Where do you buy your clubs locally?

Okay..sure..we have such a small choice of options to buy clubs here in Honolulu, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts of the shops are.

In my opinion the absolute best place is Roots. Just because the options are huge and with guys like Tony and Rick selling their old stuff there, you'll be sure ot find heads that have been reshafted with some spectacular shafts. :rolleyes: The prices are easily the best in the State and as some of you know...being a frequent purchaser does have it's advantages that 90 day warranties cannot touch.

Roger Dunns....I like visiting this place because you can actually hit everything they have. The putting green is great. I can spend an hour trying every new putter available. They're used club sectoin is growing larger then their new clubs. I guess when they brought that 90 day warranty to Hawaii, they never realized how all the people were so used to buying and selling clubs at Roots. With the warranty, they just made it too easy to ho.

Pro Am...Highest prices in town. Also, did anyone notice that the sales guys are a bunch of plicks. (spelling error on purpose) I've never seen a bunch of guys who have their noses so high ini the air. I can't stand standing at the register while they screw around. They make it seem like you should be honored that you get to purchase something from them.

Par 72...too much stuff that I can't afford. They're are best resource for Japanese "unobtainable's: Where else were we able to find Golds Factory stuff, Como Come and Iomics until they arrived. Plus, that club makers pretty cool too. :drinks:

Hana...as stated in another thread...I hate getting the feeling that the shop guys think I'm going to steal. I don't like to be followed around and I detest having someone tell me the wrong information about clubs.

Golf Course Pro Shops,,,I love Leilehua's shop, Millilani is great too. (Nice Pro over there :cheesy: ) Navy Marine is also pretty well supplied.

Alright.........what are your thoughts? :blink:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh you scared me for a second...I clicked on your W/I/T/B and the first thing I saw was "PING" and I thought you had gone over the deep end and bought Ping irons. :drinks:

p. s. I'm not from Hawaii but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. :rolleyes:

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Hey Mac...nice to see you drop by! :rolleyes: There are big changes happening in my bag but Ping is far from it. Even if DiMarco is one of my favorite players. :drinks:

Anyways...Mac...I know Roots is one of your favorite stores here in Honolulu. :cheesy:

Okay..sure..we have such a small choice of options to buy clubs here in Honolulu, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts of the shops are.

In my opinion the absolute best place is Roots. Just because the options are huge and with guys like Tony and Rick selling their old stuff there, you'll be sure ot find heads that have been reshafted with some spectacular shafts. :drinks: The prices are easily the best in the State and as some of you know...being a frequent purchaser does have it's advantages that 90 day warranties cannot touch.

Roots is my favorite place to ho. I have been buying and selling with Kieth for more years than I care to admit. He has great prices and the staff takes very good care of me. Occasionally, you find some exotic stuff and he gives you a fair shake on trade ins. The best by far.

Roger Dunns....I like visiting this place because you can actually hit everything they have. The putting green is great. I can spend an hour trying every new putter available. They're used club sectoin is growing larger then their new clubs. I guess when they brought that 90 day warranty to Hawaii, they never realized how all the people were so used to buying and selling clubs at Roots. With the warranty, they just made it too easy to ho.

I like RD's since I can check out the new equipment and find stuff that Roots may not have gotten yet. The exchange policy if tailor made for ho'ing. I like the selection of exchanged equipment, although they ususally don't stock too many items in X-stiff. I guess that is not much of an issue, since I usually change the shaft out anyway.

Pro Am...Highest prices in town. Also, did anyone notice that the sales guys are a bunch of plicks. (spelling error on purpose) I've never seen a bunch of guys who have their noses so high ini the air. I can't stand standing at the register while they screw around. They make it seem like you should be honored that you get to purchase something from them.

I have never really gotten a "warm and fuzzy" feeling while shopping in there. The prices were always on the high side and I don't usually find what I want other than balls and gloves.

