as well because it gives high HC a chance to get cards too. Plus it's more random and a gamble at the end at the 19th hole because all the money is on 1 hand.

Do let me know how it goes!

[quote name='Juice__25' timestamp='1444728908' post='12449150']
[quote name='BendGolfer' timestamp='1444721496' post='12449044']

[/quote]

Yes this is it. I can definitely see how yours can be fun since it rewards overall play and essentially you're playing 18 hands, so if you have a bad 1st hole(hand), you can still get it back later. I think the one mentioned though can be fun as well because it gives high HC a chance to get cards too. Plus it's more random and a gamble at the end at the 19th hole because all the money is on 1 hand.

Do let me know how it goes!
[/quote]

OK tried it yesterday with my group and it was fun - but a real pain in the butt to keep track of the CHIPS. I am going to try a droid app later today to see if that helps.

FYI - One of our dudes thought he was the golf version of Phil Helmuth and went all in on the 2nd hold because he hit the green in 2 and we all had SW in our hand for our 3rd (Par 5). Needless to stay - we called - stuffed them tight and he 3 putted. ha ha ha A lot more strategy than you would think in this game. Everyone enjoyed it.

It definitely has a different twist to the game. The interesting part is it actually adds a lot more pressure than a simple skin does. I love that pressure... getting used to pressure is importan

I struggled to figure out how to work handicaps in. On the holes where the guys sstroked - we let them hit their second shots before we starting the betting process.

So it went like this. Player A,B - no strokes. Player C,D stroke. All players hit tee shot. Players C and D hit second shot. First bets were made. Everyone hit another shot - Second bets were made. Hole was then finished.

Anyone have a better idea how to mix handicaps into this. I am all for no handicaps, but that isn't realistic.

I'd do something like this so that it would incorporate a dual match/stroke play incentive:

- Elect a banker before the round, usually the most trustworthy of the group. The banker's duties will be to collect tees at the end of each hole, distribute them to the winner(s) at the end of each hole, and also to keep the round kitty safe. More on the round kitty below.

- Assign players to one of four tee colors. Tees are all worth the same pre-determined amount, .25, .50, or 1.00 is probably easiest for tallying sake

- Each player antes a pre-determined amount before the first player tees off for the round, usually a single tee, but could be any amount agreed upon by all players.

- Each player is trying to hit par on each hole from the blocks selected at the beginning of the round

- Players bet on their level of confidence they can hit par directly after taking a shot before seeing the exact lie of the shot taken

- Players can fold at any time, and relinquish any claims on what they've already bet into the pot

- Players may not check until they are putting on the surface of the green meaning they must either bet, or fold until they are on the green. The fringe does not count in this situation.

- Players putting for birdie, or better may check, or decide to bet more into the pot on each negative stroke-to-par chance knowing that a miss means they are building the pot for other players.

- Low score wins the pot for the hole. If more than one player scores the same par-or-better score, the players with that same score split the pot evenly.

- If no player scores under par all best go into a round kitty held by the round's banker.

- This kitty grows each hole until the end of the round. The low-stroke score for the round claims all tees in the kitty. If multiple players have the same stroke score for the round, the kitty is distributed evenly amongst those players. Alternate rules can be applied in this case depending on the determination of those vying for the kitty, i.e. putting contest on the practice green, replaying the final hole if permissible, etc.

- To keep up pace of play, all tees which are distributed at the completion of a hole are not to be tallied until the completion of the round at which time individual players must settle their tabs.

- Once a player has relinquished a tee, and considering each tee has the same monetary value, each player can bet any tee which comes into their possession when a betting round occurs. This does not change the amount of money owed by the initial player, only the person to whom that player owes money.

I hadn't thought about pace of play - luckily my group plays pretty fast. But I can see where someone wavering on calling or not could take too long. I think the key is going to be to simplify the accounting part. With simple accounting I think it will be something we keep in the mix for the weekly games.

FWIW - we all put 40 in the pot. 25 each went to 1st (100)and 15 each (60) went to second.

[quote name='BendGolfer' timestamp='1444753172' post='12450444']
Whoa that's a lot of tees... and sounds complex. but sounds fun.
[/quote]

I don't think it would all that complex in play. It's more complex to lay out. The more experienced you are with stud, or limit poker the easier it would be to pick up, I suppose. Then again, I just came up with it off the top of my head, so I really have no idea about the real world application. lol

As for the tees, limiting them to one per bet, and allowing the players to use any other players betting tees they have in their possession would cut down on overall tees a lot, I think. Each player would be using a max of 3 - 5 tees per hole, and they'd be trading them back/forth after a couple holes, so I wouldn't expect more than a few dozen to be in overall play broken up amongst four players at any one time.

Tried the new app last evening and it works awesome. It was $3.99 U.S. and worth it!

My buddies looked for it for an iPhone and could not find it. I found it on Amazon App Store - Google Amazon Ultimate Poker Style Golf.

This is my new favorite style game. Definitely adds some strategy to the game.. and it's a great game for handicaps within 7 or 8 strokes of each other.

[quote name='BendGolfer' timestamp='1444838819' post='12455314']
Tried the new app last evening and it works awesome. It was $3.99 U.S. and worth it!

My buddies looked for it for an iPhone and could not find it. I found it on Amazon App Store - Google Amazon Ultimate Poker Style Golf.

This is my new favorite style game. Definitely adds some strategy to the game.. and it's a great game for handicaps within 7 or 8 strokes of each other.
[/quote]

I'm definitely interested in playing this now, I am going to try to find an iPhone app to help.

Plus how about this for a somewhat solution to the handicap problem. What if there was a weighted buy-in.

For example, buy-in is $40. There is an agreed upon weighted buy-in ratio.
The 3 HC pays the full $40
The 10 pays $31
The 12 pays $29
And the 22 pays $20.
Then everyone gets the same amount of chips or tees. Sure the 3 has to pay more but the odds of him winning are greater. The 22 will most likely lose but he only paid half and maybe he gets lucky! Heck sometimes my stepdad joins our foursome when one of us can't make it and he's lucky to break 115. I would probably let him in for a dollar or something. He still gets to bet and be apart of the group.

I know it's not perfect and I could see someone trying to baby their money and not bet knowing they'll lose it anyways, but idk, what do you think?

Oh good thinking.... as an alternative - you could give higher handicaps more chips. The app lets you assign starting chip stacks.
So it could be something like this

0-5 $50K
5-10 $60K
11-15 $70k
15+ $80K

More chips more room for error. And remember pumping one OB off the tee and you fold and it costs you only the ante!

A high handicapper who bets wisely and makes 3-4 pars could clean up!