2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Eyes wide shut

gsea33

Spent the last 5 days in NYC. Good weather & food, even it some balls at Chelsea Piers. First let me say the newest irons I have are 1997 Mizuno T-Zoid Trues and usually play my 1973 apexs. I do have some "modern" drivers, fairway woods. So I thought while I had time on my hands I would check out the 2 large golf stores in Manhattan, Golfsmith and NY Golf Center. It has been awhile since I have been in a "full service' golf store. Let me prerequisite this by saying in no way am I downing, insulting or questioning your "golfhood".

Upon first entering the stores there is nothing but shine off the new irons and there a many of them (100s). Sections of multiple accessories, clothes, shoes and misc. And of course racks of drivers, woods, hybrids etc. And of course fitting stalls.

What I took away from this experience is all the irons performed basically the same (tried 5 or 6 models) and none of them out performed my 73's. As far as drivers the heads are so big how could you miss hit. Setting up with one is akin to losing your virginity to a oversized girl. Works but not sexy at all. I had a lot of trouble making a good swing with these clubs. The light weight can really affect tempo also. Best for last, now I have never been fitted for clubs but I assume like anything else it has its good and bad. But the short time I was in these shops all I saw was very inexperience golfers getting handed all kind of shafts and heads mixed in with a little "instruction". Didn't see anyone pure a shot but saw a lot sales people going to the register with the fitting slip ringing out the customer for their new fitted clubs.

It was great experience just to reinforce my antiquated thinking of new is not always good and more often than not worse.

Story over, need to find a Hogan red, white, & blue staff bag.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to go to both of those stores when I worked for ___bank and ___bank.

Would stroll over at about 2pm and hit a bucket of balls with demo irons. It was one of the few FUN reasons to work in NYC.

PS: NY Golf used to have footjoy premium leather gloves (irregulars) priced at 50% off, & once in a while I found a decent used club.... :D

But you absolutely don't want to buy new clubs at MSRP and pay 8.25% tax to deblaz. That's what the classified ads are for on wrx.

I concur with your assessment on the state of affairs with new equipment. Have made several trips to LGS this off season (typically while killing some time), and have hit a few of the new things. While nice (in a shiny, new thing sort of way), certainly not that much better than preferred play sets and definitely not so once cost becomes part of the equation. Not to mention some of these new clubs are stone a** fugly IMO.

I keep reading < all the chatter about the necessity of being fitted into a set of clubs to realize one's full capabilities. I remain skeptical. Beyond covering a few of the basics such as proper length, a preferred weight, perhaps getting the lie angle zeroed in just right. Beyond that, as a golfer of middling abilities, I question the value. A lengthy data stream of trackman numbers become overwhelming and confusing after a point.

The only way I can tell if golf clubs are suitable long term is to play them, out on the course, in variable conditions, hitting off of grass. And usually comprising several rounds. From there I can make subjective judgements on how they feel and whether they require further modifications to make them better. Then again, I'm trying not to get bogged down with club spec in my mind, more concerned with executing a good swing regardless of what's in my hands.

Since discovering the enjoyment of playing classic modern clubs, there have been a few industry absolutes, as I have understood them, that have been "myth busted". As I say to the buds, I rather play mediocre golf (+/- 15 hdcp.) with a $150.00 set of irons (that I've tweaked) than same with $1000.00 ones.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

As far as drivers the heads are so big how could you miss hit. Setting up with one is akin to losing your virginity to a oversized girl. Works but not sexy at all.

:cheesy:

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

I have to agree with all. Nothing attractive about the huge drivers. I have three 460's, a Diablo, Adams Speedline, and a Ram Titanium. Performance is no better than a GBB. In my case, I've found that the GBB performs better than the original BB. but that BB is still an attractive and desirable club worthy of play, even if a bit shorter off the tee. And the GBB and BB play only a bit better than wood clubs, if that. What could be more attractive than persimmon (even laminated) woods?

Same with irons. Older forged models are a thing of beauty. The huge oversize irons may instill confidence in some players, but results mostly prove otherwise. Bobby Jones said he could adapt to any "modern" club. The key to golf is to develop a reasonably decent, consistent swing. Instead of fitting clubs to a poor swing, working towards a good swing is key. A good swing doesn't sell golf clubs, though.

My late father, not much of a golfer, was an accomplished billiard player. He marveled at some of the fancy cue sticks guys had. I even got him one as a gift. He used to say, a good player could use a broom handle. I have to agree, same with golf clubs.

Some fifteen years ago, I found that a $9 set of yard sale Haig Ultras played better than my $2K set of Tommy Armour ti-100's and King Cobra Titanium woods. Although I've bought modern clubs since then, always used or heavily discounted, I always go back to my Haigs or my 1975 Karstens. with vintage or modern vintage woods.

Ramblings on a cold late February morning.

I used to go to both of those stores when I worked for ___bank and ___bank.

Would stroll over at about 2pm and hit a bucket of balls with demo irons. It was one of the few FUN reasons to work in NYC.

PS: NY Golf used to have footjoy premium leather gloves (irregulars) priced at 50% off, & once in a while I found a decent used club.... :D

But you absolutely don't want to buy new clubs at MSRP and pay 8.25% tax to deblaz. That's what the classified ads are for on wrx.

Human nature, being what it is, is optimistic. Most guys rationalize that new clubs and fitting must be the answer to good golf. I have to stay away from golf stores, much the same as car dealerships. Too easy to buy something, especially if you're young.

Cheers!

Best for last, now I have never been fitted for clubs but I assume like anything else it has its good and bad.

Why get fitted to clubs if your swing needs improvement? That's like getting in a wheelchair because the first pushups are hard.

The key to golf is to develop a reasonably decent, consistent swing. Instead of fitting clubs to a poor swing, working towards a good swing is key. A good swing doesn't sell golf clubs, though.

Agreed. And, that's why I'm not interested in the game of golf 'growing'. Who cares if golf clubs don't get sold?

yes that is one thing i didn't mention price. screwing around with putters happened to turn one over it was $250. bet my life i can putt twice as well with my 30 yr old John Letters.

I've found I can miss a 4 footer with just about anything! Excited to shaft up this near mint little beauty I found locally on CL for a song. Cut down to 23" for a kid at this point. Always liked the original Odyssey Dual Force and really enjoy Tad Moore's contributions to these forums. Finally, his user name makes sense, lol...

Callaway Razr Fit 11.5*   Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65R

Ping G5 13.5*                  Aerotech Power Coil 50S                        

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider copper cobalt 35"