Par 72...too much stuff that I can't afford. They're are best resource for Japanese "unobtainable's: Where else were we able to find Golds Factory stuff, Como Come and Iomics until they arrived. Plus, that club makers pretty cool too. :D

A great place for me to get the rare Japan accessories that I want. Clubs are generally not suited to me, but the bags are awesome and that clubmaker is hell of a sandbagger(79!?)...er I mean guy. :diablo:

Hana...as stated in another thread...I hate getting the feeling that the shop guys think I'm going to steal. I don't like to be followed around and I detest having someone tell me the wrong information about clubs.

Not wasting my time going in after everyone elses comments. Thanks guys. I can definitely afford the stuff, but I hate the attitude and just because I can afford it doesn't mean I want to pay a lot.

Golf Course Pro Shops,,,I love Leilehua's shop, Millilani is great too. (Nice Pro over there ;) ) Navy Marine is also pretty well supplied.

Alright.........what are your thoughts? :diablo:

I don't do too much shopping at course pro shops mainly due to pricing and the fact that I was ho'ing mostly tour isse and high end stuff that most of them don't carry. I hear the pro at Mililani is a great guy :diablo: , although I haven't purchased anything from him....yet. :rolleyes:

Gosh you scared me for a second...I clicked on your W/I/T/B and the first thing I saw was "PING" and I thought you had gone over the deep end and bought Ping irons. ;)

p. s. I'm not from Hawaii but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. :cheesy:

Mac, Reid hasn't quite gone off the deep end yet...although sometimes I get the feeling that he is awful close! :blink: If you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, that's close enough for me! :)

yep i agree Roots is the best, kinda of like Cheers "where everybody know your name". the staff is great.

Second would have to be RD's. That 90 day policy is great, staff is pretty friendly.

Pro-am has been good to me, Wayne (the older haole man) is really cool to me. I guess its because I kind of know the japanese lady and man.

Par 72 has the Japan golf equipment, the club maker is not bad too :rolleyes: . Oh yeah I heard that he makes one hell of a wedge too. Cant wait Carl.

Bobby...Wayne?? The white haired guy??? That' s the one I can't stand the most. I swear...I've been in the shop thousands of times and he still acts like he doesn't know me. The owner is a friend of my Dad's and that still doesn't give me any "service". When I did on the rare occasion pick up something from Pro Am...I ONLY used to buy it from Phillip Chun since he's an old high school friend. Now that he's at RD's....I still only buy it when he's there. The other guys at RD's are getting better. Better then the NB guys. They seem to be a lot more knowledgeable but I think they could all still use a little GolfWRX education because they have no idea on what's coming out in the future.

I am firmly a Roots guy. The only thing I've bought from RD is a golf bag, but that was when they were Nevada Bob's and it was at the Pearl Highlands location where the guy was super nice.

But for the most part, lately I've been buying here or once in a great while on eBay (too many fakes and bad sellers). I grab deals where I see 'em.

I'm not too chatty of a guy when I'm shopping, and I don't go to Roots enough to be on a first name basis with the staff (I'm not THAT big a Ho). But I don't go there too much lately because their hours don't fit my schedule lately and it's always soooo busy when I do get a chance. Although I think part if it is also I'm afraid I'll walk outta there with something. The last time I went I traded in a SQ tour for a Mizuno Bettinardi. I just wanted to sell the driver.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

Bobby...Wayne?? The white haired guy??? That' s the one I can't stand the most. I swear...I've been in the shop thousands of times and he still acts like he doesn't know me. The owner is a friend of my Dad's and that still doesn't give me any "service". When I did on the rare occasion pick up something from Pro Am...I ONLY used to buy it from Phillip Chun since he's an old high school friend. Now that he's at RD's....I still only buy it when he's there. The other guys at RD's are getting better. Better then the NB guys. They seem to be a lot more knowledgeable but I think they could all still use a little GolfWRX education because they have no idea on what's coming out in the future.

Yep thats him. HAHAHAHAHA. Yeah they are really nice to me there. They give me a discount most of the time if I buy something from them.